Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How exactly does Serato read files from the computer?

carnage 6:08 PM - 28 March, 2013
I'm trying to get a better understanding of where and how Serato reads music files from the computer. I know about browsing using the files window (where you point Serato), but when it comes to smart crates - will serato load files with matching criteria from ANYWHERE on the computer, or only from certain places?

Im trying to decide how i should be organising my tracks on the pc (taking account of the ability to use smart crates), and am just trying to understand the nuts and bolts of how serato looks at files etc
phatbob 7:20 PM - 28 March, 2013
Smart Crates only pull from tracks added to the Serato library database. Their location on the disk is not relevant.

You could have everything in one giant folder, or 1000 tiny folders, and the same thing still applies.

Once they're in the library, they are part of the database. If they aren't in the library, they are invisible to the software.
carnage 10:39 AM - 29 March, 2013
ok thank you. And how do i ensure a file is added to the Serato library database? and likewise can they be removed?
phatbob 11:35 AM - 29 March, 2013
You add them by dragging them in from explorer/finder or the Files panel and remove them by highlighting them in the 'All' crate and pressing ctrl+delete.

Don't do ctrl+shift+delete unless you want to delete the file from the drive altogether.
carnage 12:42 PM - 29 March, 2013
Ah OK. So the smart crates will only show the realted files (based on their rules) when the files are in the library (bottom main panel) - and if they are deleted fromthe library then they wont show in the smart crate.

So im now thinking that it would make sense to organise my files on my pc to make sense from a browsing point of view (trance, funky house, hiphop). But when it comes to using Seraro i should pull any new tracks i have bought into the library and leave them there (never delete them). And then use smart crates to make the library easier to navigate?
carnage 12:54 PM - 29 March, 2013
and if files are moved outside of serato (ie: using windows explorer) will stored info like cue points be saved with the files, or does that only apply if they are moved within serato?
Phuture2 2:09 PM - 30 March, 2013
Hey Carage,

If you have a large library, there may be issues with Serato DJ reading it. I am going through that now and Seratos fix is to downgrade the size of the Library. Nice Fix Serato!!!!