Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Serato Video Album Art Effect with Title Bar

2.Um.@.X 4:17 AM - 30 April, 2013
I would like to suggest that there should be an random slide direction on the album art of each track we play. That way, if there is no video of the said track SERATO can make it a simple random direction slide show of the album music art currently played.
djnak 1:58 PM - 30 April, 2013
for the life of me I can not figure out why a few want a tittle bar feature...this is not VDJ....and that shit was WACK.....

Also you realize that if you fill your media crate Serato will randomly pick videos from that crate for non-video tracks....(Not quite sure how it works stopped using vsl before this feature was introduced)
DJ DisGrace 3:15 PM - 30 April, 2013
I have to agree with djnak. Having a static image on the screen is weaksauce, even if it is "animated" (it's still just a jpeg).
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:57 PM - 30 April, 2013
Is it that big of if a deal? Let Serato give him the option if you don't like it don't use if you do use it....
DJ DisGrace 4:23 PM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
Is it that big of if a deal? Let Serato give him the option if you don't like it don't use if you do use it....

It's a big deal if they spend time working on a trivial feature like this while other major features are lacking.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:52 PM - 30 April, 2013
With ME piggy backing (which is what 90% of the people here use) I doubt they even spend that much time with SV ......
djnak 7:28 PM - 30 April, 2013
Quote:
With ME piggy backing (which is what 90% of the people here use) I doubt they even spend that much time with SV ......

Quote:

It's a big deal if they spend time working on a trivial feature like this while other major features are lacking.

This ....I would rather see sv put some effort into things that might make me use the platform again....not features to help people who do NOT have a good enough video collection and need visuals and such to get the through the night....

Personally when I started spinning video I made a decision to SPIN VIDEO if I dont have a certain track I made an edit of some sort (Official vid/unofficial vid) Ill admit that in 08 the edit might not have looked very clean...but still way better than album art/ tittle bars ect.....
2.Um.@.X 7:16 AM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
for the life of me I can not figure out why a few want a tittle bar feature...this is not VDJ....and that shit was WACK.....

Also you realize that if you fill your media crate Serato will randomly pick videos from that crate for non-video tracks....(Not quite sure how it works stopped using vsl before this feature was introduced)

I am aware that this is not VIRTUAL DJ. I am not aware that this feature was present in VDJ, if it is. I am just suggesting if this would be possible, but the feature that I am looking for is somewhat like these two links....

Watchwww.youtube.com

and

Watchwww.youtube.com

I do not want to make music videos but to promote a song you are playing to the crowd with visuals. I am not asking too much but this would also help promote DJ/PRODUCERS on their art in making music, especially those DJs who remixes.
2.Um.@.X 7:40 AM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:

Personally when I started spinning video I made a decision to SPIN VIDEO if I dont have a certain track I made an edit of some sort (Official vid/unofficial vid) Ill admit that in 08 the edit might not have looked very clean...but still way better than album art/ tittle bars ect.....

Like you said, it is your opinion. I congratulate you for giving more effort on making videos with your music collection.

I am only suggesting, not downgrading any updates. Not everyone likes to see random videos of a certain track with no particular reason or a video with no sense at all.

But what about those users who has no idea about video editing? What about those who only can only afford a NUMARK MIXTRACK PRO with SERATO DJ 1.1 with VIDEO? Would you still promote yourself to them "USE VDJ INSTEAD OF USING SERATO"?

Instead of trying to say "THIS IS NOT VDJ S#!+ .... THAT S#!+ IS WHACK", try listening other people who are using the software YOU also using. We, DJs, have their own style of mixing, style of music, and style of musical instrument.
phatbob 8:05 AM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
But what about those users who has no idea about video editing?

Those users should put the time and effort into learning how to do it.

And if they aren't willing to do that, they should probably leave video to those who are, as there are too many people out there doing it half-assed already.

It's very quick and simple to make a video of the artwork for a track with some basic Ken Burns movement on it, if that's all you want to display. Personally, I wouldn't be satisfied with that, but each to his own.
DJMark 8:23 AM - 1 May, 2013
Quote:
I would like to suggest that there should be an random slide direction on the album art of each track we play. That way, if there is no video of the said track SERATO can make it a simple random direction slide show of the album music art currently played.

Leaving aside all the legitimate criticisms of this idea...

It certainly wouldn't take much video-editing skills (or time) to create a 10/20/30-whatever second loop animated as you describe in video editing software, then just associate it with the track. With little extra effort you could dress it up with some easy-to-get video loops so it's not as dreadfully boring as the two examples you linked.

Learning something new (especially toward such an easily-attainable goal) is always a more productive approach then complaining about some feature that may never get added.
2.Um.@.X 5:13 AM - 3 May, 2013
One of my concern about the idea was what if the SERATO user has the minimum requirements in using the software and when playing a video through an output source, the video would be somehow blurry or stutters. At least the idea may be feasible for a SERATO VIDEO EFFECT.
phatbob 7:05 AM - 3 May, 2013
Quote:
One of my concern about the idea was what if the SERATO user has the minimum requirements in using the software and when playing a video through an output source, the video would be somehow blurry or stutters. At least the idea may be feasible for a SERATO VIDEO EFFECT.

NO
DJRemixEnt 8:47 PM - 3 May, 2013
Quote:
What about those who only can only afford a NUMARK MIXTRACK PRO with SERATO DJ 1.1 with VIDEO?

Quote:

not tryin to be a dick or anything... but why dont you seriously read some of the threads in this discussion.

there is alot of helpful information on the Video DJ industry,you could really educate yourself on. everything from basic editing, to legit video pools and places to get high quality visual graphics, to softwares tools that work well alongside Serato Video/ME.

im not gonna front, i started off on the wrong foot with video... ripping shitty quality youtube rips and associating them with audio tracks. but then i actually read alot of the content in this discussion and gained a world of knowledge.

i can almost guarantee if you take some time and dig through these threads and learn what Video DJing is all about... you could def make you an the audiences video experience alot better than this:

Quote:
to promote a song you are playing to the crowd

call me old school, but isnt that what the microphone is for? connect with the crowd verbally and let em know about the new hot track you found?
Code:E 4:03 AM - 4 May, 2013
Quote:

Quote:
to promote a song you are playing to the crowd

call me old school, but isnt that what the microphone is for? connect with the crowd verbally and let em know about the new hot track you found?

A lot of the time I'm mixing to fast to be able to pic up the mic and do that. Plus it gets really annoying when you hear the dj every single track.
DJRemixEnt 9:17 AM - 4 May, 2013
Quote:
Plus it gets really annoying when you hear the dj every single track.

trust me im not talkin every single track...no kid capris here!...lol

i started djin back in the vinyl era, and introducing a track was part of the breakin process, cuz you had to submit feedback reports to the pools back in the day... i guess thats somethin thats stuck with me through the years.
Code:E 5:41 PM - 4 May, 2013
Quote:
introducing a track was part of the breakin process,

I still do this today. I always tell people when a track is brand new never been played.
Joshua Carl 4:11 PM - 8 May, 2013
Certainly helps, pre video if you dropped a track that was by a popular artist it would get accepted quicker knowing "oh hey, this is the new air supply joint"

Truth be told, to be remarkable in the video DJ game there are no shortcuts or free rides.
If you want to be just average, or do just enough to get by, plan on a very stagnant career.

I personally have never been one to knock somebody else's ideas on implementing new features into any DVS. But one that would appear to be a replacement for the age old art of collecting your content seems like it would be something that could be called a shortcut...
And shortcuts on the whole are no good for the entire community of video DJs.

Unless someone is so far ahead of what is coming out from labels, there is now pretty much a video for everything, unless you are strictly underground...and the. You DEF don't just want text and an image.
DJMisterE 10:55 PM - 12 May, 2013
Woah what did I just log in to?
Dokumentary 3:17 AM - 24 May, 2013
Also not tryin to be a dick but also look into the people who have replied to your OP. These are the premiere DJs in the video game. Joshua Carl has done more for upcoming video DJs than anyone out there through his Video Report, his online videos and most importantly this forum. There is no better repository for info on this subject than right here and the top VDJs in the world will answer any question you have (even the most basic) as long as they feel you're on the right track. A mediocre VDJ is worse than a shit DJ so you kinda have a responsibility to step up your game when dealing with video. Every single video DJ should have at least a basic understanding of how to create .MP4 or .mov with graphics or video for their .MP3s as well as how to encode properly. BTW, I have no prob with your feature request. Just saying there's better options out there that will help you personalize your vids and show that you're more creative than the next guy/girl. Listen to DJRemixEnt's advise and learn from past forum posts. I'll be happy to help as well.
Code:E 3:27 AM - 24 May, 2013
Video report is still going. Sorry josh I love idea I just found them to be too long and boring with not enough meat to them.
Joshua Carl 5:04 AM - 24 May, 2013
I used to say the same exact thing when editing about the episodes.

Tha ks for the love Dok, I greatly appreciate it.

We haven't shot a new show since Las Vegas
Eloy is sitting on 4 episodes from AC, and prob 2 from LV

ITs funny, once your on "the other side" you see what's at people were looking for the show.... Amazingly, (and this boggle my mind) people actually liked Eloy and I Talked about non-video stuff even more than putting out as much new information as we could, we haven't really shot an informational episode and almost a year… Say not a week goes by without an email or a comment when it's coming back

We always talk about it, we want to do it, one of the things we ran into was that as of 2013 the air technology for the most part is kind of plateaued sure there's new stuff coming out here and there but nothing really groundbreaking

Of course for not ruling out the show, we were approached by a small network to broaden the scope of the show and continue it, that's why the show switch to HD after the first couple episodes, but we sort of just let that fizzle… Probably a bad idea?