DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My son's new DJ website

Kenny Q 2:07 AM - 18 February, 2009
My son and I just updated his website.
Please take a look and let us know what you think.

www.djkenedi.com

Thanks,
Kenny Q
bill-e 2:41 AM - 18 February, 2009
cheesy
lvmez 2:43 AM - 18 February, 2009
incredible. your son is headed for stardom. keep him humble.
lvmez 2:44 AM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
cheesy

he's 13. do you have a website?
sopranosupasta 2:46 AM - 18 February, 2009
hey Kenny, your son is going to be a force to reckon with. he's doing very well for his age.... great stuff....
bill-e 2:47 AM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
cheesy

he's 13. do you have a website?

seeing as how that has no bearing on the original question whatsoever and my opinion on it...naw
R-Tistic 2:51 AM - 18 February, 2009
Cool set up, very simple and has a lot of info. I'm sure he'll make a million off kids events, and they'll be down with him FOREVER.
J3RMZ 4:45 AM - 18 February, 2009
You should have his mixes stream instead of a dl
DJ JAMES E 6:25 AM - 18 February, 2009
I liked the way he had it better before.
Kenny Q 2:04 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
cheesy

What do you expect for a 13 year old.
Quote:
incredible. your son is headed for stardom. keep him humble.

Thanks. He's very shy and many of his friends don't understand the DJ stuff.
Quote:
You should have his mixes stream instead of a Down Load.

I don't know how to stream audio in iWeb. Also, many friends and clients download the mixes.
Quote:

We were tired of seeing the same website for a year. It was time for a change.

Thank you for your replies. Keep them coming.
-Kenny Q
papsworth 3:02 PM - 18 February, 2009
I think it's good. Has a personable touch which many sites lack.

It feels genuine and comes off as a site of someone who loves what they do and would be easy to work with.
Deejay Z 3:48 PM - 18 February, 2009
I love iWeb, I do all of my websites in there

www.iKnowDJZ.com
dj_craigmac 3:55 PM - 18 February, 2009
The site is well put together for the business you're doing. It's honest straight forward, and plays to multiple demographics. If i needed a dj for an event i'd book the kid for the novelty and skill he has.

Hey Kenny aren't there "CHILD LABOR LAWS" where you live? LLOL
DJ GaFFle 5:09 PM - 18 February, 2009
I like this site better than his old one. He'd doing big tings for such a young kid.

Maybe he should reduce the size of the graphic a little on the home 1st page so it all fits instead of having to scroll down to see the whole image.

Is it possible for him to enable thumbnails/slideshow (1st) on the gallery instead of the entire list of pictures showing up initially? I know you can choose the slideshow but by then, all the below pics have loaded... some peoples internet or cellular speeds are wack and those pics may be slow to load.

Where is the 'contact me' or 'book me' link? Since he's so young, you can have that forwarded to your mailbox.
Kenny Q 5:34 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Maybe he should reduce the size of the graphic a little on the home 1st page so it all fits instead of having to scroll down to see the whole image.

I'll reduce the size tonight, Thanks.
Quote:
Is it possible for him to enable thumbnails/slideshow (1st) on the gallery instead of the entire list of pictures showing up initially? I know you can choose the slideshow but by then, all the below pics have loaded... some peoples internet or cellular speeds are wack and those pics may be slow to load.

I don't think I have much control over that with iWeb, but if you click somewhere in the slideshow page you can also see thumbnails.
Quote:
Where is the 'contact me' or 'book me' link? Since he's so young, you can have that forwarded to your mailbox.

I didn't want anyone to try to contact him because of his age (just like you said). Instead I left a link to my website.
Quote:
The site is well put together for the business you're doing. It's honest straight forward, and plays to multiple demographics. If i needed a dj for an event i'd book the kid for the novelty and skill he has.

Thanks Craig Mac. How's San Diego? I was stationed there from 1986-1989.
sixxx 6:34 PM - 18 February, 2009
Good stuff. Props for keeping your son on track.... and by that, you know what I mean.
DJ JAMES E 7:10 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:

Quote:

We were tired of seeing the same website for a year. It was time for a change.
-Kenny Q

I think what I mainly liked about the previous site he had was that the background colors were lighter. It's harder for me to read white text on a black background. Not impossible, but it's easier on the eyes and more enjoyable with a white background. In college I took web-design and I remember them telling us to try to keep a clean white background whenever possible and said that some of the biggest most popular sites (google, walmart, amazon, flickr, etc) all use a white background. I remember your son's old website because it stood out to me as impressive since you had said your son created it. I also remember taking the time to check out all the pictures and read the bio.
dj hes 7:22 PM - 18 February, 2009
Its impressive to see a kid that old djing weddings, you must have given him a long history lesson in music!
Kenny Q 8:04 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Good stuff. Props for keeping your son on track.... and by that, you know what I mean.

Sixxx, thanks a lot for the complement and thanks for helping him with his 80’s Old School Mix (a couple of years ago). One trick that he learned from you is having two of the same records ready, stopping one while it is playing and starting the other one about a second after the first one ended. I don’t know if you remember but you did this with the song “Bad Boys” by Bad Boys feat. K Love. He uses this technique on a regular basis now.
Quote:
Its impressive to see a kid that old djing weddings, you must have given him a long history lesson in music!

Back when he was about 6 or 7 years old I made him an mp3 CD called “Kenedi’s Party CD”. The disc had over 150 popular songs of many Genres.
He used to ask for his mother and I to play this CD all of the time.
I didn’t know it then, but this CD trained him for what he is doing now at weddings.
This is an example of the songs from the CD:
Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman, Whoomp! There it is by Tag Team, Ballroom Blitz (he used to love this song), Pump up the Jam, Rockin’ Robin, ABC by Jackson 5, Respect by Aretha, New York, New York by Frank Sinatra, Back when the old stuff was new by Garth Brooks, The Devil went down to Georgia ( He used to love this song too), Rubber Band Man by The Spinners, Word Up, Funky Cold Medina, The Curley shuffle, Los Duenos del Swing by Los Hermanos Rosario…

When I gave him my old Turntables and Mixer, I also gave him about 100 of my 80’s hip hop records. I was big time into Hip Hop from 1982 – 1987. He now knows this era in Hip Hop better than most.

I also used to put Hard core 80’s metal in his iPod (Metallica, Flotzam & Jetsam, Megadeth, Anthrax, etc…).

Also,
When we do weddings, I visit each table during dinner, joke around with guests and take request. By the time everyone is ready to dance, we already know what they want.
Quote:
I think what I mainly liked about the previous site he had was that the background colors were lighter. It's harder for me to read white text on a black background.

I agree with you 100%. This is why my website is white with black text. I think my son wanted it black because most teenagers like it like that. Even his clothes are mostly black.
I will let him know about this and maybe make some changes.
Thanks
djchrischip 8:11 PM - 18 February, 2009
hey kenny i def would love to see the full trck list on that mp3 party cd lol.
DJ GaFFle 8:13 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
I didn't want anyone to try to contact him because of his age (just like you said). Instead I left a link to my website.

I think I had to search to find it. How bout making it a hotlink on the homepage just like 'Photo Gallery' and 'About DJ Kenadi'?
DJ GaFFle 8:14 PM - 18 February, 2009
Kenedi
sixxx 8:25 PM - 18 February, 2009
I remember Kenny. Good stuff. Id love to see him spin live one of these days... maybe have him on stickam or something.
Certified Quality Entertainment 8:33 PM - 18 February, 2009
I think sixxx wants to recruit him to sell oranges!
sixxx 8:37 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
I think sixxx wants to recruit him to sell garages!

That's Grand T's job.
dj_craigmac 9:15 PM - 18 February, 2009
[Thanks Craig Mac. How's San Diego? I was stationed there from 1986-1989.

All is well here in Sandiego, cant think of another place i'd rather be. Navy or Marine Corp ?
DeeJay From The Bay 5:28 AM - 19 February, 2009
good shit... i wanna something like this
grotesque 6:16 AM - 19 February, 2009
mad respect. those mixes are cool and the site works nicely... wish i'd started that early...
AMF 3:01 PM - 19 February, 2009
Much props to your son Kenny Q. Nice website. I wish I would have had someone to put me on the right track when I was starting out.
Kenny Q 4:01 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
hey kenny i def would love to see the full trck list on that mp3 party cd lol.

I was playing it in the car yesterday. A lot of the songs are corny but great for a kid.
Quote:

Thanks, Fixed it last night.
Quote:
I think what I mainly liked about the previous site he had was that the background colors were lighter. It's harder for me to read white text on a black background.

My son wants to keep it black with white lettering.
Quote:
Much props to your son Kenny Q. Nice website. I wish I would have had someone to put me on the right track when I was starting out.

Thanks, some parents put time and relentless energy in making their kids learn classical instruments. I decided to help him as a DJ at his request :-)
DJkahar aka Skyscraper 5:37 PM - 20 February, 2009
Thats what up Kenny. You've givin your son a opportunity to become a dope DJ in the future. Just imagine how good he'll be when he's 21. I got two little boys too. My oldest is 6 and I want to start teaching him too. Im not the typical dad who takes their kids camping, hunting and fishing and all that other father son traditional stuff. I like to DJ, watch basketball, and play X Box. I've been lookin for way to spend more quality time with my boys. Kids love whatever their dad loves, especially boys! Im gonna start workin on that. Keep us updated.
marx 8:33 AM - 22 February, 2009
dope Kenny, glad hes still doin it
Kenny Q 4:08 AM - 23 February, 2009
Thanks Marx,
Glad your still doin' it too.
DJ LTIZZZLE 8:25 AM - 23 February, 2009
Big ups to you Kenny. My little Girl (8) told me she wants to Dj.. My Oldest song (10) writes music and records in Garage band. So, when i'm done here in Iraq i'll work with both. But seeing what you have done with your son gives all Parents/Djs hope.. Big ups!!
Kenny Q 2:28 PM - 23 February, 2009
Quote:
But seeing what you have done with your son gives all Parents/Djs hope.. Big ups!!

Thanks,
If you are going to get them into mobile Djing. Make them an mp3 cd of the biggest party hits from 1940's to now and have them listen to it on a regular basis. Kind of like what I wrote here:
Quote:
Back when he was about 6 or 7 years old I made him an mp3 CD called “Kenedi’s Party CD”. The disc had over 150 popular songs of many Genres.
He used to ask for his mother and I to play this CD all of the time.
I didn’t know it then, but this CD trained him for what he is doing now at weddings.
This is an example of the songs from the CD:
Sing Sing Sing by Benny Goodman, Whoomp! There it is by Tag Team, Ballroom Blitz (he used to love this song), Pump up the Jam, Rockin’ Robin, ABC by Jackson 5, Respect by Aretha, New York, New York by Frank Sinatra, Back when the old stuff was new by Garth Brooks, The Devil went down to Georgia ( He used to love this song too), Rubber Band Man by The Spinners, Word Up, Funky Cold Medina, The Curley shuffle, Los Duenos del Swing by Los Hermanos Rosario…

Send me a PM when you get back and I'll help you out with it.
-Kenny Q
DJ LTIZZZLE 2:36 PM - 23 February, 2009
No doubt man..
dj_KaSE 4:42 PM - 23 February, 2009
Great thing to see a youngen doing something positive. Awesome job, dad (no Jackson 5).

"My Dad is looking over my shoulder but he can’t mix as good as me" Damn, I think he wants to battle you hahaha. What, no turntables at gigs? =/

Who made the website?
Kenny Q 6:50 PM - 23 February, 2009
Quote:
"My Dad is looking over my shoulder but he can’t mix as good as me" Damn, I think he wants to battle you hahaha. What, no turntables at gigs? =/

Who made the website?

I made the bio and put up the home page on the website. The rest is based on the original website which he made.

I don’t like bringing turntables to weddings and certain parties because we need to setup and break down as quick as possible. It is common for us to do two parties in one day. Without the tables, he’ll mix using the pitch bend keyboard shortcuts. If he had it his way, he’d use the turntables.

As for him mixing better than me? He started saying that after a groom at a wedding told us that he carried me throughout the event.
dj_soo 7:24 PM - 23 February, 2009
Yea, i remember checking out that 80s mix a while back when you sent it to me - awesome that someone his age would be into such good tunes :) - mixed well to boot!
DJ JAMES E 7:35 PM - 23 February, 2009
I'd like to hear some more of his mixes if you have them :)

Great job on the site / fathering!
Kenny Q 8:10 PM - 23 February, 2009
My son has lots of mixes but not many that I am satisfied with.
He has to put one together for a Bat Mitzvah soon. I'll post that one.
Polanka 11:57 PM - 23 February, 2009
Wow that is so great!! Your website looks good!! I am trying to get my son started on being a DJ and it is nice to see kids already doing it. Keep up the good work. I just started building a website for our DJ services. Check it out let me know what you think.

www.hitek-entertainment.com
Kenny Q 12:03 AM - 24 February, 2009
Wow!
Are those little kids learning how to be DJs?
Great job!
Polanka 12:31 AM - 24 February, 2009
Yes my son is learning at the moment. He already knows how to work the equipment but he is not very good at selecting good music. I am trying to teach him how to get a crowd moving. I like your son's mixes!! His mixes have a great selection of music.
akaider 1:31 AM - 24 February, 2009
big up, props to dad!
Kenny Q 4:21 AM - 2 March, 2009
This is my son's latest mix.
He made it for a Bat Mitzvah client of ours.
Click on link to see track list and download.
www.djkenedi.com

Thanks,
Manny C dot com 7:23 AM - 2 March, 2009
Kenny, your son is off too a good start.

To make the photos load as a thumbnail gallery in iWeb, you have to start with a "photo page" template under the "add page" menu. You can adjust the size and parameters of the thumbnails from within the "inspector".
Kenny Q 3:13 PM - 6 March, 2009
Quote:
nice. why using 2 laptops?

We always use 2 laptops just incase of a problem with one of them.
Kenny Q 3:15 PM - 6 March, 2009
Please give feedback on my son's latest mix.
djdragon 1:34 AM - 7 March, 2009
Teach him CSS it would be well worth it.
Kenny Q 1:25 PM - 7 March, 2009
Quote:
Teach him CSS it would be well worth it.

What's CSS?
slayed 6:59 PM - 7 March, 2009
used for web design, better than html
slayed 7:00 PM - 7 March, 2009
or used with html might I add?