Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Support Display Scaling on High DPI Displays

J.J. 6:05 PM - 29 August, 2014
I have a Surface Pro 3 with at 12" display and "pixel-free" high-DPI resolution of 2160 x 1440. At 3 feet away, I can barely read the Decks. Please correct the display settings for High DPI Displays. Windows 8.1 defaults the display scaling to 150%.

See the full size picture of Serato DJ. www.poweronplay.com

Quote:
Microsoft went with a 3:2 at 2160 x 1440 because this allows the screen to scale perfectly at a factor of either 2.0 or 1.5, resulting in crystal clear scaling at 150% and 200%. This provides an excellent form factor for desktop and tablet productivity.
DJ Frank Breuer 8:14 AM - 21 February, 2015
+1, also MacBook Pro Retina Display
J.J. 11:06 PM - 4 March, 2015
DJ Shy wanted to know my experience with the Surface Pro 3 and if it would be a viable backup system. This was my response.

... I did some testing yesterday. Unfortunately, it was with the new 1.7.4 Beta which people are reporting audio drop outs and Buffer Issues. I will try it with 1.7.3 Final tomorrow. I have to increase the Rane 68 buffer to 10ms for no audio glitches. I had it at 2ms with no problems on previous Serato versions.

The Surface Pro 3 sure is nice. I've always wanted a Wacom Tablet with pressure a sensitive pen. Now, I can just draw directly on the Surface which is very cool. Plus, Microsoft is constantly improving the firmware for better performance and optimization. I even plan to install hackintosh OSX on it.

Here are the problems I've run into with Serato.
• Serato just runs better on OSX.

• It suffers from Throttling. It has an onboard temperature sensor (Not a CPU Temp) that lowers the CPU mhz. Another words, it's fast at first but then degrades. The i7 does not perform at the same level than a similar i7 on a Notebook or PC. This shouldn't be a huge problem for audio files, but it will definitely effect video. I'm still doing testing.

• Serato Video is not suppose to work on integrated Intel graphics. I haven't done to much testing but it worked for me right out of the gate. Of course, the i7 processor has the beefier Intel HD Graphics 5000.

• Any resolution over 1920x1080 in Windows and Serato will give you playback problems.

• Serato DJ does not scale and doesn't support display scaling. So everything is tiny. The only thing Serato allows you to scale is the library text.

• You are forced to use a USB Hub if you want to use a External Hard Drive in addition to the DJ Controller. It's always recommended to plug the Controller straight into the PC.

• I have to override the default setting to make the Surface act more like a PC than a tablet. You have to enable Hyper-V so it won't constantly put to sleep your USB devices. USB selective suspend settings to Disabled from support.serato.com

Quote:
To enable Hyper‑V on Windows 8.1
1. In Control Panel, tap or click Programs, and then tap or click Programs and Features.
2. Tap or click Turn Windows Features on or off.
3. Select Hyper‑V, tap or click OK, and then tap or click Close.
4. Shut down your PC, and then restart it.

As of now, I can honestly say I couldn't use it as a backup for Serato DJ. However, Virtual DJ 8 with video works great on it.
DJ Compiler 9:50 PM - 6 March, 2015
Hyper-V is just virtualization software like VMware or something of that nature. It doesn't really have an effect on USB sleep settings. To keep it from putting USB devices to sleep you only have to follow the Serato Advanced PC Optimization Guide
J.J. 10:53 PM - 6 March, 2015
Quote:
Hyper-V is just virtualization software like VMware or something of that nature. It doesn't really have an effect on USB sleep settings. To keep it from putting USB devices to sleep you only have to follow the Serato Advanced PC Optimization Guide

The link I posted above is for Serato's PC Optimization Guide for Windows 8. Under the settings for Adjust Power Options, Surface Pro 3 doesn't have options 9 and 10 because it uses Connected Standby.

9. Click on the + next to USB settings, the click the + next to USB selective suspend settings
10. Double-click where it says Enabled, then click Disabled.

In order to disable USB selective suspend, you have to add Hyper-V which will give you the option under Power Options > High Performance.