DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 Midi Mapping in the 2nd layer

Dj Rehab 8:49 PM - 13 May, 2013
What is the trick to getting knobs and buttons to respond similar to the way they respond when Midi mapping a Traktor X2 while in the Midi panel? Is there a video or an in depth tutorial out there?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:38 PM - 13 May, 2013
Hey Rehab,

There is no in depth tutorial aside from this --> serato.com
MIDI mapping in another layer on the Sixty-Two is no different than MIDI mapping any other device. You just have to get to a different layer on the mixer before you can MIDI map it.
To do that simply hold down the Cues/Samples button and press 2-5 cue buttons for either side.
Dj Rehab 12:01 AM - 15 May, 2013
When I get to the different layers, I'm not getting any response when I move knobs or press buttons. I have 2.4.4, does this update the 62's firmware as well? I'm using an 2009 Mac.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:30 PM - 15 May, 2013
If you need a firmware upgrade you will see an 'update firmware' tab under the USB Audio Buffer slider within the Hardware tab of Setup (with your mixer plugged in and turned on).
Click that if you see it.
Dj Rehab 12:23 AM - 16 May, 2013
got it, I found the enable midi mapping checkbox in the setup. Thanks, this mixer is the illest
Mick Swell 3:41 PM - 16 May, 2013
Wait a second, your telling me that when you get to the second layer and so on that you can set a different midi mapping for the knobs also? Like the second layer knobs for example can control the serato DJ efx while the first layer is still mapped to the default hardware efx?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:18 PM - 16 May, 2013
Quote:
Wait a second, your telling me that when you get to the second layer and so on that you can set a different midi mapping for the knobs also? Like the second layer knobs for example can control the serato DJ efx while the first layer is still mapped to the default hardware efx?

Yep:)
Mick Swell 10:46 PM - 16 May, 2013
Wow!! That's incredible. I have two of these mixers and had no idea! So if only the left cues are set to the second layer does that mean the left three knobs of the efx section will save a different mapping? Like if the right set of cues is in the first layer the right three knobs will also be mapped to the default settings? I appreciate your help Zach thanks!
Mick Swell 10:50 PM - 16 May, 2013
I meant to say buttons sorry. In the second layer are b1 b2 and b3 assigned to the left side and b4 b5 and b6 assigned to the right?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:29 PM - 17 May, 2013
The effect section isn't part of the MIDI layer.
Although they can be mapped they will always communicate on MIDI channel 1.
Basically the side strips and the cues/samples areas are what change to a different MIDI channel when switching layers.
DJfamoso123 2:24 AM - 7 July, 2013
How do you save what changes youve done one the second layer
every time i turn the mixer off then back on the layer is gone
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:23 PM - 8 July, 2013
You have to create a MIDI preset, map it, save it, and then load it every time you open Scratch Live.
dj-freestyle 7:54 PM - 9 July, 2013
Had mixer and didnt understand that part till now. lol lol. Love this dam mixer.
dj shadow from detroit 4:26 AM - 10 July, 2013
can you map the sticks in the 2nd layer ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:06 PM - 10 July, 2013
Quote:
can you map the sticks in the 2nd layer ?

No.. you can't map anything in the FX section of the mixer.
funkyfresh2012 8:19 PM - 10 July, 2013
just wanted to ask, if i used the 2nd-5th midi layers, will the cue points that i have assigned in the 1st layer be activated when im in the 2nd-5th layer using that new midi assignment?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:10 PM - 10 July, 2013
All default assignments will be present in other MIDI layers until you remap the knob or button.
nojretlas 1:32 AM - 31 August, 2013
How do you change the MIDI layers to access the functions.....as an example I would like to set up the AUX Flex FX button to turn on the effects in SSL. Is there a way to switch to layer 2 to utilize the internal FFX map without activating the Flex FX?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:33 PM - 27 September, 2013
The Aux FLEX FX button will always retain its original function so I wouldn't recommend mapping anything to it unless you want to use the effects at the same time.

You can switch to a different layer by holding down the Cues/Samples button and pressing 2-5 Cues for either PGM 1 or 2.
DJ Eighty 8 9:04 PM - 29 September, 2013
How can I map EVERYTHING just the way it is on the first page of my 62 to the second layer with just a few MIDI changes. I try and save the settings after I make the MIDI changes, but when I load the preset every button is inactive in the second layer.........?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:33 PM - 30 September, 2013
You don't have to remap anything in another layer other than the mappings that don't exist in the first layer by default. The mappings for all layers are the same until you choose to remap one of the functions. You can only remap layers 2-5 though.
DJ Eighty 8 12:33 AM - 2 October, 2013
Yeah I remap a button or two on layer 2 and save it, reload that particular preset and ALL of the other buttons are blank. It's like I gotta remap EVERY single button on the second layer.....?
Dj Nyce 1:04 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Yeah I remap a button or two on layer 2 and save it, reload that particular preset and ALL of the other buttons are blank. It's like I gotta remap EVERY single button on the second layer.....?

which version of ssl are you using?
DJ Eighty 8 1:23 AM - 2 October, 2013
Always the latest.........I want the layer 2 just like the main page with one change on the loop knobs. I want to trigger loops by pressing them and I can't get this shit done to save my life. Got my 62 down-pat except for the MIDI shit..........?
Dj Nyce 1:34 AM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Always the latest.........I want the layer 2 just like the main page with one change on the loop knobs. I want to trigger loops by pressing them and I can't get this shit done to save my life. Got my 62 down-pat except for the MIDI shit..........?

yeah. that's quite odd. i know there was a version of ssl that didn't have this functionality that's why i ask.

are you using the latest 62 firmware? meaning no update firmware button in the setup.
DJ Eighty 8 9:34 AM - 2 October, 2013
Yep, been using SSL from day 1........and the part that always sucked with the 62 is every time you want to use the 2nd layer you have to load that preset every time.
dj-freestyle 4:01 PM - 2 October, 2013
How are you saving it? do you go into midid and save and name it? im guessing there is a midi save folder in ssl thats corrupt.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:23 PM - 2 October, 2013
Ya.. try shutting down SSL, opening up the _Serato_ folder on the internal drive, and re-naming the MIDI folder to MIDIold.

Re-open SSL from there, create a new preset, map it, and save it.

I just did this and its working for me (other than the bug of the auto loop scroll knob not scrolling in a different layer... which is a known issue).

Also.. if you open the Preference panel through System Preferences or the Control Panel what firmware version does it say is installed?
dj-freestyle 10:22 PM - 2 October, 2013
Thanks zach i could think of how just couldnt explain well. :)
DJ Eighty 8 9:33 AM - 3 October, 2013
Gonna try this weekend............
DJ Eighty 8 9:05 PM - 6 October, 2013
Maybe I'm just doing something wrong: I toggled to the second layer, made a preset named MIDI Layer 2, MIDI mapped my button, went back and clicked saved. I went back to that very preset and what i mapped was still there but all the other buttons didn't work. I want the second layer to function just like the default layer. I only want to MIDI map the loop scroll knob to trigger loops.........?
DJ Eighty 8 9:06 PM - 6 October, 2013
The buttons don't illuminate to see what page your on, cue points or sample banks. It's almost like the whole second layer has to MIDI mapped.........?
dj-freestyle 4:02 PM - 7 October, 2013
do you have the midi thing clicked in setting. where is says to alow midi mapping?
DJ Eighty 8 9:34 PM - 7 October, 2013
Yeah I do......I hate when I can't do something simple, it's insulting. Anybody got a video on this or feel free to treat me like I'm in Pre-K and give me step-by-step directions?
dj-freestyle 4:03 PM - 8 October, 2013
Sounds like you are doing it right. did you re-do the midi file in serato like zach said
Dj Nyce 5:43 PM - 8 October, 2013
Konix shows how to map on the 62 in this video.

Watchwww.youtube.com

the only thing different from when that video was made is that all layers have the mixer default functions until you change them.

i know you've been over this, but double and triple check. one of your variables (ssl version, mixer firmware, corrupt midi xml, user error) is causing this problem. make sure you have the latest version of ssl. latest mixer firmware. delete all xml files in your midi folder (restart ssl after or do it when ssl is closed). then switch layers and midi map as normal. only the controls you actually change will get mapped and the rest will perform their default function.
DJ Eighty 8 7:53 PM - 8 October, 2013
Thanks 4 the support............now I'm gonna eat my animal cookies, drink my milk and lay on my blanket for a mid-day nap. I feel dumb and mad over a simple ABC situation, I mapped my whole Traktor Kontrol X1 in 10 minutes. :(
DJ Eighty 8 8:12 PM - 8 October, 2013
I follow Konix heavy and remeber that video, but it doesn't explain the process on actually MIDI mapping the other layers.......?
dj-freestyle 8:18 PM - 8 October, 2013
Did you delete midi file from serato folder or lable it old and do a knew one becasue i was just having midi issues with my 62 and that fixed it.
DJ Eighty 8 8:42 PM - 8 October, 2013
No MIDI files in there.......I'm familiar on how everything works, been using SSL from day one and this is some ABC shit. I'll give it another whirl and file my report.....LOL
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:31 PM - 8 October, 2013
You should have an Autosave.xml file in there. That is always the file that screws stuff up.
funkyfresh2012 11:40 PM - 8 October, 2013
does this only work for tracks that have zero cue pts saved? I ask because if i have cue1 saved, i cannot assign a midi to cue1 without triggering the the save cue1 pt (in any layer 2-5).
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:46 PM - 8 October, 2013
If you are in a different layer the Cue should work until you remap it.
funkyfresh2012 1:08 AM - 9 October, 2013
ahh i see... i never actually assigned it (only tested the button). Thanks! :D
dj-freestyle 3:41 PM - 9 October, 2013
what do mean no midi files in there? explain. you have a foilder name midi in the serato folder correct? there should be a v2 file and a crates file ect.
DJ Eighty 8 10:36 PM - 9 October, 2013
Just tried again: Deleted all files from the MIDI folder in Scratch Live, started SSL, toggled to the 2nd MIDI layer, made my changes via MIDI mapping, went to MIDI section in setup, clicked on Save As, named my mapping, opened SSL folder and made sure it was there, closed SSL and restarted, went to 2nd MIDI layer, went to MIDI in the setup, loaded my preset which showed up..............the buttons that I mapped took and worked, but nothing else worked except for the scroll knobs for my crates. Cue points didn't light and it didn't "mirror" the first default layer. Now WTF.......?!?!
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:52 PM - 9 October, 2013
What version of SSL are you using?

Send me the MIDI file and I'll try it out.
Zachs@rane.com
DJ Eighty 8 12:04 AM - 10 October, 2013
Sent.....
dj-freestyle 2:54 PM - 10 October, 2013
Im sure zach can figure it out. do you have another midi product to trouble shoot. to see if if its computer or mixer.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:48 PM - 10 October, 2013
Quote:
Im sure zach can figure it out. do you have another midi product to trouble shoot. to see if if its computer or mixer.

Good suggestion.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:20 PM - 10 October, 2013
I had no issues with this MIDI file so its got to be something else.

If you go into the 62s preference Panel in System Preferences (Mac) or Control Panel (PC) what firmware version does it say you are using?
DJ Eighty 8 9:40 PM - 10 October, 2013
Quote:
I had no issues with this MIDI file so its got to be something else.

If you go into the 62s preference Panel in System Preferences (Mac) or Control Panel (PC) what firmware version does it say you are using?

Rane, Support
Zach S 9:41 PM - 10 October, 2013
That is the version of the software... not the firmware.

Quote:
DJ Eighty 8 9:53 PM - 10 October, 2013
Version 1.17
boabmatic 3:07 PM - 18 October, 2013
Is there any way to retain the lighting of the loops/Cue when in the second Layer?

i.e.
2 cues are created in the track so buttons 1 & 2 are lit up on Layer 1

But if I switch to Layer 2, buttons 1 & 2 still control the cue points but they are not lit.

The same goes for the loop control strips.
dj-freestyle 3:23 PM - 18 October, 2013
Did you check allow midi lights in the set up screen?
Dj Nyce 1:00 AM - 19 October, 2013
Quote:
Is there any way to retain the lighting of the loops/Cue when in the second Layer?

i.e.
2 cues are created in the track so buttons 1 & 2 are lit up on Layer 1

But if I switch to Layer 2, buttons 1 & 2 still control the cue points but they are not lit.

The same goes for the loop control strips.

yeah, but you have to fiddle with the xml file to get the cues and loops to light up.
boabmatic 8:18 AM - 21 October, 2013
the allow MIDI lights is selected in the set-up menu.

When I save the original settings to a new preset file the xml is empty, do you need to manually remap everything on each of the layers?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:57 PM - 21 October, 2013
Hey boabmatic,

The lights in any other layer will not work the same as they do in layer 1.
This is an issue with the software.
Dj Nyce 3:57 PM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:
the allow MIDI lights is selected in the set-up menu.

When I save the original settings to a new preset file the xml is empty, do you need to manually remap everything on each of the layers?

even with the 'allow midi lights is selected' enabled, you still have to fiddle with the xml file.

i don't know how it works (i'm assuming the auto.xml), but all layers have the default settings until you change something. the xml file you save will only contain the things that you mapped manually. the only thing you don't get is led feedback.

if you want the leds to work as normal in the other layers, then you have to re-map because you have to fiddle with the xml to get leds to work properly. #wtf

also keep in mind that you have to load the saved xml file every time you use ssl. it would be nice to auto-load the last used. but hey, what do i know. #again...wtf
dj-freestyle 7:06 PM - 21 October, 2013
Zach will that change for serato dj?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:13 PM - 21 October, 2013
Although I'm not positive I am pretty sure that this will be sorted.
DJ Eighty 8 8:14 PM - 21 October, 2013
Yeah I'm still unable to map the other layers without the same issues.......? Still LOVE my 62 though!
Rane
TrevorW 9:50 PM - 21 October, 2013
Hey guys, I just read through this thread real quick to see if I can help. Looks like pretty much everything I could think of has been tried, but I didn't see anyone suggest the USB port setting.

You probably already checked this, but have you verified that the MIDI is getting into the computer? On the Sixty-Two, if you have a pgm set to USB-A, it's only going to send MIDI traffic to USB Port A (and vice versus for port B). The third group controls (FX, mic, anything not specifically deck related) get assigned to whatever USB Port by the SP6 Assign controls at the top of each strip. If the button is green and bright, third group MIDI traffic goes to Port A. If it's orange, than USB-B.

So with all that being said, have you checked that you aren't trying to map a control set to USB Port B when you're plugged into USB Port A? You probably checked this, but sometimes it's the obvious things that slip by...
Rane
TrevorW 9:51 PM - 21 October, 2013
Another sanity check is using MIDI Monitor or some other application that lets you view data on the MIDI bus and make sure you see the MIDI messages from the mixer on your computer.
Rane, Support
Zach S 10:22 PM - 21 October, 2013
Thanks Trevor:)

More on MIDI Monitor:

Download MIDI Monitor here --> www.snoize.com

Once installed make sure your controller is plugged in and unplug any other USB devices:

Minimize Scratch Live once you have verified you are in the correct layer on the mixer.

1. Open Midi Monitor.
2. Click on 'Sources'.
3. Click on 'Midi sources'.
4. Start bangin on your controller in the layer you are having issues with.

If you see information calculating at the bottom then your
controller is communicating with your computer.
If not, than MIDI info isn't even getting to the computer.
Will08272 5:36 PM - 30 December, 2013
Read through the thread and have a decent understanding of how layering works. I was wondering if it would be possible in another layer to have just the sp6 controls send midi to a device connected to usb b and have all the other controls on mixer remain the same. Or would i have to press the sp6 assign everytime to switch between my intended funtionality and the normal one.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:55 PM - 30 December, 2013
The mixer's controls are split in half.
If the USB input knob is set to A for PGM 1 all MIDI assignments on the left side of the mixer get sent to A.
If the USB input knob is set to B than all MIDI assignments on that side are sent to B.
You will have to go into a different layer to map controls.
Will08272 6:23 PM - 30 December, 2013
I see, i totally didnt think about that aspect when thinking up my idea which led me to ask the question. I may have to get the 64 to do what im trying to do.
djstingray 9:18 PM - 25 August, 2014
After a bunch of different searches, this is the thread that came up so... BUMP.

Basically, the manual shows that midi out is possible on the 62, there is a blog on the Rane site about using Traktor. I just want MIDI OUT so I can use it inside of Reason for triggering a live looping device. Could also be the same with any other daw like Ableton.

I saw someone using Traktor with a 62 so I know MIDI out of the 62 is a possibility. I am on PC so I can't use MIDI Monitor, but I have the 62 set inside reason as a midi device, I am not seeing any kind of midi output from the 62 even with USB 1 selected on the mixer. All cue button lights are green but not lighting up when pushing them as well. I have tried all the different midi settings in combinations in the 62 control panel, as well as inside of SL (which I am not going to use because I am doing analog stuff, no need for CV)

I just want MIDI out while I am using ANALOG, I don't want to have to set to usb 1 or 2, this is a hybrid mixer, both analog and digital, as advertised and I just want it to work like I read it would before I bought it.

HELP! I am still upset with lack of LiveFeed on the 62, if this is ANOTHER case of bait and switch I am going to have a visit to the Rane headquarters to return my mixer for a full cash refund.
djstingray 9:51 PM - 25 August, 2014
Sorry for the double post.

Looks like I got it. Every time I get mad at this mixer I am soon humbled. I just needed the SP6 button also enabled.

I just wish I didn't have to fiddle with it for hours and search for hours. I might be doing a tutorial on this.

p.s. still mad about removal of LiveFeed on the new "improved" mixer models.
DJ Quartz 7:15 PM - 21 February, 2016
I'm wanting to assign dummy values to the cue buttons in Layer 2 so I can map the midi buttons to mix emergency.
Niro 7:31 PM - 21 February, 2016
I assign a lot of ME controls in the 62, work flow is so much better.
DJ Quartz 7:41 PM - 21 February, 2016
How do you stop it from triggering the serato mapped function?

I can map the controls but it still triggers the cue points. I'm assuming I have to customize the xml file.
Niro 8:28 PM - 21 February, 2016
Are you using SDJ or SSL? Serato functions or hardware mixer functions. Serato functions are designated to the knob/button until you reasign/deactivate it.
DJ Quartz 9:46 PM - 21 February, 2016
Serato DJ, that's what I mean. Since it's being mapped to an external application I have to force a dummy assignment on the cue buttons.
Niro 2:12 AM - 22 February, 2016
I believe you can go into your midi XML file and change the code for the specific channel. This one is probably up to someone at Serato to go further into it. Are you trying to resign all of your Cue buttons to ME controls. I use all of my cues, so I never ran into this issue. I midi other knobs/buttons that I never use. Good luck.
Niro 2:14 AM - 22 February, 2016
Maybe hit up Konix, he's wicked smart on this type of stuff.
DJ Quartz 2:14 AM - 22 February, 2016
I just want to reassign them in layer 2 for Mix Emergency. I'm going to use the other layers for effects, etc within SDJ.