Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Vs Scratch Live Performance

djsolosf 10:51 PM - 26 August, 2014
Funny thing that Itch and Serato DJ perform in the same manor. USB drops and Over usage of CPU performance. Both have performance issues with large libraries.
Scratch Live did not have any of the performance issues the New versions have.
Computer Specs. OSX 10.6.3 2.4 Ghz Processor, 8Gigs DDRM.

Like I said before no performance issues with Scratch Live.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 10:58 PM - 26 August, 2014
Hey DJsolosf,

Have you tried installing and running the latest Serato DJ 1.7 BETA?
Download Here --> serato.com

Thanks,
Jamie
djsolosf 2:20 AM - 27 August, 2014
I play at venues regularly so I can not use a Beta Test Version. I cant afford to have a crash or drop outs during sets.

Thanks.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:24 AM - 27 August, 2014
Fair enough. I would still recommend you check out the BETA build at home.
ALOT of improvements have been made to Serato DJ. Library issues have been addressed and memory / cpu improvements have also been made.
deejdave 2:48 AM - 27 August, 2014
One of the many who have had no issues from the start. 1.7 has had a huge impact on those who HAVE had issues though. Fun fact (if you care) Serato DJ handles 4 times the library size of SSL due to improvements via 1.7 beta.

You say 2.5 ghz but may I ask what is the processor? If you use Core 2 Duo you are literally at the MINIMUM requirements. I am guessing you are not due to the RAM size of 8 GB but figured I would ask. My guess is i5. Being you had issues with Itch I am wondering if it is in fact NOT SDJ to blame. Many people had MANY issues with Itch (me being one of them) but stability was more often than not the culprit.

Just trying to help but it seems to me you are not interested in the help. I would assume you CAN find a minute (or 60) to test out the beta and see if it solves you issues.

So if I may correct your statement:

Quote:
Scratch Live did not have any of the performance issues [OLD VERSIONS] of the New versions [OF SERATO] have.

as the amount of people who saw improvements were STAGGERING!!

Even our longest running post with some of the most sour individuals who were seemingly the hardest to please since day one has made a turn for the better with the majority of them starting to see the light................................... I fully recommend you taking an alternate stance on this and allowing Serato to help you help yourself. You have NOTHING to lose and so much to gain.
Niro 7:10 AM - 27 August, 2014
IMO, a lot of the hard critics have just given up or have just stuck with SSL. SSL was a DVS based system and only worked with Rane hardware = less variables to deal with. The quality control was probably a lot easier to handle. Now it's a Lot more controllers/hardware, adding a bunch of features while taking away some functional ones from SSL. Even having to reinstall drivers to go from beta to final release version. A lot of the guys using turntables really don't need a lot of the bells and whilstles of SDJ, their spending their time beat matching...etc. I'm sure some are still beta testing, including myself, but probaly not as in dept, because of the stuff I mentioned above. Just my 2 cents. Honestly everyone's hopes SDJ gets stable and is able to respectively replace SSL. But currently it is not.
pdidy 7:16 AM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
I play at venues regularly so I can not use a Beta Test Version. I cant afford to have a crash or drop outs during sets.

Thanks.

are you using a "Core 2 Duo" 2.4ghz 13" Mid-2010 ?
deejdave 7:17 AM - 27 August, 2014
So that direct 180 brings us right back to the question of why even attempt to go with Serato DJ if the application is to advanced for their needs? When I scratch I stick with SSL and the RARE occasion with my Rane 64 & TT's and I DO mean rare. I generally stick to my 900SRT/CDJ-2000/DDJ-SP1 setup which is an all bells whistles & flair with no issues whatsoever.

I get this is a but of work. I am all about putting in the extra time as I reap SOOOO many benefits by doing so. The largest benefit being no issues ever. Perha[s the correct answer here is as Niro said to stick with SSL if in fact Niro is correct and SDJ is too advanced for your needs anyways.

I do still feel giving Serato the info they need in order to help you would be in your best interest and could not hurt.
deejdave 7:19 AM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

are you using a "Core 2 Duo" 2.4ghz 13" Mid-2010 ?

I Doubt it due to the 8 GB RAM he said he has. The Core2Duo did not support that high did it?
deejdave 7:21 AM - 27 August, 2014
Ohhhh Im thinking it did but I can't remember and I (for once) don't feel lie researching and am simply hoping you (pdidy) knows off hand LOL.
pdidy 7:41 AM - 27 August, 2014
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:12 AM - 27 August, 2014
The 1.7beta is more stable than any other version of sdj so you will be fine infact it will work better but sure no one is making you use the beta but try it out.

Also i think "I THINK" sdj just needs an i7 to work well and have 8gb on your system. Alot of people seem to have success at 5ms buffer. Going lower some have issues others don't so again going lower than 5ms buffer make sure you test it out well.

But if scratchlive works well for you then don't try fix something thats not broke and keep rocking ssl.
Niro 9:34 AM - 27 August, 2014
The problem with the above theory is if it wasn't broke. SSL was suppose to be supported until 2015, but was only updated to work with serato remote. Issues like crashing on exit on a new MacBook, not being able to scroll loops in other layers, midi mappings being inconsistent. None of those issues have been fixed upon exist. Good business practice would be to stand by your word.

Serato was similar to Apple, control from software to hardware. Now it's going the windows route and having to try and make software to accommodate a slew of controllers. And more coming out every year. At the current rate, there won't be enough resources to deal with the amount of bugs. How many employees/developers do you think serato has? Enough to deal with all of the new controllers, support older ones, new software updates for two different platforms. I hope I'm wrong in every which way, but I believe it will probably get worst.

SDJ was built around contollers, and your forced to use SDJ ( serato product wise) since serato does not support any type of controller. In essence you will have more activity on the controller side in the beta participation.

Again, this is speculation from past and current actions. I just don't see the current situation changing any time soon. I hope I'm fully wrong.
deejdave 5:29 PM - 27 August, 2014
Quote:
The problem with the above theory is if it wasn't broke. SSL was suppose to be supported until 2015, but was only updated to work with serato remote. Issues like crashing on exit on a new MacBook, not being able to scroll loops in other layers, midi mappings being inconsistent. None of those issues have been fixed upon exist. Good business practice would be to stand by your word.

It is not yet 2015 so while thet chances are you will be correct it is too early to say for sure right now. Honestly if I were Serato I wouldn't want to spend any time working on the retired software.

Quote:
Serato was similar to Apple, control from software to hardware. Now it's going the windows route and having to try and make software to accommodate a slew of controllers. And more coming out every year. At the current rate, there won't be enough resources to deal with the amount of bugs. How many employees/developers do you think serato has? Enough to deal with all of the new controllers, support older ones, new software updates for two different platforms. I hope I'm wrong in every which way, but I believe it will probably get worst.

More revenue SHOULD = more employees. Again whie your theory has substance to it le us not forget there are those (I am one for example) who are happy with the gear they have selected (and I have selected a lot meaning more chances for things to go wrong which nothing has) and are happy to be with Serato during their expansion. I CAN however see the dangers of becoming too big for ones own good.

Quote:
SDJ was built around contollers, and your forced to use SDJ ( serato product wise) since serato does not support any type of controller. In essence you will have more activity on the controller side in the beta participation.

I can't say whether this is true or not but I can say I don't use my controllers with SDJ as much as I use my large rigs. But in support of your theory this is why I like to extend a sort of "light at the end" towards those using larger setups who have not had such luck. There is NO denying the impact 1.7 has had already with even more fixes coming out with every release.

Quote:
Again, this is speculation from past and current actions. I just don't see the current situation changing any time soon. I hope I'm fully wrong.

Whether I agree with you or not you have solid arguments with real substance to them. Not only that you are seemingly a pleasure to talk to. Disagreeing or agreeing aside there is no reason why conversation's like this can't be civil and I appreciate you pointing out this is opinion and not meant to be taken as solid fact. I like to do the same thing. Keep my opinions as opinions and NOT try to sell anything as truth until confirmed by someone of more importance than me LOL.

Lastly as LJ_WOOLSEY said there is NOTHING wrong with sticking with SSL. Due to not needing the bells & whistles during I stick with SSL whenever I bust out my wheels even with my love for SDJ.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:36 PM - 27 August, 2014
If Scratch Live works for what you do, then stick with it. If Serato DJ has something interesting that you might want to start using, or if you want to use some new hardware that's supported in Serato DJ, that's when you should also give it a try.

We know it's not an overnight thing. People have trusted and relied on Scratch Live for almost a decade - remember though, there were not completely bug free versions of Scratch Live either...

You can have both installed and they don't affect each other. Try out Serato DJ, play around and get comfortable if you like. You can still use Scratch Live for your gigs until you are.

Lastly, if you do have any issues, we need to know through our support channels so we can either troubleshoot and help, or log issues with development to be fixed. We've done a huge amount of maintenance on Serato DJ for 1.7 and have continued to throughout the beta period. We are continuing to as well. Always!

Sam.