Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

Serato on mac vs pc ?

Chuck Taylor 5:48 AM - 19 August, 2013
Hi Guys

My MacBook just crashed and cannot be repaired as is to old (told by apple)

I have had it with no dramas for 7 years and only used for Djing/ serato

MY question is do u guys think I should buy another mac for serato

or is a laptop pc .... for sarato??? what you guys think ??

why is mac better? why is pc better? for serato
pdidy 5:51 PM - 22 August, 2013
I'll put it like this,(Djing/ serato only) I've never seen a mac user even consider going back to pc unless they were just broke or unable to afford a mac and too embarrassed to admit it.....

btw, you been here since 2007 so you know dam well which one is better....lol
Chuck Taylor 1:18 PM - 23 August, 2013
hey buddy I agree macs are good besides a few issues

just asking because I have seen a fair few Djs using pcs lately + I on the hunt for a new computer waited to check if I am missing something with pcs as like I said I have seen a fair few DJ using pcs lately

had 2 see what s up

thanks
DJRemixEnt 7:26 AM - 24 August, 2013
if you are only running Scratch Live, then a modern PC will be more than enough... but if you plan on doing video or anything graphics intensive... then Mac is your safest guarantee to work with minimal problems.
Chuck Taylor 11:50 AM - 24 August, 2013
thanks all
silvercue 8:22 AM - 4 September, 2013
PCs are fine if they are decent. Cheap Windows Laptops are rubbish. If you have a decent PC or Intel based laptop they are fine from my experience.

I would like to get a Macbook Pro too, but they are soooo expensive (in the UK anyway).

Also a bit concerned that I won;t be able to use Serato DJ on that and my PC.....
silvercue 8:23 AM - 4 September, 2013
should have mentioned though that I build my own PCs and know every thing that is running, including background and they are meticulously maintained.....maybe that makes a the difference.
clearblu 1:00 PM - 4 September, 2013
A well set up (with someone who knows about Windows) is a smooth stable performer and people need to remember Mac and pc share the same hardware.Mac's work better 'out of the box' this is just because Apple doesn't support third party software/driver's/devolopers.This is the reason I won't buy into Apple's idea.ITunes is quite possibly the worst piece of audio management software out there (on a pc) and your commiting professional suicide using it instead of Serato's crate structure.I'll openly admit a Mac will outperform a pc without tweaking but against a well set up pc-no as Windows is ultimately more customizable. Top end Sony,Asus and the ultra reliable HP are your best bets.
Chuck Taylor 10:22 AM - 8 September, 2013
hey guys the only down side to macs I find is no matter how much u spend on them 2k + or above in my case all worked well with serato scratch live no dramas there

but after about 2 years and even after doing all updates I found that itunes 10.4 I think it was..... was no longer supported buy the tiger OS That came with my mac at the time

That's bad coz I stored all my serato music and dj stuff in itues

so had to upgrade to snow leopard +$80 but all was good again and mac lasted 7 years before passing out lol

just some info for those interested

I have had major hardware issues with my pc 2 years old even though I paid $2700 its still junk fixed at least 3 times and still issues

no issues with mac besides software in 7 years it just died one day

hope that helps someone out there in your choice between mac or pc for dj

good luck
RedHebi 10:41 AM - 2 February, 2014
You dont think mac and serato have a partnership of some kind do you? Just a thought. Ive been an edm dj since 2001 and have always had my computers custom built. I have to say if you build custom it makes mac and others feel like outdated dinosaurs. Its also cheaper depending on what you build and you get more quality and stability.
RedHebi 10:45 AM - 2 February, 2014
Quote:
You dont think mac and serato have a partnership of some kind do you? Just a thought. Ive been an edm dj since 2001 and have always had my computers custom built. I have to say if you build custom it makes mac and others feel like outdated dinosaurs. Its also cheaper depending on what you build and you get more quality and stability.

Yep apple is a partner so of course they are going to recommend them over others. And some people will foolishly fall for it. I believe personally out of the box it depends on what your preference is. Both are equal.
silvercue 5:56 PM - 3 February, 2014
now running with a macbook pro 8GB ram and it runs flawlessly. runs well on my main win7 pc too, but shockingly bad on my win7 work laptop...
Felonyruckus 4:44 AM - 11 March, 2014
Chuck Taylor...you are answering your own question.

Serato was developed ON a mac and so its just being made to work with as best as possible with Windows, or trying to make it be usable.

I ALWAYS say if I'm eating at a restaurant, I want to eat where the chef is fat because I know it will be good and he's making the food, he's not buying the food somewhere else and bringing in somebody else's cooking.
DJ J Money 7:28 PM - 18 November, 2014
Hi Guys I am facing the same choice MAC or PC. I plan to DJ at House Parties mainly. I will do small functoons also. Eventually I would like to play in Clubs but that not bd right away. I also plan on running Serato DJ. I would also like to get some advice on DJing with a IPAD AIR 2.

Is anyone looking to go down this road and if so I would likd to hear some thoughts and feedback.
pdidy 10:28 PM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:
Hi Guys I am facing the same choice MAC or PC. I plan to DJ at House Parties mainly. I will do small functoons also. Eventually I would like to play in Clubs but that not bd right away. I also plan on running Serato DJ. I would also like to get some advice on DJing with a IPAD AIR 2.

Is anyone looking to go down this road and if so I would likd to hear some thoughts and feedback.

Macbook pro store.apple.com & djay 2 for ipad Watchwww.youtube.com