Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

New Twitter Quartz Layout (and it works with v1.1) !!!!

Dokumentary 12:12 AM - 18 June, 2013
I made a few new layouts in Quartz Composer using the original QC's made by @DJSupafly and @DJXplicit. I followed the directions by @dj_funkyt here www.inklen.com to update the feed per Twitter's new API v1.1.
Feel free to DL and use this QC. I will make some more and post them here and also on the ME forum. This has always been an open source project and I'm excited to be a part of it. Please don't sell these and please give credit when you share them. If you see anyone trying to profit from these quartzes, please remind them that many people have put in a lot of time and effort to make these available. All I did was manipulate the compositions and follow DJ Funky T's directions. Additional credit goes to: Nick from Inklen @Inklen, @vjbabylove, & @DJDaveOtt.
Download here. www.dropbox.com
Don't forget to DL the files you need from DJ Funky T's post.
Dokumentary 12:14 AM - 18 June, 2013
The quartz is 16:9 aspect ratio and it displays perfectly in Mixemergency. Although it may not be perfect, it seems to work just fine. I don't know about VSL. I've never tried it. If anyone wants to clean it up, feel free to change whatever you like.
bboysupafly 12:37 AM - 18 June, 2013
sweet!
Dj Nyce 12:52 AM - 18 June, 2013
i was actually working on this today. there are alot of limitations w/in qc to work with oauth and json. this is a interesting way to implement this.
Dj Nyce 12:55 AM - 18 June, 2013
also you don't want to be passing around your consumer and access token secrets in plain text. not that i think that anybody on here would be malicious with it. but with all that info one could post tweets, send dm's etc.
Dokumentary 1:32 AM - 18 June, 2013
Doesn't look like the keys are in the quartz so you won't be making them public by using this. I don't know if the keys in the "Twitter v1.1 fix" folder actually belong to the OP (DJ Funky T) but they're meant to be edited and then uploaded to your website or some type of web host.
DJCrank 1:58 AM - 18 June, 2013
Just when I got my last one working right, they update it....Grrrrrr I had someone make the last one so i am not up on the whole QC lingo...lol
DJPunzo 3:00 AM - 18 June, 2013
I got DJ_Supaflys first one to work if anyone wants that link. Still have to use your own rss feed on your website.

Some tips for this so you dont go over your api limit.

Once you have the feed up keep it up because everytime you close it out it counts as a refresh.

You only get 15 refreshes every 15 minutes. so setting the code to refresh the feed every 60 seconds should work just find. Also make sure your the only one who has this feed url.

If anyone wants the link to the old twitter app let me know
DJPunzo 3:08 AM - 18 June, 2013
Heres a screen shot
www.djpunzo.com
Dokumentary 4:04 AM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
I got DJ_Supaflys first one to work if anyone wants that link. Still have to use your own rss feed on your website.

Some tips for this so you dont go over your api limit.

Once you have the feed up keep it up because everytime you close it out it counts as a refresh.

You only get 15 refreshes every 15 minutes. so setting the code to refresh the feed every 60 seconds should work just find. Also make sure your the only one who has this feed url.

If anyone wants the link to the old twitter app let me know

That's awesome! can you post the updated quartz so we can DL? I just made another one (layout) so I'll post it soon. Hopefully we can make this thread about new and different style quartzes and keep the project thriving! Last week we all kinda though it was dead.
Dokumentary 4:14 AM - 18 June, 2013
I plan on using a few different ones throughout the night now that I've made a few different layouts. Would it be smarter to set longer refresh times so I can switch them out? like 90 seconds, or 120?
DJPunzo 4:34 AM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
I plan on using a few different ones throughout the night now that I've made a few different layouts. Would it be smarter to set longer refresh times so I can switch them out? like 90 seconds, or 120?

Yes, I will upload as soon as I get home.

Right now I have mine set to 60sec feed refresh and its working great. 90seconds wont hurt. Its acutally better so you have your crowd staring at the screens waiting for their message to pop up. Lol

I read online that its 15 refreshes every 15 minutes. So we should be good.

Now we have to figure out how to do the twitter search api. Ive been trying but All i get is errors
DJPunzo 6:18 AM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:

Smart thing to do is before you are ready to switch your layout is count 15 minutes before you do. Not sure if this will be accurate though. (Stupid Twitter) lol
DJPunzo 6:34 AM - 18 June, 2013
This is using DJFunkyT & DJ Supafly codes & layout. I did not create this I just edited it to make it work again using the server way for your rss feed.

www.dropbox.com

I switched the background and switched it around a little. Made the Font Impact also.
Dokumentary 6:44 AM - 18 June, 2013
Yeah, I've set them to refresh every 90 seconds so that should give me 10 "pings" per 15 mins. Considering it will refresh or ping when I close the first one and then again when I open the next one that would be 12. So it's cutting it close. I usually do a spinning logo in the corner or a quarts video overlay between Twitter quartzes though so it should be fine. I made a video to show my 2 new overlays. You can get an idea of what I mean by "video overlay" in the video. Watchwww.youtube.com
I'll post the second one here in a few mins. Although I'm not too stoked on it.
Dokumentary 6:45 AM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
This is using DJFunkyT & DJ Supafly codes & layout. I did not create this I just edited it to make it work again using the server way for your rss feed.

www.dropbox.com

I switched the background and switched it around a little. Made the Font Impact also.

Thanks for the DL. What Chickie & Pete's do you spin at?
Dokumentary 7:08 AM - 18 June, 2013
Here's my 2nd Twitter quartz. www.dropbox.com
Just open in QC > double click "Twitter Live Feed For ME" > click on "WWW Address" and open patch inspector. Enter your own RSS feed and save the quartz. That's it. More on the way...
Funky T 9:27 AM - 18 June, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with how to edit the dimensions and position for the twitter text (the content of the tweets) in the quartz composition.

Can someone point me in the direction of the 'boxes' and 'variables' that I should be looking at in the qtz file?
Funky T 11:29 AM - 18 June, 2013
I have updated my Quartz Composition with 2 changes:

1) Removed the [bracketed name] in the tweet (it's redundant cos we already display the name next to the tweeter's picture)
2) Added a way to filter swear words.

This new composition is updated in my package at:
www.djfunkyt.com

It's an additional file in the twitter folder. The file name is:
DJ Funky T (Twitter 43) Template v02 (with language filter).qtz

Instructions on how to add your own swear word filters (you need Quartz Composer):
1) Open up the qtz file in Quartz Composer
2) Double click on the box titled 'Twitter Live Feed for ME'
3) Double click on the box titled 'Tweet'
4) Double click on the box titled 'Render in Image'
5) You will see a note there which I posted, where a 'String Replace' box is implemented. What this box does is to search for instances of the word 'fuck' in a tweet, and replace it with the word 'fish', when displaying it.
6) You can change the word that you want to search for, and the word that you wish to replace with, by:
a) Clicking ONCE on the 'String Replace' box,
b) Clicking on the 'Parameters' button
c) Replacing the 'Search String' and 'Replace String' in the parameters box.

If you want to add more words to replace,
8) Click on the 'Patch Library' button
9) Locate the 'String Replace' function.
10) Drag the 'String Replace' function into the project
11) Fill up the 'Search String' and 'Replace String' parameters for this new box.
12) Connect the input and outputs of this box as part of the program chain.
eg. String Replace --> String Replace (new) --> String Truncate

Let me know if you encounter any problems or if anything is not clear.
Funky T 12:26 PM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
also you don't want to be passing around your consumer and access token secrets in plain text. not that i think that anybody on here would be malicious with it. but with all that info one could post tweets, send dm's etc.

Thanks for the reminder, I have updated the keys text to dummy values.
nik39 12:39 PM - 18 June, 2013
Nice! Thanks to everyone who put work into this :)

Quote:
This has always been an open source project and I'm excited to be a part of it. Please don't sell these and please give credit when you share them. If you see anyone trying to profit from these quartzes, please remind them that many people have put in a lot of time and effort to make these available.

+1
Dokumentary 10:06 PM - 18 June, 2013
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm not too familiar with how to edit the dimensions and position for the twitter text (the content of the tweets) in the quartz composition.

Can someone point me in the direction of the 'boxes' and 'variables' that I should be looking at in the qtz file?

The update looks good. I Haven't had time to mess around with it yet but I made some notes for you in the quartz so you can manipulate the dimensions and position of the tweet text. Everything is basically in the same patch as the word filter that you added.
DL Link www.dropbox.com
Dokumentary 10:15 PM - 18 June, 2013
Here's a quick look at some of the ones I made last night. The green and grey one (1st one) looks kinda tight but I don't know how to get the text to not scroll from the bottom. Would be nice to have it scroll fully within the box itself. The 2nd one violates just about every design rule in the book. Plus it doesn't really represent anything about music or DJ'ing but it'll be great if you're DJ'ing at a kindergarten graduation. haha...
I'll post the files after I update them wth DJ Funky T's new quartzes.
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dokumentary 10:24 PM - 18 June, 2013
Oops.. Looks like the kindergarten one is the last one displayed in the video. It's quickly becoming my favorite one so far.
Dokumentary 1:28 AM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:
I have updated my Quartz Composition with 2 changes:

1) Removed the [bracketed name] in the tweet (it's redundant cos we already display the name next to the tweeter's picture)
2) Added a way to filter swear words.

This new composition is updated in my package at:
www.djfunkyt.com

It's an additional file in the twitter folder. The file name is:
DJ Funky T (Twitter 43) Template v02 (with language filter).qtz

Instructions on how to add your own swear word filters (you need Quartz Composer):
5) You will see a note there which I posted, where a 'String Replace' box is implemented. What this box does is to search for instances of the word 'fuck' in a tweet, and replace it with the word 'fish', when displaying it.
6) You can change the word that you want to search for, and the word that you wish to replace with, by:
a) Clicking ONCE on the 'String Replace' box,
b) Clicking on the 'Parameters' button
c) Replacing the 'Search String' and 'Replace String' in the parameters box.

If you want to add more words to replace,
8) Click on the 'Patch Library' button
9) Locate the 'String Replace' function.
10) Drag the 'String Replace' function into the project
11) Fill up the 'Search String' and 'Replace String' parameters for this new box.
12) Connect the input and outputs of this box as part of the program chain.
eg. String Replace --> String Replace (new) --> String Truncate

Let me know if you encounter any problems or if anything is not clear.

Hey, can you get it to display the "@" before the author? And maybe make a note that shows how to toggle it on/off?
Dokumentary 1:41 AM - 19 June, 2013
Also, do you know how to turn off the scroll?
phil F 1:51 AM - 19 June, 2013
hey Dokumentary,

I sent you a tweet (@videoshowdj) about your overlays, interested in some guidence on how to make mine look smoother if at all possible
Dokumentary 2:51 AM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:
hey Dokumentary,

I sent you a tweet (@videoshowdj) about your overlays, interested in some guidence on how to make mine look smoother if at all possible

No prob. I've been making notes and labeling my quartzes for my own use. I'll upload one that has notes so you can see how to change certain things.
DJPunzo 10:28 AM - 19 June, 2013
So been messing around with the twitter overlay and Ive noticed the avatar's are a little distorted. The image feed is using _normal I found a website that you can switch it to other sizes. I tried to switch them but it brings it right back to _normal

www.visuallizard.com

Is there a way to keep it at _Reasonable Size. Thats the one that is nice looking
phil F 12:53 PM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
hey Dokumentary,

No prob. I've been making notes and labeling my quartzes for my own use. I'll upload one that has notes so you can see how to change certain things.

That would be great, thanks ;-)
phil F 6:51 PM - 19 June, 2013
not having any luck creating the rss feed :(
Dokumentary 10:18 PM - 19 June, 2013
Quote:
So been messing around with the twitter overlay and Ive noticed the avatar's are a little distorted. The image feed is using _normal I found a website that you can switch it to other sizes. I tried to switch them but it brings it right back to _normal

www.visuallizard.com

Is there a way to keep it at _Reasonable Size. Thats the one that is nice looking

That would be very cool. Maybe Funky T can figure that out.
Dokumentary 12:09 AM - 20 June, 2013
So, Here's a bunch of quartzes that I've made recently. Feel free to use them all. I may have posted some previously but I made small changes. I'll post a video of them all shortly. Also included is a Template with tons of notes and instructions for making your own changes.
Template with notes: www.dropbox.com
Silver Box: www.dropbox.com
Flat UI (Windows 8/ iOS7 style): www.dropbox.com
Hand Drawn: www.dropbox.com
Blue Box: www.dropbox.com
Arrow Box: www.dropbox.com
Dokumentary 12:24 AM - 20 June, 2013
Quote:
not having any luck creating the rss feed :(

Check out your post on the Inklen forum
Funky T 4:20 AM - 20 June, 2013
Quote:

www.visuallizard.com

Ok, I'll fix this one for you guys in the new update.
Funky T 4:21 AM - 20 June, 2013
Quote:

Hey, can you get it to display the "@" before the author? And maybe make a note that shows how to toggle it on/off?

Sure, I'll add a note on this in the new update.
Dokumentary 4:22 AM - 20 June, 2013
Thank you, Sir
Funky T 4:22 AM - 20 June, 2013
Quote:
Also, do you know how to turn off the scroll?

I think I know where this is - will add a note in the new update.
Funky T 8:31 AM - 20 June, 2013
Ok guys, I've updated my package at:
www.djfunkyt.com

I've added a change log in the 'qc' folder which shows the changes that were done each version. Current version stands at v03.

Changes and instructions for v03 are in the following locations in the quartz composition:

Twitter Live Feed for ME -> Picture & Background

Author/Tweeter's name fix:
Twitter Live Feed for ME -> Author

Instructions on how to modify Text Scroll behaviour:
Twitter Live Feed for ME -> Tweet -> Render in Image
Dokumentary 9:10 AM - 20 June, 2013
You are the man! I hope you've picked up some Twitter followers from this.
I tried using "original" and then "_original" to see if I could get the image even larger as per this article. dev.twitter.com
Neither worked though. I wonder if there are other dimensions available since this article doesn't mention "_reasonably_small" and the visuallizard.com article doesn't mention "original".
Funky T 9:39 AM - 20 June, 2013
No worries, I'm glad to contribute.

Perhaps you can try just putting a blank field - you might get the original.
Funky T 9:41 AM - 20 June, 2013
anyway, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use original, as people might upload original file sizes of a few MB, and we might run into bandwidth issues for our live updates.
Dokumentary 9:47 AM - 20 June, 2013
True. I was thinking about making a qtz with the avatar as the background and the text floating or scrolling on top. Although it would be tough to find the right text color since everyones avatar will be a different color/shade. I might give it a try anyway by upscaling the 128x128 one. I can already think of some other issues that might come up tho... we'll see.
GRiNDBoX 5:49 PM - 20 June, 2013
so its back? hmmmm been away for weeks..and been using facebook feed most of the time...
GRiNDBoX 6:00 PM - 20 June, 2013
Quote:
True. I was thinking about making a qtz with the avatar as the background and the text floating or scrolling on top. Although it would be tough to find the right text color since everyones avatar will be a different color/shade. I might give it a try anyway by upscaling the 128x128 one. I can already think of some other issues that might come up tho... we'll see.

can we edit it same thing as dave ott and vj babylove did before?
Dokumentary 9:02 PM - 20 June, 2013
Yep. You just need to create your own RSS feed now.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:28 AM - 21 June, 2013
Hmm, I guess Ill have to use the Facebook qt as I dont have a .com
Joshua Carl 2:10 AM - 21 June, 2013
looks like i got read up on how to put a rss feed on my site....
Joshua Carl 2:28 AM - 21 June, 2013
Funny, my Thursday bar, in the wake of the success of my fees on Thursday night bought this monthly service that over lays occasional tweets and the bars logo over their broadcasts..
And it's still working.
Must be an actual program
Joshua Carl 2:45 AM - 21 June, 2013
monitter.com

michaelheipel.wordpress.com

thenextweb.com

Just some interesting reads...maybe good for inspiration and development
Dokumentary 5:58 AM - 21 June, 2013
Wow. I never realized how many services are available. I wonder how many are still operating with the API v1.1
GRiNDBoX 7:41 AM - 21 June, 2013
Quote:
Yep. You just need to create your own RSS feed now.

hmmm that sucks..dont have rss...:(
Dokumentary 8:40 AM - 21 June, 2013
What's the deal with the FB feed. Is it a Quartz like the Twitter one? If it is, I can do some cool shit with that one too. Where did you guys DL it? Link?
GRiNDBoX 11:09 AM - 21 June, 2013
yup its a quartz file also...made by vj xplicit...you can get in touch to him
Dokumentary 6:33 AM - 22 June, 2013
Oh, I forgot about that one. Is it like the twitter one? Would it be worth messing around with? Like changing the layout and such? Like I do with the Twitter one?
Also, does anyone know of a video site that plays embedded vids automatically without having to click on the play button? I wanna upload a new quartz that I made with a twitter bird flying. It's a .mov with alpha channel. I would like to link to a webpage so you guys don't have to DL the actual video & apply it to the .qtz. (vids don't save inside the quartz file like images do) I'd like it to just work automatically by linking to a URL. I'll post video soon.
Suggestions?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:24 AM - 22 June, 2013
I'd be interested in some new Facebook layouts. Been using xplicit s for a few months now.
Thanks for the work you've done thus far, most appreciated.
GRiNDBoX 10:08 AM - 23 June, 2013
Quote:
Oh, I forgot about that one. Is it like the twitter one? Would it be worth messing around with? Like changing the layout and such? Like I do with the Twitter one?
Also, does anyone know of a video site that plays embedded vids automatically without having to click on the play button? I wanna upload a new quartz that I made with a twitter bird flying. It's a .mov with alpha channel. I would like to link to a webpage so you guys don't have to DL the actual video & apply it to the .qtz. (vids don't save inside the quartz file like images do) I'd like it to just work automatically by linking to a URL. I'll post video soon.
Suggestions?

its plane fb feed on the lower side of the scree..but i edit it add 1 flashing logo on the lower center and add two rotating logo one for the club/bar and 1 for sponsors...")
Dokumentary 6:16 AM - 26 June, 2013
I found an interesting tool online to help people get an RSS feed working. I think I'll post in a new thread as well since there are many people who didn't follow this thread if they thought it was too much hassle to get an RSS feed working. www.twitter-rss.com
Funky T 1:32 PM - 26 June, 2013
Quote:
I found an interesting tool online to help people get an RSS feed working. I think I'll post in a new thread as well since there are many people who didn't follow this thread if they thought it was too much hassle to get an RSS feed working. www.twitter-rss.com

Very nice!
Dokumentary 3:07 PM - 26 June, 2013
I'm not sure how well it works though. Seems like it just gives you the feed. No author or avatar.
Funky T 4:04 AM - 11 July, 2013
Security Fix:

I've updated the Twitter package to v03a, with the inclusion of a blank index.html to all folders, to prevent unauthorized access to the twitter folders (and KEYS) on your server from a web browser.

There are no changes to the QC template.

Download link:
www.djfunkyt.com
GRiNDBoX 4:59 AM - 11 July, 2013
new gurus!!! :)
Dokumentary 5:02 AM - 11 July, 2013
Awesome. Thanks Funky T.

Did you see the Video Report? I think I shouted you out like 4 times. Hahaha...
djpuma_gemini 5:51 AM - 11 July, 2013
anyone know how to make the funky t twitter qtz into a 16:9 AR instead of 4:3. I project onto tv's that are 16:9
Funky T 6:51 AM - 11 July, 2013
Dokumentary, I haven't! Where at?
Funky T 7:30 AM - 11 July, 2013
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks Funky T.

Just saw it, thanks for the shoutouts!
GRiNDBoX 2:13 PM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
Awesome. Thanks Funky T.

hahahahahaha
djpuma_gemini 10:00 PM - 13 July, 2013
Neither of my qtz files work with a 16:9 AR
The bottom gets cutoff each time.
Funky T 3:55 AM - 29 July, 2013
Quote:
Neither of my qtz files work with a 16:9 AR
The bottom gets cutoff each time.

I've updated my package to include a 16:9 version.

Let me know if it works for you.

www.djfunkyt.com