Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

iTunes folder or File folder?

DJ_Gold 5:10 AM - 27 August, 2014
I wanted to know which was the best way to store your playlist? Would it be on iTunes or on a folder native to your laptop/portable Hard drive?

When I use my iTunes folder for music storage it makes it easy for me to access my music but I also have Podcast that show up in Serato DJ searches. Which sometimes has the artist names in the descriptions of the mixes which clutters my view when mixing my own sets. Is there anyway to counteract this?
deejdave 5:20 AM - 27 August, 2014
Just a tidbit it has been said by Serato employees as well as Rane employees that the use of iTunes is more trouble than its worth although some DJ's swear by it. I can only say I have never used iTunes for ANYTHING but apple TV & purchasing songs and I have yet to have any issues with Serato of any variation. I also have a 90,000 file library.
DJ_Gold 3:19 PM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
Just a tidbit it has been said by Serato employees as well as Rane employees that the use of iTunes is more trouble than its worth although some DJ's swear by it. I can only say I have never used iTunes for ANYTHING but apple TV & purchasing songs and I have yet to have any issues with Serato of any variation. I also have a 90,000 file library.

So basically you're saying I'm having color tagging issue because I'm accessing my song files through iTunes, but if I pulled the straight from a designated folder I wouldn't have any issue's?
deejdave 5:34 PM - 27 August, 2014
Definitely NOT saying that. I have no experience with using iTunes libraries with SDJ so I can NOT vouch for anything that happens during. What I can say is again I have NEVER used iTunes with Serato and I have yet to have ANY of the library related issues that have EVER surfaced.

Try having SDJ NOT read your iTunes library (by selecting option in menu) and doing a bunch of songs without it in the equation and see what happens. Another thing will happen as well. You can start a real organization process from scratch and I promise you will feel closer to your library.

MANY people see 90,000 songs as overkill. When using iTunes I can see ho you may lose track of things and such ending up with doubles (unless you use software to eliminate them) and useless tracks. YES there are some I rarely (and possibly NEVER) use but for the most part someone on my team uses them.