Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Windows XP, Does it work? I dont want to have to buy a new computer :-(

killy 2:58 PM - 27 September, 2014
Hi. Im getting ready to upgrade from ITCH to serato DJ. I have also been using Scratch Live with my turntables. Now im looking into getting the DDJ-SX2 when it comes out, but I dont want to buy another computer.

I personally like XP more that Win 7 and 8, which I use at work.
And at home I use Mac OSX.

I bought this laptop solely to use for dj-ing and It works great. But Im realizing that I need Window 7 or later to meet the requirement for Serato DJ.

I have seen the youtube clip about how someone installs Serato Dj on a XP. But does I work? and will it work on a DDJ-SX 2 or a DDJ SX for that matter?
All thought on this matter are highly appreciated.

Thank.
K / from sweden.
Davideon 5:30 PM - 27 September, 2014
Is it worth the risk? Xp was a great windows but it's dead.
killy 5:45 PM - 27 September, 2014
To me it is. It mean I dont have to spend all the effort in buying a new computer and getting up and running with that one. I im perfectly fine with XP. And like I wrote, I only use this laptop for SERATO. So What do I care about the rest of the OS if the only thing im using it for is working?

Anyone with experience?
deejdave 6:22 PM - 27 September, 2014
I guarantee you sill spend more effort in getting up & running with SDJ on Windows IF this is even possible than simply purchasing a newer laptop. I had tried SDJ on Vista back when it was able to be installed on it and it was unpleasant to say the least. I would anticipate the experience with XP not being much better being NO though was put into catering to it when SDJ was designed. Any and ALL issues you experience (which you are pretty much guaranteed to encounter will leave you dead in the water as this will obviously never be supported.

Lastly the only things I found were earlier versions of SDJ which lack all the nice new features.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:06 AM - 28 September, 2014
What are the specs of this windows laptop?
deejdave 5:10 PM - 28 September, 2014
Also curious. If it came with XP then the laptop will no doubt be underspec'd.
killy 4:44 PM - 29 September, 2014
This is the computer Im using. www.cnet.com

I´ve been looking around and I think I´ll pick up and used Lenovo or HP Compac with SSD, but I only need it for djing so im trying to keep expenses down to around 300usd for tha computer.
Davideon 7:01 PM - 29 September, 2014
Omg. As bad a computer as you could have. Any laptop you buy for $300 will be way under par . And don't bother with an ssd as the $ you spend on it will better spent on a higher processor
Serato, Support
Karl Y 7:33 PM - 29 September, 2014
Hey killy,

Windows XP is not supported anymore by us.
It isn't supported even by Microsoft either, and its over a decade old now.

Regards

Karl
killy 9:16 PM - 29 September, 2014
@BBD
I have been using the above mentioned computer primary with my serato scratch live, rane ttm 56 and my SL 1210 for almost a decade and have yet to have any problem. Its been a work horse for nearly 200 gigs. But then again, I have no other software, no internet connection etc.

I have plenty of other computers at home for other stuff. I dont see what the deal is, All that the computer has to compute, still has to pass through a USB port, It not like It need more capacity.

Regarding the next computer im getting, my only requirement is win 7, and SSD to increase boot time and for bumpy roads to the gigs :-)

@Karl Y:
I understand that. Just so you and other people know, its still works for me :-) but im yet not running with the Serato DJ.
deejdave 12:33 AM - 30 September, 2014
Serato DJ has completely DIFFERENT Specs and is a completely DIFFERENT application.
Quote:
but im yet not running with the Serato DJ.

You will never be running with SDJ and XP as it is not supported.

If by SOME miracle you do get it working it will give you nothing but huge headaches. The laptop is the center of your entire performance with current controllers. Literally everything happens in the software. The controller itself is just an input device giving the DJ a way to control said software. That being said wouldnt you want to have something that is at least at minimum specs if not above?
killy 12:56 PM - 25 October, 2014
It does look similar to Serato Scratch Live. Anywas I understand that I might have to get a new Laptop anyways. Thanks for the input.
pdidy 11:23 PM - 25 October, 2014
@killy, i would highly recommend you stay were you are and continue to use serato scratchlive.

Now if the day comes that your priorities change and you choose to run sdj on a stable, reliable aka "Professional level" there are qualified people here who can point you in the right direction provided you're prepared to listen.
deejdave 12:28 AM - 26 October, 2014
Quote:
It does look similar to Serato Scratch Live.

A Chrysler 300 LOOKS like a Phantom (Rolls-Royce)
www.ebaumsworld.com