DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Network Drive.....

JBoogz 1:47 PM - 20 April, 2013
Not sure if this has been asked before, but I'm curious to know if this is at all posible.

Can I set up a network hard drive and have access to the files on that drive between two computers running different DJ software?

I am setting up a permanent installation in which we have a windows computer running Virtual DJ, which is used to run blended playlists during the day, and an iMac which has Scratch live and is used in the evenings for live DJs. We are hoping to just put new music on the network drive when we download new stuff, and then have that available on both computers.

Thanks for the help!
DJ Dac 6:34 PM - 20 April, 2013
i dont think there would be any issues as long as only one computer at a time is using the network drive, i think it would get super laggy if you had two computers pulling data at the same time.
Taipanic 9:24 PM - 20 April, 2013
You might have issues with needing a network drive compatible for both Windows & OSX. I think it would be best to use another mac for the VDJ machine, pick up a Mac Mini for $600.00
DJ DisGrace 9:27 PM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:
You might have issues with needing a network drive compatible for both Windows & OSX. I think it would be best to use another mac for the VDJ machine, pick up a Mac Mini for $600.00

I've never had problems accessing a Windows drive on my Mac via a network. It was part of my workflow for years downloading > transferring > tagging and back to my Mac.
DJYoshi 3:44 PM - 23 April, 2013
I use an iOmega NAS Device. RAID 5 over 4 drives w/ a hot swap.
it's the cloud edition so yes I use 2 pc's in the studio and all of my macbook pros and even ipads can connect and pull files and even stream

also if you're formatting an external drive (non network) just format as a NTFS and get a NTFS read/write for your mac.

I picked up the NAS for something like $550 on Amazon last year.
DouggyFresh 6:13 PM - 23 April, 2013
We have a Western Digital My Book Live at the house, never had any trouble with Linux, Mac or PC seeing it...
Code:E 6:37 PM - 23 April, 2013
I don't see any problems as long as it is setup right. and you use a good drive.
To deal with the speed issue I would use a Raid, maybe 4 1TB 7200rpm drives.
I would also do it over a wired network. And lastly i would put the music for the day time in its own folder and if there is music to be used my both and if at anytime it is possible that both could be playing I would have 2 copies of those tracks.
JBoogz 5:03 PM - 24 April, 2013
Thanks for all the help!