Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Flip and other equipment.

Jumbo Boogie 2:41 PM - 26 August, 2014
If I purchase gear that comes with the Flip expansion...Does this mean that the expansion can also be used with other Serato certified equipment such as a Sixty-One or a Sixty-Two or is that expansion tied to the unit it came with?
deejdave 6:20 PM - 26 August, 2014
The expansion is NOT tied to anything BUT you MUST have a Serato Flip enabled device connected in order to use it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:55 PM - 26 August, 2014
Not exactly true :)

If you have a Flip license it's just a software feature that can be used with any supported Serato DJ hardware - the hardware will either have controls or not have controls depending on what it is (some newer pieces have dedicated controls / others have remapped controls).

You can still use it in the software though without having a device with Flip controls, either with the mouse, the keyboard shortcuts or by MIDI mapping another device.

Easy!

sam.
Jumbo Boogie 10:21 PM - 26 August, 2014
NICE!
deejdave 10:37 PM - 26 August, 2014
I meant natively without the need of a mapped midi controller or as suggested the mouse/keyboard method as you are not yet (and I say yet in hopes of this coming in the future) able to map native devices in any way. Woops.

Out of curiosity will there be any keyboard shortcuts for the FLIP functions?
deejdave 10:37 PM - 26 August, 2014
And if so do you know what the shortcuts will be?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:07 PM - 26 August, 2014
Quote:
You can still use it in the software though without having a device with Flip controls, either with the mouse, the keyboard shortcuts or by MIDI mapping another device.

Yep :)

The | key (pipe key) is used to arm recording and to end recording.

sam.
Jumbo Boogie 1:32 PM - 28 August, 2014
How do you trigger the Flips? Can they be assigned like cues on pads?
deejdave 5:20 PM - 28 August, 2014
I DO know it will not be assignable as keep in mind Native controllers can not be custom mapped in any way but for the ones that do support it (Again support meaning natively without the need of a mapped midi controller or as suggested the mouse/keyboard method) I think I remember them saying the existing controllers without specific controls for it will involve a button combo to activate but I do NOT remember what they are.

You can always custom midi map a generic midi controller though.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:02 PM - 28 August, 2014
Quote:
How do you trigger the Flips? Can they be assigned like cues on pads?

Yup :) You can assign the "play Flip button" in the Flip panel for each 6 saved Flip slots.
deejdave 11:16 PM - 28 August, 2014
Quote:
Yup :) You can assign the "play Flip button" in the Flip panel for each 6 saved Flip slots.

Will the other two pads be used for anything Flip oriented when in "flip mode" (flip mode LOL btw) being their are 6 saved flip slots with 8 performance pads on most controllers.
zoomwire 11:19 PM - 28 August, 2014
That makes me think: Why don't you added support for flips via the pads? EVERY serato midi controller has pads… It would make much more sense…
deejdave 11:26 PM - 28 August, 2014
I will be confused until I get this thing in my hands. After seeing what it is/what it isn't I don't even know if it's for me anymore.
Quote:
That makes me think: Why don't you added support for flips via the pads? EVERY serato midi controller has pads… It would make much more sense…

I thought he just said it CAN be triggered by the pads. Maybe not saving a flip or whatever but apparently activating one of the saved flips.

I am lost

lost............................I am now on a mission to check out the available videos to see if I can make sense of this though.
DJ Michael Timex 2:20 AM - 29 August, 2014
i can't wait, im thinking i can map it to something on my 62 i doubt it'll have "shortcuts" like the other features in SDJ that are shift button activated.
Jumbo Boogie 12:48 PM - 29 August, 2014
Reminds me of how it's done on the classic MPC's. You record a sequence...then assign that sequence to pad for playback...with multiple sequences...one for intro, another for the chorus, one for the melody, and an outro....then just hit the pads where you want them the performance to be triggered.

If it's anything like that...then I could essentially take an instrumental chop it up with cues and make my own remix having dedicated flips for an intro, chorus, melody, and outro....triggering them on the fly....all that's left is to throw on an acappella on another deck and it's on!

If that's exactly what can be done....WHAT! (mind blown)

Got to ask....can you record a Flip's using Flip's?
deejdave 3:11 PM - 29 August, 2014
True dat. If only we could apply the FX to the "recordings" which I am hopeful will happen in the future.
Jumbo Boogie 12:52 PM - 30 August, 2014
It probably can be done....automation in Serato. Although that sounds like opening Pandora's Box.