Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

DDJ-SP1, Manual midi mapping in SDJ

WarpNote 7:42 AM - 20 December, 2013
Hi Serato & Pioneer.
Thanks for putting out the DDJ-SP1, a very nice companion to the DJM900SRT or SL4.
Its nice to have the consistent workflow carrying over functions from the DDJ-SX :D
(I'm a longtime SSL user, picked up the SX when dropped last year, as I figured SDJ would be the future ahead)

Are there any plans to open the DDJ-SP1 to be manually mapped in SDJ? Unless I missed something in the manual, I can't see any options for this, like I could with my older Denon HC1000S and Novation Dicers in SSL. Disclaimer: its early days for me and the SP1, picked it up less than 24 hrs ago, so if I'm wrong about this, please correct me :D

The reason I want to manually map the SP1 is to have a fail safe .xml ready to go if turntables or CDJ's at the club suddenly decides to crap out. Sadly that happens from time to time, as not all DJs can keep they're drink in the bottle and/or swallow ;-)

So basically, I'd like to remap some buttons/knobs for transport & pitch control.
How about it Serato/Pioneer, any love? Or will I always be bringing yet another controller
(and usb hub) to the club?

Thanks!
Warp
A_Jack 12:09 PM - 21 December, 2013
+100

I bought the DDJ-SP1 also to use with my Rane 61. It's a great controller but I also hope it becomes midi-mappable. It would be great to be able to map the transport and pitch controls on the DDJ-SP1 to use just that and the mixer to play around. This is because setting up turntables takes so much table space that it's not always possible in every place.

So for small gigs or for just trying out something home, mixer + mappable sub-controller would be a nice and flexible combination.
Ale Cirry 5:25 PM - 19 May, 2014
+ 1!
DJ Quartz 1:50 PM - 20 May, 2014
Mine should be arriving today and I'm already thinking about it's usage.

+1
lindsaymar 3:27 AM - 24 November, 2014
How come Serato users get less out of native Serato midi add-on controllers than users of other softwares such as Traktor?
I wish I could get my Dicers working the way people on Traktor have them set up.

Would love the SP1 *if* it had some mapping capabilities... and coloured pads for cue points... and the the loop length displayed on the unit. Then I'd buy it in a heart beat.
deejdave 4:54 AM - 24 November, 2014
The colored pads are a hardware limitation. Can't make Blue LED's light any other color than blue. The loop display.................. again either need an LED lighting up on a scale or a LCD screen of some sort. In short again can't make something show up that isn't there. For the record you know no user whether it be Traktor, Djay, or some home-brew indie app can make these things happen either.

The ONLY thing you mentioned that COULD happen is what was already mentioned in this thread.

Personally I am thinking you are actually hoping for an SP1MKII or maybe even try the Reloop Neon or Akai AFX which BOTH support colored cue points.
lindsaymar 2:41 PM - 24 November, 2014
Sorry Deejdave,
I should have made that more apparent. The Coloured Pads and Loop Display were just things I'd love to see on a MKii version or something. The Midi mappability should be a part of the existing controller.
As far as supplemental controllers go, I the SP1 is the closest to what I want. If it had those 3 extra features I'd consider it close to perfect.
deejdave 3:26 PM - 24 November, 2014
Of course. I agree. The SP1 is still my go to even owning the AFX. Having dedicated performance pads for the two decks is apparently worth more to me than the other features I would not mind an MKII with the features you mentioned at ALL!!
Tripitaka_ 10:53 AM - 6 July, 2015
Did anyone from Pioneer/ Serato ever come back about this? I need to be able to Map some pitch controls to my SP1 also. Didnt dream that we wouldnt be able to map onto a device that has "fully midi mapable" written into its product descriptions and videos
DJ Quartz 7:13 PM - 7 July, 2015
I'm surprised they never came out with a MK2 version of the SP1 or have rgb pads from conception.
deejdave 9:26 PM - 7 July, 2015
I am actually happy it didn't happen so fast. I still believe it will be coming.
Marv Incredible 10:58 PM - 7 July, 2015
Personally, I'm getting tired of the way manufacturers keep holding out on giving us features so they can sell us more units down the line. I totally understand the business model - the savings in retooling alone from modifying an existing design over creating a new model speaks for itself, but as a consumer and a creative producer who just wants to get on and realise the potential that these tools promise us, I find it ...meh.

When the original DDJ-SX was released without DVS compatibility when it was built for software that itself was borne out of a DVS womb was..well..you knew what was coming. And why the SP1 was released with mono-color pads when RGB pads were already around and the software already had coloured cue points is another example.

Yes I went out and bought one anyway and yes I'll buy the SP2 when it inevitably comes out so I guess I'm just as much a part of the problem really, since that's exactly what they're banking on. Literally.
938MyDJ 10:59 PM - 7 July, 2015
It will come... NOT only with colored pads but with pitchfaders and Play/Pause Buttons as well... Hopefully :)
deejdave 11:06 PM - 7 July, 2015
Quote:
It will come... NOT only with colored pads but with pitchfaders and Play/Pause Buttons as well... Hopefully :)

Would be cool but at the risk of negating the need for their main products (CDJ's) I doubt it will happen.
Quote:
the SP1 was released with mono-color pads when RGB pads were already around and the software already had coloured cue points is another example.

The SZ was the first hardware to offer cue point feedback so I don't believe this to be accurate. By this philosophy anything after SSL should have had it too being SSL itself had colored cue points as well. The SX and DVS aspect is a little different as well being it was literally the first hardware for Serato DJ which did not have DVS offered at all. I mean how could they have known they were going to do this?

Don't get me wrong I agree with your main point I just believe these were two bad examples.

BTW not trying to be a negative Nancy around here just as always trying to be realistic. Thinking this would be on par with thinking Vestax will be making a huge comeback sometime soon ;) LOL I had too. Always in good humor!!
Marv Incredible 11:29 PM - 7 July, 2015
Dave it's cool bro. I always like your interaction. You always do it with tact and respect and consideration for others and it encourages healthy and stimulating debate - unlike some of the trolling and unconstructive commentary you often see on forums.

As always, you make good points, but I'm unswayed. The VCI 380 was out long before the SX or the SZ and even if you take the position that it wasn't possible to develop it with full rgb pads at the time, other manufacturers had the example and the available technology, so I don't buy that they couldn't have done that with the SX (or the SP1).

And again with the DVS. Serato DJ may not have been ready for DVS when the SX was ready to ship but you can't tell me they (Serato and Pioneer) didn't know it'd be coming down the line very soon. I'd have a hard time believing it wasn't already in the works even by that stage.

Like I said, it all makes perfect sense from a business (or quick-buck) perspective and as a business owner and investor, I totally get it. But as a consumer, I invest in these products to help me with my own business and I just wish the deal was a little more two-sided at times.
deejdave 12:09 AM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
The VCI 380 was out long before the SX or the SZ and even if you take the position that it wasn't possible to develop it with full rgb pads at the time, other manufacturers had the example and the available technology, so I don't buy that they couldn't have done that with the SX (or the SP1).

You bring up a good point but even the 380 isn't perfectly in tune with SDJ's colors as it wsa not designed for it. I would say they did as good of an implementation as anyone could expect but I never will know why they did include it. I've always said Vestax as a company offered much higher quality gear than they charged for. A buyers dream and a company's worst nightmare. Excellent point though and I see where you are coming from. The fact remains though this would have never been an issue if SDJ did not bring RGB pad support to fruition. This in no way would have made the big picture any better so I don't know.
Quote:
And again with the DVS. Serato DJ may not have been ready for DVS when the SX was ready to ship but you can't tell me they (Serato and Pioneer) didn't know it'd be coming down the line very soon. I'd have a hard time believing it wasn't already in the works even by that stage.

Maybe, maybe not. Just think of this though. With DVS capabilities built in Pioneer would be charging accordingly yet SDJ would not even support it. Would Serato even allow there first SDJ controller ever to offer features that were not even supported yet. I mean how many questions/eye brows would this raise. If nothing else you have to admit the amount and tone of posts regarding DVS & RGB pads that didn't even function with the software it was bundled with would be off the wall.

Let us now bring in a VERY real aspect that is most likely the largest factor here. What if Pioneer sells given hardware with said capabilities and Serato comes to find out they are going in a different direction or even worse that it simply will not work out? Ask any Vestax owner waiting for DVS or any Numark NS7II owner waiting for DVS (BOTH possible yet neither offering it and probably never will) how they feel about the fact their hardware is technically "capable" yet not able to with SDJ.....................

Don't get me wrong I say yeah give me everything NOW but then again let's say you now buy tomorrows great Pioneer controller and it now has six buttons three knobs and some input connections on the back that literally do nothing (yet) but they will someday............................ I guarantee when that day comes you will be happy as can be but how do you feel until that day LOL. Kind of funny when you think about it.

I completely understand where you are coming from though for what it's worth.
deejdave 12:13 AM - 8 July, 2015
Again excellent point on the RGB pads though and I may even agree that they could have included this at the very least. The DVS especially hits a little close to home though and I think Serato has learned their lesson. If anything Pioneer has. You don't see anyone slamming Pioneer (for this at least LOL) the way they do Numark for fibbing (to put it lightly) about DVS support coming early 2015. That ship has sailed!!!! LOL. Vestax's situation just drives this lesson home.
Marv Incredible 12:46 AM - 8 July, 2015
Dude, just to back up your point, I remember when the SX was first unveiled at BPM in 2012 (IIRC), no one could actually use the unit because Serato were late in shipping the software so to imagine Pioneer holding off for another six months while DVS was bolted on was never gonna happen! lol

i just naturally assumed that it was coming though and certainly (if prematurely) expected it to work like that off the bat.
deejdave 1:28 AM - 8 July, 2015
Yeah it was pretty obvious. TBH I was getting an itch about a week ago thinking Pio is about due for new products announcement. Good or bad you know its coming!!! LOL.
938MyDJ 5:23 AM - 8 July, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Would be cool but at the risk of negating the need for their main products (CDJ's) I doubt it will happen.

I am looking more on Serato DJ, Pio-Mixer, and SP1... platterless-combo, lol.

Currently, I need at least to add an F1 to make this happen. If I have to do that, I might as well bring an SX2/SZ.

That's a good response to Akai AMX/AFX or NI D2 being an all in one.
Oh, might as well add strip search and nudge buttons.

It's just a wishful thinking... 😀
a.drescher 9:40 PM - 30 May, 2016
Für offizielle Add-Ons wie den Pioneer DDJ-SP1 oder den Xone:K1, die normalerweise nicht umgemappt werden können, gibt es einen kleinen Trick, mit dem ihr das vom Hersteller diktierte Preset über Bord werft und komplett neu konfiguriert. Dazu benennt ihr in der Applikation MIDI-Studio (nur bei Apple Mac) euer MIDI-Gerät einfach um. Es wird dann nicht mehr als Official Serato Accessoire behandelt, sondern als generischer MIDI-Controller. Wichtig ist hierbei, den ursprünglichen Namen zu notieren, falls man wieder zum originalen Mapping zurück möchte.
a.drescher 9:42 PM - 30 May, 2016
Luis213 9:23 PM - 11 February, 2017
By any chance do you guys know if I can connect a pioneer sp1 to my pioneer ddj sz
Pls let me know thanks in advance
deejdave 4:07 AM - 12 February, 2017
Can't connect TO the DDJ-SZ but you CAN have both connected to the same laptop at the same time and have all functions work.
Mr Wilks 5:57 PM - 12 February, 2017
SP1 remap?

Yes. Yes. Yes.
djskeelo 7:29 AM - 5 March, 2017
deejdave thank you so much men but can you help me out what do i need to do to make it work?
deejdave 12:35 AM - 7 March, 2017
Just plug both in and make sure you have all necessary drivers if applicable.