Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Serato DJ crash with internal & external hard drive libraries and Numark NS6

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Joey Tunes 4:11 PM - 8 April, 2013
Hello! I've been experiencing an issue since day one and I'm a bit concerned that Serato DJ is not functioning properly. Just a bit of background, I'm a former VDJ user and have used my NS6 for over a year running VDJ. I've fooled around with Itch on my NS6 a few times but didn't make the move. When Serato DJ was announced and I saw the functionality and level of professionalism put into the product, I decided to get ready for the release. I've been prepping for the last 6 months for the addition of the NS6 to the Serato DJ supported devices list. I am currently running a 1TB internal drive and a WD MyPassport Studio 2TB (both formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I have about 600GB of video tracks on my internal and about the same of audio tracks on my external off a 2011 Macbook Pro with i5 processor and 16GB RAM. I've created a "video" crate in which I imported video tracks from internal hard drive and I created an "audio" crate in which I imported audio tracks from my external. I've also created "genre" filters (from ID3 tags) that pull tracks from both drives. When I perform an event (wedding, quince, corporate, etc.) I usually create an "event" folder and add special requests or banger hits that are specific to this event. Those crates usually include tracks from my internal and external drives. That about describes my library setup.

Here are a few other important details. Both Serato libraries are contained in "_Serato_" folders built on each drive. Serato backups work just fine and offline mode works fine as well. No issues. All software and drivers are up to date with Serato DJ and NS6. I've researched my issues online and have found many articles stating that it could be:

1. Database V2 needs to be reconstructed.
2. You cannot create a crate that contains tracks from your internal and external drives.
3. You cannot have filters that pull in tracks from your internal and external drives.
3. Serato cannot read more than 1TB of tracks.
4. Serato will crash on too many crates.
5. Analyze and remove corrupt tracks.
6. ...etc, etc.

So, to confirm, I have reconstructed the V2 database on both drives, I do have crates that contain tracks from both internal and external drives, I don't have more than 1TB of tracks on external nor internal, I do have a music collections crate that I have about 20 sub-crates with hit audio collections from external drive, I've analyzed "All" tracks & removed corrupt tracks, and the list goes on.

Here's the issue. My routine for an event setup is to have all devices off (including laptop and NS6). I then connect my power cable to Macbook Pro, connect firewire/external drive, and connect NS6 USB cable. Once connected, I power on the NS6 (and touch the platters as they instruct) and then power on my Macbook Pro. Once Macbook Pro has booted up and the external drive has been mounted, I then open up Serato DJ. I do not touch after I open the app (just because I like to assure everything loads before I start moving around in the app. Serato DJ loads internal drive creates and tracks instantly and, after about 60 seconds, begins to load crates and tracks from external drive. The last thing I see on Serato DJ is the yellow highlighted bar on the bottom stating "Loading Crates" (from external drive) and then it Serato DJ crashes. It continues to crash and never pairs with the NS6 and readies for performance.

Something else that is odd is that, on a whim when it does not crash, I turn up the volume on the NS6 and the 2 channels for Serato DJ give out ear piercing static/feedback noise. My other 2 line in channels (for mics) work just fine. I then turn off NS6 and restart the routine above.

In my testing for solutions, I took the same drives after a recent crash situation (in which I had to use VDJ as backup). I took the same Macbook Pro, same external drive, same NS6, and opened Serato Itch...no issues. I then took the same Macbook Pro, same external drive, connected a Novation Twitch, and opened Serato Itch...no issues. Opened Serato Itch in offline mode and all crates and tracks loaded from both internal and external drives...no issues.

That brings reason for me to believe that there may be a database, driver, or processing issue with Serato DJ. I sure hope that someone can provide some valuable solutions to the issues I am having. Love Serato but I don't have that comfort level yet...thank you in advance.
Joey Tunes 4:08 PM - 12 April, 2013
I opened this request on April 08, 2013. Can anyone let me know how long it takes to get a response from Serato support???
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:56 AM - 16 April, 2013
Hey DJ Joey Tunes,

We have been extremely busy with threads over the past two weeks, sorry for the late reply. O.K there isn't a simple fix for what I believe you are experiencing here.

It's hard to break down exactly what you have because your explanation is spread out across your post. If you could break down exactly how much music you have across both hard drives in Serato DJ that would be great.

Internal : Size/number of songs
External : Size/number of songs

Users with large databases of music within Serato DJ are struggling with crashing on loading because the program just can't handle the loading of that much music as the memory (RAM) fills up. With the combination of memory intense controllers and the new iZotope powered effects large database access is being effected and the program may crash. We are working on this however i can't say when there will be a fix.

We are recommending users downsize there libraries as a work around for now.

What happens if you just use your internal and remove your external drive?

Regards
Dave W
Joey Tunes 9:13 PM - 18 April, 2013
Thank you for your reply. Here is the information you requested:

Internal Drive: 1TB / 800GB video
External Drive: 2TB / 900GB audio (includes about 300GB of karaoke which is not crated)

If I just use my internal drive, I have no issues. If you need additional information, please let me know.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:07 PM - 18 April, 2013
The Serato DJ program can not handle Database's of this size, as i've said in the last post i'd downsize for now.

Regards
Dave W
Joey Tunes 6:54 PM - 23 April, 2013
I just want to confirm, so it's not a Serato issue where Serato products such as SSL and Itch have the problem handling 1TB data, the issue you described above is specific to the "Serato DJ" product, correct?
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:17 PM - 25 April, 2013
I believe that there is a limit for all Serato products however as Serato DJ has more features it is more memory intensive, this issue will show up with less files than say, Scratch Live..

Regards
Dave W
10:00 PM, 9 May 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Joey Tunes 1:01 PM - 18 June, 2013
Just wanted to get an update to see of the large database issue has been fixed. Please advise.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:49 PM - 18 June, 2013
No as yet, this is a big job, we are looking into it however it may take some time.

Have a read of this when you have a moment: serato.com

Regards
Dave W
Joey Tunes 9:56 PM - 18 June, 2013
Thank you!
Serato, Support
David Wood 10:20 PM - 18 June, 2013
No worries.