DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 v Pioneer DDJ-SZ thoughts

DJ BD 3:16 PM - 14 April, 2014
Would it be fair to say that the Rane 62 is built for for scratch and hip-hop styled DJing and the SZ is more techno/Electronic/Dub Blending?

I will preface this with I have been completely out of the game for 20 years - a looong time and am just getting back into it. I am looking at these 2 models. I have a pair of Stanton str8-150s (new) to use with either.

I am guessing that the jog wheels are not that big a deal. With the focus being solely on the features of the mixer, I would love to hear your input. I have been battling back and forth on both. I have used the Rane 62 and the SX and SR over the last couple of months.

This is also strictly for home use. I don't plan on making a penny as this is an old love I now have the time and means to get back into - a hobby if you will.

Thanks for your help! If I left anything out that would help - please ask. Happy to provide any additional info.....
DJ BD 3:26 PM - 14 April, 2014
Oh, I am totally into hip-hop - not the other styles....
Jumbo Boogie 3:36 PM - 14 April, 2014
If it's only a hobby a 62 & SZ are complete overkill...but hey...your money your choice.

The gear you want all depends on what you want to do and if you prefer the feel of traditional turntables or not.
raedonquan 4:08 PM - 14 April, 2014
You got tables all ready.... drop dime on the 61 if you don't use the cue or looping....

I have both sz and the 62..... love both of them...
DJ BD 4:12 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
If it's only a hobby a 62 & SZ are complete overkill...but hey...your money your choice.

The gear you want all depends on what you want to do and if you prefer the feel of traditional turntables or not.

100% correct - complete overkill, I totally agree. I would use the turntables with either. So, I am thinking it comes down to the mixer comparing.
Thanks!
DJ BD 4:22 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
You got tables all ready.... drop dime on the 61 if you don't use the cue or looping....

I have both sz and the 62..... love both of them...

I asked on the Rane section about cue points and wasn't sure if it works the same as on the Pioneer DDjs - love that feature.

I do like the post fader effects - seems to be debatable as to that being available on the SZ - but maybe possible from the on board side.

I really like the looping in and out as well.
Thanks for your thoughts!
DJ BD 5:01 PM - 14 April, 2014
Looks like a Rane 61 combined with the Pioneer DDJ-SP1 might be a good combo?
Jumbo Boogie 1:30 PM - 15 April, 2014
If you only mix two channels the combo will work.

Have you already invested many hours setting up your music library in Serato? There are other options if you haven't.

Native Instrument's Z2 is an alternative...it runs Traktor which is similar to Serato at almost half the price.
DJ BD 3:14 PM - 15 April, 2014
Yeah, I have Serato all set and and comfortable with it. I guess I am leaning to Serato based units, with DVS. I am just pretty torn between the mixer capabilities of the Pioneers and the Rane 62.

I love the pads and cue points best on the Pioneers and really like the post fader effects on the Rane. If I went with the Pioneer, I would most likely scratch and mix off off the tables.

Thanks again for the advice!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 1:58 AM - 16 April, 2014
I Have both 62 and SZ and I prefer playing House/Dance music, but i spin all types of genres.
So it doesn't matter what mixer/controller i use, as long as I do the job ;)

Rane 61, DDJSP1 and your tables or just the DDJSZ

But it looks like you already made up your mind on the Pioneer :)
DJ BD 2:08 AM - 16 April, 2014
that coin is still in the air flip'n :) I am tearing between the 62 and the SZ - really leaning more towards the 62 believe it or not.

I am wondering if the Serato app will work like the SP1and let me trigger some cues with the turntable stopped.

Still some more research to do....
Thanks a ton for the advice!
Davideon 7:11 AM - 16 April, 2014
Im in the same boat. want to use dvs with sdj and looking at the options
A_Jack 8:53 AM - 16 April, 2014
Hows the sound quality in DDJ-SZ compared to Rane 62?

Thinking about switching from my 61 and turntables but wouldn't want to give up that big warm bass.
raequan 12:19 PM - 16 April, 2014
the rane sounds better....... the sz sounds better than the sx......

rane is still the winner in this category ..

61 with the ipad app is a good choice if you have an ipad already......

if you like hitting squishy buttons then get the SP1... but i would hold out on the sp1... cause there might be a sp1 mkII with colored pads....

the wining combo i have is the 62 w/cdj's or tt's and an rmx1000.... but thats a lot of weight to carry and the wire connections

the sz i like because of the spacing and the same size jog as a cdj. and not alot of wires to connect.

if the sz had send and returns i would have got rid of my 62.

make a list of what you like about each setup and the money factor you have to spend.

this will take you to what you want....
DjCity 12:35 PM - 16 April, 2014
Get a Rane 64 and call it a day!

The 62 is a great mixer but the 64 is laid out better with better fx.
boabmatic 2:27 PM - 16 April, 2014
the 62 has the same effects as the 64 plus the extra duck echo that was included in the new firmware.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:07 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
the 62 has the same effects as the 64 plus the extra duck echo that was included in the new firmware.

Wish they added that on the 64. Soon maybe
DJ BD 5:48 PM - 16 April, 2014
Cancelled the DDJ-SZ and ordered the Rane 64.
$200 more than the 62 - but I got a 15% of coupon and saw the build and buttons were a lil bit better and upgraded on the 64.

Complete overkill - but was in budget.
Thanks for all of the suggestions and thoughts.

Will def look at the SP1 if they come out with color pads!

Good look'n out
Quote:

if you like hitting squishy buttons then get the SP1... but i would hold out on the sp1... cause there might be a sp1 mkII with colored pads....
monkeyfunk 7:03 AM - 18 April, 2014
Good job ! Keep us informed how you get on.

I'm getting my 62 today - I went for it for these reasons

1. Straight upgrade from my beloved tank, the TTM57SL

2. I don't like jog wheels & I still love my vinyl

3. If something goes wrong, I can keep using the turntables with a standby mixer. If the S X/SZ FAILS, I lose the while unit
pdidy 10:06 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
Hows the sound quality in DDJ-SZ compared to Rane 62?

Thinking about switching from my 61 and turntables but wouldn't want to give up that big warm bass.

Bad idea, never give ya turntables ......you will likely regret it. Just add the sz to your arsenal.
Then upgrade to the 62.....in that order.
SUBSTANCE 2:24 AM - 25 July, 2014
64 plus 1200's is pretty bloody nice for a hobby setup!
The controllers are nice but for Hip Hop 1200's are king (and putting each 1200 a foot away from the crossfader is awkward too)
pdidy 2:37 AM - 25 July, 2014
Quote:

(and putting each 1200 a foot away from the crossfader is awkward too)

Not to mention real djs are all gonna laugh at you.....lol
dj vegas 7:09 AM - 26 July, 2014
i just sold my 62 and 1200's for the ddi sz. I died my whole adult life from 96 on only tables. I picked up a ddi sr for shitty weekday gigs and loved it. I got so sick of dusty needles $96 for stylus and 2 records every 3 months…. And I play at clubs where parking is a bitch making trip after trip for tables mixer bags sucked, Now the ddi sz one box and one laptop bag i love it!!!! The fader is going to be replaces by an inofader this week the curve is not as tight as i would like it on my ddi sz,. I did it and won't go back!!! I am way more at home on tables but its nice not having to worry about what I'm going to do if i need parts for my tables. Anyway just my story
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:41 AM - 26 July, 2014
^ congrats on SZ :)
geeunot 7:47 PM - 28 July, 2014
Damn. I think I'm going to get an innofader for my SZ as well!
Joee 1:25 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:

don't the sz already have a quality magnetic fader?
Nicholy 1:40 PM - 31 July, 2014
I have both the SZ and the 62/1210's w dicers. I prefer the feel of vinyl anyday over the SZ platters.
geeunot 10:49 PM - 31 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

it's cool but not sharp enough. i had to switch it out for my djm 800 too. compared to rane faders which are meant more for scratching, the pioneer faders don't really compare.
Jumbo Boogie 11:44 AM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

it's cool but not sharp enough. i had to switch it out for my djm 800 too. compared to rane faders which are meant more for scratching, the pioneer faders don't really compare.

I know you can't do post fader effects on the SZ with the channel faders but can you do them with the channel gains as a workaround?
geeunot 5:22 PM - 1 August, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know you can't do post fader effects on the SZ with the channel faders but can you do them with the channel gains as a workaround?

Good question. I will have to try that when my SZ comes bak from repair.
Nicholy 7:32 PM - 1 August, 2014
if you use the on board effects and not the serato software effects, the effect still works post verticle fader. but when if you use the cross fader to the other side the effect will stop.