Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

MacBook Air 2013

Dj ListenDat 11:02 PM - 3 September, 2014
Hi guys,

I kept my Pc but bought a MacBook Air 13" late 2013 i7 8Go 512Go SSD

Ran a test with ssl 2.5 + SV and with 2 720p 5min clips running at the same time at high I was getting almost cap 58fps. I was impressed by how smooth it is. I then decided to record external display screen with QuickTime. Although I was recording HD at the same time the fps didn't change and remained at 60fps.

So i guess as SV uses QuickTime for video, and as QuickTime uses Intel quick sync here the optimization is perfect and the asic going along with the Intel gpu does perfectly its job for transcoding leaving cpu quite!

So everybody wondering if the new Intel gpu in new macs are OK for SV the answer is yes! As long as the mac has i5 or i7 cpu there should be a single performance problem!
DJMark 2:57 AM - 4 September, 2014
How hot does the MBA run in sustained use?
Dj ListenDat 7:20 AM - 4 September, 2014
I didn't measure the temperature but nothing shocking.............doing ssl+sv+recording isn't worst in terms of high ressources usage, than playing games like Skyrim or bioshoke infinite and some gamers do it..........
Culprit 10:56 PM - 6 September, 2014
Quote:
I didn't measure the temperature but nothing shocking.............doing ssl+sv+recording isn't worst in terms of high ressources usage, than playing games like Skyrim or bioshoke infinite and some gamers do it..........

You finally came to the darkside :)

welcome, and try mix emergency as well
Dj ListenDat 1:20 AM - 7 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You finally came to the darkside :)

welcome, and try mix emergency as well

Loool yes was tired of the lack of optimization of Serato and wanted to try ME

I still don't get why SDJ+SV give half fps than SSL+SV :s

I testes the demo of ME it's so smooth. I'll get it next month as i have already spent quite bucks for the MBA :p
Code:E 4:16 AM - 12 September, 2014
Quote:
I testes the demo of ME it's so smooth. I'll get it next month as i have already spent quite bucks for the MBA :p

You are going to love it!!!!!!
Dj ListenDat 9:03 AM - 12 September, 2014
I'm disappointed that i was told MBA wouldn't have been enough to go smooth. Perhaps the first one..........but the latest are more than enough looking at the results............The fact Quicktime uses intel QSV changes everything. 2x720p clips @60fps is close to perfect. As i was getting only 30 fps with SDJ 1.7 (SDJ 1.5 gives 60 fps so they did shit in the optimization which is for me a regression but i saw no post or conversation talking about solving that so i gave up on SV and bought ME. Hopefully i had been able to test everything on a friend i5 2013 MBA and see it was working perfectly. So i'm cool for at least 2 years as i doubt we will be playing 4k clips and will still play HD. 4k is still young, expensive and give too big files.

I hope the next MBP will include nvidia Maxwell. Nowadays all high end pc laptop have it and i don't understand why apple is till using the old GT750M. Also hope as on PC, the 13" models will include the discrete GPU
Code:E 5:11 AM - 13 September, 2014
Quote:
I hope the next MBP will include nvidia Maxwell. Nowadays all high end pc laptop have it and i don't understand why apple is till using the old GT750M.

Apple is always behind in hardware for 3 big reasons. #1 They wait until cost to build is down so they can maximize profit, #2 the Tech reasons, they know none of the cards they will use will have any problems because they have been tested in the marketplace for over a year. #3 Lastly they dont need too, We want them too cause we want that power, but for the average user the cards they use outperform the same card in a PC because of OSX.
DJ Frank08 5:39 AM - 15 September, 2014
i have a problem with serato video specially when i use Serato Dj it's always a delate on videos , but when i use scratch Live on Videos no delates at all ..... anyone got the same problem ... i got Macbook Pro Early 2011 / 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 / 1TB Hard Drive with 7200RPM !!!
Dj ListenDat 9:43 AM - 15 September, 2014
First if i were you i would go 1TB SSD for video. I saw in France Crucial MX100 1To for 169 euros last week. Report price/quality unbeatable !

Regarding your problem i have no answer. As a defending PC users for years here i can assure you you should drop Serati Video. It's too touchy and not enough optimized.

Honestly let's not talk 10 hours debating ---> Go for MixEmergency. After 3 years struggling with SV on PC i can tell you mixemergency looks at SV from the airplane window !! The soft is just perfect i don't really see what could be done ! And it is so well optimized !! It works without any problem on older than nowadays machines without problem. It will be the best 150 bucks you had spent ever for your VJ career

On the mixemergency forum, most of the problems i saw were happening because of SDJ. SDJ isn't solid as rock as ScratchLive was. People don't seem to experience a lot of problem with ME neither........go for it ! Stop wasting your time with SV
Culprit 6:38 PM - 15 September, 2014
SERATO Video for windows works great, of course mix emergency is recommended but SERATO Video is making great progress
Dj ListenDat 9:27 AM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
SERATO Video for windows works great, of course mix emergency is recommended but SERATO Video is making great progress

He's on MAC that's why i told him to go ME

Culprit did you also notice that the FPS is way lower with SSL+SV than SDJ+SV latests versions for both ?
DJ Kiddology 6:22 PM - 16 September, 2014
Hi Guys,im looking to get in to vjing and im on the verge of buying all equipment,and was wondering what would be my best and easiest route,to get started?? i was going for rane sixty two mixer,with serato scratch live latest version,then get serato video.and was wondering what computer to go for best performance and quality with serato video, Mac or Pc Laptop ? im a bit confused because serato recommend a nvidia graphics card(they are in high end pc laptops) but most vj's are using Mac that don't have a nvidia graphics card. so is graphics card in Macs ok for serato vjing? any of my questions answered, help, advice and guidance would be most appreciated.thanks DJKiddology
Culprit 8:08 PM - 16 September, 2014
Hey Kiddo,

Welcome to the club, definitely get a macbook pro if you want zero issues. You do not need to invest in the latest greatest macbook pro. Here are some spec recommendations for guidelines

Model Year 2009+
15" Mac book Pro
500gb Hard Drive, Internal
External Hard Drive, Firewire 800, specifically made for osx/mac book systems highly recommended.
Code:E 11:13 PM - 16 September, 2014
Mac do have Nvida card. And you want a mac.

I would say for Zero issues. You want a 2011 or new 15 inch or bigger mac (because the 15 and bigger had dedicated video cards) If you want to go new Only the most expensive macbook pro has a dedicated video card. So just make sure of that.

Also dont get Serato video if you want zero issues. Get Mix Emergency.

Get this mac if you can afford it. store.apple.com
Code:E 11:13 PM - 16 September, 2014
Also a FAST external Drive, I suggest you dont get anything USB. Firewire, esata or thunderbolt is the way to go.
DJ Kiddology 6:14 PM - 17 September, 2014
Hi Culprit and Code:E thank you for getting back to me and giving me very good guidance and help. im going with mac book pro then lads.and will get fast (firewire) external hard drive. just a few questions lads: 1. so why do you suggest mix emergency over serato Video?
2. does ME work with serato scratch live?
3. How much is Mix Emergency?
4.can you put your vj mix (from ME) to a external display?
5. can you record video mix?
6. can you assign a audio track to a visual track,then synch together,and save as one file?
7.what files does ME read?
hope you guys can answer these questions for me,thanks for all your advice n guidance,im going with n listining to what you guys are saying.many thanks DJ Kiddology.
Dj ListenDat 8:16 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Hi Culprit and Code:E thank you for getting back to me and giving me very good guidance and help. im going with mac book pro then lads.and will get fast (firewire) external hard drive. just a few questions lads: 1. so why do you suggest mix emergency over serato Video?
2. does ME work with serato scratch live?
3. How much is Mix Emergency?
4.can you put your vj mix (from ME) to a external display?
5. can you record video mix?
6. can you assign a audio track to a visual track,then synch together,and save as one file?
7.what files does ME read?
hope you guys can answer these questions for me,thanks for all your advice n guidance,im going with n listining to what you guys are saying.many thanks DJ Kiddology.

1. Cause it requires less performant macbook to get good performance than SV
2. Yes both SSL and SDJ
3. 150 bucks without tax
4. Yes for sure
5. Yes
6. Yes you can save it with record function
7. Every file SSL and SDJ can read

ME offer lot more effects, transitions, visual useful stuff like filling black border of a 4:3 video so that it can be played in 16:9 without weird cropping etc....

You can go for it eyes closed
DJ Kiddology 9:25 PM - 17 September, 2014
thanks for the reply DJ Listendat,what mac book pro should i get?seems that the mac book pro 15inch (£1999),seems only one with nvidia graphics card,the other mac book pro's have intel iris graphics card. are the intel iris graphics card suitable for ME ? A LITTLE CONFUSED OF WHAT MAC TO GET? PLEASE HELP,
Culprit 9:52 PM - 17 September, 2014
I do not suggest you get the latest greatest, look for refurbished macbook pro's between 2009-2012, I just seen a used one on facebook for $600.00.

www.ebay.com

for example
Code:E 4:02 AM - 18 September, 2014
Quote:
?seems that the mac book pro 15inch (£1999),seems only one with nvidia graphics card,the other mac book pro's have intel iris graphics card. are the intel iris graphics card suitable for ME

Dont get one with the iris. You want that (£1999) one. with the 2gb video card.
Dj ListenDat 9:05 AM - 18 September, 2014
You can go for the MBP with IRIS eyes closed ! ME works well even with old 2009 MBP with geforce 9400m 256 which is way weaker than new intel IRIS

If i were you i would follow the advice of culprit as it is useless invest in a beast with performances you won't be using. It is breaking your wallet for nothing.

I think Code:E for its use do need the higher model with nvidia 2go GPU as from what i remember he does advanced video stuff like streaming the video to a media server, add 3D elements which require strong 3D operations etc...........if you want to do just video mix without all that advanced stuff you don't need the 2000 bucks MBP
DJMark 9:44 PM - 18 September, 2014
If you want to do effects, and 720/1080 videos, I really would recommend a MBP with a "real" GPU.

Even playing mostly SD videos, there are advantages to sending video out at 720p or higher if you are connecting to displays/distribution systems that support HD. The effects get rendered at the higher resolution, also any text/graphic stuff you might be using.
Code:E 1:31 AM - 19 September, 2014
Quote:
If you want to do effects, and 720/1080 videos, I really would recommend a MBP with a "real" GPU.

Also if you want the most life out of your mac, its best to get the newest one possible. New features will come out sooner than later, and new features (like sample bank players) will require more power. You don't want to buy a referb that needs replacing in 2 years because you want use the best and newest features.

And lastly, if you getting into video because you are "stepping up you game" chances are, like me mixing 2 video's will become boring sooner than later, You will want to add things like twitter and instagram overlays, or using other visuals software like Resolume and Modul8 or VDX to add more content over the video's you are playing, then you will want the extra power the new ones afford you.

Yes I'm sure when using a 2012 MBP vs the newest one (Late 2013) you wont see performance boosts. But if you want to add anything extra, or try RECORDING!!!! the extra power will come in handy.
DJMark 10:08 AM - 19 September, 2014
Quote:
Yes I'm sure when using a 2012 MBP vs the newest one (Late 2013) you wont see performance boosts.

I did see performance boosts with 720p and 1080p videos when using effects and text overlays. Think I posted about it at the time, the improvement when moving from a mid-2012 to late-2013 MBP was more than I'd expected.

Newest MBP's are actually mid-2014. Minor CPU speed bump of the late-2013 hardware, same GPU and most other components.
Dj ListenDat 10:55 AM - 19 September, 2014
Sure you went from GPU intel HD4000 to Iris 5100

CPU doesn't change a lot the performances
DJMark 12:00 PM - 19 September, 2014
No, I went from an nVidia 650M GPU with 1gb to a nVidia 750M with 2gb.
Dj ListenDat 3:26 PM - 19 September, 2014
Oh you were talking about 15 inches ok ok so even better improvement !
DJ Kiddology 8:41 PM - 19 September, 2014
thanks for all this advice,much appreciated. another question,is there any video editing software in mac book pro? if not is there any free video editing software?if not what ones to buy? i just have music documentary's and videos that i need to edit (take) little clips and samples out of them. then save in same file format. so i can use to bring into the mix when and were i want. please help.many thanks DJ Kiddology
popnwave 4:18 AM - 20 September, 2014
Cheapest, most basic on OSX = iMovie which is Free-$15 depending on if you qualify for the freebie.

Next - Final Cut Pro X $299

Premiere - monthly sub price is $20-40 if you can get coupons
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:54 PM - 16 June, 2015
How is ME on the MBA you got.

I currently have the 2014 MBP with 2gig ram that serves dual purpose (personal and djing). I will like to dedicate this machine to djing and music.

I am looking at getting a 11/13" Macbook Air (2015) to use for work, internet, emails etc, but will like to know how well it will work if ever required for djing. www.amazon.co.uk

I use SDJ and ME3, with Rane 62/Pioneer DDJ SX/Pioneer DJ-SP1
Code:E 7:33 PM - 16 June, 2015
I'm pretty sure ME3 was developed on a MacBook air. It will work for sure. A pro with a dedicated video card will always be better. but as a backup Air's are just fine.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:56 AM - 17 June, 2015
Thanks Code:E

This MBA i'm planning to purchase, i wont even call it a "back up". There is another 13" Retina in the family for that.

This air will do work stuff, emails, mundane stuff, connect to smart tv, stream stuff, take on holidays etc

My DJ Music & Videos are on an external, so a holiday can easily be turned into a quick jam session in the resort...who knows.
Culprit 5:27 PM - 17 June, 2015
the usb 3's are real solid, I have an internal 2tb right now in my 2012 mid mbp, but I might take it out and just use this computer like it should be used. The USB3 ports are solid
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 12:48 PM - 7 August, 2015
HI DjListenDat,

been following your posts for almost a year and I like you have struggled with a PC.

I bought a refurbished Dell M4600 with true Quad I7 and Nvidia Quadro graphics and have had nothing but trouble with Serato Video. Even installed a Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD and no matter what I do, Video always stops working, getting 70-80 FPS in fraps but I lose the Video and have to end the serato Video Task a few times per night, even had the machine crash on me once and sent it for repair and even after Video card change still same error. this is after using lav filters with cuda selected and done every and all performance update you and serato suggest.

so here are my options financially, only have max max $1500 to spend right now as been buying alot of gear.

buy a used macbook pro from 2011
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
1TB drive replaced dvd, and
has AMD 512MB video card,
one thunderbolt1 port and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Buy a refurbished macbook air
8GB ram
Intel HD 6000 graphics
256gb ssd
dual core I5 1.6
1 thunderbolt port2
2 usb 3 ports
$1330.00

Buy a refurbished Macbook Pro 13 (15 not available online)
I5 2.6 dual core
intel iris graphics
8gb ram
256gb ssd
2 usb 3.0
2 thunderbolt 2
1HDMI ports
$1360.00

FYI these prices are canadian.

currently we DJ weddings and a bar every friday with a DDJSX and Imac 21.5 with iris pro and serato video and all is smooth with two videos and downloading videos on the spot and using two video outs, one for karaoke words or music videos and one for safari and file viewer.

i see a few issues with all setups, none are perfect.

the 2011 model only has usb 2.0 so transferring from one mac to another by usb drive will be slower, only one video out so id have to use a usb video out for 2nd monitor,

macbook air, only one video out, only two usb ports so external drive will be needed until can afford an internal 1tb ssd (have over 300gb just of karaoke files) woudl have to buy a belkin thunderbolt 2 port ($300.00)
internal graphics

macbook pro 13,
would need to use an external drive usb 3.0, until can afford an internal 1tb ssd.
internal graphics

Im sure we can all say a new macbook pro 15 with dedicated graphics at $3500 would be ideal but I dont have that kind of money right now, and ill be honest i do find this sucks that such a strong pc doesnt work well for one program, but im willing to "go to the dark side" if price is reasonable

do any of you use external drives for your videos? any issues?

any of your advice would be great

thanks
Code:E 5:04 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Get that one
popnwave 6:57 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Get that one

I agree.
Culprit 9:57 PM - 7 August, 2015
macbook 2012 my dude
DJMark 11:33 PM - 7 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Get that one

Not such a great idea.

The 2010 and 2011 MBP's with discrete GPU's have been failing at an abnormal rate for a couple years now.

I'm not aware of any similar situation with the 2012's, so I'd say that's a better bet.
popnwave 2:02 AM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Get that one

Not such a great idea.

The 2010 and 2011 MBP's with discrete GPU's have been failing at an abnormal rate for a couple years now.

I'm not aware of any similar situation with the 2012's, so I'd say that's a better bet.

Apple is replacing those free of charge still, even out of Apple Care. None of the other models has any sort of dedicated graphics.
DJMark 11:04 AM - 8 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Get that one

Not such a great idea.

Apple is replacing those free of charge still, even out of Apple Care. None of the other models has any sort of dedicated graphics.

Yes, but the replacements have the exact same issue.
djpuma_gemini 5:57 PM - 8 August, 2015
I have that same 2011 setup, with the exception of a 512 SSD and 16GB ram and it still runs flawlessly.
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:02 AM - 10 August, 2015
If you can look for a used MBP 15 with the 1gig video card. But if those three are the options then get the 2011 MBP.
Get MixEmergency 3 for your videos
With regards to connecting more than one monitor, get a thunderbolt dock. Think I read somewhere that USB monitors use up resources. You can get a thunderbolt dock with HDMI out and thunderbolt out. You can connect another HDMI/VGA adapter to that.

Mix emergency doesn't do Karaoke though, perhaps you could give Virtual DJ8 a try.
Code:E 5:48 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
If you can look for a used MBP 15 with the 1gig video card. But if those three are the options then get the 2011 MBP.

Yes
Quote:
Get MixEmergency 3 for your videos

YES
Quote:
With regards to connecting more than one monitor, get a thunderbolt dock.

No. Depends on what you want played on those monitors. If you want the same thing excaly, get a HDMI splitter if you want different things get a triple head to go and the software called Mad Mapper.
Quote:
You can get a thunderbolt dock with HDMI out and thunderbolt out. You can connect another HDMI/VGA adapter to that.

Ya that will "work" I would expect issues though. Just too many varibles in those docks.. But if you can try before you buy then give it a shot by all means.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 6:11 PM - 10 August, 2015
there is a belkin doc that has good reviews that gives also usb 3.0. but at 300$ canadian it still a pricy option. for now i will use a usb external drive for a 2nd external monitor?

for mix emergency, im not sure if i can use it, i have a karaoke gig every friday, and unless i convert all files to mp4, if someone has a suggestion how to do that on a mac, let me know im a newbie now, lol.

i tested the macbook out last night with a few videos and wow what a difference, so much smooter and thats before a reformat and the video optimization. im hoping all goes well when i tested at the karaoke gig this weekend

thanks for the help guys
kevin
Code:E 8:07 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
for now i will use a usb external drive for a 2nd external monitor?

You will have performance issues.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 8:28 PM - 10 August, 2015
i expect that, the only thing that 2nd monitor will be for is viewing files in order to transfer them over to serato, for example when someone asks for a song not in the playlists added to serato. or when looking up a song on djcity.
so latency and video quality is not an issue, as long as serato video only plays through the TB port we should be fine no?
Code:E 10:45 PM - 10 August, 2015
Quote:
i expect that, the only thing that 2nd monitor will be for is viewing files in order to transfer them over to serato, for example when someone asks for a song not in the playlists added to serato. or when looking up a song on djcity.

I would NEVER do that. I work for a recording studio / DJ-Production School, and in our class we even teach to NEVER add tracks live. But if you want to live life on the edge your welcome todo it.
Quote:
so latency and video quality is not an issue,

The lag will effect the whole system not just that monitor.
Quote:
as long as serato video only plays through the TB port we should be fine no?

No not at all. When you use one of those shady USB/monitors, you are using your CPU as a graphics driver, you need the cpu to deal with Serato.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 1:17 AM - 11 August, 2015
thanks code:E, someone was explaining this a bit more to me today and suggested if i really needed a song just to add another desktop setup (on the mac itself) and swipe four fingers over to it then back to serato. I will test and see if that affects the video out of serato.

FYI typing this on new mac. lol
DJMark 6:25 AM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
I have that same 2011 setup, with the exception of a 512 SSD and 16GB ram and it still runs flawlessly.

You've probably been running with the fans cranked up, yes?
Dj ListenDat 10:21 AM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
HI DjListenDat,

been following your posts for almost a year and I like you have struggled with a PC.

I bought a refurbished Dell M4600 with true Quad I7 and Nvidia Quadro graphics and have had nothing but trouble with Serato Video. Even installed a Samsung 850 EVO Pro SSD and no matter what I do, Video always stops working, getting 70-80 FPS in fraps but I lose the Video and have to end the serato Video Task a few times per night, even had the machine crash on me once and sent it for repair and even after Video card change still same error. this is after using lav filters with cuda selected and done every and all performance update you and serato suggest.

so here are my options financially, only have max max $1500 to spend right now as been buying alot of gear.

I7 Quad 2.3,
8GB ram,
128 SSD for boot and
2 usb2.0 ports
Price $1000.00

Buy a refurbished macbook air
8GB ram
Intel HD 6000 graphics
256gb ssd
dual core I5 1.6
1 thunderbolt port2
2 usb 3 ports
$1330.00

Buy a refurbished Macbook Pro 13 (15 not available online)
I5 2.6 dual core
intel iris graphics
8gb ram
256gb ssd
2 usb 3.0
2 thunderbolt 2
1HDMI ports
$1360.00

FYI these prices are canadian.

currently we DJ weddings and a bar every friday with a DDJSX and Imac 21.5 with iris pro and serato video and all is smooth with two videos and downloading videos on the spot and using two video outs, one for karaoke words or music videos and one for safari and file viewer.

i see a few issues with all setups, none are perfect.

the 2011 model only has usb 2.0 so transferring from one mac to another by usb drive will be slower, only one video out so id have to use a usb video out for 2nd monitor,

macbook air, only one video out, only two usb ports so external drive will be needed until can afford an internal 1tb ssd (have over 300gb just of karaoke files) woudl have to buy a belkin thunderbolt 2 port ($300.00)
internal graphics

macbook pro 13,
would need to use an external drive usb 3.0, until can afford an internal 1tb ssd.
internal graphics

Im sure we can all say a new macbook pro 15 with dedicated graphics at $3500 would be ideal but I dont have that kind of money right now, and ill be honest i do find this sucks that such a strong pc doesnt work well for one program, but im willing to "go to the dark side" if price is reasonable

do any of you use external drives for your videos? any issues?

any of your advice would be great

thanks

Hi thanks for you support. If i were you i wouldn't buy anything which doesnt have USB 3.0. The transfer rate is really interesting. You could buy a good external usb 3.0 pen drive or hdd or ssd. There are lot of websites that compare external usb 3.0 drive speed which can help you buy a good model. here is one in french (www.01net.com)

Then be aware that the latest version of MixEmergency is optimized for intel GPU. You will get better results with a macbook that have an intel GPU (intel i5 or i7 CPU) than a Macbook with dedicated 512 AMD GPU (with MixEmergency with H264 videos). Trust me here. a dedicated AMD 512 Mo GPU can't beat intel quick sync video from Intel GPU to handle video mix.

I won't debate with anyone saying the contrary. You'll have internet and google. Just make research. Type for example "mac pro vs macbook pro quicksync"; You'll see how intel GPU beat dedicated GPU when it's about H264 handling.

Cheers
Code:E 4:37 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
thanks code:E, someone was explaining this a bit more to me today and suggested if i really needed a song just to add another desktop setup (on the mac itself) and swipe four fingers over to it then back to serato. I will test and see if that affects the video out of serato.

FYI typing this on new mac. lol

SHould be fine todo what with Serato Video. I do that with Mix Emergency and resolume. I run 3 desktops. 1 for Serato ME, 1 for Resolume, and one for Internet.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 11:06 PM - 8 September, 2015
hi everyone,
just an update, I have had the Macbook for a few weeks now and it has crashed on me at the last two events where the color wheel came up and then i had to do a hard reboot. thankfully i had the ipad hooked up with all the music in DJAY (yes another software but its still a compact and useful backup), and was still able to play tunes. but no karaoke until the mac was back.

so found out there is a recall on the 2011 macbooks with amd graphics and the mac is going in for new guts this week. lets hope that fixes the issues im having...so much for a mac being built like a tank.

im back on the dell for a few weeks until i get the mac back.

DjListenDat,

yes i do miss having usb3.0 since we are transferring between my colleagues imac to a usb drive and then to mine, its very slow when lots of videos to arrange.

Code:E,
the crash happens even when going into finder to look at music stored on second drive installed in the dvd drive bay, would having a separate desktop versus using another screen use less resources?

thanks for all the help guys...

debating that even if get mac back in good condition if shouldnt just get a retina version with intel graphics as will have more ports for video and usb 3.0. my initial reason for buying the 2011 was the two hard drives versus one internal and one external for all video and karaoke.really thought that internal drive would be more effecient and affect the usb latency less.
Culprit 4:17 AM - 9 September, 2015
get a 2012 mid macbook pro, 9,1 or 9,2
Dj ListenDat 8:48 AM - 9 September, 2015
With my MBA 2013 with 512 SSD i can even plug a HDMI display and record my mix with quicktime on external usb 3.0 disk rated at 150Mo/s write speed and this using only 720p HD video and recording in 720p (i never tried recording 1080p as i don't have many 1080p videos so no point recording in that definition). I doubt a 2012 or 2011 macbook could do that.

But i'm using MixEmergency which is optimized for latest intel GPU (H264 QuickSync). Quicktime is also optimized the same way. SV may not be optimized that well. Maybe you'll get better results with it with an older MAC with dedicated graphics. If i were you i would keep my recent MAC and just buy MixEmergency. Once you'll see how good it is you will wonder why you kept wasting your time with SV. I had even forgotten i still have a SV licence..........i guess i'll sell it to make some money as this shit will never be enhanced for gpu hardware acceleration and sadly for Serato the more things go by the more video relies on gpu hardware acceleration.........
popnwave 12:24 PM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
With my MBA 2013 with 512 SSD i can even plug a HDMI display and record my mix with quicktime on external usb 3.0 disk rated at 150Mo/s write speed and this using only 720p HD video and recording in 720p (i never tried recording 1080p as i don't have many 1080p videos so no point recording in that definition). I doubt a 2012 or 2011 macbook could do that.

Eh.. 2012s do that just fine, I'd say at least 50% of my HD stuff is 1080p at this point and I've never had an issue mixing or recording a set in that resolution.

You do realize that we aren't editing high bitrates on the fly, most of this MPEG-4 stuff is going to be under 25Mbit (5MB) a second per stream, way underneath any limits of bus bandwidth to even a USB 2 drive.

And of course with MixEmergency it's not even recording the video real time, only the audio.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 2:49 PM - 9 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

well wouldnt a macbook pro 15 be better suited than an air? since it has the iris pro graphics as opposed to intel HD graphics? and has more connections, same as macbook pro 15.

but another thing is the screen real estate, how can you see video and sp6 with a 13 inch screen, even a 15 is tight.

one other thing, i do karaoke every friday night so using ME might not work unless i convert all to mp4, which im trying to do with handbrake but that doesnt combine the mp3+ and the cdg files. thats another reason to most likely use SV and separate video card.

well see what happens with the repair before i make decision. but i may try ME anyway.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 10:09 PM - 10 September, 2015
Quote:
get a 2012 mid macbook pro, 9,1 or 9,2

HI Culprit, what does 9,1 or 9,2 mean?
Culprit 10:19 PM - 10 September, 2015
those are the model numbers

www.everymac.com
Culprit 10:20 PM - 10 September, 2015
Code:E 6:19 PM - 12 September, 2015
Quote:
Code:E,
the crash happens even when going into finder to look at music stored on second drive installed in the dvd drive bay, would having a separate desktop versus using another screen use less resources?

Yes a second desktop is a much better option that a 2nd (or 3rd) screen.
Dj ListenDat 5:54 PM - 19 September, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Eh.. 2012s do that just fine, I'd say at least 50% of my HD stuff is 1080p at this point and I've never had an issue mixing or recording a set in that resolution.

You do realize that we aren't editing high bitrates on the fly, most of this MPEG-4 stuff is going to be under 25Mbit (5MB) a second per stream, way underneath any limits of bus bandwidth to even a USB 2 drive.

And of course with MixEmergency it's not even recording the video real time, only the audio.

I was talking about recording with an external app (not mixemergency). I'm using quicktime. So there is a task of encoding in real-time that is added....i should try ME internal recording. The thing is once i had a bug where the recording just stopped and i had to start over my mix which after having spent 1 hour mixing is highly annoying :p

For sure using ME to record the mix doesn't involve much ressources.....
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 12:59 AM - 22 September, 2015
btw guys, found out that crashing happening with mac was related to the ribbon cable in the cd tray HD holder. ordered a new one and well see what happens. hopefully thats it.
DJK@DJAYMONTREAL.COM 8:46 PM - 19 November, 2015
well, ribon changed and new hd tray caddy and still issues. machine crashed this weekend and now apple has accepted to replace the motherboard cpu/gpu combo under a recall for that model. hopefully this fixes all issues, if not, the imac just bought will be my go machine