Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato video still is not fundamentally correct!

dj vegas 6:38 AM - 25 March, 2014
I was like 50% off why not give it one more chance. I started djing video 6 or so years ago and switched to me because of this same problem 5 + years ago. Wow smh!

1 if you mix with your program faders "volume faders" and leave the crossfader in the middle the mix starts when volume from the second fader comes up. That is a simple concept but serato video makers think that if crossfader is in the middle the mix has started even if there is only sound coming out of one up fader this is crazy! The good people at me used common sense. There fx/second video does not start till the second sound is brought in. The serato people think that even if there is only one channel up the fx /second video should start mixing even when there is no sound coming out of the second channel this is a JOKE!

With that said you are going to say why not mix with the cross fader like most people. Fare question i will tell you why. I scratch with my crossfader so my curve is as tight as it can get so when I mix with the cross fader the volume is at 100 with the slightest move and that make the mix sounds like crap, If i mix with my up faders i can bring the mix volume in slow and it keeps my mix sounding clean,

What would fix this? By making the fx/second video start when the second sound source comes in. Serato video is broken this is not a preference issue its video mixing with no sound and that is plane crazy this was not fixed before the launch from day one.

What if you have the crossfader in the middle and only one volume fader up but sound came out of the second channel? You would have a broken mixer point blank end of story video sl is broken!
DeeJay P-Rez423 6:53 AM - 25 March, 2014
I'm also a scratch dj so to by pass this issue I turn my gain all the way down. I'm left with no choice. Because I would like to mix video byt no sound.
Serato
Nathan.H 6:57 AM - 25 March, 2014
Different transitions have different effects. Try the 'Upfaders Only' transition for example.
djnak 7:24 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Different transitions have different effects. Try the 'Upfaders Only' transition for example.

lol….
dj vegas 7:39 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

lol….

or try to make them all work hmmmm
dj vegas 7:39 AM - 25 March, 2014
like me works with them all:)
dj vegas 7:40 AM - 25 March, 2014
#broken
dj vegas 7:41 AM - 25 March, 2014
not trying to be a dick but what is the idea behind videos mixing with sound coming out of one channel only?
DeeJay P-Rez423 7:48 AM - 25 March, 2014
Sometimes I want the video mixed only kinda like video editing only.
Serato
Nathan.H 9:34 AM - 25 March, 2014
Which effect in particular irks you? They all act slightly differently to try to cover the different use cases that different people have.

Also: A little known secret is that you can also make your own... although I have no idea where that info is anymore as it is not officially supported.
dj vegas 5:48 PM - 25 March, 2014
sorry nathan never mind thanks for the time!
DJ Tecniq 6:15 PM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
I was like 50% off why not give it one more chance. I started djing video 6 or so years ago and switched to me because of this same problem 5 + years ago. Wow smh!

1 if you mix with your program faders "volume faders" and leave the crossfader in the middle the mix starts when volume from the second fader comes up. That is a simple concept but serato video makers think that if crossfader is in the middle the mix has started even if there is only sound coming out of one up fader this is crazy! The good people at me used common sense. There fx/second video does not start till the second sound is brought in. The serato people think that even if there is only one channel up the fx /second video should start mixing even when there is no sound coming out of the second channel this is a JOKE!

With that said you are going to say why not mix with the cross fader like most people. Fare question i will tell you why. I scratch with my crossfader so my curve is as tight as it can get so when I mix with the cross fader the volume is at 100 with the slightest move and that make the mix sounds like crap, If i mix with my up faders i can bring the mix volume in slow and it keeps my mix sounding clean,

What would fix this? By making the fx/second video start when the second sound source comes in. Serato video is broken this is not a preference issue its video mixing with no sound and that is plane crazy this was not fixed before the launch from day one.

What if you have the crossfader in the middle and only one volume fader up but sound came out of the second channel? You would have a broken mixer point blank end of story video sl is broken!
why not stick with one transition. I use luma key fade. Works fine when the faders in the middle. Certain transition won't look good depending on how you mix. You just have to figure out what is best for you. Seems pretty simple
SBDJ 1:11 AM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Also: A little known secret is that you can also make your own... although I have no idea where that info is anymore as it is not officially supported.

Certainly can, got quite a few I've created here using GLSL :)
dj vegas 3:49 AM - 26 March, 2014
"why not stick with one transition." yea i will do that i mean its 50 % off why use 100% seams fair thanks!
Serato
Nathan.H 4:00 AM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
"why not stick with one transition." yea i will do that i mean its 50 % off why use 100% seams fair thanks!

There should actually be a bunch that work. Additive, Additive Average, Center, Difference Fade etc. (i.e. all these with xfader in the middle are driven solely by the upfaders).
boabmatic 10:44 AM - 26 March, 2014
not done any video stuff for ages but the original VSL software had the ability to unlink the crossfader for video.

I guess that's not in Serato Video anymore.
boabmatic 10:45 AM - 26 March, 2014
page 7 of the manual..
serato.com
DJ Tecniq 6:15 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

There should actually be a bunch that work. Additive, Additive Average, Center, Difference Fade etc. (i.e. all these with xfader in the middle are driven solely by the upfaders).
You are correct but luma key fade looks the best when mixing videos and melt it pretty cool too.
DJ Tecniq 6:16 PM - 26 March, 2014
Quote:
not done any video stuff for ages but the original VSL software had the ability to unlink the crossfader for video.

I guess that's not in Serato Video anymore.
Wrong it is the same thing as scratch live. There is a midi panel to unlink the crossfader in serato video/serato dj.
DJ Reflex 5:13 AM - 16 April, 2014
I just used this effect last weekend. I needed to run audio on the left channel, yet run a video slide show (at a wedding) on the right channel. To keep the audio from playing through the system, I just Unlinked Fader on the right channel of the video. I kept the right fader down for audio, but ran it up for video. Crossfader was in the middle. What I got was what I expected - left audio / right video. Worked great for showing Bride/Groom's slide show to my own music mix.
Lou Dog 6:41 AM - 29 February, 2016
I've only used Serato Video in demo mode so maybe I'm missing something. But is there a way to just use one transition effect every time? I mix with the up faders and am having the same issue people are talking about here. But it seems to randomly cycle through the effects each mix. Any info/help is appreciated. Thanks
DJ Tecniq 4:54 PM - 29 February, 2016
Quote:
I've only used Serato Video in demo mode so maybe I'm missing something. But is there a way to just use one transition effect every time? I mix with the up faders and am having the same issue people are talking about here. But it seems to randomly cycle through the effects each mix. Any info/help is appreciated. Thanks
You need to make sure transition fx are off in the midi panel. I use the up faders and use luma key fade it works great for scratching and mixing.
Lou Dog 6:46 PM - 29 February, 2016
Ok cool. Thanks for the help man. I'll check it out again when I get home.