DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Itunes or manual crate management in Serato... which do you use and why?

L'Phonik 8:29 AM - 24 July, 2014
been doing it manually for years.. total pain in the asss ....should i re organize with itunes???
help!
Lphonik
DJ Remix Detroit 9:37 AM - 24 July, 2014
I use Manual crate management. Because it doesnt make sense to me to introduce a 3rd party software and take the risk of fucking up my serato library. I also use flac and itunes doesnt support it.
Dj MacMillz 4:55 PM - 24 July, 2014
Manual, better (tighter) control..... Crates mirror folders.

After doing it for a while, it becomes effortless....

I do however use iTunes & dougscripts...along with media rage & keyfinder for my complete post download routine (sorting, keying & tagging) prior to serato import.
 6 6:11 PM - 24 July, 2014
Still using with codes with lead to virtual crates. Best of both worlds.
nm
 6 6:11 PM - 24 July, 2014
Still using iTunes....

nm
L'Phonik 11:37 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
..... for my complete post download routine (sorting, keying & tagging) prior to serato import.

hey mac,do you have a link for that post? would love to read it man.

Quote:

6, love to find out more about it .. can you point me in the right direction? my manual unstreamlined process seems like it takes hours everytime!

any help you guys can give on this is mad appreciated!

L
Quote:
I use Manual crate management. Because it doesnt make sense to me to introduce a 3rd party software and take the risk of fucking up my serato library

thats what i thought too man, but manual just taking so damn long!
Dj MacMillz 2:01 AM - 25 July, 2014
Key Finder: serato.com

Doug Scripts: dougscripts.com

Code Method 6 mentioned (started by his old moniker) beware it's a deep thread (nh, nm)
serato.com

I've used various tips from this thread and came up with my own method (in the end that's what it's all about right?)

Media Rage: www.chaoticsoftware.com

Good luck.
Dj MacMillz 2:10 AM - 25 July, 2014
What I do (as I should've explained earlier)

1- Download tracks (pools etc)
2- Load to itunes (listen)
3- While in iTunes, I tag accordingly to my codes, this is also where doug scripts are used.
4- Run through key finder
5- Run through media rage (I have it set to change my file names to reflect my code format, so no matter what software I take said track(s) to, they will look uniformed)
6- Move songs to folders in my music folder
7- Load into Serato (to mirrored crates)

Media Rage is very powerful, I know for a fact there's a lot more that I can use it for, but at the moment I honestly only understand so much and it suits what I use it to do.
deezlee 3:28 AM - 25 July, 2014
When tagging sixxx style, there are doug's scripts that you can use. I put my sixxx style codes in the "group" tag in iTunes. To tag multiple songs at once, I use a "add or remove group" dougscript to add codes to the "group" tag without overwriting the existing "group" tags. I put the songs into (multiple) temporary playlists (wedding, clean, etc) first to make selecting them easier, but you don't need to do that.

A "group" tag on a song might look like this:

[wed, [cln, [80s

make sure serato is set to search the group tag and yer good to go.

Search for [wed and there are all of your wedding jams.
 6 3:56 AM - 25 July, 2014
I had to change my method a little now that I run Serato DJ.

1. Download all my music files from different sources as usual.
2. Import to iTunes (but all the files are not imported into the iTunes folder. They're just on my desktop)
3. Go through files as usual deleting the ones I won't use and tagging with codes the proper ones. I also use Doug's Scripts here especially one that renames the forenames.
4. Delete those files I'm keeping from iTunes. (This is how the method changed with Serato DJ since it's best to not let iTunes create folders within the iTunes main folder)
5. Move all files I renamed and tag into the iTunes folder.
6. Import all those files again into iTunes. This time they're tag and complete and in the right location so nothing else needs to be done.
L'Phonik 5:20 AM - 25 July, 2014
DJ MACMILLZ, DEEZLEE, AND 6 ...this is GOLD guys!! Thank you. Got plenty to check up on now.

I plan to get started on a new library/crate itunes workflow this weekend...dougscripts, rage the 6 tags method all sound super efficient .. appreciate the tips on workflows too. my sh!t is all over the shop so def need to start from scratch, this is a big help. one thing i know is i won't be rushing taking shortcuts to move music over just before gigs anymore.

i'll def be checking back on this thread tomorrow. thanks again, and cheers ya'll.

L
 6 5:26 AM - 25 July, 2014
Glad to be of help. Remember, whatever method you use, make sure it works for you. You can modify whatever method we all use to best fit your needs.

Nm
Dj MacMillz 6:37 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Glad to be of help. Remember, whatever method you use, make sure it works for you. You can modify whatever method we all use to best fit your needs.

Nm

+1

Don't rush and do it all at once and become overwhelmed, tackle it a little at a time, you'd be surprised at some of the crap you discover (low quality from the limewire/napster days when we didn't know better, duplicates, wrong tag info etc)

Be sure before anything, MAKE A BACKUP!!!, even if it's a backup of an unorganized library..

Treat it like homework, we all hated it, but it had to be done.
djnak 7:27 AM - 25 July, 2014
iTunes and smart playlist ...if files are tagged properly ... Life is simple
L'Phonik 4:08 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Code Method 6 mentioned (started by his old moniker) beware it's a deep thread (nh, nm)
serato.com

just finished a 5hr gig and been reading this entire CODES post for about 2 hours now... brilliant guys....this thread is invaluable!!! i assume sixxx is now 6 :) ... i was thinking to myself tonight that i was spending waaaaayy too much time scrolling through playlists and crates... this seems like it'll be much easier. and read up on the doug scripts seems like it'll help to automate stuff.
L'Phonik 4:10 PM - 25 July, 2014
big ups lads! i'm gonna try create my own list of codes tomorrow.. or if u guys have any suggestions for tried and proven ones?? (i'm still only halfway through the above thread!)
 6 7:12 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
serato.com

just finished a 5hr gig and been reading this entire CODES post for about 2 hours now... brilliant guys....this thread is invaluable!!! i assume sixxx is now 6 :) ... i was thinking to myself tonight that i was spending waaaaayy too much time scrolling through playlists and crates... this seems like it'll be much easier. and read up on the doug scripts seems like it'll help to automate stuff.

The code system is also here and it's easier to understand.

eyeam6.blogspot.com

nm
L'Phonik 11:40 PM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

eyeam6.blogspot.com

absolute legend you are 6! i can't wait to get started on this, just reading as much as i can right now before i start. i have shared your website to my DJ mates on facebook too as a have my own long status thread on this topic!
Thanks man!
L
 6 12:25 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

eyeam6.blogspot.com

absolute legend you are 6! i can't wait to get started on this, just reading as much as i can right now before i start. i have shared your website to my DJ mates on facebook too as a have my own long status thread on this topic!
Thanks man!
L

No problem.
L'Phonik 3:06 AM - 1 August, 2014
hi guys, do you find itunes the best program to tag songs in?? or do you use a 3rd party program then import to itunes?
 6 3:43 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
hi guys, do you find itunes the best program to tag songs in?? or do you use a 3rd party program then import to itunes?

It's all personal preference.

nm
The Oldboy 9:09 AM - 2 August, 2014
I've got 150gig that needs sorting out. I try blanket deleting all the tripe I don't need but then I end up losing stuff, it's something I haven't been on top of for years. I started with Genre playlists, then monthly playlists, then playlists for certain events. Now this has all worked to an extent but I've definitely lost gold in the abyss somewhere :(
Laz219 10:19 AM - 2 August, 2014
Smart crates within Serato software, although all tracks are initially read from itunes (just because I like to be able to random play songs to get familiar with new tracks)
L'Phonik 3:17 PM - 6 August, 2014
hey guys just an update, ive started building my library in serato using the itunes option and have started tagging codes in 6 style, i have since been updating tag codes in serato but can't get them to reflect in itunes. can i fresh itunes?
have also started using doug scripts now too very cool, can't seem to find a script that will update this in there tho??? any idea guys??

..... maan this thing is taking forever like i knew i would but im convinced it'll be all worth it once most of it is done!
L'Phonik 3:33 PM - 6 August, 2014
Quote:

ive got a pretty impressive list of codes going on now starting to rework some of them for example. i use [fnk for funk, but then i'll also tag tracks that have funk elements with [fnk, or [jz for jazz i'll also use to describe [hh [jz hip hop jazz or house with jazz elements [hs [jz. then i have a [jazz code for standard jazz tracks. i'm figuring it out as i go..
I also use 3 track temperature codes (eg: [1,[2,[3 which i'm hoping i can use to eliminate using serato colors.
here are the codes so far

they all start with a [

60, SIXTIES
80, EIGHTIES
90, NINETIES
AC, ACOUSTIC
ACI, ACID JAZZ
AF, AFRICAN
AFROB, AFROBEAT
BAL, BALLAD
BG, BOOGIE
BNG, BANGER
BOS, BOS
BOO, BOOGALOO
BRA, BRASS BAND
BRA, BRAZILIAN
BRE, BREAKS
CAR, CARIBBEAN
CHI, CHILL
CL, CLASSIC
DUB, DUB
EC, EAST COAST
ED, EDIT
EL, ELECTRO
FNK, FUNK
FUNK, FUNK
GOS, GOSPEL
JZ, JAZZ
JAZZ, TRADITIONAL JAZZ
HS, HOUSE
HT, HOT ****************
LTN, LATIN
LOU, LOUNGE
SW, SWING
TR, TROPICAL
MOD, MODERN
NEO, NEO SOUL
NJ, NEW JACK
NU, NU (NU SOUL, NU DISCO
OLD, OLDIES (40'S 50'S SOUL)
OCH, ORCHESTRA
POP, POP
QS, QUIET STORM
REG, REGGAE
ROC, ROCK
ROO, ROOTS
RNB, RNB
SAM, SAMPLES
SOU, SOUL
WC, WEST COAST
deezlee 6:00 PM - 6 August, 2014
select all in itunes, get info, don't change anything and hit ok.

p.s. try it on a few files first, I THINK that's how I did it.
 6 4:29 AM - 7 August, 2014
Quote:

p.s. try it on a few files first, I THINK that's how I did it.

I don't think that works anymore on newer versions of iTunes. Not sure 100%. You may have to play the file in iTunes for it to refresh.

nm
L'Phonik 12:20 AM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:

yeah that didn't work at all. I did some research and found this script "AppleScript: Refresh Selected iTunes Tags" which works perfectly to update tags in itunes after i had done some editing in SSL.
here's the link:
marv.kordix.com
deezlee 1:03 AM - 8 August, 2014
yeah i'm still using ssl 1.9.2 on a 2006 macbook, i stopped updating itunes years ago so that would explain it.
ozfrombk 3:53 AM - 8 August, 2014
Those of y'all that do it the manual way, do y'all use iTunes to at least preview the song?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:43 PM - 8 August, 2014
No ^^
ozfrombk 9:06 PM - 8 August, 2014
So what media player do you use?
DJ Remix Detroit 9:10 PM - 8 August, 2014
Quote:

preview the track online via the record pool, tag it correctly, then throw it in SSL.
djvtyme85 12:32 AM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

preview the track online via the record pool, tag it correctly, then throw it in SSL.

/\ what he said/\

serato offline player is a great tool if you use it lol plus i can add cues. why do all that tag work just to go back and do more in serato?
TRACK KING COLE 11:43 AM - 9 August, 2014
Im a manual type of guy, just because i like how i set my library up. Also iTunes goes crazy at times, and i would hate to mess my library up right before a gig.
L'Phonik 1:13 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
serato offline player is a great tool if you use it lol plus i can add cues. why do all that tag work just to go back and do more in serato?

^^^ dope

i'm gonna start doing that now.. good idea bro, tag up the track, i colour mine too, in serato while i'm previewing from my desktop pc before it gets trans to the mac, i remember i used to do it and it saves the colour info too to the file somehow.
L'Phonik 1:16 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:

gotta give a shout out to 6 for the codes. i've tagged the majority of my popular folders and played most of the set whacking in diff codes.. game changer rather than scrolling thru playlist! diggin it.
ozfrombk 1:53 PM - 9 August, 2014
Codes are a good idea. I used to use iTunes but it's just too much of a hassle now with their more recent versions. I also use the offline serato player to preview the songs and put cues in, tag, and then sort.
 6 4:35 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

gotta give a shout out to 6 for the codes. i've tagged the majority of my popular folders and played most of the set whacking in diff codes.. game changer rather than scrolling thru playlist! diggin it.

Always glad to see this. Thanks

nm
djnak 5:44 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Also iTunes goes crazy at times, and i would hate to mess my library up right before a gig.

itunes Goes crazy??? seem more like a user related issue to me... if you understand how itunes sorts media it shouldn't go crazy...I use codes and tag my files in a way that they show up in itunes the EXACT same way the would if I were to manually do everything

my workflow goes like this....

1. d/l media
2. drop all files in mp3tag (fix id3 tag info & add codes)
3. drop new media in automatically add to iTunes folder
4. open serato and analyze files (at this time I can add cues and loops if needed)
TRACK KING COLE 6:33 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Also iTunes goes crazy at times, and i would hate to mess my library up right before a gig.

itunes Goes crazy??? seem more like a user related issue to me... if you understand how itunes sorts media it shouldn't go crazy...I use codes and tag my files in a way that they show up in itunes the EXACT same way the would if I were to manually do everything

1. d/l media
4. open serato and analyze files (at this time I can add cues and loops if needed)

OK we understand you love iTunes.... Some of us don't and we rather do it manually. Further more iTunes is prehistoric, thats one of the reasons they brought Beats by Dre so they could get Beats Music.
 6 7:00 PM - 9 August, 2014
iTunes is quite powerful if you're using scripts. That's not to say that you couldn't use anything else you want. To each his or her own.

nm
djnak 8:53 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:

OK we understand you love iTunes.... Some of us don't and we rather do it manually.

far from love and I was in the boat of hating and never using iTunes for a long long time....but that shit was time consuming... it is what has made my work flow faster and easier....
deezlee 9:00 PM - 9 August, 2014
yup scripts
DJ Remix Detroit 9:07 PM - 9 August, 2014
So how do you guys use these scripts? How does it make your workflow easier?
 6 9:21 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
So how do you guys use these scripts? How does it make your workflow easier?

It's basically automation.

Tons of scrips so you don't have to retype stuff. Or delete and replace stuff. Or tag or change file names. Etc

nm
DJ Remix Detroit 9:37 PM - 9 August, 2014
Oh ok. So pretty much what your average tag n rename software does
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:28 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Those of y'all that do it the manual way, do y'all use iTunes to at least preview the song?

Serato in offline mode...
 6 11:11 PM - 9 August, 2014
Quote:
Oh ok. So pretty much what your average tag n rename software does

correct

nm
Dj Nyce 5:17 AM - 10 August, 2014
itunes apple scrips ftw
dj_ys 6:31 AM - 10 August, 2014
I was all iTunes, now using Beatport Pro to organize my library. The built in mood & venue tags >>>
djvtyme85 1:54 PM - 10 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

1. d/l media

thats a lot of steps i simply do 1 & 4 all in serato
Hitman303 3:47 AM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
I was all iTunes, now using Beatport Pro to organize my library. The built in mood & venue tags >>>

Beatport pro is great for organizing, especially since the beta added mp4's
but how do you get that organization and playlists into serato
L'Phonik 5:20 AM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:

djvtyme85 what happens once you move new music there ... do you have to move it to a respective playlist or do you just play from the tags?
djvtyme85 5:38 AM - 11 August, 2014
i use smart crates and tags
dj_ys 4:50 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Beatport pro is great for organizing, especially since the beta added mp4's
but how do you get that organization and playlists into serato

Have the codes show up as comments, just like using codes in iTunes. Beatport's interface makes it a bit easier to drill down into the library and find songs for me to then build my specialty crates / mixtape playlists.

With tighter integration from Serato & Beatport in can be a killer tool.
Hitman303 5:00 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:

Have the codes show up as comments, just like using codes in iTunes. Beatport's interface makes it a bit easier to drill down into the library and find songs for me to then build my specialty crates / mixtape playlists.

With tighter integration from Serato & Beatport in can be a killer tool.

can you describe the process you currently use from downloading to beatport pro to serato please.
I really like beatport pro but am unable to get a good system between it and serato
But like you said tighter integration with Serato & Beatport pro would be ideal
djnak 8:21 PM - 11 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

what happens once you move new music there ... do you have to move it to a respective playlist or do you just play from the tags?

I have things tagged in a way itunes will automatically organize the track the way I prefer it too...I also use smart playlist (which are set up the same way as media get organized) so say iTunes shits the bed...I can manually drag and drop the file structure into serato and everything will be organized the way I want it to be
Hitman303 2:20 PM - 12 August, 2014
Quote:

I have things tagged in a way itunes will automatically organize the track the way I prefer it too...I also use smart playlist (which are set up the same way as media get organized) so say iTunes shits the bed...I can manually drag and drop the file structure into serato and everything will be organized the way I want it to be

hey dj nak, do you have tons of playlists? any screen shots?
djnak 2:24 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:

hey dj nak, do you have tons of playlists? any screen shots?

not too many really

basically like this

60's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
70's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
80's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
-Freestyle
-Hip Hop
-R&B
90's
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
-Freestyle
-Hip Hop
-R&B
-House
And So On and so forth adding a new genre Folders as needed (Trap/Electro/Twerk/Moombah Ext Ect)
Hitman303 4:08 AM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:

not too many really

basically like this

60's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
70's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
80's
-Motown
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
-Freestyle
-Hip Hop
-R&B
90's
-Pop
-Disco
-Rock
-Freestyle
-Hip Hop
-R&B
-House
And So On and so forth adding a new genre Folders as needed (Trap/Electro/Twerk/Moombah Ext Ect)

thanks, i'm going to do like you and have some of my playlists mirrored in serato in case my iTunes library messes up and I can just drop the files over from iTunes into the same crate names in serato.
dj_ys 9:35 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:

can you describe the process you currently use from downloading to beatport pro to serato please.
I really like beatport pro but am unable to get a good system between it and serato
But like you said tighter integration with Serato & Beatport pro would be ideal

1. Download to iTunes
2. Tag in Beatport (mood, venue, etc)
3. Filter Playlist in beatport

(ex. For a sneaker boutique, I'll want 90s,00s,10s hip-hop. Year = 1990 - 2014. Mood = underground, funky, dirty, hard, NOT cheesy (these are built in beatport tags. You can also add your own). Venue = Sneaker Store, Personal, House. Rating = 3-5 stars. Energy = 2-4 stars.)

Beatport basically makes a smart playlist with these parameters.

4. Save the filter (Sneaker Boutique). It'll be available like a bookmark at the top of the page now and will live update with songs that fit.

5. Create a Serato Crate with the same name and just drag the songs from the beatport playlist to your serato crate. When i play a sneaker store event now, I'll just drag and drop the beatport playlist to the serato crate. It's just like smart playlists.

This is completely based on Sixxx's code system. Beatport gives you more clearly defined tools to organize your music (mood, venue, set time, and energy tags) rather than relying on a code system in the comments but until it's better integrated Serato, it's a more cumbersome process.

You can basically select tags from a menu just like blogging software instead of having a list or just doing them off memory. It's easier when tagging, but more work when playing out.

I'll sometimes run Beatport along side serato and turn off Serato reading the iTunes library. Find songs in Beatport, drop them in Serato. Not as seamless as it could / should / will be but the trade off is worth it to me. Definitely not for everyone though.

Does that explain things a bit better?
dj_ys 9:47 PM - 13 August, 2014
Another option is the whole fake iTunes library (which I've been scared to do) but will try shortly.
Hitman303 9:49 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
Another option is the whole fake iTunes library (which I've been scared to do) but will try shortly.

how would that work?
Hitman303 9:51 PM - 13 August, 2014
thanks for the above, it gives me a better understanding and a way to use beatport pro with iTunes and Serato. Do you run into any issues with beatport pro taking a long time when reading your iTunes file or any crashes with it?
dj_ys 10:09 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

how would that work?

Basically beatport acts like your iTunes library. It's how they say they integrate with serato (for now at least)
Hitman303 11:26 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:

Basically beatport acts like your iTunes library. It's how they say they integrate with serato (for now at least)

I don't know about that, seems risky
dj_ys 11:43 PM - 13 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know about that, seems risky

Nah, people have duped iTunes libraries before.