DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Does R&B Even Exist Anymore?

Dj Shamann 11:14 PM - 21 March, 2013
Okay I'm exaggerating but WTF, I couldn't think of one current R&B artist the other day (that's doing actual R&B)

It could be that I'm just having a brain fart but really all I could think of was Rihanna, but she's doing Electro-Pop whatever the fuck it is now, Usher's doing dance music... and if you follow R-Tistic's thread for current hits, it's all low BPM "rap" done by dudes.

Off the top of my head for the 90s there was SWV, Total, TLC, Aaliyah, Mary J, Brandy, Monica, Toni Braxton, Usher, Donell Jones, Raphael Saadiq, En Vogue, Faith Evans, 112, Soul 4 Real, 702...

But my current crates are real slim pickin's.

Nobody likes a sexy chick anymore? It's gotta be dudes rapping to us about all gold everything?
DJMark 11:28 PM - 21 March, 2013
Kelly Rowland, Keri Hilson, Beyonce and Justin Timberlake would be some that immediately come to mind, and there's been a scattering of nice R&B stuff over the last few years by other artists (much of it getting little commercial attention) but there's definitely a lot less good stuff coming out now than in the 90's.
Dj Shamann 11:35 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
Justin Timberlake would be some that immediately come to mind

LOL yeah, after a 7 year break, but I mean just in general. And even Kelly Rowland has gone Dance music (except for that kiss down low, but I'm talking nice, upbeat, clubby R&B)

Keri Hilson is good but when's the last time she put out anything? (can't remember the last time she had anything big)

I'm kind of glad Beyonce sucks at making the Dance/Electro-Pop stuff because at least we get something half decent out of her every couple of years.

It's a sad state of affairs man.
DJ GaFFle 11:36 PM - 21 March, 2013
R&B = Ratchet & Bullsh!t these days?
DJ DisGrace 11:37 PM - 21 March, 2013
I had this same conversation just the other day. They followed the money for the club/electro tracks...

Quote:
Keri Hilson is good but when's the last time she put out anything? (can't remember the last time she had anything big)

That Motivation jam was fine for radio, but def not a club track. Not even for warming up.

I think Cassie is the last RnB singer I can think of.... not a good look!
Dj Shamann 11:37 PM - 21 March, 2013
^ LOL that's it right there.

You even got Chris Brown acting all gangster on his latest one, GTFOH with that bullshit.
Dj Shamann 11:37 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
R&B = Ratchet & Bullsh!t these days?

^ LOL that's it right there.

You even got Chris Brown acting all gangster on his latest one, GTFOH with that bullshit.
Dj Shamann 11:40 PM - 21 March, 2013
Quote:
I had this same conversation just the other day. They followed the money for the club/electro tracks...

Yeah it's like when one did it, they all saw the money and went after it. Now our crates are suffering because of it.

Quote:
I think Cassie is the last RnB singer I can think of.... not a good look!

Indeed.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:54 PM - 21 March, 2013
For the older heads & Grown & Sexy crowd - Jill Scott, Charlie Wilson, Anthony Hamilton,

Additions to DJ Mark's list: The Weeked, Miguel, Frank Ocean, and I think Joe has a new one out...

Hmmm, Who's Booty - uhmmmm - John Hart? {nm}
Dj Shamann 12:07 AM - 22 March, 2013
I like the Weeknd (helps that he's local) but just like I like Portishead, that shit doesn't pop in the club.

It seems like there's no middle ground here, you got the crew of ex-R&B artists who have gone Electro, then you've got a few R&B dudes putting out really slow shit, nice to listen to, but not so much for the club.

That John Hart track is alright though, I know he's also got the one that sounds like Birthday Cake. What's the name of the Joe track? I haven't anything out of that dude in a while.
Dj Shamann 12:10 AM - 22 March, 2013
That B Smyth track is a step in the right direction, but it's like one decent track in a crate surrounded by that "Ratchet & Bullshit" (LOL)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:17 AM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
What's the name of the Joe track? I haven't anything out of that dude in a while.

Joe - I'd Rather Have A Love (Radio Edit) Watchwww.youtube.com - needs a better mix maybe?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:21 AM - 22 March, 2013
That new Charlie Wilson - Our Anniversary may become one of those timeless wedding songs possibly if it catches on....

Watchwww.youtube.com

It may give that Tony, Toni, Tony - Anniversary some competition at "those" gigs?
DJ Steve R. 12:56 AM - 22 March, 2013
IMO the last decent "R&B" track that came out was Jahiems Ain't living without you. Hope JT drop some more 100 bpm joints. Where's the Koffee Browns and Jon Bs at???
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:21 AM - 22 March, 2013
There is so much good R&B has been coming out over the last few years. You just have to dig for it. Let me help you out with some cuts. I just played these three on my show tonight

Sharon Brown - I Can't Seem Watchwww.youtube.com

Cool Million Feat Jeniqua Watchwww.youtube.com

Mark Evans - The Promise Watchwww.youtube.com

And please get some Joey Negro & the Starburst Band in your life.

Watchwww.youtube.com
djcrap 5:10 AM - 22 March, 2013
i think Keyshia cole is the only r&B artist that gets ladies on the dance floor these days. any of her songs always works for me.
R-Tistic 7:37 AM - 22 March, 2013
I've posted some songs in other posts that I play for the R&B vibe. I hate that my crowds don't always know them, but some are great.

BJ The Chicago Kid - Good luv'n..he doesn't have a lot of club type tracks (I'm tryna make him some now) but this track here works early.

John Michael - Sophisticated lady (remix has Talib)

Miguel - How many drinks

Teresa Jenee - Tahitian vanilla - Summery as hell

Ciara - Body party

R. Kelly - Feelin single

Luke James - Make love to me (greatness)

Brandy - Wildest dreams

Elle Varner - I don't care
eugguy 10:44 AM - 22 March, 2013
It is a dying genre indeed.
StylesD 2:32 PM - 22 March, 2013
Arguably the biggest song of 2012 was an R&B joint (Miguel - Adorn) which he earned Grammy nods for and was on the cover of Billboard twice. Plus new albums from JT, Robin Thicke and Beyonce will all add content to your R&B crate.
phonze 3:07 PM - 22 March, 2013
Timberlake's album is kind of nice. No 128 uptempo stuff, a couple of songs in 120 range but they're in the One Republic - Apologize type of mold rather then the David Guetta imitation mold.
DJ Benny B NYC 3:30 PM - 22 March, 2013
miguel and frank ocean are the 2 biggest now i would say

i would qualify justin timberlake as rnb too
MelonHead 4:16 PM - 22 March, 2013
they're out there.. just have to do actual work and dig.
MelonHead 4:24 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
There is so much good R&B has been coming out over the last few years. You just have to dig for it. Let me help you out with some cuts. I just played these three on my show tonight

Watchwww.youtube.com

nice selection DJ Val. All can work on G&S nights.. may not be for the younger crowd but still nice selection there.
RnBDJkb 4:38 PM - 22 March, 2013
what no Ty Causey Fans? maybe for the older crowd yet still good RnB.
Sureshot (PA) 5:42 PM - 22 March, 2013
come on man.. turn on the radio. there is still tons of good R&B coming out... as a bunch have already said... Timberlake, Miguel, The-Dream, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean.. that's 5 classic R&B records in a year. Plus you've got Rihanna & Beyonce album cuts, Destiny's Child reunion, and tons of solid songs by a dozen other artists. you've just gotta roll your sleeves up and listen to some new music. i'd actually say its a pretty good era for R&B at the moment.
Dj Shamann 6:07 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
come on man.. turn on the radio. there is still tons of good R&B coming out... as a bunch have already said... Timberlake, Miguel, The-Dream, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean..

So you give me a record that has just come out by an artist who hasn't done anything in 7 years (JT), a slow slong (Adorn), and The Weeknd/Frank Ocean who typically do songs like this...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com

And you're saying I've got lots to work with?

Which one of these works during your peak time when coming out of all that other ratchet bullshit that crowds are listening to these days?

Adorn, great record but you're giving me this...

Watchwww.youtube.com

When I'm wondering what happened to this...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:
i'd actually say its a pretty good era for R&B at the moment.

I see one or two records here and there that give me hope, but when you only have one or two next to a sea of bullshit that dominates clubs these days it's disheartening.
Dj Shamann 6:12 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Definitely great cuts (that Sharon Brown coincides with some of the classic R&B/funk phase I've been going through lately with my personal listening), but when you're just trying to steer away from the low BPM rap that everyone's bawling for in the night for maybe a quick set, it's going to be hard with these.
Dj Shamann 6:16 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
I hate that my crowds don't always know them, but some are great.

Yeah it sucks, because with creative programming you can definitely slide a track in here and there, but when you want to break off for an entire set it can be challenging to keep their attention in front of a regular crowd. If you have a niche crowd, it's a different story (like how I would appreciate what Dj Val is playing if I went out to that kind of night because I understand it)
Dj Shamann 6:19 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
BJ The Chicago Kid - Good luv'n..he doesn't have a lot of club type tracks (I'm tryna make him some now) but this track here works early.

I've never heard of him until now, I appreciate the link.
DJ GaFFle 6:58 PM - 22 March, 2013
Wow... I guess there ain't really too much club-worthy R&B out there from the looks of it.

Try
"Remember You" - The Weeknd feat. Wiz Khalifa
"Take It" - LL Cool J
Dj Shamann 7:00 PM - 22 March, 2013
I guess the point is this, we have some of the more active and experienced DJs of the forum here in this thread, repeating the same 4 or 5 names over again, would it be the same with Club Hip Hop/Rap/Ratchet? You'd have lists upon lists with songs to play till next week.

There was a time where you had R&B for every occasion, slow, club, uptempo, pop... but it seems very niche oriented now and not strong enough to coincide amongst the other stuff in a general club crate.
Dj Shamann 7:02 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
Wow... I guess there ain't really too much club-worthy R&B out there from the looks of it.

There really isn't, we can't rely on JT's new album alone, or the hopes that Destiny's Child will deliver...
DJ GaFFle 7:09 PM - 22 March, 2013
"M.I.A." - Omarion feat. Wale
phonze 7:12 PM - 22 March, 2013
Oh, RNB for the clubs. Yeah that's kind of tough now. I stick to the 90's. People come up to me and have a problem with it, too bad!
DJ GaFFle 7:19 PM - 22 March, 2013
"You Better Be Good" - Revaughn feat. Wale
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:23 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
Wow... I guess there ain't really too much club-worthy R&B out there from the looks of it

Yep, the few that do drop have longer staying power to a certain degree because there is nothing else to replace it most times....

Exception: Trey Songz - 2 Reasons should have been bigger but seemed to fizzle quicker.

Also Chris Brown was mentioned but does he lose credibility because he dips to the dance side?

Just went thru a recent pool download:

I kinda love this one - I just need radio to back me up and convince my crowd...

RaVaughn - Better Be Good ft. Wale
Watchwww.youtube.com
Dj Shamann 7:28 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:

Yeah grabbed the deep mix from DJ City, haven't had a chance to run it though yet

Quote:
Exception: Trey Songz - 2 Reasons should have been bigger but seemed to fizzle quicker.

That one pissed me off, I really liked it but it didn't really get the chance, it's tough when there's little else to mix it with in it's range, I guess that's the point of this thread.

Quote:
Also Chris Brown was mentioned but does he lose credibility because he dips to the dance side?

If it's not dance, it's the latest one where he's talking all hardcore. It's in the crate in case it takes off, but I think it's wack.
DJ GaFFle 7:28 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
...Just went thru a recent pool download:

I kinda love this one - I just need radio to back me up and convince my crowd...

RaVaughn - Better Be Good ft. Wale
Watchwww.youtube.com

LoL... I beat'cha to it (nm)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:33 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:

Oops missed that GaFFle - yep co-sign GaFFle's post above...
DJ Ness Nice 7:52 PM - 22 March, 2013
R&B really been slackin lately but heres some joints i play.

Rihanna - Watch and learn
Trey Songz - Does he do it
Chris Brown - Strip, She aint you, Aint No way
Jahiem ft. Keyshia Cole - Ive Changed
Neyo - Champagne Life, Crazy Love
Omarion - M.I.A., Lets talk
Revaughn feat. Wale - You Better Be Good
Justin Beiber - Right Here
Dream - Dope Bitch
DJ SparkxXx 8:07 PM - 22 March, 2013
Exactly my thoughts, Shamann..

However, my boy dropped this newISH Tamia track a couple months ago and I actually thought it was from the 90's!

Has that warm-up feel to it; long live the artists who strive to put out REAL RNB!

Watchwww.youtube.com
R-Tistic 11:57 PM - 22 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I've never heard of him until now, I appreciate the link.

He's on Kendrick's previous album, and has Kendrick on his album twice. He's with Motown now...definitely gaining a lot of buzz
DJ GOOK 2:21 AM - 23 March, 2013
Ne-yo, Raheem Devaughn, Alicia Keys, Jahiem, R. Kelly
DJ Steve R. 2:21 AM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
Exactly my thoughts, Shamann..

However, my boy dropped this newISH Tamia track a couple months ago and I actually thought it was from the 90's!

Has that warm-up feel to it; long live the artists who strive to put out REAL RNB!

Watchwww.youtube.com

That's nice!
DJ GOOK 2:24 AM - 23 March, 2013
That Tamia song is old.
Papa Midnight 5:46 AM - 23 March, 2013
R&B's been dead for years, but I consider the moment the final nail hit the coffin was in "Lil Wayne - How To Love" hit and actually was a top seed in the Billboard 100 for a few weeks...

Lil Wayne is going to teach someone how to love? Really?!
pdidy 10:38 AM - 23 March, 2013

NO
Dj R. Driver 11:52 AM - 23 March, 2013
i usually open my bar set with 90s r&b followed by remix r&b joints. but of course i transition to top 40 rap i.e (fill in the blank garbage) started from where, all gold no where, im so so different, rip killed the club for real, 187 times, and of course my fav, on the good what and what. FML but got to pay the bills!
Will08272 1:06 PM - 23 March, 2013
Its sad when a decent song comes out and its given a little love then fades away in less then a month, dope bitch by the dream was a nice song and i dont think people care for it any more, he released another single with fabolous and i dont think it got any attention. I read several interviews done with some r&b artist and producers and they all get asked the same question about what happen to r&b and nobody knows.
Dj R. Driver 1:37 PM - 23 March, 2013
if your a working dj and have a few dj pools, then you now this man. I've dropped songs with no love and 2 3 months later they request it. yuck. yep
Papa Midnight 4:10 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
if your a working dj and have a few dj pools, then you now this man. I've dropped songs with no love and 2 3 months later they request it. yuck. yep

We all know it. "We Found Love" was probably the most notorious track for this last year.
DJ SparkxXx 7:14 PM - 23 March, 2013
Quote:
That Tamia song is old.

I know, that's why I said new ISH
Dj K.Smith 7:26 PM - 28 March, 2013
R&B is not DEAD... Some artists are still putting in work... Commerical music is taking over the airwaves which makes it harder for the "Neo-Soul" type artists that can SING to get some shine, but R&B is not dead at all in my book...
Hassle 10:59 PM - 28 March, 2013
Jeremih
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:02 PM - 28 March, 2013
Quote:
Jeremih

and fiddy "Down on me" - it was a hit but really???

: )
Papa Midnight 1:59 AM - 29 March, 2013
Perhaps there's hope, yet!
necolebitchie.com
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:01 AM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
necolebitchie.com

WUVS-LP (103.7 FM, "103.7 The Beat") is a 100 watt low power radio station licensed to Muskegon, Michigan.

LOL - I'm sure a few chickens. pigs, and cows can sleep better at night now.
Papa Midnight 4:41 AM - 29 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
necolebitchie.com

WUVS-LP (103.7 FM, "103.7 The Beat") is a 100 watt low power radio station licensed to Muskegon, Michigan.

LOL - I'm sure a few chickens. pigs, and cows can sleep better at night now.

Hopes dashed...
DJ Ness Nice 8:55 PM - 1 April, 2013
And just like that.. Chris Brown - Fine China comes thru and saves rnb... well maybe not save it, but this joint is stoopid..
DJ GaFFle 9:50 PM - 1 April, 2013
Quote:
And just like that.. Chris Brown - Fine China comes thru and saves rnb... well maybe not save it, but this joint is stoopid..

Yessir... no loud, heavy synths and the track breaths... sounds good, I'll put it in rotation. Let's see if radio follows...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:14 AM - 2 April, 2013
Quote:
Chris Brown - Fine China comes thru and saves rnb...

Is that the one they've been playing on all the I heart Radio stations on the hour today?

Hmmm maybe not - kicks in at about 1:50 - NICE...

Watchwww.youtube.com

Checking my pools.
DJRemixEnt 2:25 AM - 2 April, 2013
Frank Ocean
DeezNotes 10:55 PM - 2 April, 2013
I wish it would come back. I understand when people say "it's there, you just have to look." I get it.. but I wish it wasn't that way. If we have to look that hard, it's not there. There was a time when posting what's in my Neo Soul crate would be a loooooong list. Not so much nowadays.

Dwele - What Profit Watchwww.youtube.com
Kendra Morris - Concrete Waves Watchwww.youtube.com
Toni Braxton - Make My Heart (2010 - why didn't this chart?) Watchwww.youtube.com
R. Kelly - Feelin' Single Watchwww.youtube.com
Chico DeBarge - Oh No (2009) Watchwww.youtube.com
Slakah the Beatchild - Enjoy Yourself Watchwww.youtube.com
Julien Dyne - Fallin Down (2009) Watchwww.youtube.com

Most of these are old now. I was hoping people who liked R&B would *try* to like soulful house. I guess it's too fast for them. Seems like if you can't do the hokey pokey to it, it's not R&B.
pdidy 12:03 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
I wish it would come back. I understand when people say "it's there, you just have to look." I get it..

Yea, It kinda make me laugh when I hear people say that...smh
Its like they're not in touch with reality.....For example, Im a high energy party dj so the people that hire my want me to rock parties not attempt to break unfamiliar records while likely killing the dance floor at times. Its just not the time and place for that.
 6 12:25 AM - 3 April, 2013
Pete!!!!!

There you are!!!

nm
DJ Remy USA 1:06 AM - 3 April, 2013
RnB I barely play that it anymore just doesnt get the people moving. You can play it early and at closing. Prime time RnB is non-existent even Suit and Tie by JT doesnt pop at prime time but it works early or after prime time
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:46 AM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
I wish it would come back. I understand when people say "it's there, you just have to look." I get it.. but I wish it wasn't that way. If we have to look that hard, it's not there. There was a time when posting what's in my Neo Soul crate would be a loooooong list. Not so much nowadays.

Dwele - What Profit Watchwww.youtube.com
Kendra Morris - Concrete Waves Watchwww.youtube.com
Toni Braxton - Make My Heart (2010 - why didn't this chart?) Watchwww.youtube.com
R. Kelly - Feelin' Single Watchwww.youtube.com
Chico DeBarge - Oh No (2009) Watchwww.youtube.com
Slakah the Beatchild - Enjoy Yourself Watchwww.youtube.com
Julien Dyne - Fallin Down (2009) Watchwww.youtube.com

Most of these are old now. I was hoping people who liked R&B would *try* to like soulful house. I guess it's too fast for them. Seems like if you can't do the hokey pokey to it, it's not R&B.

Good pics. I have a edit or two of the Dwele.

I have actually gotten people to listen to house when I play the house remixes to R&B.
eugguy 11:00 AM - 3 April, 2013
It's not dead....but barely alive.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 11:06 AM - 3 April, 2013
It's barely alive because DJ's now a days have no balls. Everybody wants to play all the safe common records. WE as DJ's are supposed to break records and get the good music out there.
RonDu 5:15 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:

NO

Yes, it's called Neo-Soul now. Just like Real Hip-Hop is now called Underground Hip-Hop.
DJ GaFFle 5:50 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

NO

Yes, it's called Neo-Soul now. Just like Real Hip-Hop is now called Underground Hip-Hop.

Sad but sort of true. I've got my real Hip Hop tunes marked as "Hip Hop - Underground" in the genre tab now.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:12 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
I wish it would come back. I understand when people say "it's there, you just have to look." I get it..

Yea, It kinda make me laugh when I hear people say that...smh
Its like they're not in touch with reality.....For example, Im a high energy party dj so the people that hire my want me to rock parties not attempt to break unfamiliar records while likely killing the dance floor at times. Its just not the time and place for that.
So, you wanna be a DJ live on the set?Can't be travellin' back again, you should not forgetThe beats in the street and you have been electedTo carry the tradition of records being selectedCheck itYour job is to break new recordsGo to the club, get on man and wreck shitSeemless mixin', blends undetectedThe true DJ and MC are connectedLike me and DJ Revolution
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:13 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
RnB I barely play that it anymore just doesnt get the people moving. You can play it early and at closing. Prime time RnB is non-existent even Suit and Tie by JT doesnt pop at prime time but it works early or after prime time

Yup, fuck RnB i mean where are the drops?!
DJRemixEnt 7:21 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
WE as DJ's are supposed to break records and get the good music out there.

our "good" is a whole diff definition of thier "good"...lol
Papa Midnight 8:23 PM - 3 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NO

Sad but sort of true. I've got my real Hip Hop tunes marked as "Hip Hop - Underground" in the genre tab now.

Hip Hop (True School)
DJ GaFFle 12:22 AM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:

Hip Hop (True School)

I've got that too, that's for pre-'85 Hip Hop that's not Electro-Funk.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:27 AM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hip Hop (True School)

I've got that too, that's for pre-'85 Hip Hop that's not Electro-Funk.

Just call it House - they've fucked up that word... it means nothing now - lol
DJ GaFFle 12:37 AM - 4 April, 2013
LOL
R-Tistic 12:51 AM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
It's barely alive because DJ's now a days have no balls. Everybody wants to play all the safe common records. WE as DJ's are supposed to break records and get the good music out there.

That's not even it.

So I have a mix series I make, which is like Club/Party R&B and more light, "Love-type" Rap....and I can't even make one only using songs from the last year, because it's not enough of it!

Most R&B "Club" songs sound forced as hell. There's a few great ones like "Strip" and "Adorn" but just nothing like it was in 2000 when Kay Gee owned the whole "Grown and sexy" vibe. Or the mid 90's when R&B was basically singing over East Coast Hip Hop beats. And of course, far from New Jack Swing.

I get a few songs, such as those I mentioned, like "Sophisticated lady"...but most of the good modern R&B just isn't party music. It's either Bluetooth music like Charlie Wilson "Life of the party" or trendy with 2003 styled up and down R. Kelly vocals, which is all Trey Songz ever does on his party tracks.

This one here isn't really on the DJ's. With Rap, even Party/Club Rap, there's a lot of dope songs that DJ's can find and use that may not get exposure...but can't say the same for R&B. And I even notice that the 35-45 year olds don't wanna hear the "Grown up" Bluetooth styled music as much as you'd expect...songs like Anthony Hamilton "So in love" which are great.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:42 AM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

That's not even it.

So I have a mix series I make, which is like Club/Party R&B and more light, "Love-type" Rap....and I can't even make one only using songs from the last year, because it's not enough of it!

Most R&B "Club" songs sound forced as hell. There's a few great ones like "Strip" and "Adorn" but just nothing like it was in 2000 when Kay Gee owned the whole "Grown and sexy" vibe. Or the mid 90's when R&B was basically singing over East Coast Hip Hop beats. And of course, far from New Jack Swing.

I get a few songs, such as those I mentioned, like "Sophisticated lady"...but most of the good modern R&B just isn't party music. It's either Bluetooth music like Charlie Wilson "Life of the party" or trendy with 2003 styled up and down R. Kelly vocals, which is all Trey Songz ever does on his party tracks.

This one here isn't really on the DJ's. With Rap, even Party/Club Rap, there's a lot of dope songs that DJ's can find and use that may not get exposure...but can't say the same for R&B. And I even notice that the 35-45 year olds don't wanna hear the "Grown up" Bluetooth styled music as much as you'd expect...songs like Anthony Hamilton "So in love" which are great.

Yes the amount of R&B has diminished as compared to the 90's. There is still alot out there. My point is DJ's have to look for it to play it. That does not happen because the new generations don't dig. It's a lost art. They are sheep who get the same songs from the same record pools.
Will08272 1:26 PM - 4 April, 2013
Beyonce will save us all when she releases her next album. Im sure shell have a track or two that will be worth playing unless she lets the bow down/i been on thing get to her.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:07 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
It's either Bluetooth music

Where or what is "Bluetooth music" - first time i ever heard that - where did that com from?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:13 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Where or what is "Bluetooth music" - first time i ever heard that - where did that com from?

I didn't even want to ask.
DJ Remy USA 3:48 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NO

I have something similiar I call soul hop now when I refer to traditional hiphop
phonze 4:05 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:

I was about to say. He does surprise me every once in a while with his music.
DJ GaFFle 6:44 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Let's just say it never happened...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:53 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats what she said
DJ GaFFle 7:01 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thats what she said to me

LOL... caught me slippin'. (nm)
R-Tistic 8:22 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's kind of an inside joke that people don't get til it's explained.

Older Black guys are known for wearing Bluetooths in public, like ALL the time. Those 40+ types, they wear it all day long out in public, and not just in the car. So whenever my folks hear some good 40+ styled R&B, we call it "Bluetooth music"...Charlie Wilson is like the God, Father, and Godfather of this sound. Jaheim, R. Kelly nowadays (Love Ltter vibe), Anthony Hamilton, Kem, Kindred & The Family Soul, etc etc. etc. Some of it is the modern Neo Soul, and some is a bit more commercial-for-older-folks.
RonDu 8:39 PM - 4 April, 2013
LOL @ "Bluetooth music". Hilarious!
DJ GaFFle 9:14 PM - 4 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's kind of an inside joke that people don't get til it's explained.

Older Black guys are known for wearing Bluetooths in public, like ALL the time. Those 40+ types, they wear it all day long out in public, and not just in the car. So whenever my folks hear some good 40+ styled R&B, we call it "Bluetooth music"...Charlie Wilson is like the God, Father, and Godfather of this sound. Jaheim, R. Kelly nowadays (Love Ltter vibe), Anthony Hamilton, Kem, Kindred & The Family Soul, etc etc. etc. Some of it is the modern Neo Soul, and some is a bit more commercial-for-older-folks.

((( tucks his Plantronics Voyager Legend in his pocket )))

(nm)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:51 AM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:

LOL.... I was actually thinking of getting another Bluetooth - I hate them - I have bluetooth headphones for shoveling snow, cutting grass or doing yard work.

I guess I need to re-think that plan so I won't fit the stereo-type...

www.ilenesmachine.com
R-Tistic 2:29 AM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

LOL.... I was actually thinking of getting another Bluetooth - I hate them - I have bluetooth headphones for shoveling snow, cutting grass or doing yard work.

I guess I need to re-think that plan so I won't fit the stereo-type...

www.ilenesmachine.com

Nawwwww. We're talking about in CHURCH! Wearing em inside of the club! When you're in somebody else's car! On an airplane where your phone is off!!

LOL they really wear them as fashion.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:39 AM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Nawwwww. We're talking about in CHURCH! Wearing em inside of the club! When you're in somebody else's car! On an airplane where your phone is off!!

Yep, the Club - I lol'd because years ago - they used to wear them in the club all the time - loud as hell in the club- lil flashin' blue light.

If somebody did call you - how the fuck can you hold a conversation in a noisy ass club...

Is yo' life THAT IMPORTANT???
R-Tistic 2:49 AM - 5 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Yep, the Club - I lol'd because years ago - they used to wear them in the club all the time - loud as hell in the club- lil flashin' blue light.

If somebody did call you - how the fuck can you hold a conversation in a noisy ass club...

Is yo' life THAT IMPORTANT???

LMAO! Same as the dude at my Church, he'd be front row every week with it on. I asked my dad if he's a doctor, he's like "naw, he details cars."
R-Tistic 2:25 AM - 20 April, 2013
*Shameless plug* I made a mix that's all R&B and light rap...this is the vibe I enjoy the most, compared to the more trendy, club sounding R&B that I tend to hear.

www.mixcrate.com
Papa Midnight 6:36 AM - 20 April, 2013
Quote:
*Shameless plug* I made a mix that's all R&B and light rap...this is the vibe I enjoy the most, compared to the more trendy, club sounding R&B that I tend to hear.

[link personally removed[

shamless indeed. We've got threads for this kind of thing... :P
serato.com
DJ GaFFle 6:06 PM - 20 April, 2013
Blurred Lines - Robin Thicke feat. T.I. and Pharrell (dope)
DJ Remy USA 12:04 AM - 24 April, 2013
Drop City Yacht Club - Crickets

Its kinda top 40 but the groove is really nice
DJ GaFFle 12:33 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:

I'm not sure this is R&B but I first heard this track at a Jamaican restaurant. I had to Shazzam it because it sounded good and I saw several women grooving to it even though they didn't know what it was.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:36 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:

Not even close to R&B
DJ Remy USA 12:38 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not sure this is R&B but I first heard this track at a Jamaican restaurant. I had to Shazzam it because it sounded good and I saw several women grooving to it even though they didn't know what it was.

It more RnB than most things played on the radio now a days. Works well with Suit $ Tie, Fine China, and Out of My head by Lupe Fiasco. So happy to have songs that sound like this being created. Artist need to keep it up I will spin these songs until Im blue in the face. I have been searching for acapellas of these tracks for some fun mashing.
DJ Remy USA 12:56 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

How can you say that when the song clearly has RnB influences all through it. Yes the guy is rapping but the groove of the song is undeniable. Its not traditional soul music I agree with that notion but completely disassociating the track with RnB is crazy when the pianos and crooning chorus spew elements of RnB.

I guess thats just my opinion its still a great song and I can mix in my RnBish sets if you choose to not play it then thats cool too.
pdidy 2:08 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

sorry, that's not R&B
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:22 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

sorry, that's not R&B

It's (real) hip hop (no Lil Wayne)

Actually it brings to mind that "Nothing On You" song from a few years back - was it B.O.B?
Papa Midnight 2:29 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

sorry, that's not R&B

Actually it brings to mind that "Nothing On You" song from a few years back - was it B.O.B?

Feat. Bruno Mars... and damn good too. Shame that song didn't get enough traction as it should've.
DJ Remy USA 11:06 AM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

sorry, that's not R&B

Feat. Bruno Mars... and damn good too. Shame that song didn't get enough traction as it should've.

What I played the crap out of nothing on you they had acapella to it was remixed to death as well.
Papa Midnight 1:19 PM - 24 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not even close to R&B

sorry, that's not R&B

What I played the crap out of nothing on you they had acapella to it was remixed to death as well.

I did too... in the opening hours. Granted, the crowds I was playing for back then wouldn't know good music if it slapped them in the face.

That said, I still play it now if I feel like it and listen to it on my own time as well.
Alex B. 6:33 PM - 24 April, 2013
@DJShamann > Salute to you for your choices, Marc Evans is a good friend of mine and a great singer, @DeezNotes, that Dwele joint, hot, I always include it in my warm up sets, great beat!
DJ Remy USA 8:45 PM - 24 April, 2013
Ok Drop City Yacht club is not RnB but its a damn good song. Better then 90% of the radio trash in fact the only song I like more is anything by Bruno Mars.

Is Bruno Mars considered RnB? I would say yes but Im curious what you guys think
pdidy 11:50 PM - 24 April, 2013
Bruno mars is far from r&b. He's definitely pop.
DJ GaFFle 1:36 AM - 25 April, 2013
I'd consider Bruno Mars a Pop music artist appealing to a Pop market. Think John Legend for a modern-day R&B sound.
DJ Remy USA 1:44 AM - 25 April, 2013
Quote:
Bruno mars is far from r&b. He's definitely pop.

Got to be kidding me really. Have you gotten a Bruno Mars alb yet. Mostly ballads
Quote:
I'd consider Bruno Mars a Pop music artist appealing to a Pop market. Think John Legend for a modern-day R&B sound.

I agree here but John legend def has pop songs that are mainstream pop as well but his album cuts are different story.

What makes RnB music RnB to you what exactly sticks out so as soon as you hear it your like yeaa that's RnB. Not trying argue I just know everyone has a different idra
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:47 AM - 25 April, 2013
Quote:
What makes RnB music RnB to you what exactly sticks out so as soon as you hear it your like yeaa that's RnB.

It it like Pornography - you can't define it but you know it when you see it?

(or hear it in the case of R&B)
DJ DisGrace 1:47 AM - 25 April, 2013
Well, here's my take:

Bruno Mars makes me want to vomit.

John Legend doesn't.
abdel010 12:13 PM - 23 May, 2013
Quote:

www.mixcrate.com

Very nice mix bro.. You used some good warm up tracks.. This is my vibe too but when playing just a few understand it
Dj Shamann 9:09 PM - 12 July, 2013
JT can release two albums in one year but we're still waiting on one from Beyonce. Sad state of affairs when the fate of a genre (in the club) rests on so few.

www.djcity.com
DJ LIL M 10:41 PM - 12 July, 2013
Most R&b songs now is to fast. Some sounds like Rap.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:24 AM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:

huh? Too fast? WTF?

WAY Back in the day MOST R&B was about 120BPM - Think Michael Jackson, Prince, Janet, and most Black artists in the 80's

In the 90's the sweet spot was around 95BPM or so...

What R&B today is too fast?
Papa Midnight 2:51 AM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
WAY Back in the day MOST R&B was about 120BPM - Think Michael Jackson, Prince, Janet, and most Black artists in the 80's

Truth. Hell, even Rick James spent most of his time at 120BPM.

For that matter, Kool and the Gang was mostly 105-115BPM...

Lakeside...

etc.
DJ LIL M 2:54 AM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

huh? Too fast? WTF?

fast as in sounding like a hip hop or club track lol
Papa Midnight 2:56 AM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

huh? Too fast? WTF?

fast as in sounding like a hip hop or club track lol

In that case, I essentially consider it one.

Case in point: Birthday Cake is not an R&B track, and yet it is labeled as one on every single pool I've checked.
RonDu 11:27 AM - 13 July, 2013
$H*t is backwards now. Hip-Hop sounding tracks are labeled R&B and R&B sounding track are labeled Hip-Hop. I guess the logic is that if there is a majority of rapping on it then it's Hip-Hop, no matter how the beat sounds. And if there is majority singing it's labeled R&B. Something like that? But then again , you have Drake. My reasoning may be wrong...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:55 PM - 13 July, 2013
Quote:
$H*t is backwards now. Hip-Hop sounding tracks are labeled R&B and R&B sounding track are labeled Hip-Hop.

HE fucked it up for errbody - lol youtu.be
Chrisjin 9:21 PM - 13 July, 2013
so true, look at Trey Songz. I still love R.Kelly and bump Write Me Back, The R and TP-2 on the regular
Dj Owe 3:28 AM - 14 July, 2013
miguel is a current rnb artist making rnb music
DJ GaFFle 1:15 PM - 14 July, 2013
Quote:
so true, I look at Trey Songz and still love R.Kelly. Want them to bump Me Write From the Back, The R and Trey can get it on the regular

TMI (nm)

:-)
Chrisjin 3:40 PM - 14 July, 2013
haha I knew that was going to happen, well played
DJ GaFFle 5:35 PM - 14 July, 2013
LOL
GATA82 6:05 AM - 16 October, 2014
We need another R n B music revolution,like we had back in the early 90's...We need another 'BORN INTO THE 90'S,..COOLEY HIGH HARMONY,DIARY OF A MAD BAND,RIGHT BACK AT CHA.......ETC
eugguy 4:13 PM - 16 October, 2014
Quote:
We need another R n B music revolution,like we had back in the early 90's...We need another 'BORN INTO THE 90'S,..COOLEY HIGH HARMONY,DIARY OF A MAD BAND,RIGHT BACK AT CHA.......ETC

that ain't gonna happen again. but, it's always nice to reminisce.
DJ Remy USA 1:51 PM - 17 October, 2014
You guys should really look up foreign singers and artists that actually make real soulful music. Dig around there are some amazing Canadian and European singers no they are not singing throw back RnB music however they have great voices and the music is good just have to be open to it. The 90s is dead let it go I did.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:36 AM - 18 October, 2014
Quote:
You guys should really look up foreign singers and artists that actually make real soulful music. Dig around there are some amazing Canadian and European singers no they are not singing throw back RnB music however they have great voices and the music is good just have to be open to it. The 90s is dead let it go I did.

The British have always had a thriving R&B sound.
Kayblivin 7:29 PM - 14 October, 2015
Ha-ha! this is so true. I'm actually just now listening to some of The Weeknd's latest remixes and i'm shocked at the lyrics. I immediately asked Google " Does anyone make real R&B anymore?". Not that what we have now isn't good music, just it went from loving a woman, giving her the world and "my whole life has changed" - to "i just fucked two bitches before i saw you". like damnn and we wonder why standards have dropped and we have these manish "players", "pimps", and thots.
abdel010 3:34 AM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Ha-ha! this is so true. I'm actually just now listening to some of The Weeknd's latest remixes and i'm shocked at the lyrics. I immediately asked Google " Does anyone make real R&B anymore?". Not that what we have now isn't good music, just it went from loving a woman, giving her the world and "my whole life has changed" - to "i just fucked two bitches before i saw you". like damnn and we wonder why standards have dropped and we have these manish "players", "pimps", and thots.
R-Tistic 11:22 PM - 21 December, 2015
It's a decent amount of R&B by artists who've been here since the 90's. Even After 7 has a new song out that's great. Along with Tamia and Kenny Latimore. Issue is that it doesn't appeal to anyone under 25 anymore unless it has a Trap beat, which is why kids love Bryson Tiller and Tory Lanez.
DJ Remy USA 12:19 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
It's a decent amount of R&B by artists who've been here since the 90's. Even After 7 has a new song out that's great. Along with Tamia and Kenny Latimore. Issue is that it doesn't appeal to anyone under 25 anymore unless it has a Trap beat, which is why kids love Bryson Tiller and Tory Lanez.

This pretty much, Im getting old cause Im now at the point where I have to ask younger DJs whats hot for urban cutz cause when I think something is dope its normally because it sounds like my era of music. Anyways
Dj Owe 12:38 AM - 22 December, 2015
Haha me too
 6 12:43 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

This pretty much, Im getting old cause Im now at the point where I have to ask younger DJs whats hot for urban cutz cause when I think something is dope its normally because it sounds like my era of music. Anyways

This and that - not to be confused with Dis N Dat lol

nm
DJMark 2:32 AM - 22 December, 2015
Am I totally lame/brainwashed for thinking of stuff like "White Iverson" and even "Trap Queen" and "Hotline Bling" as the new (commercial) R&B? They're all "songy"-sounding, mostly with singing not rapping...
 6 4:27 AM - 22 December, 2015
I just don't see a rapper making an r&b song, I don't care how much they pretend to sing.

nm
DJMark 5:44 AM - 22 December, 2015
Quote:
I just don't see a rapper making an r&b song, I don't care how much they pretend to sing.

I just assume they're all pretending to sing at this point. Then if I find out one of them is actually singing credibly without the "help" from many teraflops of DSP, I'll be pleasantly surprised.
RonDu 2:54 PM - 22 December, 2015
R&B resides in the Neo-Soul realms. The majority of that $h*t on the radio is not R&B. Don't let the radio stations' slogans fool you people.
Mr. Goodkat 6:58 PM - 22 December, 2015
no new music is good!
djcrap 2:55 AM - 4 January, 2016
Quote:

nm

Pitbull is a pretend rapper

Runs and hides
 6 4:40 AM - 4 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

nm

Pitbull is a pretend rapper

Runs and hides

I actually agree. lol

nm
Papa Midnight 3:34 AM - 5 January, 2016
Susan Jones 6:42 PM - 27 November, 2016
Just got it ;) Hope You all will find it loving also..

have it from here-- teespring.com

Only for Hard Core R&B Fans...