Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

AAC Files: File Requires Quicktime or Unsupported File Format

DJ Fall Line 4:37 PM - 6 December, 2013
Hello!

I recently upgraded my computer from a very old MacBookPro to a brand new Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1. I have been a longtime user of Serato DJ Intro, but have recently run into some huge issues. I was planning on upgrading to the full version with video, but before I do I would really like to get this problem resolved.

On my mac I had no problems playing AAC files with Serato. I successfully transferred my iTunes library over to the PC, but when I try to load AAC files I get error messages. The first is "File requires Quicktime to be installed" and the second is "Unsupported file format." I have Quicktime installed (the most recent free version), and since i have over 7000 songs in AAC format it would be great to get this figured out.

What's going on? AAC files have never given me any trouble before. I have been on the forums, and have seen other people with this problem. I didn't find a solid solution though.

Thank you so much! Any help (that works) ASAP would be great!

If I buy the full version will that solve the problem?

NOTE: I did have this question posted earlier, but it was in the wrong forum. Still looking for answers. Thanks!
Mr Wilks 5:34 PM - 6 December, 2013
I'd double check that Quicktime is properly installed as it does seem like the AAC decoder isn't being seen.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime, reboot and check if DJ responds to that?
DJ Fall Line 11:52 PM - 6 December, 2013
Quote:
I'd double check that Quicktime is properly installed as it does seem like the AAC decoder isn't being seen.

Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling Quicktime, reboot and check if DJ responds to that?

I wish... I have tried that lots of times. Do I need the full version of quicktime?
Mr Wilks 4:20 AM - 7 December, 2013
You shouldn't, no.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'll have a dig about.
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:15 PM - 7 December, 2013
if you use itunes only try this...

install quicktime.

then look for the _Serato_ folder in your music folder and on any external harddrives or partitions. and rename it to _Serato_OLD Once you have done this reopen SDJ now if should scan all your tags and hopefully now all your files play fine.

Quote:

Hello!

I recently upgraded my computer from a very old MacBookPro to a brand new Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1. I have been a longtime user of Serato DJ Intro, but have recently run into some huge issues. I was planning on upgrading to the full version with video,

From a mac to a pc and going tobe using Video...... uh ow
DJ Fall Line 7:49 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:

install quicktime.

then look for the _Serato_ folder in your music folder and on any external harddrives or partitions. and rename it to _Serato_OLD Once you have done this reopen SDJ now if should scan all your tags and hopefully now all your files play fine.

Quote:
Hello!

I recently upgraded my computer from a very old MacBookPro to a brand new Sony Vaio running Windows 8.1. I have been a longtime user of Serato DJ Intro, but have recently run into some huge issues. I was planning on upgrading to the full version with video,

I just tried this... No luck >:( Thanks for the tip though! Seems like something that would work. I do use iTunes to organize my music.

And for the record, the main reason I moved to pc is for school work.
DJ Fall Line 7:49 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
You shouldn't, no.

I'm not sure what the problem could be. I'll have a dig about.

Alright, thanks! If you figure it out or think of anything let me know!
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:14 PM - 9 December, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

install quicktime.

Quote:
Hello!

I just tried this... No luck >:( Thanks for the tip though! Seems like something that would work. I do use iTunes to organize my music.

And for the record, the main reason I moved to pc is for school work.

Not sure the. As installing quicktime will make those files playable and making a new _Serato_ database clears the error on the tracks.

Not sure what the issue could be if this didnt work.
DJ Fall Line 4:58 AM - 20 January, 2014
Hey! I am still working on trying to get this issue resolved. Does anyone know of a solution that works or when one will be available?

Also, When will video be released for Windows 8?? This is very important to be as I HATE Virtual DJ with a passion (although its video features are decent enough), and it is my only option right now >:(
pueblofunky 4:53 PM - 20 January, 2014
Which Windows 8.1 is installed 32-bit or 64-bit?

I have Windows 8, 64-bit.

I have installed QuickTime 7.7.4 (normal free version) (as far as I can remember there is only a 32-bit version - but it runs on 64-bit without any problems!).

Just tested it for you with Serato Scratch Live 2.5 and imported a .m4a file - a lossless and a 256kbps ... and both play without any problems.
DJ Fall Line 7:58 PM - 24 January, 2014
Quote:
Which Windows 8.1 is installed 32-bit or 64-bit?

I have Windows 8, 64-bit.

I have installed QuickTime 7.7.4 (normal free version) (as far as I can remember there is only a 32-bit version - but it runs on 64-bit without any problems!).

Just tested it for you with Serato Scratch Live 2.5 and imported a .m4a file - a lossless and a 256kbps ... and both play without any problems.

See, I have 64bit too, and have 7.7.4 installed... but it just doesn't work at all! I am not using Scratch Life though, I am using the latest version of Serato DJ.
JunKSter 11:43 PM - 12 February, 2014
Serato DJ needs to be installed AFTER QuickTime. I uninstalled Serato DJ and reinstalled it and now it reads the mp4 files.
2Fredd 2:26 PM - 14 February, 2014
Hi, i'm french, sorry for my english ....
i've the same error. With Win 7 64 , First i had problems with Itunes and runtime C++.
I uninstalled Itunes, i deleted itunes dll and installed the last version 11.1.4
After that, itunes was ok, i installed Quick time.
Opened Serato and wtf .... , all m4a files had yellow triangle. Before the latest version of itunes, every files worked on serato (mp3, m4a, Itunes lossless ..).
I don't want to convert all of my music on 320kps. I don't think it's a DRM problem
Dj Fall line .. you are not alone ... ;-)
i uninstalled/installed serato DJ of course, always the same error ...
2Fredd 11:47 AM - 15 February, 2014
I have found the solution ... let me lunch and after i give my fix
Rcrandall 5:52 AM - 31 May, 2014
So did anyone get the solution to this problem.
dj_torres 10:57 PM - 5 July, 2014
Having the same problem. Switched computers and installed SDJ. SDJ would not read m4a (iTunes files) - "yellow triangles". I play music from my x drive. installed Quicktime and same. However, I placed a few m4a files on my x drive and those play just fine. Can anyone please help? I would really not want to resave all of the files to my hard drive again. PLEASE HELP..
Karayo 8:07 PM - 26 March, 2015
I do not understand why Serato does not give an official Fix to that ??
caliguy 4:41 PM - 14 August, 2015
IM SICK AND TIRED OF THIS ISSUE AND SERATO DOING NOTHING!

A few years back I had this issue on a PC running Windows 7.

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, re-reinstalling, re-booting, re-rebooting, Serato DJ and Quicktime almost 1000 times. I even installed a Quicktime registry key software from Serato to force Quicktime as the default video player.

Now I have a Windows 10 PC with Serato DJ 1.7.7 and Quictime 7.7 and Serato still hasnt fixed this.

Previously I posted in another help topic regarding video not working with Serato claiming Quicktime was not installed. Today I want to play .AAC music files and that stupid message says Quicktime is not installed.

NO VIDEO NO AAC MUSIC FILES, WHAT THE HELL.
WHY HASNT THIS BEEN FIXED ALREADY!!!
caliguy 5:47 PM - 15 August, 2015
THIS IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME BEFORE AND AGAIN TODAY:

I used a registry script from Serato to use Quicktime as the default video codec.
You can go back to the default codec using another Serato script.

1) I went to the Serato page below and clicked on the link "Force Quicktime Registry Script".
I downloaded the script. After it downloaded, I double clicked on it to run the script.

2) Then I uninstalled Quicktime.

3) Next I uninstalled Serato.

4) I Restarted (rebooted) Windows.

5) When my PC rebooted I Installed Quicktime 7.7 (downloaded direct from apple).

6) Lastly I installed Serato. AAC files and Serato Video work again.

This is the page:
serato.com

This is the link:
serato.com

GOOD LUCK. I DONT KNOW WHY SERATO HASNT FIXED THIS PERMANENTLY!
caliguy 10:37 PM - 11 December, 2015
I AM BEYOND FRUSTRATED WITH SERATO AND AAC FILES.

For a while my Mac with bootcamp was able to read and play AAC files while using the Mac OS.

Now I buy a new Macbook Air running Yosemite and Serato REFUSES to play AAC files.

The AAC files play perfectly well on the Macbook Air by Quicktime but will not play in Serato!

What the hell is going on with Serato and AAC files!

Someone from Serato please respond and fix this once and for all.
popnwave 10:45 PM - 11 December, 2015
Sounds like a settings issue. On 3 diff macbooks I've never had an issue playing AAC stuff on OS X.
caliguy 10:48 PM - 11 December, 2015
What setting would that be? I think I pretty much exhausted all options.
popnwave 10:56 PM - 11 December, 2015
Quote:
What setting would that be? I think I pretty much exhausted all options.

Wait... I am rereading some of your posts: why does it even matter if your Mac runs bootcamp? If you're on a MacBook (Pro) as long as you are booting in to OS X you shouldn't have to do anything.

Are you booting into Windows and then trying to use Serato there? If so, why in the hell would you do that?
caliguy 11:14 PM - 11 December, 2015
As my post says:

I brought a brand new Macbook Air.

The AAC files played fine in my old MacBook Pro in Serato while on MAC OS.

Now that I tried the new Mac Air (NO BOOTCAMP) the AAC files wont play. They play just fine on the Mac Air but when I open Serato they will not play in Serato.
popnwave 11:45 PM - 11 December, 2015
What else are you running on it? Audio editing software? Any ripping programs or encoders that might hijack associations.. When you click on an AAC file does iTunes load up?

I haven't had QT standalone installed on any of my MacBook Pros since 2012 or so. Serato is just pulling from system defaults, so somewhere along the road you mangled something so it's not working properly.
caliguy 11:54 PM - 11 December, 2015
Yeah its all my fault just like its the fault of many other members who are having this issue and have been basically ignored by Serato.

The Macbook is brand new.
When I click on the AAC file outside of Serato it is automatically played by Quicktime 10.

When I try to play the same song on Serato it wont load.
When I click on the yellow triangle that appears next to the track there is no information displayed on the bottom of the Serato information bar.
Usually if the file is corrupt there will be a message on the information bar at the bottom of Serato letting you know the issue.
In this case there is no info, just yellow triangles.
popnwave 12:01 AM - 12 December, 2015
Well this thread was over a year old before you posted to it, so obviously the problem isn't that pervasive.

IMHO, you should do a clean OS install and DO NOT for any reason load QuickTime 10 separately. You should be able to boot up a fresh machine, install SDJ and either play with the offline player or your controller with no additional software installed.

Anything else you put on there before verifying it works is just gumming up the process.
caliguy 12:27 AM - 12 December, 2015
@popnwave

I welcome and appreciate your help but if you are going to help, please do so without passing judgement otherwise it negates your good intentions.

Thank you, I'll wait for someone from Serato to respond.
popnwave 12:31 AM - 12 December, 2015
Quote:
@popnwave

I welcome and appreciate your help but if you are going to help, please do so without passing judgement otherwise it negates your good intentions.

Thank you, I'll wait for someone from Serato to respond.

I am not passing judgement, just telling you that out of the box all you need is SDJ and your controller. iTunes should be the default player for your media (unless you hit the spacebar and preview the track in Finder) and if something else is loaded you've got an association issue.

Finally, you're better off submitting a ticket to refresh the issue rather than going back to old posts. The old fixes you posted about in August apply to Windows ONLY (ie QuickTime playback), so if you're trying to force that in OS X that's probably what broke it.

Start with a clean slate and see what happens, keep it simple.
caliguy 12:44 AM - 12 December, 2015
I have searched the forums for yellow triangles and there are quite a few people having this same issue. I thought it would be better to post here since my issue mught somehow be related to my previous experinces with other computers.

I will look into what you are saying.

Thank you for your help.
DJ Baby Boy 5:32 AM - 14 December, 2015
Quote:
I have searched the forums for yellow triangles and there are quite a few people having this same issue. I thought it would be better to post here since my issue mught somehow be related to my previous experinces with other computers.

I will look into what you are saying.

Thank you for your help.

If you're getting yellow triangles that means that the files are NOT supported in Serato now you if you're having a problem with your AAC files this could be due to the mishap with itunes and apple music where it replaced some peoples music with protected version of the file instead of the original MP3 or AAC and this would be the reason that they're not working ... Verify that they are in fact NOT protected as this could be the whole issue ... If they're not protected and you're still having the issue upload one of the files with a known issue so others can test on their machines as well to help narrow it down to being a problem with the file or your machine specifically but as popnwave said you DO NOT need anything else after a clean install to run SDJ with Supported file types right out of the gate
caliguy 6:40 PM - 29 March, 2016
I somewhat solved part of this problem but I dont think Ill ever solve the entire problem.

1) YES my files are supported.
2) NO I do not use , nor do i have iTunes installed.

My music files are on an external thumb drive.

When I tried to play these AAC files on Serato on a MAC computer running on Windows (Bootcamp), stupid Serato marked them with yellow triangles. When I tried using these files on a 2nd MAC without Bootcamp (no Windows OS) the files would not play since Serato marked them with yellow triangles.

THE TEMPORARY SOLUTION:
Serato has libraby back up folders on your computer and if you use an external drive it also makes these folders on that external drive.
I WAS VERY CAREFUL NOT TO MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THESE FOLDERS ON MY THUMB DRIVE SINCE THAT CONTAINS MY CRATES AND LIBRARY INFORMATION!

However, the two back up folders on Serato on my 2nd MAC I went ahead and deleted. When you delete these two folders inside the Serato program Serato will automatically build new folders upon startup. When I re-started Serato on the 2nd MAC and then connnected my external thumb drive...BAM all my files worked fine, no more yello triangles!

I guess if you use an external music drive, like I do, and Serato marks your files with yellow triangles then your music files wont work regardless of whatever computer you use!

UNSOLVED ISSUE:
The issue of why Serato would not play these AAC files on my 1st MAC running on Windows Bootcamp and why after Serato marked these files with yellow triangles they would no longer play on another computer is still a mystery!

Believe me, I have tried everything that has been recommended, and nothing worked. I gave up trying to play Serato Video on a Windows based MAC for that reason.

Bottom line, Serato has failed to address Quicktime and Windows compatability issues and they have TOTALY IGNORED THIS FOR YEARS NOW! Fixing this problem is NOT a priority for Serato.

My advice to anyone reading this is, dont hold your breathe on Serato fixing this, just use a MAC if your going to use Video and any Quicktime related files such as AAC files, and dont run Serato on Bootcamp on a MAC with Windows Bootcamp!
Carazza 3:59 PM - 16 August, 2017
I have solved the issue for me. I have a Win 10 PC and a Win 8.1 Laptop.

On the laptop everything works fine. I have only m4a files in my libarary.
But on the Win 10 PC 80% are shown with yellow triangles.

The newest version of Quicktime and iTunes are installed.

My library and iTunes is placed on hard drive D:/

On D:/ i have deleted the Serato temporary folder ( _Serato_ ). Restart Serato... no yellow triangles.

Maybe it works for you too.

Sorry for my english.