DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 Firmware SSL & SDJ

djkurve 3:46 PM - 19 February, 2014
Ok so first of all I've read this article...
dj.rane.com

Now the issue I have is this. Why isn't the new firmware backwards compatible? This is such a pain in the ass for me (and other DJ's) that use a 62. We shouldn't have to update/rollback firmware every time we want to switch between SSL and SDJ. Please tell me this issue will be fixed?
swavek 11:52 PM - 19 February, 2014
OK, I'm still using SSL, and with the 62 / firmware 2.14.

What problems am I supposed to be having that I won't have if I revert back to 1.17 ?
ekalb 4:40 AM - 20 February, 2014
Besides the BPM counter on my 62 mixer ssl 2.5 and firmware 2.14 work flawless for me now sdj 1.6 is another story
djkurve 5:41 AM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
OK, I'm still using SSL, and with the 62 / firmware 2.14.

What problems am I supposed to be having that I won't have if I revert back to 1.17 ?

Rane really doesn't get into specifics, but this is what they said...

"Caution to Rane Sixty-Two users: Due to backwards compatibility issues, the 2.14 firmware version is not to be used with Scratch Live. If you have updated to the 2.14 firmware version and wish to use Scratch Live, please roll back to firmware version 1.17 using the following rollback utilities:"

See this link for the rest of the article...
dj.rane.com

Would be nice to get some answers from Rane.....
djkurve 5:43 AM - 20 February, 2014
Quote:
Besides the BPM counter on my 62 mixer ssl 2.5 and firmware 2.14 work flawless for me now sdj 1.6 is another story

You don't even need to upgrade the 62's firmware if your using SSL. The reason Rane did the firmware update is to support Serato DJ with the 62. That's good to hear that SSL + 62 is working with the latest firmware update, but I'm not taking any chances of a crash.
s3kn0tr0n1c 12:02 PM - 20 February, 2014
sure its just a bug/glitch that will get fixed.
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:58 PM - 5 March, 2014
We have new firmware that fixes this and is currently being tested. I believe, if all goes well, this will be added to 1.6.1 which will be coming out very soon.
Joshua Carl 3:29 PM - 7 March, 2014
Quote:
We have new firmware that fixes this and is currently being tested. I believe, if all goes well, this will be added to 1.6.1 which will be coming out very soon.

^^^^ *LIKE
salt 11:55 AM - 11 March, 2014
pls. guys i use RANE 62 Z mixer , my only problem is that my video files breaks/cuts off when i load a video track.this is not good for my gigs because it breaks in the groove of the party.pls what can you suggest to help resolve this .
djkurve 2:28 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
pls. guys i use RANE 62 Z mixer , my only problem is that my video files breaks/cuts off when i load a video track.this is not good for my gigs because it breaks in the groove of the party.pls what can you suggest to help resolve this .

Sounds like one of two things.

You may have some corrupt video files in your library. If you see a lighting bolt in the far left column of the video file, then it's corrupted. If this is the case, I suggest gathering all corrupt files and running them through a program called Handbrake.

Also did you analyze all of your video files? This ensures a fast track load time. If not, Serato Scratch Live /Serato DJ will take a bit longer to load the track. The difference between an analyzed track and non analyzed track is that the analyzed track wav form will load instantaneous. Whereas a analyzed track wav form will load a a lot slower.

Hope this helps you.
Joshua Carl 3:59 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:

Yip.
99% sure this is a software/video file issue
Not a hardware issue.

Might want to repost with all your computer specs in the video help section.
DJ Kyle Berg 3:20 PM - 14 March, 2014
I can tell you that one of the problems it has is: if you're using both usb ports, the mixer will periodically freeze and shut down scratch live on both of the computers connected to it... and from what I understand, that problem will occur whether you're using SSL or SDJ.
Mark Rambo 6:44 AM - 16 March, 2014
Quote:

I had this happen to me about 6 times in one night doing videos using SDJ 1.6 and rane62.. other than this one strange night SDJ 1.6 and my 62 have been working perfect from the day it was released... crazy thing is, I tried to get it to do it again and over the last 6-8 gigs I have not had this happen again. looks to be something in the software, its def not a buffer issue or hardware issue from what I was seeing.. a few times when loading a track on the right deck the left deck video would freeze and then dropout or the track that was just loaded would have a partial gap in audio
Joshua Carl 5:40 PM - 17 March, 2014
often times when you have a blip, freeze, hang when you load a track its actually the unloading of the prior track that causes that.

now, for the most part most of the overview building/re-writting bugs have been fixed from what i can see.
but if i ever play a video i have not built an over view for, or added/deleted some cue points.
when i load the new track, the ejecting of the preceeding tracks actions are shown in the status bar (often times saying writting tags to bla bla bla)

not saying its def the issues... i think everyone has learned that hard lesson (especially in video) that pre-annylizing is a must.... but if not... it could certainly be a factor in the already resource hungry sdj
djkurve 5:48 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
often times when you have a blip, freeze, hang when you load a track its actually the unloading of the prior track that causes that.

now, for the most part most of the overview building/re-writting bugs have been fixed from what i can see.
but if i ever play a video i have not built an over view for, or added/deleted some cue points.
when i load the new track, the ejecting of the preceeding tracks actions are shown in the status bar (often times saying writting tags to bla bla bla)

not saying its def the issues... i think everyone has learned that hard lesson (especially in video) that pre-annylizing is a must.... but if not... it could certainly be a factor in the already resource hungry sdj

+1
Mark Rambo 3:41 AM - 18 March, 2014
thanks josh, i totally understand what your saying and that all is so true and thank you for help. I just want ad some info so maybe this can help Serato team in general and hope that they are reading this. this happened to me on videos that have been analyzed and I have been using for months in a designed routine and in the same order from the same location. Im running a mid-2012 i7 2.6 quadcore with 16ram 512 solid state Hd with HGST 7200rpm 1tb optibay. I was not running Airport, bluetooth or an external HD.... I even had pitch and time disabled, and my buffer for videos i leave set at 5ms to avoid usb drops. I did the exact same set the following night and everything work perfectly as it has for months. other than this one crazy night SDJ has been flawless for me
djkurve 3:44 AM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
thanks josh, i totally understand what your saying and that all is so true and thank you for help. I just want ad some info so maybe this can help Serato team in general and hope that they are reading this. this happened to me on videos that have been analyzed and I have been using for months in a designed routine and in the same order from the same location. Im running a mid-2012 i7 2.6 quadcore with 16ram 512 solid state Hd with HGST 7200rpm 1tb optibay. I was not running Airport, bluetooth or an external HD.... I even had pitch and time disabled, and my buffer for videos i leave set at 5ms to avoid usb drops. I did the exact same set the following night and everything work perfectly as it has for months. other than this one crazy night SDJ has been flawless for me

Hey Rambo what's your average temp whenever your running your video setup?
Mark Rambo 3:58 AM - 18 March, 2014
Kurve, i dont even run a fan app or check the temp.. it runs just a little bit warmer doing videos when running 2nd video output as opposed to just music. however when doing videos I have always run a cooling plate under just to help dissipate the heat throughout the unibody. I have had it quite a bit hotter testing everything at home with no cooling plate and with a speck case on the bottom trying to get it to overheat and it gets pretty toasty but i never let it get like that when im out working in club
djkurve 4:44 AM - 18 March, 2014
Quote:
Kurve, i dont even run a fan app or check the temp.. it runs just a little bit warmer doing videos when running 2nd video output as opposed to just music. however when doing videos I have always run a cooling plate under just to help dissipate the heat throughout the unibody. I have had it quite a bit hotter testing everything at home with no cooling plate and with a speck case on the bottom trying to get it to overheat and it gets pretty toasty but i never let it get like that when im out working in club

You should really download smcFanControl. smcFanControl controls the fans of every Intel Mac to make it run cooler. It also tells you the speed of your fans, as well as the current temperature.
www.macupdate.com

Oh and you can probably ditch that cooling pad of yours soon. Not sure how it actually dissipates any heat, since the bottom of the MBP is aluminum. That cooling pad would just be pushing the warm air back into the aluminum. There was a KickStarter for a specialized MBP cooling pad that was funded last September and they are getting ready to launch them any day now. The product is called, "TILT Stealth" unfortunately there is a wait list because they have to fulfill the people who originally funded the KickStarter (like me), but feel free to sign up! www.madminds.com It actually Oh and here's a link for more info on how this cooling pad works. youtu.be

Btw I'm pretty sure we have the same computer/specs. Except I don't have a SSD drive..YET! lol! I have a 750GB 7200 RPM in my main bay and the 1TB 7200 RPM in my optibay. Might pull the trigger on this drive and swap it in my main bay.
www.amazon.com

I'm still rocking the 4TB firewire external for my videos.
Joshua Carl 4:13 PM - 18 March, 2014
I run smc on full as soon as I launch mix emergency.
I have the icons right next to eachother.

Usually heating up results in things like dropped frames, stuttering performance.

Here's something to check.
What's your a). SeRato latency at?
b.) Rane hardware panel latency at
(Goto system preferences, icons down the bottom)

Which firmware is your mixer on, vs the version of ssl/sdj
Mark Rambo 2:09 AM - 19 March, 2014
Quote:
I run smc on full as soon as I launch mix emergency.
I have the icons right next to eachother.

Usually heating up results in things like dropped frames, stuttering performance.

Here's something to check.
What's your a). SeRato latency at?
b.) Rane hardware panel latency at
(Goto system preferences, icons down the bottom)

Which firmware is your mixer on, vs the version of ssl/sdj

5ms- original usb buffer
12ms -- panel
rane62 firmware 2.14 or 2.17 (which ever is the latest) and sdj 1.6

i have zero heat issues with my setup. for about 15 months on ssl with serato video I had zero issues and since feb when i switched to sdj 1.6 i gig 3 nights a week steady and only had issues on 1 night on a clubs brand new rane62 (i purchased it for them that week) that i did the firmware update from my computer.. i have yet to have 1 hiccup with my personal 62 running sdj 1.6
Culprit 3:30 AM - 20 March, 2014
Cant wait for the new firmware :)
Will08272 1:37 AM - 25 March, 2014
New firmware is out for 62 and SDJ 1.6.1 is also out. So far tried both scratch live and SDJ for about 20 mins each, so far so good on both.
djkurve 2:15 AM - 25 March, 2014
Quote:
New firmware is out for 62 and SDJ 1.6.1 is also out. So far tried both scratch live and SDJ for about 20 mins each, so far so good on both.

Does this mean I can have my USB buffer back to 1ms?
Culprit 4:42 AM - 25 March, 2014
I think they fixed the crashing issue
Res-Q 6:09 PM - 23 April, 2014
sorry didnt keep up with internet lately
whats up with the new serato update? was the firmware fixed too? i hate uninstalling the firmware each time I wanna use my 62
Res-Q 6:10 PM - 23 April, 2014
i hate uninstalling the firmware each time I wanna use my 62 with scratchlive going back from serato I mean
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:22 PM - 23 April, 2014
Hey Res.. this backwards compatibility issue was fixed in the latest driver/firmware --> dj.rane.com
Install driver then update the firmware:)
FRANCISCO djmota 3:20 PM - 25 December, 2016
HELLO I have a macpro core 2 duo 2.66 4gb ram 9600gt 512 snow leopard use scrath live 2.5 with videos serato video 1.1 with rane 62.
What would be the recommended configuration in the panel rane and latency of ssl and video buffer? THANKS