Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

ADD KEY/TRANSPOSE ADJUST KNOB AND/OR BUTTONS... C'MON THIS IS ESSENTIAL!!!

MPH 7:11 AM - 1 May, 2013
Dear Serato I will be moving to traktor if you do not add this incredibly important feature. You obviously have the means to adjust tempos without changing key, WE NEED the ability to change keys but not tempo... OUT of all of my feature requests this is the absolutely most essential feature... I know that we could categorize the keys and mix that way but for special bass loop tracks or some edm or especially in performing my own productions, it is essential that we have this creative feature.... Perhaps on ddj-sx holding shift and turning the endless encoder 4th fx knob on both sides could let me do this from the hardware... PLEASE tell me you will add this for the love of god!
Frederic Choppin 10:25 PM - 1 May, 2013
+1
ay MPH, I was also thinkin about extra KEY ADJUST knob/per deck. Key change helps alot when mixin instrumentals+acapellas, or just simply makin sample more adequate to music' style (4 eg: southern rap uses very low vocals, and contrary mixin hardcore I'd like to use high pitched vocals, wich I can't do with pitch fader, because it only changes sample duration).

IMHO even without this feature Serato can't be taken for granted for supportin midi controller' DJs.

shalom
MPH 11:28 PM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
+1
ay MPH, I was also thinkin about extra KEY ADJUST knob/per deck. Key change helps alot when mixin instrumentals+acapellas, or just simply makin sample more adequate to music' style (4 eg: southern rap uses very low vocals, and contrary mixin hardcore I'd like to use high pitched vocals, wich I can't do with pitch fader, because it only changes sample duration).

IMHO even without this feature Serato can't be taken for granted for supportin midi controller' DJs.

shalom

Frederic, I was literally thinking about this all night last night after posting this... I absolutely agree... I think it definitely is important enough of a feature to add an endless encoder knob for key change on each deck, (too bad this isn't available on serato dj and ddj-sx doesn't have it :-()perhaps above the trim or below the filter or eq. I have another idea of how to make it even better too: make the endless encoder have a click feel (like the browser) and this would adjust semi-tones... however push the knob in have it smooth and make that work for fine adjustments in pitch.... (could work the other way too, clicky feel when pushed in and smooth when just turning knob) Obviously we would want this to be an endless encoder so that when loading a new track it can either reset or go to a save preference... and definitely needs to have an led meter around it so that we know what level it is at...
Frederic Choppin 12:07 AM - 2 May, 2013
if key detection will be added and shown on track's info bar, then key changin should be easy to control. How? As same as there is current BPM, could be also current Key, there is enough room between BPM and Pitch Range to put current Key info.

My controller doesn't have no more extra knobs left :D but I have AKAI MPK mini which just have few knobs that I could use efficiently if I had the possibility to.
Gilbz 8:31 AM - 3 May, 2013
Yep +1
DJ GSOUND 4:33 PM - 4 May, 2013
yep +1
w00t! 7:53 AM - 31 May, 2013
Wow, this must be a joke! I read at djtechtools that Serato was not even planning to add key transpose to Serato DJ and I could _not_ believe it.
What are these guys thinking? If it's a joke it's not even funny. Now I can see Serato is not targeted at me at all.. bye bye Serato I'm not looking back.
Dr Toast 2:11 AM - 6 June, 2013
Yes, agreed. Key/Pitch shifter would be a good addition.
Mark Quest 12:49 PM - 6 June, 2013
hey, just an idea.. well, more like a compromise.. So I agree aswell - I would appreciate a Key change function on the controller for all the reasons stated above plus a few of own trademarked ones too (sorry - slipped into wanker mode. my bad).
Anyway, I was thinking if they at least implemented the key change function into Serato, maybe the could map the knob to the Beats Endless Encoder + Shift? I was thinking this would overcome the need for hardware mods on the SX.. LED's would be nice, but at least it's an endless encoder like most people seem to want & there's semi-useful markings around it to tell you where you're at too.. but more LED's are always better
Just an idea.

Cheers ;)
WarpNote 12:22 PM - 12 September, 2013
+1
julices 12:25 PM - 12 September, 2013
+1000
DP PEPITA 10:20 AM - 2 October, 2013
Hi Serato,

My suggestion for a realistic and quick implementation of KEY/TRANSPOSE :

1 - Let’s keep Mixed In Key do the Key detection. (MIK looks superior than built in key detection in DJ software today …)

2 - Most DJs use transpose mode only a couple time in a Gig so I believe a mouse click/slide is acceptable (if not possible on the HW controller)
So a “knob on the software” to move up and down by semi-ton should fit to most DJ needs

3 - Easy to midi map for advanced / strong users of Transpose

4 – Capability to choose the type on display : Abm / G#m and most important the Camelot wheel notation 8A / 8B …

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
A_Jack 1:50 PM - 2 October, 2013
+1

Nice feature
DJ Mada 2:44 AM - 23 October, 2013
Agreed +1
BeatWiz 11:09 PM - 27 October, 2013
+1

On NS6 you could map it to SHIFT + Pitch Bend +/-

But I would be happy if we just had a way to do it in the software.
NOPS91 12:46 AM - 6 December, 2013
+100 0000 000 0 00 0 0 0 0 00000
NOPS91 12:48 AM - 6 December, 2013
Serato have to add a transpose function :(
It's so basic....
julices 7:30 AM - 6 December, 2013
ADD IT, PLEASE!
joachimj 2:51 AM - 7 December, 2013
+1
Adrianotic 7:26 PM - 9 December, 2013
+1
deej808 8:24 AM - 11 December, 2013
I agree, +1. I'd like to see it as a Key Lock button, not so much slide.
djecek 1:58 PM - 11 December, 2013
I personally think that serato developers should look onto recordbox software.

1. There is implemented key analyzes. (there is only circle of fifths implemented, but for serato analyze camelot code would bi nice feature if thhis could be implemented)

2. Serato DJ could look forward and implement the key match feature which is availble in CDJ-2000nsx. On CDJ when you go thru you library there is a green box on key notation which indicates that loaded track will be on the same key or shifted on 4 or 5 notes (circle of fifths concept)

3. Very nice playlist feature that decrase font size to match column width. (minimum font size should be availble in setup tab)

4. Maybye that is my opinion but font type in ScratchLive and recordbox are more readable then that currently used in SeratoDJ.
WarpNote 5:28 PM - 17 December, 2013
FYI, Serato DJ has a different font, way better than rekordbox IMO. And dont get me started on the single thread analyze, what a drag to wait for all those tracks being analyzed. Serato is way ahead in that department. (use of system resources)
DJ Enc3phalon 4:54 PM - 15 January, 2014
Bit of an old post, but i'm surprised a key adjustment knob has not been implemented considering you already have the code written for how the key of a song does or does not change with the change of the pitch slider. Obviously I don't have access to your source code, so I cant give you a specific solution but there are only 2 logical ways I can think of that would allow you to attain linear key change with the pitch slider with keylock off and no pitch change with keylock on.

1. In this case I assume that the key of the song changes naturally with the change in the pitch slider in which case when keylock is enabled, you would or should have a procedure/function that lowers the key of the song linearly when increasing the pitch/tempo to compensate the natural rise in key.

Conversely, with keylock on, when lowering the pitch either the same procedure/function or another procedure/function would increase the key linearly when decreasing the pitch/tempo of the song to compensate the natural fall in key.

2. The second case would be if the song does not change in key naturally with the change in the pitch slider in which case with keylock off when increasing the pitch/tempo a function/procedure would be called to increase the key linearly.

When the pitch/tempo is lowered with keylock off, either the same function/procedure or a different one would be called that would lower the key linearly in relation to the position of the pitch slider.

In both cases we see that there are already functions to increase or decrease the key of song. It also is a linear function to the movement of the slider or knob it is mapped to.

Why not use this already written piece of code to implement key adjust and map it to a controller knob in combination with the shift key. It would definitely increase the size of the window of what songs can be mixed with what songs.

You don't have to implement displaying what key is being played on the screen. DJs can use their ears to do that. At least that's what I do if I use Traktor who have already have this feature as the OP has already mentioned. It just gives DJs more options. For instance if you mix "Count On Me" by Chase and Status to Eeaaoowwww (Stanton Warrior mix), it sounds a bit strange as they have different keys. Lower the Key of "Count On Me" slightly and the vocals of the two songs complement each other beautifully. You can hear it firsthand here:- soundcloud.com

Luckily, it's the first 2 songs of the mix so you don't have to sit through the entire mix. Hope the right eyes do fall upon my post and you do eventually introduce a key adjust feature.

P:)
DjMarcusD 5:03 AM - 21 January, 2014
Quote:
I personally think that serato developers should look onto recordbox software.

1. There is implemented key analyzes. (there is only circle of fifths implemented, but for serato analyze camelot code would bi nice feature if thhis could be implemented)

2. Serato DJ could look forward and implement the key match feature which is availble in CDJ-2000nsx. On CDJ when you go thru you library there is a green box on key notation which indicates that loaded track will be on the same key or shifted on 4 or 5 notes (circle of fifths concept)

3. Very nice playlist feature that decrase font size to match column width. (minimum font size should be availble in setup tab)

4. Maybye that is my opinion but font type in ScratchLive and recordbox are more readable then that currently used in SeratoDJ.
Axelv 6:12 PM - 22 January, 2014
+1
pueblofunky 7:13 AM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:

+1 ...

During library management on the desk at home (but also for me during djing) it is nothing better readable than the normal font (not bold) as in ScratchLive.

It is definitely a show stop for me to switch to Serato DJ 1.6 and buy a SL2,3,4. I also prefer the SL1 + SSL although in the club is a DJM 900 SRT - to use with Serato DJ.

Please make an option between normal / bold for library + crates.

It should be easy to implement because you also have made an option between gray and blue color for a played track ...

Thanks a lot!
DJ Agatón 8:59 AM - 4 February, 2014
This Feature will BRING more people to Serato. I got 2 friends who use KEY-matching also to make beautiful mixes.

I use VDJ to change KEY, record it, then use that new track in SDJ. (annoying)

I'd pay a shiny paper for:

SERATO KEY +/- CHANGE.

+1 for all you sons of Pitches.

Who needs knobs, Serato already gave us MIDI mapping.
Dj Wunder 11:56 PM - 4 February, 2014
+1
BeatWiz 11:54 PM - 5 February, 2014
The new Pitch N Time plugin for SDJ 1.6 brings studio quality pitch and key technology to SDJ. Assume the code to transpose the key comes for free. Would love to see key shift as an added feature when you have the Pitch N Time extension enabled.
-=NzUnO=- 1:36 PM - 1 May, 2014
Is it possible now, in "SERATO DJ 1.6.2" to Change Key without changing BPM (Transpose) or not ???

... I can´t believe it, is there is no possiblity or trick doing this with Pioneer DDj-SR / novation twitch controller ??? We live in the year 2014 and no KEY CHANGE in SERATO DJ 1.6.2 !?
I Hope, I was too stupid to find the solution.
If there is no solution then the question is , would it be added and when ??? If it´s not possible or will be added in near future , I stop working With SERATO DJ and go back to the roots , my Tr...orDjPro where it´s possible and i can make my own settings for my devices.
I hope someone posts me a solution. Thx !
einfachFelix 3:13 PM - 12 July, 2014
I just bought this programm thinking something like this would be standart :| .. well fuck !

how about using the slider as keychanger while pressing shift or sth. ?

btw. is it planned to get this feature done ? .. I think I´ll get myself a traktor license -.-
Dj Wunder 5:19 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
I just bought this programm thinking something like this would be standart :| .. well fuck !

how about using the slider as keychanger while pressing shift or sth. ?

btw. is it planned to get this feature done ? .. I think I´ll get myself a traktor license -.-

You should totally get yourself a Traktor license
DJGongshow 11:19 AM - 8 August, 2014
+1
DJ Compiler 4:44 AM - 12 August, 2014
+1
DJ Agatón 1:30 AM - 30 September, 2014
So what is hapenenen? Are they moving on this?
DJ Antenna 5:32 AM - 30 September, 2014
I would also like this feature added.

It can give DJs the freedom Live Bands have to perform songs and cross over to different keys.

I mean can you imagine changing the key just like hitting horns in a funk song by combining transpose key and cues?
Watchwww.youtube.com

Controllerism leads the DJ to performing just more like a musician, and a lot of people would like to flirt with this idea so I guess that is why some people may feel attracted to switch Serato for Traktor.

I love Serato cause it's simple to use and implement when it comes to the relationship between hardware and software, but recently I'm disappointed in Serato DJ because it's less vinyl friendly compared to Serato Scratch Live.

This is also an issue I'd like to address.