DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Mixing vs Dropping

Ollie 6:57 AM - 7 May, 2013
Wondering when do you consider it's best to mix or drop a song during a set? Need some tips, I'm all ears.
Esco... 7:14 AM - 7 May, 2013
Depends on the crowd. If you are just making a mix to release to people, it might not really matter as much. Basically, dropping a track gives that OH SHIT effect. Where as when you mix people can already hear what song is coming next and when the intro of the track ends, it not that much of a surprise. I like to mix songs but I don't always want the crowd to know what is coming next, so I sometime cut the midrange so you can't hear the main melody. This won't work for all songs though. Tracks like "the motto" have a distinct bass line so people will be able to tell what it is even if you cut the highs and mids. SOO, basically you it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish and who you are playing to. I know at my spot I can scratch in the chorus to Shots and the place would go crazy. Good luck man!
Ollie 7:29 AM - 7 May, 2013
Thanks Esco!
Laz219 10:08 PM - 7 May, 2013
I'd do a little of both, following Esco's advice. Variety keeps things interesting.
ConstantElevation 3:20 AM - 8 May, 2013
hmmmmmmmmm :-/ IMO... dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does, who can't mix; HOWEVER done correctly it is an effective way to transition and spike the energy level... however i typically drop/cut tracks only if it is what i call a SMART DROP/CUT.. there is a difference bwt just dropping a track and dropping a track in a smart way that makes use of the vocals/music structure (it is a lot to explain) point being do slick drops instead of just dropping a track. and now you can get the same WOW factor by actually mixing/blending but it requires messing with the EQs and upfaders/volume faders. imo but typically the dropping cutting is something hip hop djs tend to do, which i am not crazy about since it does not really take much skill to just drop a track on time, but what do i know \('_')/
DJRemixEnt 3:40 AM - 8 May, 2013
dropping works real well when you are doing an old school set in a club...

tracks like:

Mary & Biggie - Real Love Remix
Fugees - Ready or Not
Puffy Mase & Biggie - Mo Money Mo Problems
Luniz - 5 On It
MJ - PYT
Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebaum
Soul For Real - Candy Rain

all have very distinctive intros and are classic chart toppers that just about everyone knows.... and when you drop in a certain key part of the song it really does give that "oh shit that was the muthafuckin jam back in the day" effect, like esco said above.

and that shit can really build a hype vibe that will make the crowd go ape shit.
ConstantElevation 4:22 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
dropping works real well when you are doing an old school set in a club...

tracks like:

Mary & Biggie - Real Love Remix
Fugees - Ready or Not
Puffy Mase & Biggie - Mo Money Mo Problems
Luniz - 5 On It
MJ - PYT
Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebaum
Soul For Real - Candy Rain

all have very distinctive intros and are classic chart toppers that just about everyone knows.... and when you drop in a certain key part of the song it really does give that "oh shit that was the muthafuckin jam back in the day" effect, like esco said above.

and that shit can really build a hype vibe that will make the crowd go ape shit.

i beg to differ,

first.... most throw back songs will have that OOOOH shit factor regardless if it is DROPPED or MIX.. why? cause duh it's time proven to be a banger and people know it so well that it is just a natural reaction there is a connection with that track(s) ..... dropping works real well when you can't mix the tracks and if is a banger/throwback of course.. or if the bpms are way off (but with todays technology dropping would be the lazy fast way to get to that song.... but there are other techniques you can use to actually blend)... i am not against dropping tracks lets just be honest it is the easy way to "DJ" i mean it is what REAL DJS do they drop tracks left and right -_-

i am honest i don't usually drop tracks still get the same WOW factor matter fact i get props for being able to mix/blend, that is not to say that a dj who drops tracks can't rock a a club cause shit nobody in my area seems to mix lol they all are just DROP happy oh and after you drop a track AIR HORN cause that is what really makes people who BANANAS!!!

^ yes sarcasm but, all jokes aside

Luniz - 5 On It <<< lends itself to be mix perfectly(if you dropped this track at the start, chances are you are going to kill your energy level, in contrast if you mix it you can keep your energy level) ... see the thing about dropping is if you drop the wrong track in at the wrong point it can kill your floor even if it is a hot song... cause you don't keep a steady flow (typically i would drop a track that will kill the floor so that people can go buy drinks, bar needs to make money and if they make money i make money) then go back to a banger to get them back on the floor and mix in and keep them there for another 60 mins and clear the floor again... cause people need to rest and buy drinks :-)

Mary & Biggie - Real Love Remix <<< another song that lends it self to be mix in perfectly(right after the 4 beat melody it has a 32 beat intro/break you can use to mix in and it leads right into the verse) and also because of the leads being so upbeat this one you can drop no problem and you wont lose your energy level if anything it will spike it... the track is well a certified banger works everytime.....

Fugees - Ready or Not <<<< no lie song is dope but this type of song i would drop/mix but early in the night to warm people up but never ever drop it on prime club hours... hell no shit is slow as fuck this is what you would call a CHILL OUT song

Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebaum <<< song you would play to warm up folks never prime time IMO .... unless your NIGHT is SLOW SEXY SONGS or some shit otherwise this would kill the vibe.... it is another one of what i call chill lounge songs...

anyways point being dropping is easy way to transition no effort or much skill needed... if you want to you can be that type of dj. but you really are doing much aside from selection songs, like i said before doesn't mean you wont be able to rock a crowd. but it does mean and will show you are not the most SKILLED DJ. but again no shame in the hustle..... so if you don't mind that then it is what it is. we are all out in the hustle :-)
DJRemixEnt 4:30 AM - 8 May, 2013
^i think your getting dropping and trainwrecking mixed up
ConstantElevation 4:34 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
^i think your getting dropping and trainwrecking mixed up

nope.. train wreaking is what scrub djs do... but then they discover DROPPING :-) problem solve now they are DOPE DJS killing it at the club. yup yup like i said end of the day if one feels comfortable DROPPING tracks no shame in that, one is just simply not as skilled as others but like i said by no means does it mean that you won't be able to rock out
DJRemixEnt 4:37 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
DROPPING tracks no shame in that, one is just simply not as skilled as others

www.reactiongifs.com
Laz219 4:38 AM - 8 May, 2013
I've actually always thought dropping tracks WELL can be really difficult to make sound right.
ConstantElevation 4:49 AM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
I've actually always thought dropping tracks WELL can be really difficult to make sound right.

not really, it sounds decent 90 % of the time and way better then trainwreaking a mix that is for sure... and also dropping is also what some consider to be a good DJ depending on LOCATION which is key.... NYC??? what!! most djs here live and die by that method. every god damn MIXTAPE is nothing but dropping tracks and air horns oh and lasers or BOMBS at the clubs/lounges same shit... very rare do i find a dj who really knows how to mix and make use of dropping and makes it sound better then DECENT. my hat off to them. what i do find funny most about the DJs who drop most of their track is that they are all on TURNTABLES might as well have them be on a RACKMOUNT dennon unit with a the play and stop button IMO. but again no shame in that method if you getting paid that is all that matters.
ConstantElevation 4:54 AM - 8 May, 2013
You know what it is.... in my honest opinion i feel like most DJs get stuck with one method and just keep doing it and get Lazy. sucks but there is more to Djing then dropping tracks and doing your typical mix intro with outro or mixing in the break portion of a track.... you know you can use filters/Eq's Loops among other techniques.... i guess i like to hear innovation and be wow by other djs.
eugguy 11:41 AM - 8 May, 2013
I drop every morning when I wake up and after big meals.
Jairen 4:04 PM - 8 May, 2013
I agree on the NYC comment above. Where's the skill?

Outgoing track>Bomb>horn>yell something on the mic>bomb>shout outs>bomb>say all of your A.K.A's>gunshot>track...

Okay, a little exaggeration there, but you know what I mean.

But there are some tracks I do like to drop depending on the energy level and what song is currently playing such as Ain't No Future for example.
Joshua Carl 5:15 PM - 8 May, 2013
this is one reason i lean on acapella flips.
I for one am not one to drop... aside from those ones that are sure-fire bombs on the drop
(honestly, in my ehhhemmmm years of spinning ive never mixed in Ruff Ryders Anthem
Ill beat match and cue it up properly but its always a drop into the synth line.

acapella flips are nice because the last few bars of the verse are acapella, then when the chorus drops you can blend (but technically still drop and get THAT reaction) while maintaining some musical integrity, wow factor and originality with track 2 having that familiar instrumental, while the sing along factor from track 1 is still in effect
its a win win,

but, variety is the spice of life... and in my own head I try to rotate my ins/outs throughout the night.
I do have some friends who wont touch any Rmx service, and have no intro/outro versions (even those built from the instrumental) and will do scratch and drops perfectly all night.... but for me Id rather hear some creative blending and some variety.

Ive been do some rap shows (notice i didnt say hiphop) where its drop, efx and mic all night...(but we had this discussion via the KidCapri thread) and the crowd was going bezerk
Capo Status 10:46 PM - 8 May, 2013
How about them bar Dj's who just drop, no beat match or anything still dropping lmfao sexy and i know it to a kendrick lamar kill my vibe, what do we call that? I hear these type of DJ's playing out every weekend
Capo Status 10:52 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
hmmmmmmmmm :-/ IMO... dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does, who can't mix; HOWEVER done correctly it is an effective way to transition and spike the energy level... however i typically drop/cut tracks only if it is what i call a SMART DROP/CUT.. there is a difference bwt just dropping a track and dropping a track in a smart way that makes use of the vocals/music structure (it is a lot to explain) point being do slick drops instead of just dropping a track. and now you can get the same WOW factor by actually mixing/blending but it requires messing with the EQs and upfaders/volume faders. imo but typically the dropping cutting is something hip hop djs tend to do, which i am not crazy about since it does not really take much skill to just drop a track on time, but what do i know \('_')/

I'd like you to elaborate
Laz219 11:40 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
How about them bar Dj's who just drop, no beat match or anything still dropping lmfao sexy and i know it to a kendrick lamar kill my vibe, what do we call that? I hear these type of DJ's playing out every weekend

You call them noobs that have probably been DJing for a month.
And if they've been DJing for years...long term noobs.
pdidy 11:50 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:
dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does, who can't mix

Oh Really.......

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 11:53 PM - 8 May, 2013
Quote:

you call them a lil smarter than the dj that tries to blend them.....
DJRemixEnt 12:11 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does, who can't mix

Oh Really.......

Watchwww.youtube.com
Watchwww.youtube.com

lmao
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:17 AM - 9 May, 2013
If you are outside of any the 5 Boroughs around NYC - ONLY when you play THIS> Watchwww.youtube.com
pdidy 12:44 AM - 9 May, 2013
Fuck dropping, I turn the music completely off for at least 30 seconds with a blank look on my face then I........

Watchwww.youtube.com

I turn it off, scream on the mic " were the fuck is Brooklyn at "......they go ape shit, then I drop that shit again !!!
ConstantElevation 2:04 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

you call them a lil smarter than the dj that tries to blend them.....

they are not smarter they just don't have the skill to MIX THEM... again making them very skilled djs in the only way for them to introduce that track is by dropping it

again i beg to differ, you can certainly mix SEXY AND I KNOW IT into BITCH DON"T KILL MY VIBE

sexy and i know it 130 bpm

don't kill my vibe 65 bpm <<< ( i think it is a bit more then that i have to double check but sure sounds like it is around that range)

now if you know your shit then you know those tracks will blend fine..... of course takes a bit more then just cross fading.... and instrumental would be needed or a loop and............ yea you get the idea. like i said not much skilled needed to DROP A TRACK

also why the fuck would you drop a slow as fuck song after a high energy jam like sexy and i know it.... your whole floor would clear out... you would have a better chance of keeping your floor if you blended that song in at least it gives people some time to adjust to a new feel and vibe. SMH again this could also have a different affect if the sexy and i know it was a different song then yes it would be better to drop it and you might get the WOW factor... like i said decisions decisions a SKILLED dj has to make... but if you got no skill yes dropping a track in regardless of key consideration is the ideal and novice choice to make!!
ConstantElevation 2:09 AM - 9 May, 2013
oh wait but i forget the hip hop club scene is use to garbage djs anyways so yes dropping is deem SKILLED ....... Shame really when all of the Djs are using serato tracktor vdj ect ect ect yet none or very few actually make use of the tools and creative things you can do with the technology. might as well just use a CD player with play and stop... essentially it is what Drop a track Djs do anyways,
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:20 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
again i beg to differ, you can certainly mix SEXY AND I KNOW IT into BITCH DON"T KILL MY VIBE

sexy and i know it 130 bpm

don't kill my vibe 65 bpm <<< ( i think it is a bit more then that i have to double check but sure sounds like it is around that range)

now if you know your shit then you know those tracks will blend fine.....

No disrespect dude, i get what u are saying but - just because you CAN blend two tracks together doesn't mean you SHOULD

Ironic that you mentioned "Bitch Don't kill My Vibe" - I think that mix would MURDER a nice vibe if I am hearing it in my head right.... (but what do I know??)

Maybe it's just me - anybody else think that is a good song choice choice for a blend?

if you said something with those doubletime claps like "Pour it Up" Inst. and Sexy - better choice...?
ConstantElevation 2:26 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
No disrespect dude, i get what u are saying but - just because you CAN blend two tracks together doesn't mean you SHOULD

Ironic that you mentioned "Bitch Don't kill My Vibe" - I think that mix would MURDER a nice vibe if I am hearing it in my head right.... (but what do I know??)

Maybe it's just me - anybody else think that is a good song choice choice for a blend?

if you said something with those doubletime claps like "Pour it Up" Inst. and Sexy - better choice...?

again not to disrespect you.... but if you read it. I said yes you can def MIX IT... but then i followed it up by

"why the fuck would you drop a slow as fuck song after a high energy jam like sexy and i know it.... your whole floor would clear out"

that blend mix is something i would not do... unless i am going into a low bpm hour or hip hop hour then yes i proli would blend it... but then i would stick around that bpm for a bit... but yes

those two tracks would kill/clear a dance floor generally speaking ... specially if you DROP it in. IMO i could be wrong, what do i know i only have a PHD \("_")/
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:29 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
"why the fuck would you drop a slow as fuck song after a high energy jam like sexy and i know it.... your whole floor would clear out"

I did kinda miss that... continue
ConstantElevation 2:33 AM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

lol no problem man, i figure you did. Imo i would play such CHILL song to open up the night but never at prime time..... i would play that bitch don't kill my by early to open up and warm the folks up cause well people love to hear "THERE SONG" but it is def not a tune for the prime hours
Capo Status 7:35 PM - 9 May, 2013
I know they would blend, i made a mistake i meant sexy and i know it with, fucking problems, but it wasn't mixed just played out and dropped, also who the fuck is playing sexy and i know it still? This dj i speak of had been doing it for years
Esco... 8:44 PM - 9 May, 2013
Quote:
I know they would blend, i made a mistake i meant sexy and i know it with, fucking problems, but it wasn't mixed just played out and dropped, also who the fuck is playing sexy and i know it still? This dj i speak of had been doing it for years

Lol, unfortunately, I am. The city I live in is behind the times.
Laz219 10:58 PM - 9 May, 2013
I still hear it occasionally, although it seems like 'party rock anthem' has been the lasting track.
Joshua Carl 11:20 PM - 9 May, 2013
SHOTs. :)
ConstantElevation 2:08 AM - 10 May, 2013
Quote:
SHOTs. :)

OMFG.... that song needs to get killed lol never fails everytime i am at a club/lounge just to chill i always hear it... shit is like fucking 4 years old or some shit

Quote:
Lol, unfortunately, I am.

1+ yes i also play sexy and i know it lol shit is a fun song i like it lol but thanks to beiber my new fave song is that POWER
elsupermang 9:25 PM - 10 May, 2013
So much hate against dropping in this thread. It's just a technique man. Use it, don't use it, the club doesn't care. Only other DJs care. The crowd will however feel when you drop a song off beat. It breaks up their dancing rhythm, which may lose some. If you're a bad DJ you will lose the entire crowd over time regardless if you are messing up on blends, drops, crossfades, etc. If you are entertaining the crowd with sloppy drops, well more power to ya, well done.

Where dropping is 100% better than blending is when songs have different, clashing keys. Hence why you say dropping is easier, there is no key to clash, no elements conflicting, but a decent DJ will still beat-match his drops.
Esco... 12:55 AM - 11 May, 2013
nice post elsuper. I agree, I don't understand why some people are against dropping so much. DJ Excel, one of the dopest DJs Ive heard does it pretty often and he is sick. I've year to hear anything bad from him, even if he is playing music I don't really like.
djdonnydee 1:25 AM - 11 May, 2013
NY invades Cali lol

www.skamartist.com
DJRemixEnt 1:36 AM - 11 May, 2013
Great example of dope dropping! soundcloud.com
DJRemixEnt 1:38 AM - 11 May, 2013
Quote:
dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does

the above link proves this wrong.
djdonnydee 1:46 AM - 11 May, 2013
Turntablelab.com/blog Interview from Skam Artist DJ Ross One ...Pretty good article of a traveling DJ blog.turntablelab.com

do you ever mess up?

Probably every night. Nobody cares, just keep it moving. I’d rather hear someone slam a record here and there, instead of 20 perfect 8-bar intro/outros in a row. Technology has made it so any idiot can be an adequate DJ, so It’s better to have a little personality than to be perfect and boring.
ConstantElevation 2:29 AM - 11 May, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
dropping a track is blatantly what a no skill dj does

the above link proves this wrong.

yes i herd that mix... it is called a MIXTAPE if a mixtape is good it is PLAN OUT. smh though when in to the song selection and the location it was cut dropped. you can compare a mixtape which is suppose to be your tightest "MIX" to djs dropping songs ina live scenario. there is a big difference... and yes i fucking say dropping takes no damn skill cause it doesnt. plus at least here in NYC half of the djs don't even beat match the songs at all I know trust me i know. yes dropping does sound better if it is actually on beat. but anyways you dropping fan boys try to make it seem like dropping is some ill technique... Blending requires more skill then dropping. and there is more to mixing then just your typical blend in the intro outro <<<< that is for scrub djs and those who don't get pass that method.

and for the record i don't oppose dropping a song if it works. SHIT I DROP SONG 100 % agree it is another technique... but problem is a lot of DJ love using it cause it is EASY! don't lie and don't front... it is the same shit as Djs who use the fucking air horn or a bomb sound effect to switch songs. NO SKILL like i said... im not saying they dont sound alright im just saying they have limited skills. and like i said end of the day NO shame in their game if they are getting PAID.

now calm down cry babies, its ok if you can only Drop a song. it is cool!
images.wikia.com

Quote:
Turntablelab.com/blog Interview from Skam Artist DJ Ross One ...Pretty good article of a traveling DJ blog.turntablelab.com

do you ever mess up?

Probably every night. Nobody cares, just keep it moving. I’d rather hear someone slam a record here and there, instead of 20 perfect 8-bar intro/outros in a row. Technology has made it so any idiot can be an adequate DJ, so It’s better to have a little personality than to be perfect and boring.

^ and yea who here says they are perfect?? not me lol shit i mess up happens thats why it is called DJing LIVE

and yes technology does make it so that anybody can sound decent. but it also you have great technology why not make use of it and sound AWESOME, cough cough be mroe creative you song dropping MOFOS
DJRemixEnt 2:25 PM - 11 May, 2013
^ dis muthafucka right here...smdh
Jairen 9:08 PM - 11 May, 2013
I have no problem with dropping, it's just the douche's that won't stfu on the mic. After every song...

Now, in my eyes, a good set will have both blends and drops. The problem is, a lot of drop dj's don't bother to mix or just can't do it.

I prefer an all around dj that can do both. Dropping all night and yelling on the mic after every song gets old fast. Think about it. Who would you want to hear mix all night?

Kid Capri or Jazzy Jeff?
Joshua Carl 12:54 AM - 13 May, 2013
I think everyone one is on the same page here.
Same church, different aisles

But we all seem to agree there's dropping for effect, reaction,style, ect ect

Then there is dropping because you have no idea how to do anything else...and even then your drops are a off beat baby scratch and drop
DJRemixEnt 2:48 AM - 13 May, 2013
^ yeah, i guess the term drop all depends on where/how you were raised... cuz when i hear "drop" ....this:
Quote:
But we all seem to agree there's dropping for effect, reaction,style, ect ect
comes to mind.

and this:
Quote:
Then there is dropping because you have no idea how to do anything else...and even then your drops are a off beat baby scratch and drop
is "trainwrecking to me"
DJ'Que 3:12 AM - 13 May, 2013
Quote:
I treat my bar gig like a club gig. now when I drop a song its at a 8 year old party anything else I mix and blend. lot of la dj's just drop shit to like B hen on master of mix. they cant do shit else.
keep it mellow 8:03 PM - 13 February, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol no problem man, i figure you did. Imo i would play such CHILL song to open up the night but never at prime time..... i would play that bitch don't kill my by early to open up and warm the folks up cause well people love to hear "THERE SONG" but it is def not a tune for the prime hours

he has a PHD but spells they're "there"....what a douche
keep it mellow 8:04 PM - 13 February, 2018
lol see what i did to their discussion
keep it mellow 8:06 PM - 13 February, 2018
dropping can sound hell of better then blending. THERE's a time and place for eveything. keep doing what you do and it will all come to you one day. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
BrentMeder 9:55 AM - 7 November, 2019
Quote:

Both dropping (or cutting in) on the one and blending are both skills which require lots of practice so I don't buy that one is more skilful than the other. A good set should be using both of these transitions (and others) to create variety and control the energy of the dance floor. A lot also depends on the genre of music that you're playing e.g. music from the 50's to the 80's will generally not have a constant bpm (in part because of live drummers) and style varies considerably between different songs. You might be able to beat match some of them but it's often better, in this case, to drop in the new song "on the one"and keep the vibe and energy flowing. Best advice: keep on eye on your dance floor and transition appropriately to control the energy.
DTweed 5:23 AM - 10 November, 2019
Quote:

Quote:

I’m going to agree with you here dropping in a track requires more skills than mixing to do it effectively. Because you can’t just drop any track in any where. It has to be done right. Where as you can get away with a blend that’s meh but still work cause the crowd won’t know. But if you drop a track wrong oh trust people will know
BrentMeder 7:19 AM - 13 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I’m going to agree with you here dropping in a track requires more skills than mixing to do it effectively. Because you can’t just drop any track in any where. It has to be done right. Where as you can get away with a blend that’s meh but still work cause the crowd won’t know. But if you drop a track wrong oh trust people will know

Agree. Both require skill and practice but dropping is more scary because there is no room to hide whereas you can hide a bad blend more easily. Also dropping requires you to have all your faders open thus opening up another area for error. Use both, and other transitions, throughout your set, if appropriate, to control the energy and keep your dancers on the floor.
DJ Varmintbaby 9:11 PM - 17 November, 2019
The people in this thread that say you should mix everything are obviously newer DJs who only play modern music. Older tracks sometimes cannot be mixed. What about songs that are not on a 4/4 time pattern? Hmm? You're trying to clown someone else's DJing skills when you yourself are a noob and only play tracks from bpmsupreme.com or some shiz and think that's Djing. YOU CANNOT MIX EVERYTHING. Dropping is a valid option for bringing in a new song and there is a skill to it. Ask any seasonsed DJ and they will tell you this!!
deezlee 4:45 PM - 18 November, 2019
What songs do you drop on the dance floor that aren’t 4/4?
Ollieboy 7:36 PM - 18 November, 2019
It all comes down to knowing the song. You can't drop every song unless it has a familiar intro. ie. Jump Around by House of Pain where the 1st note of the song is actually as good as a hook.
d:raf 2:49 AM - 19 November, 2019
Quote:

MGMT-Electric Feel?
deezlee 4:23 AM - 19 November, 2019
Yeah that’s true I think that goes back and forth between 6/4 and 4/4.
I dunno if it’s a good example for this thread though, I blend it into the electric slide to extend the dance and I’ve never even noticed that it’s not 4/4. People keep on electric sliding to it as well. The 1/2 bar drum pattern makes it sound/feel like 4/4 for mixing and dancing.
popnwave 9:34 PM - 19 November, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

MGMT-Electric Feel?

I love that song, but oooh that makes it rough sometimes to even remotely try to mix in smoother. DROP TIME!
iamdjel 2:55 PM - 29 November, 2019
Its all about where you want to take the crowd emotionally. Hip-hop is geared for dropping but you have to be selective with changing tempo, you dont want people spilling their drinks while dancing. EDM is more mixing and blending, and groove, pop and r&b classics can be done either way skillfully.