Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato Stutter Effect Help

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ Tecniq 7:05 PM - 21 September, 2008
Hi, I've been studying the stutter effect in serato but in this clip below he actually does it without creating a loop? Is this only for the 57? Cause I can do the stutter effect but only if I've made a loop and sometimes the stutter effect doesn't work at times for me why is this? I've tried to do the stutter effect on acapella's and it never works why? Please enlighten me
DJ Tecniq 7:06 PM - 21 September, 2008
crap sorry forgot to post the clip link.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Konix 7:08 PM - 21 September, 2008
The track has to have a tagged BPM value in order for the auto loops and the stutter loop to work. That's my video by the way :)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:28 PM - 22 September, 2008
yes, you'll need to have the overviews built and the proper bpm info on the song. It will use that math when creating the auto loop.

Did this help you out?
DJ Tecniq 8:22 PM - 22 September, 2008
Quote:
yes, you'll need to have the overviews built and the proper bpm info on the song. It will use that math when creating the auto loop.

Did this help you out?
Actually I think I did it wrong, I was hitting alt + T or G at the same time. I learned that if I hold down alt then press T or G it works perfectly w/o even looping. I've found out that what I was doing before by pressing alt and T at the same time it would get rid of my stored loop and I'd have to create a loop over & over etc... By the way konix a great video you did it helped me learn alot quicker. Thanks for the help though guys.
DJ Tecniq 6:22 PM - 1 October, 2008
Ok, new problem but it does have to do with what's in the thread.

K, I recently lost all my mp3 files on my c drive, I had to reformat & start all over again. Luckily I did back up everything on scratch live to my ext drive. Before this I was using version 1.8.1 I have now upgraded to 1.8.2 latest version and now I can't do the serato stutter effect not only this it saved all my files & cue points but it does nothing when I use my cue points in the scratch live player. I have everything d/c but before all this happened I could hit cue points and do the stutter effect now none of that works? Why is this? Should I go back to version 1.7.1
DJ Tecniq 6:23 PM - 1 October, 2008
I meant go back to 1.8.1 sorry Please help!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:51 PM - 1 October, 2008
stutter effect? Do you have "playback keys use shift" checked?

Try rescanning your tags in Scratchlive, that might help the cue points being found.
DJ Tecniq 8:48 PM - 1 October, 2008
damn i think it was cause I didn't have playback keys use shift checked. It found my cue points perfectly fine but when I press my cue points it does nothing. I'll try it with playback keys use shift checked. TY
DJ Tecniq 8:50 PM - 1 October, 2008
Actually that didn't work at all, playback keys use shift was checked already. My cue points still don't work when I press them.
Konix 8:52 PM - 1 October, 2008
You need to UNCHECK the playback keys use shift option.
DJ Tecniq 9:00 PM - 1 October, 2008
crap. sorry trying now..
DJ Tecniq 9:03 PM - 1 October, 2008
Worked* it was cause I have that checked. works fine now. I also wanted to know how do you get an accurate bpm is there some sort of program. The stutter effect(easter egg) only works when them bpm is tagged correctly right?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:09 PM - 1 October, 2008
First "re-scan ID3 tags" in the set-up / library tab. Then you need to disconnect the hardware and check "set auto bpm", select the proper range and then build your overviews on that song. This process will give you the accurate bpm
DJ Tecniq 9:29 PM - 1 October, 2008
Quote:
First "re-scan ID3 tags" in the set-up / library tab. Then you need to disconnect the hardware and check "set auto bpm", select the proper range and then build your overviews on that song. This process will give you the accurate bpm
So serato can't process the bpm's for all of my songs?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:52 PM - 1 October, 2008
if you want it on every song, do the same process above. I though you had only a few files missing it.

Scratchlive can calculate bpms if you give it an accurate range. you can also tap them if you want.