DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Upgrading RAM and Hard Drive

DJTJ916 6:27 PM - 21 October, 2014
Hey guys,

So I have an Asus laptop. 500gb hard drive, I3, 6 gb ram. Runs Serato DJ well. Don't have video so I don't know. But I am running it at the lowest latency.

I want to change the optical drive out for a 2 TB hard drive so I won't need an external hard drive. But I am also wondering if I should upgrade my ram. Is it worth it go to 8 or 16 gb?

Thanks for any input.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:42 PM - 21 October, 2014
yes
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:34 AM - 22 October, 2014
upgrade the hdd alright but I see no point in upgrading the ram if all you do is use this pc for djing,

if you were photo or video editing or other memory intensive opperations it would be recommended,

sdj does not need 6-8-16gb's of ram and you will not even notice a difference in sdj if you put 16gb of ram in it

as for doing video mixing, mac and mix emergencey are the only way to go,

serato video is shit compared to mix emergencey so remember that if you ever consider buying the video plug in,
djvtyme85 5:46 AM - 26 October, 2014
i beg to deffer my machine vs the exact same laptop my uncle has with 8gb is noticable while using sdj but on sl not at all. only after hours of usage so when you weigh in cost vs benefit you are probably right
DJMark 12:00 AM - 27 October, 2014
Quote:
i beg to deffer my machine vs the exact same laptop my uncle has with 8gb is noticable while using sdj but on sl not at all. only after hours of usage so when you weigh in cost vs benefit you are probably right

You're saying you see a noticeable difference in performance on the exact same laptop when configured with 8gb RAM versus 6gb with Serato DJ?

I find that a little hard to believe, since SDJ is still a 32-bit app and therefore not capable of addressing any more than 4gb RAM. Obviously the OS itself uses some RAM but probably not more than 2gb worth.

I'd suspect some other differences in configuration and/or settings within Windows are the real cause.

If your laptop is supposed to be fitted with two identical RAM modules (to take advantage of a dual-channel memory path), and instead you have a 2gb and a 4gb installed, that may also be the cause of performance differences.
GKIL 10:33 AM - 27 October, 2014
You definitely want to get the best equipment you can afford. however, as someone who uses both a 4gb ram macbook, as well as a 16gb macbook for DJing, i have no problems using my 4gb computer for mixing. I would have to say it's not crucial to upgrade ram, but definitely do it if you have the cash to spend.