DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

technics gold plated turntables?

click 3:00 AM - 1 February, 2006
Sorry for being a dunce, but what does gold plated mean? Is it like gold plated necklaces that rub of in the shower?

I have no experience really with gold plated things. The lowest I have gone is 10k, which I believe is the lowest one can go, and have never had experience buying gold plated things.

I have seen products that are 14k gold plated, 18k gold plated but never bought them. But I have seen somethings that are sold as gold lose there goldness

The turntables are gold plated but it doesn't say what karat. Has anyone had experience with gold plated stuff in general, and more specifically, with technics gold plated tables? Does the 'gold' wear off?
Dj Karl-R 3:59 AM - 1 February, 2006
they wont rub off lol at least not from what i seen... im sure it can happen with the right conditions
click 4:02 AM - 1 February, 2006
Actually, i am more curious about the start stop button and the pitch slider. After years of use, won't they wear out?
DJ Silk 4:48 AM - 1 February, 2006
I have a pair. I believe it's 18k and I'll let you know in about 10 years if it wears out. :-)

I keep mine in the house but the other people that I know that own them have them as trophies.
anewsome 6:25 AM - 1 February, 2006
in my opinion, you had better be a damn good dj if you are rockin gold plated turntables. anything less and you are just frontin',.. either that or you have too much money.
click 6:29 AM - 1 February, 2006
It's true, you HAVE TO be a virtuoso to rock the golds..
DJ GaFFle 12:11 PM - 1 February, 2006
I'm afraid to chunk out the loot for them for fear Technics will come out with a newer turntable model with something like more torque or replaceable RCA's...
punosion 3:24 PM - 1 February, 2006
Those gold-plated turntables better have gold-plated plugs... ;)
DJ Irv 4:44 PM - 1 February, 2006
I have a pair. They are beautiuful. I haven't gotten any of the gold to com off yet. Not sure if they are worth 900USD a piece.
anewsome 5:13 PM - 1 February, 2006
yes Irv, but can you *rock* them muthas? you best be able to. anyone spending $900 on turntables had better be holdin it down well.
DJ Irv 5:27 PM - 1 February, 2006
for me to say I'm nice would not be my style. I hold it down and rolled with some famous battle DJ's and had no problem keeping up and giving them ideas for routines. My current crew is KutMasterzCrew and I think they are ill and well rounded my old crew - turntable krash Dummiez.
DJ Irv 5:27 PM - 1 February, 2006
for me to say I'm nice would not be my style. I hold it down and rolled with some famous battle DJ's and had no problem keeping up and giving them ideas for routines. My current crew is KutMasterzCrew and I think they are ill and well rounded my old crew - turntable krash Dummiez.
DJ Silk 5:44 PM - 1 February, 2006
Quote:
in my opinion, you had better be a damn good dj if you are rockin gold plated turntables. anything less and you are just frontin',.. either that or you have too much money.

Well...lets just say that if I wasn't good enough to have them then I wouldn't.
DJ Irv 5:47 PM - 1 February, 2006
Now on to the subject of hate. No need to judge people with nice stuff or bling. That's their business. I don't care if you drive 911 Turbo Targa if you don't race. I don't care if you have a hot girl and your ass is ugly. That's more power to ya. Not trying to offend anyone, just sayin'. I ain't hatin' on nobody because they got dough or don't have skills.
click 6:10 PM - 1 February, 2006
Good point irv.

It is disguised envy.

It translates to why he has, what is needed to deserve it, in relation to others that supposedly deserve it through skill that can't afford it. That is always the relationship.

It is the notion that all things good must go together and all things bad must go together, and if u mix them you are throwing off the world's equilibrium.
DJ Silk 6:17 PM - 1 February, 2006
Good stuff Irv,
I was kind of feeling that way but didn't know how to express it.
I understand the frustration though. I know quite a few guys who have top of the line shit and could blend to of the same instrumentals together if their lives depended on it. But...I don't hate on the fact that they have nice stuff.

If you want something then get it! Life is short and not everything that you attain has to meritted by skill.
anewsome 6:37 PM - 1 February, 2006
Well Irv I have a 911 Carrera, it isn't a turbo but cats hate on me for that believe it or not. I can rock a 911 Carrera with no problem. I can't rock a set of gold plated turntables. It's not that I can't afford them, I can. Maybe when my skills are at that level I would buy a pair of flashy tables. Right now I'm just trying to get there. Ya heard!
DJ Silk 7:02 PM - 1 February, 2006
anewsome my advice to you is that if you want a pair then I would pick them up. They only make so many of them and then that's it.
Mine never leave my studio. One of these days I'll post a pick of my set up.
Righteous 8:10 PM - 1 February, 2006
I assume you guys are talkin about the gold ones that you can buy, and not the ones from the DMCs? Cause THOSE are the REAL gold turntables.
Righteous 8:11 PM - 1 February, 2006
Check it- www.dmcworld.com
DJ Irv 8:43 PM - 1 February, 2006
Those are completely gold plated. I heard Q gave one to his dad to play records on. ha ha ha. I spoke with A-Track a long time ago and he said he keeps them in the box away from site. I have never asked Craze what he does with them, but he should have 6 all together.
anewsome 9:14 PM - 1 February, 2006
If had six of them, I would build a DJ desk in the shape of a U and just put them all around me for no particular reason.
DJ Silk 9:17 PM - 1 February, 2006
Actually I would like to have another pair and the matchin technic's mixer and have it set up downstairs in my living room.
Unfortunately the didn't make a limited edition mixer this time around.
I know someone who has the mixer and he will not sell it to me!!!! He doesn't use it. It just sits on a pile of records.
ohhh the pain and agony!!!!
DJ Silk 9:20 PM - 1 February, 2006
my fault...they do..although it's the DMC edition.
DJ Irv 9:23 PM - 1 February, 2006
I use to have the 1200 mixer. It fader was super flawed. But I did manage to make so great mods on the mixer. If you oil them and bridge the fader you can get a few months out of the fader.
DJ Irv 9:24 PM - 1 February, 2006
i also put a hamster switch in the damn thing.
DJ Irv 9:26 PM - 1 February, 2006
i would gladly trade my 1200LTD's for a TTM57
sixxx 9:30 PM - 1 February, 2006
DJ Irv,

I had a 1200 mixer as well. I got rid of it as soon as I got the chance. The fader was crap. It would start bleeding in about 1 month after being replaced. No wonder it came with 2 extra faders neatly packed inside.
DJ Silk 9:38 PM - 1 February, 2006
Yeah...I just wanted it for show.
Eventually I want to display them instead of use them.
DJ Irv 9:48 PM - 1 February, 2006
the fader on the 54 is very closely related to the 1200 fader. They are both made by panasonic. the main difference in the RANE version is that the fader is bridged (that's why it only has 3prongs) and it is oiled from factory. Oiling the technics fader before you use it would have gotten you about 8 months of use out of it. That's a huge difference. I remember I lent mine to Craze and Develope to practice for the 98ITF and they wanted to use my new fader. The popped it in dry (no oil at all) it lasted 1 week.
anewsome 10:51 PM - 1 February, 2006
This guy can rock gold plated turntables:

www.djdomination.com

But that is because he is the best DJ in the world.
click 1:13 AM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
This guy can rock gold plated turntables:

www.djdomination.com

But that is because he is the best DJ in the world.

cool stuff.. but should get a better looking web siste.. lol
joshua 2:00 AM - 2 February, 2006
can any of these guys rock some gemini belt drives though, or a tape deck? lol.
i was reading an interview with dj spooky and that's how he started cutting was by using tape decks and like an old hifi record player, doing some funky shit.
THAT is some skill :-P.
Josh
click 4:29 AM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
can any of these guys rock some gemini belt drives though, or a tape deck? lol.
i was reading an interview with dj spooky and that's how he started cutting was by using tape decks and like an old hifi record player, doing some funky shit.
THAT is some skill :-P.
Josh

I am freakin thankful I started (not technically) on 1200s...
DJ_X_Trodinaire 4:34 AM - 2 February, 2006
^^ I started with a Fisher Tape Deck Pyramid Mixer and A fisher Automatic Belt drive Turntable press the button and there goes the auto cue lol
DJ Silk 4:38 AM - 2 February, 2006
I started on a home stereo turntable and a technic something or other that was belt driven and had a dial pitch control. I would use my fingers to control the speed and I got really good beat mixing.
When i got my 1200's 6 months later i was a beast! I'm thankfull for starting out like that. It taught me to pay attention to what I was doing and made me truly appreciate my 1200's.
anewsome 5:17 AM - 2 February, 2006
Before I got my first club residency in 1986, I was doing "pause" mixes with a double auto-reverse cassette deck. I defintely could not afford 1200s in 1986. But of course I had them at the club when I started there. Pause mixes. Dang, that brings back some memories.
click 5:53 AM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
I started on a home stereo turntable and a technic something or other that was belt driven and had a dial pitch control. I would use my fingers to control the speed and I got really good beat mixing.
When i got my 1200's 6 months later i was a beast! I'm thankfull for starting out like that. It taught me to pay attention to what I was doing and made me truly appreciate my 1200's.

I (technically) stared on belt drives (when herbie hancock's "rock it" came out), then the technics with the dial that you speak of. I was speaking of when my obsession began, and also in front of audiences. I started playing in front of people on 12s. Although a few people i knew played 4 years without 12s.
DJ Silk 4:23 PM - 2 February, 2006
Ahhh click...so you know!!
That's what's up. I love this forum.

I remember having like 6 records and finding hard to imagine ever having a full crate of records.
oooohhhh the good old days.
joshua 4:53 PM - 2 February, 2006
that's what i'm talking about, that's true skills....
Josh
panchito 5:44 PM - 2 February, 2006
you guys are bringing back some memories of my first set up one of my turntables was fully automatic deck that if you hit the wrong button or let the record get to the end it would pick up the tone arm automaticly and start at the begening of the record again the process took about 20 seconds and once it started you couldn't stop it & you know when your trying to mix 20 seconds can seem very very long.

[IMG]i18.photobucket.com[/IMG]
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:22 PM - 2 February, 2006
yo panchito, did you use pledge to polish the wood :)

just kidding...my first amp (my dad's) i used on gigs had wood trim too.

my first official gig was at our junior high party (80' something) where i used a bunch of jamz on tape cassettes i recorded off the radio.

but i do remember playing a bunch of 45s (from different classmates) back in '78 on a ttable incased with it's own speaker at a elementary school (last day of school)
panchito 6:51 PM - 2 February, 2006
LOL thats funny Mike I had on of those tts also I remember messing it up cus I took it apart to try to hook it up to a receiver cus it wasn't loud enough.
prof. rockwell 7:01 PM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
Now on to the subject of hate. No need to judge people with nice stuff or bling. That's their business. I don't care if you drive 911 Turbo Targa if you don't race. I don't care if you have a hot girl and your ass is ugly. That's more power to ya. Not trying to offend anyone, just sayin'. I ain't hatin' on nobody because they got dough or don't have skills.

I agree with you on this, but let me ask you this: when was the last time the Olympics put up ltd. edition gold medals for sale? Hell, I always wanted to be an olympic swimmer, why don't I just go down to the gift shop and buy me a medal for the 100meter freestyle?

I was personally bummed when Technics put them out, because the OLD gold plated awards they gave looked more like the LE than the new all gold ones. (correct me if I'm wrong)
click 8:11 PM - 2 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you on this, but let me ask you this: when was the last time the Olympics put up ltd. edition gold medals for sale? Hell, I always wanted to be an olympic swimmer, why don't I just go down to the gift shop and buy me a medal for the 100meter freestyle?

I was personally bummed when Technics put them out, because the OLD gold plated awards they gave looked more like the LE than the new all gold ones. (correct me if I'm wrong)

I think what your talking is winning them in competitions, but that isn't the case; nor should we demand that that, or its equivalent (mad skillz), be the case for people to be allowed to buy them. The matter that is hard to swallow is that people are allowed to buy them.

They do, however, have a lot of commemoration paraphernalia that people can buy -- stamps, coins, coffee mugs, records, guitars, and baseballs. You don't hear people complaining that you shouldn't be able to buy a world series ball unless you played in the world series, or you shouldn't be able to buy a Hendrix guitar, unless you play like him.

Why the envy??
anewsome 8:28 PM - 2 February, 2006
Man you guys are killing me with your wooden gear takes. Yeah, I might have *owned* some gear with pledged wooden sides but I never rocked any parties with that ish. Too freaking funny. I'm trying to remember that *RECEIVER* I had back in the day with wooden sides. That was back in the day when you would judge a reciver by how silky smooth the tuning knob was. I think it was a Pioneer and the tuning knob was straight butter,.. it would glide the tuning needle across the FM dial like silk.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 8:47 PM - 2 February, 2006
speaking of receivers, i still remember when i first saw my uncle's dope home stereo ...while everyone was eating in the garage or dining room, i was in the living room peeping the setup...i noticed (i think i was like 7 or something), you know how typical curious kids are.... (of course everything was powered down)...i noticed the GIGANTIC volume knob was at 'not at zero' (but was positioned at the infinite symbol)...of course i knew nothing of what that symbol meant, so i dialed it fully clockwise. when the time came where he drew all the other uncles over to check out his new setup, once he pressed the 'on' button....the woofers were like "BOOOOOM"! ....that's when i did that 'exit stage left' number. i never confessed...man, now i feel bad (wonder if he'd remember if i told him now).
DJ Irv 8:52 PM - 2 February, 2006
I just cracked the f*&k up in my seat Mike. You are too funny. "To infinity and beyond - BOOOOM!"
DJ Silk 10:30 PM - 2 February, 2006
The pic in the middle is the first time that I ever had head phones on.
www.djsilk.net
anewsome 11:33 PM - 2 February, 2006
Damn these people are feelin nostalgic.
prof. rockwell 2:04 AM - 3 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think what your talking is winning them in competitions, but that isn't the case; nor should we demand that that, or its equivalent (mad skillz), be the case for people to be allowed to buy them. The matter that is hard to swallow is that people are allowed to buy them.

They do, however, have a lot of commemoration paraphernalia that people can buy -- stamps, coins, coffee mugs, records, guitars, and baseballs. You don't hear people complaining that you shouldn't be able to buy a world series ball unless you played in the world series, or you shouldn't be able to buy a Hendrix guitar, unless you play like him.

Why the envy??

It's not envy, it's just humility. The only reason people are envious is because we live in a covetous society.
click 2:42 AM - 3 February, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why the envy??

It's not envy, it's just humility. The only reason people are envious is because we live in a covetous society.

What do you mean it is humility?
t. mallis 2:46 AM - 3 February, 2006
gold plated turntables are corny .. use regular ones