Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Can this be done with ME or SV??

the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:32 PM - 25 August, 2014
instagram.com

In that video I am using VDJ 8 with a text 2 screen plugin running.

On top I have a scrolling marquee, then in the center I have my videos playing, bottom left is a live feed from a camera overseeing my decks, the bottom center is where the texts come through and then the bottom right is where I usually stick an animated logo.

It's on my Mac because I recorded it with Bandicam on the PC and then I move it over to the Mac and add credits and stuff in iMovie.

My question is, can I setup ME or SV and do all of that?? If I can could someone please take some time to help me out with the setup??

I've been a long time user of VDJ because there are things that I don't think SV or ME can do.

ME has tons of badass effects and VDJ just isn't cutting it when it comes to timecodes. So I'd gladly make the switch and I already have a midi mixer, sl3 and the sp1 but I need to be able to do things like my short video shows.

Any and all help is most appreciated!!
dj jamalot 7:23 PM - 25 August, 2014
So you can't run the text to screen plugin on your mac using osx with vdj 8...?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:50 PM - 25 August, 2014
No the creator is a PC only guy. It'll work bootcamped and it's pretty inter grated into VDJ.

I've asked them if they could do the same but for Serato and got shot down in a heartbeat!
dj jamalot 8:08 PM - 25 August, 2014
Ok thanks for the reply i own a copy of VDJ from an old Denon Mc 6000 it came with and i upgraded it to Pro for a Karaoke Gig and forgot about it but i still own it and it update's for free. May look into Boot Camp as there's a lighting software that's PC only that i'd love to run.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:30 PM - 25 August, 2014
And that's a whole other topic by itself. With VDJ I can launch lighting cues and scenes when a cue point in a track is hit. Have yet to figure out a way to do that with Serato.

The only thing stopping me with VDJ is the timecode. It works and is ok but needs to be tighter and getting another controller isn't going to happen as I already have a Mixdeck Quad.

Anyways back on topic, lmao!!

Can the above video be done with ME or SV??
skinnyguy 10:52 PM - 25 August, 2014
i think joachim garraud made something for vsl (sv) that synced with light cues for his shows.

wondering if you could use winebottler for that texting company's software, the standalone version, not plug-in.
skinnyguy 10:53 PM - 25 August, 2014
only other way i see it is using the standalone texting program on a pc and run the output from a mac into the pc.
skinnyguy 10:56 PM - 25 August, 2014
or texting software on pc, output into mac via some vid input which is quicktime supported (like how some webcams are) and that is overlaid using the webcam or qtz overlay in ME.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:09 AM - 26 August, 2014
Thanks for the ideas but I'd like to stick to using machine.

Doesn't really seem like this is gonna happen with SV or ME anytime soon.
Joshua Carl 5:09 PM - 26 August, 2014
everything BUT text to screen (although if you have some sort of hosting/capture software/website to collect the texts, it wouldn't take much to make a Qtz file (By a s Qtz guru) to accomplish that, just like any other sort of live feed rendered via QTZ)
Not many people have asked for it, so I think thats why it doesen't exist.
Alot of people asked for Twitter, Facebook and Instagram... and those popped up pretty quick.
I still use The Twitter feed every weekend swimmingly.

Mix Emergency + Resolume for everything else.
skinnyguy 5:17 PM - 26 August, 2014
i wouldn't mind a text to screen app.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:50 PM - 26 August, 2014
Thanks Josh and yup I do use Resolume for other things.

Well hopefully we can get a text 2 screen app/plugin for Serato soon, lol!
Joshua Carl 6:39 PM - 26 August, 2014
how does the existing PC side one work? Im familiar with firetext and such.
but is it an open source free plugin?

a matter of breaking down the hosting and gathering of data is really all a developer would need.

someone like Xplicit or Dokumentary could probably figure it out.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:59 PM - 26 August, 2014
Here a link to they're page, www.pangolinsms.com

I do know that my ZOOM Modem does work with a Mac so that could also be another alternative I guess. It has it's own software that pops up when plugged in, kinda like iMessage.
m.expansys.com

The more I think about it, couldn't we just use iMessage?? Everything we need is already on our machines isn't it??

Thanks for the time, most appreciated!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:07 PM - 26 August, 2014
Hmm scratch the iMessage cause that would mean only peeps with iPhones could text us, I wouldn't be opposed to it though, lmao!!
skinnyguy 12:15 AM - 27 August, 2014
it's a paid plug-in for vdj. it's just like firetext.
dj jamalot 12:58 AM - 27 August, 2014
^^ yea a $299.00 plug in no thanks not that serious.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:46 AM - 27 August, 2014
One gig would pay for it, at least it did for me. Hell I've thrown away more then that on timecodes and needles......

Either way cost isn't the issue here, I'd just like to be able to have the same functionality that I have now with VDJ but with Serato.

If I can't I'll just keep using Serato for audio only gigs and VDJ for my video gigs.
dj jamalot 12:50 PM - 27 August, 2014
I did some research and dug into pangolin a bit got an interesting reply from the president of the company no plans for Mac OS on Text to screen but will be supported for other up coming applications I found it impressive the president replys to email...👍
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:40 PM - 27 August, 2014
Yeah if it was Bill he is a great guy and always puts his best foot forward.

Maybe if y'all keep hittin his email we can get this done 😜
skinnyguy 5:35 PM - 27 August, 2014
pretty sure pangolin is a small company, like inklen.
radikarl 10:47 AM - 28 August, 2014
originalhamsters.com

yes, should be doable (with both)

ME would be suited better as you could load the QTZ file to the main output qtz overlay window
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:22 PM - 28 August, 2014
Thanks bro!! I will for sure try this out tonight and see if I can get it working. My qtz skills are shit though, lmao!!
skinnyguy 6:05 PM - 28 August, 2014
anybody able to get that ultrasms?
Taipanic 5:24 PM - 3 September, 2014
Soundinsurgent,

I saw in your Instagramm picture you had hashtagged the Denon 5500. Are you using those with VDJ? If so, with Timecode or USB? Wouldn't mind getting mine to work via MIDI/USB if you have a good setup.

Thanks,
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:32 PM - 3 September, 2014
I'm using them via timecode on the internal harddrives. I've tried using them with VDJ but it's just not that tight. I see they've been updating the timecode side of things but haven't gotten around to trying it out again. So in the mean time I use them with Serato and an SL3 which works great!

I'm not a heavy scratcher nor am I that great but for what I do they work well. I have heard other people complain about them not doing well when it comes to scratching but everyone is different.

They still don't work worth a shit with VDJ in midi mode and I doubt they ever will to be honest.

I really like mine and having the music right there without the need for a laptop is great for those short sets.

I do wish I could put in a drive bigger then 250gbs but I work with what I have. I'm in no hurry to buy anything new, lmao!!
Taipanic 6:15 PM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:
I'm using them via timecode on the internal harddrives. I've tried using them with VDJ but it's just not that tight. I see they've been updating the timecode side of things but haven't gotten around to trying it out again. So in the mean time I use them with Serato and an SL3 which works great!

I'm not a heavy scratcher nor am I that great but for what I do they work well. I have heard other people complain about them not doing well when it comes to scratching but everyone is different.

They still don't work worth a shit with VDJ in midi mode and I doubt they ever will to be honest.

I really like mine and having the music right there without the need for a laptop is great for those short sets.

I do wish I could put in a drive bigger then 250gbs but I work with what I have. I'm in no hurry to buy anything new, lmao!!

Cool, My setup is also SL3 with Timecodes & SDJ, with 64gig flash drives with timecodes & backup music on each deck. External Firewire drive to MB17. Setup works great, lots of backup options. You can connect up to 4 drives to each deck, they would be external but would give you access to more tracks.

Sorry for the derail, back to regularly scheduled programming...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:43 PM - 9 September, 2014
Anyone had any success with this yet??