Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Worth it to have a dj only computer?

Frenchy 3:25 PM - 9 January, 2014
Hi, I recently got a MacBook Air for the purpose of djing. So far, iv restricted it just to dj software and downloading music to my external drive to use. I was considering uploading mixes to YouTube though, and was going to use iMovie to edit them. Is it worth it to continue using this computer just to dj/download music or should I use it for more? What are the risks, and what is the common opinion?
Yogee 5:16 PM - 9 January, 2014
Hey,
not a mac user.. but basics are the same for me ;)

for me, my laptop is the center of my dj software, my music and my work :)
i bought it for work, not to play with or even use social networks ect.
i have my PC at home, a laptop when i'm on vacation and the same laptop again for work ( i.e. djing )

totally worth it, because i know all the time, what i have on my working laptop.
i don't have to look for some hidden software ect.
i have it working... and it keeps working.. and working .. and working...
since the configuration of the laptop and my os never changes and no extra programms are added.

but that's my personal point... works for me.. doesn'T have to work for others:)
phatbob 5:59 PM - 9 January, 2014
I agree wholeheartedly with Yogee.

If you are able to keep a computer dedicated to DJing only, that is preferable, for the reasons outlined above.

However, one option you might want to consider if that's not an option, is dual booting.

Create a partition on your drive, and install a second version of the OS to it.

Then you can boot to that, use it for all other tasks, and keep your DJ OS all nice and clean.

The only problem I see there is that with an Air, I'm guessing you don't have masses of HDD space... And that's another reason you probably want to keep non-DJ stuff on another machine too.
Frenchy 7:40 PM - 9 January, 2014
My question was is there a reason to have a solely DJ computer and are there negative effects of downloading music of editing mixes on it
pdidy 9:16 PM - 9 January, 2014
Quote:
My question was is there a reason to have a solely DJ computer and are there negative effects of downloading music of editing mixes on it

The reality is most of us use our macs for everything with no issue. The dedicated laptop is more a windows pc rule.
pdidy 9:21 PM - 9 January, 2014
And if all your doing is downloading and editing music , thats still a dedicated laptop.
nickbirke 5:22 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The reality is most of us use our macs for everything with no issue. The dedicated laptop is more a windows pc rule.

Someone always has to start the MAC vs PC thing don't they?
pdidy 6:17 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Someone always has to start the MAC vs PC thing don't they?

this is NOT a debate...... it's a known fact directly related to the topic at hand.
nickbirke 6:28 PM - 17 September, 2014
"most of us use our macs for everything with no issue. The dedicated laptop is more a windows pc rule."

Sound to me like "macs never have a problem, but if you using windows you need two computers to do the job"

Anyway I don't really care... I was more interested in threads competing for processor bandwidth.
Pop-I 6:35 PM - 17 September, 2014
ha ha ha If serato was available on Linux i would use that

But there is no point debating PC vs MAC

I have never had a OS X serato install freeze up (unless the external HD looses contact), Windows-install do that if you are not good at keeping your computer clean. But if you know your shit there should be no problem using a windows-pc.

(But there are a lot of crappy PCs out there. So you have to know what you are buying (and stay away from "consumer-laptops").
pdidy 6:39 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
Sound to me like "macs never have a problem, but if you using windows you need two computers to do the job"

sounds to me like you're "making shit up" that was never said.

Quote:
nyway I don't really care... I was more interested in threads competing for processor bandwidth.

Bullshit, if you didnt care we would not be having this convo sir......
nickbirke 7:23 PM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
ha ha ha If serato was available on Linux i would use that

But there is no point debating PC vs MAC

I have never had a OS X serato install freeze up (unless the external HD looses contact), Windows-install do that if you are not good at keeping your computer clean. But if you know your shit there should be no problem using a windows-pc.

(But there are a lot of crappy PCs out there. So you have to know what you are buying (and stay away from "consumer-laptops").

Yah I use and MSI gaming laptop.
deejdave 11:34 PM - 17 September, 2014
What's your buffer set at? How are the waveform's.

Keep in mind there are those that actually HAVE to use Mac's. If you want to have your library SYNCed (Cue points, beat grids, loops, tags etc. as well as crates & playlists) between the three professional DJ apps (Rekordbox, Serato & Traktor) you MUST use Mac as Rekord Buddy (which is an essential part to the process) is only available for Mac. Mix Emergency.............. also ONLY available for Mac. Even with Serato Video itself Syphon support and Quartz Compositions (e.g. I Love QC Content) are only available for Mac users.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE PC's and actually use windows based laptops for just about everything in my life................. except when it comes to my craft. Not trying to start or fuel a debate
ENEV 12:44 AM - 17 December, 2015
Ok so i think the debate over mac and pc can go anyway you want. I have a bricked apple laptop if you wanna debate that there better. Also have a iphone paper weight too. As any real dj knows, if technology can fail it will no matter brand, price, or age. Amps fry lights burn out and yes pc or macs brick. Thats what really makes a GOOD dj. To carry on without the audience realizing that anything had happened. They dont give a shit if your mixing with your ipod or your apple laptop wearing a granny smith for a hat and a stand made out of acers and hps. To each is their own. I like how deejdave put it craft. Thats exactly how it is. Now is it worth it to have a dj only pc? yes! apple or not, wear and tear is going to happend. Again no matter what brand you use. I have 2 cars too. Ones my baby and ones used everyday. Miles are lower on the one i really care about. So if you have your reliable pc keep it reliable the less you beat on it hopefully it lasts longer but remember theres always upgrades new gear better software so eventually your dj only computer will become crap. I have 2 laptops ones for dj only and ones for my studio work and downloads. The dj one yes i broke the bank for and the other one is basic but what ever gets the job done. I like to keep my dj setup only for gigs so theres less to screw around with. Everythings is show ready. The less you have to think about while performing the better.
pdidy 1:58 AM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:
I have a bricked apple laptop if you wanna debate that there better. Also have a iphone paper weight too.

Define/explain in detail the meaning of "bricked" ?
pdidy 2:00 AM - 17 December, 2015
What is the year and model of alleged "bricked apple laptop" and iphone ?
ENEV 3:43 AM - 17 December, 2015
Wow pdidler you seem a little emotional when someone had apple issues. Dont get your panties in a twist. The iphone is 4gs, would you like pics? bricked ie garbage, useless but either way the discussion here was not about apple vs pc. Technology breaks, nothings perfect. I was simply explaining why i use 2 laptops, next should i provide serial numbers to? What kinda car do you drive because we can debate that as well but it doesnt have anything to do with the topic at hand should you have a gig only computer. In my case yes because i like to.
pdidy 4:15 AM - 17 December, 2015
Relax, dont be defensive im asking a serious question that is not related to any mac vs pc debate.

So being that you brought this up can you please explain what the term "bricked" means so that there is no assumptions needed in attempts to understand you.
pdidy 4:26 AM - 17 December, 2015
Quote:
What is the year and model of alleged "bricked apple laptop"
ENEV 2:06 PM - 17 December, 2015
Ok to entertain the audience here i believe i already answered your question but you dont understand. I had a powerbook g4 made around 2001. i used the term bricked meaning it does what a brick does. It does nothing. Its garbage. I understand that bricking is often used in the apple community and can get a little confusing. Windows users have the blue screen of death, apple bricks. Point of all this for apples csi agent is if your going to depend on only one computer for your paying audience then im going to say your reputation will eventually be ruined when it fails. If you implied that your using your first and only mac and it has never had to be repaired then i call bullshit. to bad apple never made condoms. Some people have 99 problems but hey your mac aint one. I never said there products are crap. I bring 2 of everything just in case. thats my opinion.
Logisticalstyles 4:12 PM - 17 December, 2015
I used to feel like my Mac was just for DJing, but after the first year of operating that way I decided that it makes no sense for me to do that. Why spend all of that money on a high end machine and then only use it for one specific task? Since then I've been using my Mac for most of my computing needs at home such as surfing the net, editing videos and movies, making flyers and other projects while occasionally using my PC for some of those tasks.

I've been operating that way since 2011 and I have not had to have that computer repaired or had to reinstall the OS. It's never failed at home or at a gig. It still works perfectly fine even though it's about to be 6 years old.
pdidy 5:12 AM - 18 December, 2015
Quote:
I have a bricked apple laptop if you wanna debate that there better. Also have a iPhone paper weight too.

Ok so let me make sure I got this right.......You allege that you HAVE a Powerbook g4 made around 2001and a iPhone 4gs from 2010 that is no longer operational and this is proof that "technology can fail it will no matter brand".

Are all the facts correct ?

But then you go on to say......

Quote:
I had a powerbook g4 made around 2001.

Had ? As in past tense of no longer having ?

Ok so which version of the story are you going with, do you HAVE it or not ?

Choose wisely Sir :)

And while you're at it, could you please provide some details as to WHY these items are no longer operational without being vague ?
ENEV 10:59 PM - 18 December, 2015
Ok so may i have your credentials please. Since im going to keep repeating myself. Who are you and what do you do? lets throw facts out there cause your a little off on yours. In the north the iphone 4 was released around october November of 2011, not 2010. but ok your the expert in the room. You contradicted yourself in a earlier post on here too but i wont be as literal as you. Bet you think stripppers like you too. You also state its a fact that windows users have a dedicated dj pc. Well its more of a personal preference then fact but ill agree with you cause its easier to smile and nod. Again yes i had/have a g4. past tense i dont use it. Cant use it. Its no longer complete. Ive replaced it. Im over it. You can let it go too. If i need i.t support i know who to talk to. But for fun lets play a game. A little quote here. In computer technology, refurbished refers to "old" or used computer equipment that has been restored to like-new working condition and/or appearance. It may also refer to any computer device that has been sent back to the factory to fix a flaw. Now with that word defined to what applies to our little discussion can you please google refurbished macbook. Any results? Let the room know what you found. So you say im wrong by preparing myself in the event that the technology im using might fail. Im sure B.P Oil had the same assumtion when the 3 fail safes they had in place failed. Lets look at other facts,

Windows has a market share of 91.8% compared to OS X with 7.3% Additionally, some argue that Apple computers have a longer lifespan, which could mean that sales of Apple computers do not accurately reflect their current usage levels compared to Windows computers. However, the market share based on web usage in 2015 is about 91% for Windows compared to 7.4% for OS X.

"Customer complaints & Issues"

—Apple Defects ,
New MacBook Pro 15" user had to deal with 7 replacements within 2 months
Apple suffers just as many defects as many times as other companies do but are given a pass when other companies pay dearly for them. Since it is seen as "cream of the crop" despite not having the best in any category.
—CNET Don Reisinger , Is Apple the Only company that can do no wrong?

So im going to leave this convo at that. Just a few quotes and facts about a operating system in discussion. Its to easy for someone to snuff it off as no you never had any issue. Am i wrong to be prepared for something that will never with stand the test of time or the elements? This whole discussion is a opinion only, even the original person who posted the question wanted opinions. If you say its a fact and really its your opinion doesnt make it a fact. If someone drops your mac or spills something on it, it wont damage or break it? Had at anytime you asked what os i use or if it pertains to this topic? You tell me to choose wisely is this the matrix. Is it blue or red? Get off the pot man you can do what you like in life but while you look deep into the context of what i type do me the favour and correct my grammer and spelling too. The p in pdidy obviously stands for professor. The choice here is up to the individual if you're making money with your craft and can afford to use 2 or more pc's macs or not. Some people spend money to make money. Others might collect welfare checks.
popnwave 11:09 PM - 18 December, 2015
Good lord this is getting silly.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:

I know.....lol

Well I knew this guy was a Nut-Case looking/craving a Mac vs PC debate so I figured i'd poke him with a proverbial stick and sit back and watch Crazy spill out. But I admit dude is crazier than I first thought.

I was sure there was a motive that drove him to dig up this dead an buried thread, It didnt take much to make him crack and show him true objective.

Sorry ENEV, the Mac vs PC debates ended yearrrrrrs ago so you're a lil late to the party bro....lol
popnwave 12:15 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

I know.....lol

Well I knew this guy was a Nut-Case looking/craving a Mac vs PC debate so I figured i'd poke him with a proverbial stick and sit back and watch Crazy spill out. But I admit dude is crazier than I first thought.

I was sure there was a motive that drove him to dig up this dead an buried thread, It didnt take much to make him crack and show him true objective.

Sorry ENEV, the Mac vs PC debates ended yearrrrrrs ago so you're a lil late to the party bro....lol

BUT HIS MARKET RESEARCH SAYS OTHERWISE...
pdidy 12:24 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know.....lol

Well I have no idea what that rant was all about, I was specifically peeling the onion on his mac/iphone issues when he suddenly exploded.
ENEV 1:22 AM - 19 December, 2015
Hey true it is out of hand. I also havent seen any response to prove me wrong. But it does seem others who have spoke there point of views were wrong in the eyes of the expert. They left the discussion. Im stubborn. I like the debate. But still i answered you. Prove me wrong. Im not in the mac vs pc debate they all serve there purpose. Im just quoting facts that have been researched. Pdidy is quoting his fact opinion. But typical. So in other words youve aggreed your the shit disturber in the discussion. Freedom of speech is great.
ENEV 1:44 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know.....lol

Not my market research.
pdidy 2:23 AM - 19 December, 2015
Quote:
But still i answered you. Prove me wrong.

You did not answer my questions so at this point I don't believe you are capable of comprehending what they actually are. Most of your answers are vague and lack detail which allows you room to say "I didnt say or mean that" in case you need to back step. I dont want to make assumptions which is why I ask the same questions but it appears you're either avoiding them or incapable of communicating a direct answer.
ENEV 2:48 AM - 19 December, 2015
Ok my iphone that you imply cant have a issue, backlighting on the screen would not illuminate. Screen was barely visible. Then it would not accept a charge. So i replaced it. The powerbook was operational before a gig. Arrived at said gig. Would not power up/boot. Nothing wasnt responsive. Pluged in and all. I had a back up at the time which is all i was trying to say. Murphys law, im not sure if youve heard of that saying. So i seen this post when i had googled about dj laptops. So i felt the need to add my 2 cents about the importance of being prepared. The crazy comes out when someone keeps impling that im wrong when ive experience it first hand.