Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

2.4.4. feedback & library jumping

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Deejay Steve 2:29 AM - 11 April, 2013
Hi, this is just some general feedback on the latest version which I have been using of SSL 2.4.4
This version seems pretty solid & stable when used to DJ with all files rescanned. Just did a 5 hour video set using MixEmergency and SSL behaved impeccably.

1. The problem is in the analysing of video files where my quad core Macbook would scan 8 files at a time but randomly the scan would freeze on 1 of the eight scan channels. This means that the scan has to be stopped and analyse button pressed again and the scan will continue until another freeze. (I've had up to 7 channels freeze when left to scan overnight)

2. Version 2.4.4 only seems to be unstable in the offline mode when analysing for me and it crashes from time to time just clicking on stuff.

3. Main Library tracklist window. Editing files is hit & miss when you are using this window as the list seems to randomly jump when you click on files to edit. For example I could double click on a file to edit the genre on say line 10 and the whole page would jump and try to edit a different file. It even jumps just highlighting a file which is very very annoying and spoils the user experience.

4. I'm still checking my video files but I noticed that a few files I had previously scanned had lost the file changes I had actioned when I rescanned a folder, hang tight on that on as I've redone the changes and will see if the changes are now permanent.

I hope you can make this software better with a few tweaks to the above issues I have mentioned. I don't use a lot of the toys eg effects, midi etc in SSL so I can't comment on those

DJ Steve
4:12 PM, 11 Apr 2013
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL Help
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:25 PM - 17 April, 2013
Hi DJ Steve

Quote:

1. The problem is in the analysing of video files where my quad core Macbook would scan 8 files at a time but randomly the scan would freeze on 1 of the eight scan channels. This means that the scan has to be stopped and analyse button pressed again and the scan will continue until another freeze. (I've had up to 7 channels freeze when left to scan overnight)

I've heard of this issue. Is the file it stuck on corrupt?
Quote:

2. Version 2.4.4 only seems to be unstable in the offline mode when analysing for me and it crashes from time to time just clicking on stuff.

Clicking on anything in particular?
Quote:

3. Main Library tracklist window. Editing files is hit & miss when you are using this window as the list seems to randomly jump when you click on files to edit. For example I could double click on a file to edit the genre on say line 10 and the whole page would jump and try to edit a different file. It even jumps just highlighting a file which is very very annoying and spoils the user experience.

I've not seen this, do you have the "centre on selected song" option in the setup screen selected?
Quote:

4. I'm still checking my video files but I noticed that a few files I had previously scanned had lost the file changes I had actioned when I rescanned a folder, hang tight on that on as I've redone the changes and will see if the changes are now permanent.

I'd be keen to know if you ejected the tracks before you exited. Sometimes if you don't the information changed won't wrote to the file.
Quote:

I hope you can make this software better with a few tweaks to the above issues I have mentioned. I don't use a lot of the toys eg effects, midi etc in SSL so I can't comment on those

Thanks for your feedback. We are always trying to make our software better.

Matt P
GRiNDBoX 4:35 AM - 18 April, 2013
hi matt

nope the file is not corrupt...it will stuck on all files and its pain in the ass to relocate those files specially if you got 10k videos...well if u found the file you re annalyze it will continue to finished annalyzing
Deejay Steve 11:46 AM - 18 April, 2013
Hi Matt, @GRINDBoX is right.

1. Random files will just freeze when analysing large numbers of files, audio as well as video I have had freeze on scan but will scan fine when you drag it in again later (files are NOT corrupt)

2. Clicking around the Main Library Tracklist Area or Crates.

3. Just checked my setting in Library and the 'centre on selected song' was not checked so I have just activated it to see if that helps, will get back to you on that one.

4. Thinking about this I don't eject tracks on exiting the program. Maybe a sub routine on exit to auto eject and save the tags before it shuts down would be in order.

Many thanks for your swift response Matt
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:56 AM - 24 April, 2013
Deejay Steve,

1. I've heard of this being an issue before and wondering if its related to Cpu usage.

2. Odd, this is not reproducible at all for me.

Hows the other things going?>

Matt P
Deejay Steve 12:30 PM - 24 April, 2013
Hi Matt, I'm a bit behind and haven't had a chance to rescan all of the files again. Will be doing it tonight after work as I have a video gig tonight.

I'm 100% sure the scanning problem will still be there. My system is

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f4
Serial Number (system): C*****W****V
Hardware UUID: F205C7DE-D517-5EF3-977B-6182554*****
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549).

The clicking around the Main Library Tracklist Area or Crates which sometimes causes a crash is in offline mode only during the analyse scan.

I'm also still getting the Main Library tracklist window jumping around when editing file names with the library with the "centre on selected song" checked or unchecked

Thanks Matt
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:43 AM - 26 April, 2013
Quote:

I'm also still getting the Main Library tracklist window jumping around when editing file names with the library with the "centre on selected song" checked or unchecked

How are your files organised? by BPM? What field are you editing? any field?

Matt P
Deejay Steve 1:28 PM - 26 April, 2013
When I'm editing files it's normally ARTIST SONG ALBUM GENRE YEAR which I generally need to edit. Organised normally by ADDED
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:00 PM - 29 April, 2013
Deejay Steve,

These are video files? Do they jump around alot or just one or two spaces?

Matt P
Deejay Steve 9:56 AM - 30 April, 2013
They tend to jump once and can be quite a few places to be honest
Deejay Steve 9:57 AM - 30 April, 2013
Video files or audio files both tend to jump
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:12 AM - 1 May, 2013
Deejay Steve,

I'm afraid i'm getting to a bit of a dead end, as i have the same set up, and do not experience the same problem. Are your files located externally?

Matt p
Deejay Steve 12:52 PM - 1 May, 2013
My files are located on a WD My Passport 2tb external hard drive
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:54 AM - 2 May, 2013
Deejay Steve,

Do you have the same problem without the external HD connected?

Matt P
Deejay Steve 2:00 PM - 2 May, 2013
I only use external hard drive
Serato, Support
Matt P 4:51 AM - 6 May, 2013
Hi Deejay Steve,

Could you try moving a small folder of music to the internal drive and see if you are still experiencing the problem without the external drive connected.

Matt P
Deejay Steve 4:56 PM - 12 May, 2013
Hi Matt, problem seems to have sorted itself of after rescan, library issue where tracks jump whilst editing is still there but I can live with that.

Thanks for your help

Steve
Serato, Support
Matt P 2:54 AM - 28 May, 2013
Deejay Steve

Glad to hear that you are getting some progress.
Did you still have this latter issue without your HD connected?

Matt P
Deejay Steve 3:32 PM - 3 June, 2013
I only use external hard drives with no music on laptop hard drive thanks
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:30 PM - 29 September, 2013
The library jumping when ypu go to edit a track i can confirm this in ssl and serato DJ i have the centre track selected. It is annoying but its when you first go into a crate then double click say the song title and it jumps then another track is in edit mode.

The issue with i7 8core analyze i have seen some posts pop up around this.
But i have had analyze freeze on a core2duo you press analyze then press it again and it carries on totaly fine.

The crashing in offline mode could be because you have 8 cores analyzing and then at same time you are trying to edit tags and move files around.

I try to just leave my laptop when analyzing.

Would be interesting to try just some files on the internal drive as mentioned above to see if we can rule the harddrive out being the issue.