Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Pioneer XDJ-R1 Compatibility

jackwalton 9:20 AM - 11 April, 2014
I've been playing off my SL2 and Technics 1210's with Serato for the past couple of years but decided to invest in a controller due to playing out more frequently and in order to preserve my turntables.

I've just purchased a Pioneer XDJ-R1 and am shocked/very disappointed to find that Serato DJ is not compatible with this product. I'm left with no choice now but to leave Serato behind and use a program that is compatible. I'll be happy to return to Serato as I think the program is excellent - I'm just amazed that you don't support all controllers and I'd love to know the reason why...
Mark Quest 3:18 PM - 11 April, 2014
It's all about money, pure and simple. Virtual DJ (which isn't a bad program, even has a few features Serato users want, like Key correction) was happy to attach itself to a product that is aimed more towards people wanting option of either CDJ's, Wireless, USB or VirtualDJ software. Its a bit of a jack of all trades, master at none.
I've sold loads of these things where I work & about 50% get returned because the owners thought it could do something it couldn't, even when told during the sale it's CD's or USB or wireless from your phone,etc or with VDJ on a laptop only. Then they either buy a S4 or a DDJ-SX
I think Pioneers goal with that unit was to replace the Aero series & continue to get people interested in its Wireless capabilities & the Remotebox & Rekordbox apps, without hurting its No.1 Serato unit, the DDJ-SX and its little bro's, the DDJ-SR & DDJ-SB.
jackwalton 6:31 PM - 11 April, 2014
Thanks Mark. Sounds like I've had a shocker. What would you recommend?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 3:49 AM - 12 April, 2014
if you do not need CD players SR or SX

since you already have a SL2 and a mixer? maybe CDJs or Denon SC2900 or 3900s?
jackwalton 1:13 PM - 12 April, 2014
Thanks. I do like the look of them but was recommended to this by a friend in the trade. Looks like I'll be gigging tonight on the 1210's in amputee mode!
frankiet 2:02 AM - 14 April, 2014
Got the same problem.... was considering getting serato dj with video plug in but just will not work with my pioneer xdj-r1........... it is compatible with traktor scratch pro but has no support for video playing.... any suggestions?
betson 2:54 AM - 26 July, 2014
Hi All,
I have got serato scratch working on my XDJR-1 but with a couple of issues. Just have the SL1 box connected and run the outputs into each channel of the XDJ's line in's.

The issues seem to be with linear/rotary faders and knobs, mapping buttons via midi works fine and works well but all the knobs and sliders when mapped are just very random and go all over the place when you move or turn the dial. I tried all the different data types by pressing "c" when mapping but none work as they should. If you are happy to use a mouse for some controls you can use serato, sort of.

Cheers
Davideon 6:49 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:
I've been playing off my SL2 and Technics 1210's with Serato for the past couple of years but decided to invest in a controller due to playing out more frequently and in order to preserve my turntables.

I've just purchased a Pioneer XDJ-R1 and am shocked/very disappointed to find that Serato DJ is not compatible with this product. I'm left with no choice now but to leave Serato behind and use a program that is compatible. I'll be happy to return to Serato as I think the program is excellent - I'm just amazed that you don't support all controllers and I'd love to know the reason why...

serato.com

why we're you shocked, considering its not listed as supported?
Davideon 6:51 AM - 26 July, 2014
And the pioneer website doesn't say it can be used with serato. Get an Sr or sx
jackwalton 7:13 AM - 26 July, 2014
Please don't be condescending mr serato. It's 2014 and we live in an age where we expect technology to work and be compatible not the other way round.
Davideon 8:03 AM - 26 July, 2014
I'm not being condescending - that's not what condescending means. Just curious why you were shocked?

I've just checked and the s4 isn't supported!
Davideon 8:10 AM - 26 July, 2014
And why would a software developer support a unit designed to be used as standalone?
jackwalton 10:55 AM - 26 July, 2014
And again.

Because I don't read the small print, terms and conditions etc. As I'm sure 99% of the population do. Not fussed now though as I'm just accepting it for what it is and have since bought a DDJ SX so all bases covered.

I would be interested to know why you can't record directly out of the XDJ R1 though.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:40 AM - 26 July, 2014
Quote:

I would be interested to know why you can't record directly out of the XDJ R1 though.

Record how?
You can, by connecting output to a digital recorder. Unless you meant via USB? which is a no.

I used to own the XDJR1
betson 8:14 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
And why would a software developer support a unit designed to be used as standalone?

They could at least support software that works well enough to play out with using the midi function that came with the unit, there is no way I would play to a crowd using the supported Virtual DJ, it sounds awfull compared to Scratch Live.
deejdave 6:06 AM - 14 August, 2014
Quote:
Because I don't read the small print, terms and conditions etc. As I'm sure 99% of the population do.

Seems to me like being part of this 1% that does NOT read the small print is not the way. I am however SHOCKED you can NOT use the R1 with Rekordbox as in Controller > Laptop via ethernet cable. RB 3.0 is a pretty awesome software. I can understand NOT wanting to use VDJ though. I mean it's OK but I use it for Karaoke only.
Vwise 10:13 PM - 10 August, 2016
I'm also an owner of the XDJR1. I did read the small print and have had much success with an alternate dj program (Algoriddim's DJ Pro for Mac). This program works flawlessly with the XDJR1 since the last upgrade. However, I did notice some tactile flaws when you try using the jogs and fader when scratching. This may just be a setting that needs adjusting. But, I will say Serato still maintains its standing as best all around pro dj program. I suggest checking out Algoriddim DJ Pro which now has Spotify integration now upgraded to handle better audio quality play (a huge plus for mobile djs). Serato if only you could support the XDJR1 with maybe Serato itch or a lighter version at least, this would defeat all other dj apps out there! Thanks.
deejdave 1:51 AM - 11 August, 2016
DJ Pro does not offer 1:1 platter to play marker as Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox do. It is more of a simulated movement. Because of this the behavior differs from device to device and this includes native hardware. I have done some work with the Algoriddim team and this was one of my quirks with the software.

I guarantee Serato won't support anything ever again with Itch as it has been discontinued for years now. Furthermore adding the XDJ-R1 would not really gain them any traction at all due to the very few owners (as seen here) who purchased this unit for anything but RB. However there is a feature that would increase their userbase as well as benefit yourself and that is supporting ALL hardware as Rekordbox, Djay, VDJ and for the most part Traktor does. Make all features mappable and offer open sound card support.