DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

clone my mac drive to a windows drive

djattila 5:12 AM - 21 October, 2014
I need a software that will clone my contents in my mac formatted drive to a drive that is windows formatted. I recently picked up a windows computer and will like to use it as a back up.

The alternative to this is software that will read and write on a mac formatted drive from a windows computer but i prefer to use the drives according to their operating systems.

I have read about super duper but it only does mac to mac.
Macdrive is a software that will let me do what i want as far as reading and writing but like i said, i would prefer to have the drives formatted to the right operating system.

Let me know, any info will be appreciated
DJMark 6:06 AM - 21 October, 2014
You are smart to "prefer to have the drives formatted to the right operating system".

What (I think) you actually want to do is synchronize music libraries (and maybe other documents), obviously a straight clone from one OS to another won't work very well.

On Mac OS, I use an app called "File Synchronization" nemesys.dyndns.org. It works great for keeping my libraries in sync between my primary computer and backups, and it will definitely work with shared volumes (also with thunderbolt or firewire target disk mode). I've never tried it with a shared Windows volume though.

I've used that app for years, it's always worked well for me. If you try it, be sure to learn all the functions..."delete orphaned files" is very relevant to keeping a media library synced, for example.
djattila 6:16 AM - 21 October, 2014
Thanx for the quick response djmark.
How would it work in theory?

Ex: hook up a windows formatted drive to my Mac and tell the program to sync the folders I want between my Mac and the windows formatted drive?

Does this program have the ability to write on that windows formatted drive? If so I'm buying !!!
djnak 3:24 AM - 22 October, 2014
use "mac Drive" to read the drive and use "good sync" to sync both HD on a windows machine.....

although I can say macDrive will let a hsf+ formatted drive function flawlessly on a windows machine...I have all my drives formatted to hsf+ except my main os (windows) drive ....

I Used to be all like this

Quote:
You are smart to "prefer to have the drives formatted to the right operating system".

but over the years mac drive has performed so well I dont feel the need