Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
Dj Al'goodie 12:10 AM - 6 May, 2013
Always appreciate the tips! Malo aupito! 360 Queen Street AKL City
stevie o 1:12 AM - 6 May, 2013
Follow
DG FEKT 1:13 AM - 6 May, 2013
Wow this was pretty usefull. Thanks serato
Laz219 1:30 AM - 6 May, 2013
A few good ones in there, CMD+L would be really useful.
-DJRob... 2:06 AM - 6 May, 2013
Thanks LOGAN D...much needed tip!
djtra 3:49 AM - 6 May, 2013
GRACIAS BUENOS TIPS SALUDOS A TODOS ESPERO QUE SIGAN ENVIANDO MAS TIPS
serkan 6:19 AM - 6 May, 2013
Thank you for those "insiders" :)
Dj Roth 2:05 PM - 6 May, 2013
awesome
DJbryceA 5:24 PM - 6 May, 2013
thank u very much!
HittinSkinzTa2 8:18 PM - 6 May, 2013
Tracking
J.J. 9:08 PM - 6 May, 2013
Command + L. Very Useful. Thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 9:46 PM - 6 May, 2013
Quote:
Great tips!

Another great tip would be "invert colors" on a PC

START> MAGNIFIER > COGWHEEL OPTIONS > INVERT COLORS

This is just on Windows 7 right? Good tip!
Youngtee 1:03 AM - 9 May, 2013
OHHHH i need some post it notes
marvilles 10:33 PM - 12 May, 2013
Great Tips. Thanks
Dan Faceme 9:20 PM - 15 May, 2013
Thanks for the tips, always useful.

Is there a shortcut to activate selected DJ-FX without manually clicking 'ON' with mouse button?

Cheers
Dan
Serato, Support
Martin C 7:31 PM - 23 May, 2013
I don't think so! thats a nice idea though for those without MIDI controllers. Which keyboard keys would you link it to Dan?
DJ K-Ceaser 7:14 PM - 25 May, 2013
GRE8 TIPS!!! S/O to Rui K!!! That Tip Just Shaved Hours off of my File Cleansing Routine!! I showed all the DJ's @ my Club last night and they went Crazy lol, Also the tip from Logan D! Peace!
teemac111 12:55 AM - 1 June, 2013
tracked
ninjagaijin 5:09 AM - 1 June, 2013
Quote:
A few good ones in there, CMD+L would be really useful.

yep new one for me :)

Quote:
I don't think so! thats a nice idea though for those without MIDI controllers. Which keyboard keys would you link it to Dan?

some combo with 'e' if possible :) or 'f' key hehe
Dj Hi Def 2:11 PM - 1 June, 2013
Pro Tip: Use Hashtags (#tag) to tag tracks in your comment sections for easy searching.

Example: #NewYearsEve; #Opening; #LineDance; #ScratchTools

Let's you sort by something other then just the fields provided
ninjagaijin 2:27 PM - 1 June, 2013
Quote:
Pro Tip: Use Hashtags (#tag) to tag tracks in your comment sections for easy searching.

Example: #NewYearsEve; #Opening; #LineDance; #ScratchTools

Let's you sort by something other then just the fields provided

You can always use your own sorting methods within grouping as well. I usually just add additional notes. If you wanted LineDance tracks, I think a crate would suffice..
ninjagaijin 2:28 PM - 1 June, 2013
Also I don't have too many tracks with 'line dance' in the title or artist areas, so searching without the hash would work just fine for me :P

A tip that maybe some people don't use.. the round circle icon next to the info for each track in the track list, can be changed colour. I like to have set colours for different genres to see what things are at a glance..
Reggie Beas 3:42 PM - 1 June, 2013
Command + Shift + Delete deletes the music file from both Scratch Live and the hard drive at the same time
Dj Farhan 4:50 PM - 1 June, 2013
thank u all!
Frederic Choppin 6:56 PM - 1 June, 2013
thank u Serato team,
Matt C rating and Tom S crtates+SP6 tricks appreaciate it alot
Frank Spinatra 9:13 PM - 1 June, 2013
I use the colours to indicate which tracks have an accurate beat grid. Those I select as green. That way I know which tracks I can use to sync the bridge with.

I also use colours to indicate which tracks have swearing. I color them red so I don't play them by mistake at a festivals or corporate events.

Cheers,
Frank
www.mixcloud.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:06 AM - 2 June, 2013
Quote:

Quote:

some combo with 'e' if possible :) or 'f' key hehe

Yeah 'F' would be a good one. However 'F' is currently used for 'pitch up' for the right deck. command/control + F is 'find a track in your entire song library.'

'E' is used for 'pitch down' on the left deck, but there isn't anything currently for command/control + E, so that might be a go-oer.

I think one thing worth considering is that if there is a shortcut for opening the FX panel, there should be one for opening the SP-6, and the REC panel too at least, but maybe even for the Video and Ableton panels too. Ideally these shortcuts would all be in a row or close too each other so its kinda logical, but not necessary. You know they are MIDI mappable to open though right?

What other shortcuts do you think are missing?
ninjagaijin 3:03 PM - 2 June, 2013
option for or separate 'ctrl z' that takes you to where the track 'should' be in time with the gap accounted for.. in the case of blending mixes.. as opposed to back to where it was before you changed the track accidentally.. more a feature request I know :P
ninjagaijin 3:08 PM - 2 June, 2013
Quote:
I use the colours to indicate which tracks have an accurate beat grid. Those I select as green. That way I know which tracks I can use to sync the bridge with.

I also use colours to indicate which tracks have swearing. I color them red so I don't play them by mistake at a festivals or corporate events.

Cheers,
Frank
www.mixcloud.com

Here are my codes:

Pink - darkstep dnb
Green - jungle
Red - hip hop
Orange - trip hop
Purple - minimal
Yellow - reggae/dancehall
Blue - DnB / breakcore
Aqua - glitch / IDM

Black - no rhythm, extremely slow tempo etc
White - odd time sigs, variable tempo etc
WarpNote 5:08 PM - 3 June, 2013
I do it similar as you ninjagaijin:
Pink & Purple: vokalbased house, pop house
Yellow: Reggae & Ska
Orange: Classic Soul, general 60s music
Red: Hip Hop
Aqua: General Electronic: techno, tech house, drum & Bass etc
Blue: Rock
Dark Blue: Metal
WarpNote 5:10 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
SHIFT + CTRL/Command + UP/DOWN

Quote:
"Command/CTRL + SHIFT + F to search all when you're in a crate."

Thanks guys, these two I never used, the rest I use extensively.
WarpNote 5:21 PM - 3 June, 2013
Quote:
"I use !!! points for my 'star' ratings, and then have smart crates that pull these characters. Instant hit finding..."

I have a similar system, based on what I think works best on the floor, not personal preferences.
I have genre based smart crates, pulling the best ones in each genre.

Only I donĀ“t use "!!!" marks, I write "x Star" in the comment field:

"0 Star" - not yet rated, or about to be deleted from my Serato Lib

"1 Star" - a good tune (normally a little slow) for early hours, or a windown at some point

"2 Star" - a good more upbeat track, but no banger.

"3 Star" - stuff that people normally wanna dance to

"4 Star" - a real heater, should really move the crowd.

"5 Star" - Instant banger, should make people scream, high crowd response. Not many tracks make it into this category, and quite/most a few are "downgraded" after some rotation.

I never use the itunes lib in my SSL, as it makes SSL faster. But I set up smart lists in Itunes to find match my SSL star rating, that way I can sync itunes og and SSL rating. Ie I am able to rate songs when away from SSL, just using my iPod/iPhone/iPad, makes up for a good workflow when on the move.
ninjagaijin 6:21 AM - 9 June, 2013
A tip to quickly copy between drives/PCs..

Select tunes you want into a crate, select all the tunes, drag to a USB stick or external drive, after copying, drag BACK into the same crate in serato. Safe remove the drive/stick, remove and go to the laptop or other computer, stick it in, load serato, repeat dragging the files in the crate from the usb stick/drive into an internal drive in the computer/laptop, and drag those back into the same crate again.

This way you preserve the tags, cue points etc in the serato settings folder on the stick.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:26 AM - 9 June, 2013
Nice one ninjagaijin :)

We have an how-to article along the lines of what you are talking about: serato.com

Its got screenshots/instructions based around Serato DJ, but of course this can be done with any Serato software.
bigmix 11:19 PM - 31 December, 2014
In scratch live i hit a combination of keyboards shortcuts trying to find easter eggs and in doing that i made the wave show as a multitrack wave like Protools in the wave display window...i can see the drum hits and the vocals playing together vs one stereo wave....does anyone know how to change it back to the original wave display mode?
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:17 PM - 1 January, 2015
Command or control + click the waveform, or restart Serato DJ :D
bigmix 11:04 PM - 9 January, 2015
Thx Serato...I appreciate you getting back to me in a timely manner...thats cool...I did do that and it worked...bless up all DJ/Selacta