DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MY FIRST OPENING DJ GIG

Marcushhh 7:10 PM - 31 July, 2014
Dear Serato bretherns and sisterens,

I'm really excited that I just got book to be an opening DJ for a new venue in Daly City California. I'm usually doing house parties and on campus (I attend San Francisco State) events and have DJed at 2 small lounges so this is a big and exciting step up for me.

I've contacted the promoter to see if I can get in contact with the headlining DJ, to affirm with him (headling DJ) that I have opening DJ ettique and will not play all bangers during my hour and ect.

What have you seen that separated a good opening DJ from a bad opening DJ?

OH!and if anyone is in the area at the time hit my e-mail mlampley24@gmail.com or add my IG: @DJMarcusYee and I can get you tickets. (Sorry admin if this violates forum rules)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:26 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:

I'm really excited that I just got book to be an opening DJ for a new venue in Daly City California. I'm usually doing house parties and on campus (I attend San Francisco State) events and have DJed at 2 small lounges so this is a big and exciting step up for me.

I've contacted the promoter to see if I can get in contact with the headlining DJ, to affirm with him (headling DJ) that I have opening DJ ettique and will not play all bangers during my hour and ect.

OH!and if anyone is in the area at the time hit my e-mail mlampley24@gmail.com or add my IG: @DJMarcusYee and I can get you tickets. (Sorry admin if this violates forum rules)

Everything about this smells like........wait a minute

Hey Marcuss, congrats on the gig bro! Thats really exciting, Im trying to score a gig like that myself, just curious, how much are promoters paying opening DJs in your area? The ones over this way only pay a few hundred.....does that sound cheap to you?
CMOS 7:49 PM - 31 July, 2014
Don't look the other DJ in the eye and say:

"Being you are cutting my set short im playing all the hot shit right now at 11pm"

This happened to me two weeks ago when the manager asked me to kick this chick off the decks. I tried to be nice n give her another 30 min and this is what she said to me.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:31 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Don't look the other DJ in the eye and say:

"Being you are cutting my set short im playing all the hot shit right now at 11pm"

This happened to me two weeks ago when the manager asked me to kick this chick off the decks. I tried to be nice n give her another 30 min and this is what she said to me.

you wouldnt happen to be downlink IRL would you? lol
DJ Nightmare Productions 9:12 PM - 31 July, 2014
Stick to older.. hits.. and some chilled music.. just a good mix.. People will mainly be at the bar.. while you are playing.. for the first hour.. don't overstep your boundaries.. you know the bangers or you should.. stay away form playing them too soon..
geeunot 12:26 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:

I'm from the Bay too. I usually spin in SF/SJ. Hit me up on FB, I'll give you some tips about opening.

facebook.com/djmytymyke

geeunot 12:26 AM - 1 August, 2014
quote fail ^ haha
Dj Manny B 1:01 PM - 2 August, 2014
you could play some newer music to get them hyped, only towards the end of your set
Marcushhh 8:26 PM - 2 August, 2014
@geeunot Just added you

Thanks you all for the tips