Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato DJ - Video success stories please

DJ Amos Myth 3:29 PM - 12 October, 2014
Anyone successfully using Serato DJ for Video shows? Please describe your setup. How long are your sets?

I need some help from the serato forum hive mind. Since the release of 1.7.0, Serato no longer allows public posts on help requests and responses from them have been painfully slow and seemingly nonsensical (for instance, not recognizing or knowing how to view their own log files).

My story: I have yet to find a version of Serato DJ that is reliable for video using DVS. I've had a horrible time with 1.6.3, 1.7.0 & now 1.7.1. Issues include the program completely shutting down and locking up my computer, content disappearing from all crates (1.7.0 & 1.7.1) & sound spikes strong enough to make house compressors clamp down on the audio live as well as blowing the horn driver in my personal monitor. Dead air is now becoming the norm and I've had an issue on 4 of my last 5 gigs, with no relief in sight. My last update to 1.7.1 included a forced analyze of all files with NO corrupt files found. I use HD quality content from Promo Only on a mid 2012 MacBook Pro running OSX 10.9.5 with the OS and apps on an internal SSD and content on an internal HDD and external HDD. I mostly use a Rane Sixty Four with turntables, but have also had issues on my Vestax VCI-380.

I've been using Serato video mixing product since about 6 months after the release of Video SL and am very familiar with the product and strategies for setting up my hardware. My shows are normally 4+ hours in a club setting.
DJMark 9:23 PM - 12 October, 2014
Quote:
I have yet to find a version of Serato DJ that is reliable for video using DVS

That's why SL is still in very wide use. None of my friends who do video are using SDJ either.

SL+ME=works great, no need to fix what's not broken.

It's really too bad that the 64 mixer wasn't designed for compatibility with both SL and SDJ.
Code:E 10:52 PM - 12 October, 2014
I borrowed a numark NS6 for a couple of store gigs this long weekend, and well You're right Serato DJ sucks so much. I could go on for hours on how it needs to be improved. serato seems to be more concerned with developing paid expansions than fixing there base software.

I generally only do video shows and I really want to buy a DDJsp1, but until Serato DJ is fixed I like many other Video DJ's are sticking to SSL.
DJ Reflex 12:09 AM - 13 October, 2014
Have never tried SDJ for video, but a buddy of mine has. He's had only a few issues, but does not use any effects. He mostly just runs karaoke videos!

I use my TTM 57 yet and SSL for video. No problems here. Love it for video gigs.
djkurve 2:38 AM - 13 October, 2014
Two words....

MIX EMERGENCY!
DJ Baby Boy 4:17 AM - 13 October, 2014
I've been having great success with SDJ 1.7 and ME I will Never use VSL or Serato Video even though I did buy it way back when ... The issues that you are having can very well be due to using Serato Video as it's just not stable and is a resource hog ... Also I'm using a 62 with SDJ on a fully maxed out 2012 MBP
nik39 11:36 AM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
Since the release of 1.7.0, Serato no longer allows public posts on help requests

I don't like the change either. Plus it makes it even harder to educate yourself about possible issues with new versions. Really lame for us :(

For more details, read here:

serato.com <- click.

I have been using SDJ for a few weeks with ME - and it works okay. Definitely more resource hungry than SL. Plus I get a few audio drop outs (about a second) here and there. :( It's nasty but right now I can live with that. I mean back in the days with vinyls we also had to deal with imperfections. For me going from SL to SDJ is currently a downgrade in terms of stability and reliability. I like some of the new features, but very much dislike the User Interface.
lvmez 12:35 PM - 13 October, 2014
I was also using ME with SSL only with my 62 until a few weeks ago when I purchased a sixty-four. Now i'm forced to use Serato DJ. I'm not happy with lay out of serato DJ with ME. I have a maxed out 2013 MBP but I don't feel it as stable as SSL.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:20 PM - 13 October, 2014
Quote:
Two words....

MIX EMERGENCY!

+1 using Rane-sl3 and vci380 with sdj works fine.
Code:E 5:18 AM - 14 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Since the release of 1.7.0, Serato no longer allows public posts on help requests

I don't like the change either. Plus it makes it even harder to educate yourself about possible issues with new versions. Really lame for us :(

Huge issue for me lately. I learn a lot from other peoples mistakes and experiences. I spend far less time on this forum since they changed.
Justin James 5:25 PM - 14 October, 2014
SDJ - SV 1.7.0 / 13" late 2011 MBP / videos on internal / 8gb ram / vci380 / all videos HB with preset / runs perfectly for me..
PopRoXxX 6:16 PM - 14 October, 2014
Running SDJ 1.7.1 with ME 2.7.1 on the SRT with maxed out 2014 15" MBP Retina some nights. SDJ is ok right now, but not absolutely perfect yet for DVS users
DJMark 10:07 AM - 15 October, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

For more details, read here:

serato.com <- click.

I don't know which made me more sad, the change with support (basically eliminating both transparency and possible help from other users), or the people littering that thread with their off-topic posts.
DJ Amos Myth 3:03 PM - 19 October, 2014
New Success Story...same as the old story form 2 years ago.

This weekend I took a Friday night off and built a 150GB partition on my internal HDD and installed Mountain Lion on it along with SMC Fan Control & Scratch Live & Video (also Serato DJ & Itch). I selected that drive instead of my SSD, because Aaron had shared some info from Apple indicating that the SATA bus may not be ideal for the speed of the SSD and there could be some timing issues. So I put SSL & SMC in the startup file of OSX 10.8 & optimized everything for live shows from the internal HDD partition.

Hit my residency last night a little early because I intended to set up my SixtyFour with Turntables, an SL1 and a great MIDI map I set up yesterday afternoon...but got there and the club system just went down because their PC was updating (LOL)...so fired I up the new partition and plugged into their SixtyEight with CDJs for the night. I was up and rockin' in less than 5 minutes and had one of my best nights in ages, despite making a few errors while learning the funky loop procedures on the SixtyEight. Scratch Live was a real pleasure to work on. So stable and clean...confidence inspiring. I kinda forgot how much I love that program.

Thanks for posting your setups. Mix Emergency is really interesting to me, but I've never felt the need to make the jump. If I loved any part of Serato DJ or just had to have something on the SixtyFour to make my Music Video show, I would seriously consider it. I have a SixtyTwo on the way, so I'll thankfully be free of Serato DJ from this point forward and will likely revert to Itch or the SL1 for shows with my VCI-380...since we're getting all discontinued up in here. The SixtyFour will make a great mixer for my Ableton Live shows. The MIDI clock send and transport controls are pretty dope.

As I look back, it seems like every release of Serato DJ was getting worse...first the latency issue, then the sound spikes, then the library vanishing mid gig from multiple drives internal & external and then finally the unpredictable crashes with no report folder created. It could have been Mavericks...it could have been Video...it could even have been weird timing conflicts with the SSD I installed in place of the optical drive (doubtful). Regardless, ScratchLive on Mountain Lion is rock solid for me, so while the world tries out Yosemite, I'm reverting the the program my computer came with from mid 2012 and the discontinued but stable Scratch Live.
nik39 7:56 PM - 19 October, 2014
Quote:
then finally the unpredictable crashes with no report folder created.

The latest version of SDJ has an automated crash collecting system. These crashes will be sent to Serato.