DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Todays Scratch Live v.s. 1 Year ago- in the box?

TJ-Darkdise 3:55 AM - 29 January, 2006
Hi All

I am on the verge of getting a Scratch live setup w/in the next 5 days! My local DJ store is selling the kit for $549 or so (US funds).

That is almost e-bay prices, and I could get it on the spot, but how can I tell if the store version is most current version now, or that it has not been on the shelf for a year and has old software and version 1 vinyl?

I guess what I am asking is, w/out necessarily opening the box, can I even tell by some outside indicators (like a barcode, or sticker), if a shrink wrapped store version today has stuff like 2nd edition vinyl, the latest firmware on the USB interface (does it have firmware?), and the latest software?

I did not notice anything that made it stand out, but I am wrong to ask someone to open it before I buy it to make sure it’s the latest (or at least in the ball park) and that it works?

The store I am buying it from is clear, once I buy it; it’s mine, so I just don’t want to put my money in a bad investment of obsolete product.

Does anyone know of a better price online for new product that has the latest vinyl and software??
DJLorrence 3:59 AM - 29 January, 2006
PM me i can get you serato 470 tax in cluded.
punosion 4:10 AM - 29 January, 2006
Not sure if it says "Version 2" vinyl on the box, but the SL1 hardware hasn't changed and the most recent software is available online for free (and you can d/l it yourself ;).
DJ Unique 4:13 AM - 29 January, 2006
Be careful buying off e-bay, you may not have warranty for it.
E-mail agiprodj.com and request a price quote.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:26 AM - 29 January, 2006
get it from AGIPro ask for justin
mexicannnnnn 6:58 AM - 29 January, 2006
SSL sells like hotcakes... it wont be an old copy. SSL units sell so fast distributers cant keep up with the demand.

I suguest you work the seller down to $469US as thats the going rate...
TJ-Darkdise 5:39 PM - 29 January, 2006
Thank you all for providing me input, and the Hookups for better pricing!!

1ST to address the question punosion had, I was under the impression SL had 2 versions of the encoding records. The 1st rev was not as desirable as the 2nd rev because of the mastering process (if I am wrong, please give me the heads up)

2nd I will hit DJLorrence up, but also ask for a price quote from agiprodj.com (since 2 people advised him).

Does anyone else have experience w/ this place agiprodj.com—(I just did a email quote, but I will do a call also)
TJ-Darkdise 5:45 PM - 29 January, 2006
Correction on my end!!

Punosion did answer my question, I just read it wrong and thought he was asking me something... and no disrespect w/ the big 1ST also (I do my posts in MS word and just I copy them, I noticed that it capitalized the letters)

Thanks again
DJ Dynamight 6:46 PM - 29 January, 2006
Quote:
Does anyone else have experience w/ this place agiprodj.com—(I just did a email quote, but I will do a call also)

Many of us have done business with those guys. Have no fear, they will take great care of you.
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:15 PM - 29 January, 2006
^^ now if agipro would move to the east coast id get my stuff the next day! :P
punosion 12:49 AM - 30 January, 2006
Quote:
Correction on my end!!

Punosion did answer my question, I just read it wrong and thought he was asking me something... and no disrespect w/ the big 1ST also (I do my posts in MS word and just I copy them, I noticed that it capitalized the letters)

Thanks again

n/p, man...no disrespect taken; didn't really even notice. ;)

You are correct; the V1 vinyl had problems, and the V2 vinyls are the desirable ones. I confirmed that there's no outside indication on the box that you're getting the new vinyls, but maybe if the serial number is available, Rane would know. They do sell like hotcakes, though, so if you plan on getting it you might want to see if you can find out when they actually got it in stock. Anyone running across this thread know when the V2 vinyl was released? I can't find it after a few minutes of crap searches. :o Anyway, if you can find that out, I'm guessing any stock they received 2 or 3 months after the V2 release would include the new vinyl. I'm just guessing, though...I got mine from americanmusical.com early this month as soon as they got stock, and my hardware was actually made last December. Not sure if they would have gone through their V1 control vinyl at the same clip, so again, I could just be talking out my ass. ;p
tsalyards 2:31 AM - 30 January, 2006
It's been at leat six months since the change to V2 (maybe more I am just recollecting). I would doubt if any of the old records are still on the shelves.
nik39 3:03 AM - 30 January, 2006
thats when it was released scratchlive.net <- click.
joshua 3:37 AM - 30 January, 2006
i got mine (as well as my mixer) from agiprodj, hooked me up...
highly recommended...
Josh
TJ-Darkdise 4:15 AM - 3 February, 2006
Hi All,

I had to keep you updated. I had an unexpected trip out of town, and about 1 mile away form the hotel, I find a DJ store.

So I go on amend w/ a web page I printed w. SL being $468, and told the guy I can get it cheaper but was passing this way, so could he hook me up... and he did!

It also gets better, I was looking on the floor and seen a Vestax PMC-07 Pro mixer (gold face) in great shape, just missing the gold fader knob.

So I asked him what was the best he could do on that (it was the last one)-- got that for $200, and I got a extended warranty in case any problems happen.

When I got home, I got the quote from agiprodj and it was a great deal also (not for the mixer, for SL), so I told him since everyone buys stuff, I will buy some new Sure needles from him in about a week.

All I can say is Scratch Live is GREAT!!!! It took no time to get started, it came w/ version 1.3 of the software, I updated to 1.4—I am testing 1.5… wow, what a week.

Thanks you all for the input, I hope to continue to be a contributing member of the forum as my days, and years grow w/ this product!!