Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

How to record with Serato?

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
TopDJTex 12:47 PM - 7 October, 2008
When you make the combination "CTRL-n", SSL will start recording. Clicking on the "rec" button will stop it. You can give your recording a name and save it.

I tried this several times. I can load my recordings but playback is like a flatliner.

Is my output correct (mic, 1 or 2)? Does there need to be a connection between SSL and mixer??

Thanks,

TopDJTex
Rane, Support
RafaelM 3:51 PM - 7 October, 2008
If you are trying to record a mix with the SL1 -- this is not possible through the Serato software itself.

The SL1 is only designed to record your MIC or regular records on TT 1 & 2.

If you have the TTM57SL then you can record a mix, but the record input must be set to MIX.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 3:52 PM - 7 October, 2008
Are you trying to record records into SSL or record your DJ set?
TopDJTex 4:01 PM - 7 October, 2008
Trying to record the DJ set..
KamiKazie09 11:47 PM - 7 October, 2008
try using Audacity to record your sets. you will need to connect an output(RCA wire) from the mixer to an input on your laptop(usually mic in).
Dooga 1:10 AM - 8 October, 2008
Quote:
If you are trying to record a mix with the SL1 -- this is not possible through the Serato software itself.

It is possible to record a mix with SL1. What you need to do is get the appropriate adapter cables and connect them from an available adjustable output directly into the 'mic in' of SL1. Play a track and adjust the levels appropriately until the yellows begin to peak. If you would like to use your mic in the mix, make sure it is plugged into the mixer and sent to the mix. Your mix in its entirety will be recorded as if you had a TTM57SL.

Example:
DJM 909. Connect SL1 appropriately, and if necessary, connect mic to 'mic in' on mixer. The DJM 909 has a booth out. Many mixers have an Aux out as well, so feel free to use either one and connect it to the 'mic in' of the SL1 box. Adjust the volume in the software and you are ready to record you mix!

myspace.com/djdooga
D J L.P. 1:29 AM - 8 October, 2008
if u have a macbook pro u can record your set with garage band or quicktime. Ive been using garage ban. u can record through the built inmicrophone and transfer it to itunes or just burn it.
Rane, Support
RafaelM 3:33 PM - 8 October, 2008
We do not recomend people use the Mic In on the SL1 to record because it is designed to record a Mono signal, and your mixer puts out a stereo signal. If you do this you are taking the chance of frying your SL1. Your mixes will also be recorded in Mono and not be a very good quality. Therefore, the SL1 was not designed to be routed to record a mixed stereo signal.

The best possible way to record your mix if you have the SL1 (is to do as DJ L.P. has suggested) run the master or booth out from your mixer back into your computer and use a seperate recording program.
4mydawgz 2:54 AM - 19 October, 2008
Quote:
if u have a macbook pro u can record your set with garage band or quicktime. Ive been using garage ban. u can record through the built inmicrophone and transfer it to itunes or just burn it.

can you explain in detail? Im not really that familiar with Macs so i need directions for dummies.
D J L.P. 1:26 AM - 21 October, 2008
Garage band comes pre installed on the pro. just click the icon, then new project, once opened click on prefrences - audio output input- make sure your input is for built in speakers, then click on control and turn off the metrinome. then u should be good to go. Just hit record and do your thang.

You can play around with it and tweak the input like u want but thats basicly it. when finished u can transfer it to itunes and burn if u like.
DJ2811 10:02 AM - 21 October, 2008
Quote:
try using Audacity to record your sets. you will need to connect an output(RCA wire) from the mixer to an input on your laptop(usually mic in).

I agree!
I was trying to use Ableton & Adobe Audition to record my sets by selecting the SL1 box as an input (both of these programs can 'see' it as an input)however once i hit record Serato slows down soooooooo much it sounds terrible.
Ive just downloaded Audacity and used my line in on the lappy and it records happily in the background whilst not affecting Serato at all. :)
While im here this is the link to the mix i recorded.

rapidshare.com
Sista Suki Sounds 2:10 PM - 26 October, 2008
Record a Mix:

I have a regular macbook and a tascam xs3 with SL1. I used a resistance Y chord (rca) to mic input, and connected the master output of my mixer to the mic jack of my 2nd laptop, a dell, which I used adobe audition to record the mix. The audio imported really low, but after I dynamic processed and normalized the final track, the levels were fine. It isn't top quality, but good to practice hearing your mix.

I haven't tried it by recording into the MacBook, but everyone is suggesting only do that with MacBook Pro. I also will try to use Audacity as suggested.
matt play 2:43 AM - 12 February, 2009
How is the sound quality when recording from an 1/8" stero jack like the lappy's input?
DJDG 4:17 PM - 18 January, 2010
I want to start recording my sets while I have live gigs. I am concerned that if I feed the mix signal back into my macbook pro (with Audacity or Garageband), I might end up taxing my computer too much and cause my serato to crash mid-set. Is this a real concern?

And if so, I might choose to just run a line from my mixer to that an external digital recorder. If I were to do that, any suggestions on a good external digital recorder?
hamual 3:16 PM - 15 February, 2010
@DJDG I've had varying degrees of success when doing this, depending on how long your set is and more importantly how powerful your laptop is. I've also got a Macbook Pro and I find that audacity will often crash on mine after 1.30hr/2hrs, but not always. I use the same method of recording when at home but most mixes are less than an hour so I don't have any issues. What I often do when playing 3 or 4 hours is stop audacity every hour, save the file and then restart it, you miss a song or two in the set but its worth it if you wanna record the whole thing. Oh and MAKE SURE you have lots of hard drive space, wav files take up a lotta room!
Serato usually remains stable but I recommend having some form of backup (I play loads of vinyl still anyway) just incase you need a quick reboot. As for external recorders, someone suggested iKey to me the other day but its about the same price of Creative's mp3 player/recorders, so I dunno. If you do find a good one PM me and let me know!
B NICE 11:18 PM - 16 June, 2010
I have A Vestex pmc 07Pro mixer, serato SL 1 , and a M2 mini Box i am trying to record mixes through pro tools does anyone know how would hook it up? please help much respect....
East Dub Sound 6:30 PM - 13 January, 2011
for the audacity approach to recording can you use the standard mic in jack on a regular PC (laptop)?
DjCandice B 12:37 AM - 17 January, 2011
This message has been moved to a new discussion: serato.com

hello --i would also like to record a dj set--i have SL3 and (sadly) a Behringer VMZ 200...was hoping someone might be able to tell me what i should hook into from the SL3 to the mixer if that is an option....thanks!