DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Numark TTX VS Technics 1200..

DJ Trini D 5:18 AM - 3 September, 2008
I Know A LOT Of you are going to go with Technics being that its the better brand, better torque etc etc. But I need a good turntable with a good PITCH RATIO. I can just save up (but it will be a while) and buy two technics 1200..or just sell my Denon DN-S5000s for the Numark TTX (reason I would sell is because the Numark TTX has a better pitch ratio than the DN-S5000, which is +-24, the technics just has 8 or 10 so I would still need the CDs for parties and such).

So whats the better buy for me? Or what do you suggest. Im going with the Numark TTX, but Im wondering is the Technics REALLY that much better?

(And yes, I do need a high pitch ratio like the numarks +-50. In South Florida we have parties where people like the music high pitched).
DJ Dynamite - NJ 12:22 PM - 3 September, 2008
if you need a high pitch then get the turntables with the high pitch ratio. It's really a no brainer.

But just so you know, the Technics 1200 M5G's have a +16 ratio and you can always adjust the pitch higher on all 1200's by adjusting the controls under the platter
sixxx 12:51 PM - 3 September, 2008
Get what you need.
sixxx 12:52 PM - 3 September, 2008
PS. South Florida get off drugs.
DJ Sniffles 1:33 PM - 3 September, 2008
Instead of paying money for a +50 pitch, why dont you just put the turntable in 45rpm?
DJ Dynamite - NJ 1:56 PM - 3 September, 2008
Quote:
Instead of paying money for a +50 pitch, why dont you just put the turntable in 45rpm?

yeah, that too...LOL
sixxx 2:02 PM - 3 September, 2008
Now that you mention it... internal mode for the win.
DJ Michael Basic 7:07 PM - 3 September, 2008
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Numark TTX. There were lots of problems with the original run of them, but as long as you don't get one of the first run models they are a fine turntable. I have them in my home setup and have absolutely no complaints.
wilkins820 3:28 AM - 4 September, 2008
can anyone post me a mini mix of this super sped up florida stuff?

i can't wrap my pea brain around how anyone would listen to something sped up +50
LightsOut06 4:02 AM - 4 September, 2008
TTX's don't last as long as 12s. I have 12s that are about 15 years old. All I've had to do is replace the rca's. I love em. They are the best investment I've ever made :)
matt212 3:06 PM - 4 September, 2008
Quote:
TTX's don't last as long as 12s. I have 12s that are about 15 years old. All I've had to do is replace the rca's. I love em. They are the best investment I've ever made :)

Just curious...how long does TTX's last? :)
wilkins820 3:09 PM - 4 September, 2008
yea. how long do they last?

5 years should be sufficient. but even i'm curious.

i won't give up my antique 1200's but i am curious
DJ Michael Basic 5:06 PM - 4 September, 2008
Dunno how long TTXs last. I've had mine about 4 years and they still work as new. I'll post here when they don't work anymore.
Mr. $weetlife 8:05 PM - 4 September, 2008
Quote:
Dunno how long TTXs last. I've had mine about 4 years and they still work as new. I'll post here when they don't work anymore.

I got you beat! Mine didn't work STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! That's right BOTH OF THEM!

Sit back with a bag of popcorn in your fireside recliner while I tell you a story...(no logout)
scratchlive.net
sixxx 8:09 PM - 4 September, 2008
How long do TTXs last?

Forever... as long as you don't use them. lol
DJ-A 9:52 PM - 4 September, 2008
Quote:

still only up to 16...

imagine trying to beatmatch at +50...

hell, just throw your songs into ABLETON and jump the BPM up to 2000, you won't have to touch the pitch if they are already saved the way you want them
sixxx 10:12 PM - 4 September, 2008
lol @ 2000
DJ-A 10:25 PM - 4 September, 2008
they'd go nuts for Alvin & The Chipmunks...
matt212 11:43 PM - 4 September, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I got you beat! Mine didn't work STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX! That's right BOTH OF THEM!

Sit back with a bag of popcorn in your fireside recliner while I tell you a story...(no logout)
scratchlive.net

Hahaha....I knew $weetlife was going to show up to express the hate he has for Numark. lol
DJ Trini D 4:39 PM - 6 September, 2008
Quote:
can anyone post me a mini mix of this super sped up florida stuff?

i can't wrap my pea brain around how anyone would listen to something sped up +50

Watchwww.youtube.com - Thats a south florida song called I'm So High by Grind Mode. Thats about +20-+30 around there.
Here's the original version of it - Watchwww.youtube.com.

I dont have any party footage or anything but they love to dance to songs around that speed, if not faster.
sixxx 6:37 PM - 6 September, 2008
So, basically, this sped up stuff is to make dirty south tolerable? lol
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:25 PM - 6 September, 2008
what bunch of idiots. First they make the shit slow and then they speed it up to sound like alvin and the chipmunks. Quit sippin on that syrup...lol
Angelito 8:01 AM - 26 April, 2009
Since your using serato you probably arent into using dated equiptmnet designed in the late 70's while time tested the SL 1200 is an old man in terms of design and listening to the needs of moden DJ. From 1978 - 1997 Only one big change was made by adding a Quartz Lock button. 2002 saw the release of the SL 1200 M5G With a digital pitch control and selection of rangers from +-8% to +-16% not to mention blue leds in the pop up light all for about 650.00 usd a pop.
The TTX is very new and designed with the modern DJ in mind. If you like to mix you can select from ranges of +-8%, +-10%, +-20%, +-50% plus 33.33, 45, and 78 RPM 3 tourqe settings. Normal or Battle Positions, think of the vestax pdx a2s. S-Shaped tonearm for normal playback, and straight for heavy scratching. Numark has been building good equiptment but this one is great. The Numark TTX USB has rendered my Technics SL 1200 MK2 into retirement.
Turn Table Tennis 2:07 PM - 26 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

still only up to 16...

imagine trying to beatmatch at +50...

hell, just throw your songs into ABLETON and jump the BPM up to 2000, you won't have to touch the pitch if they are already saved the way you want them

i wonder how well key lock works when you pitch up that high.
Dj Koppa Top 3:32 PM - 26 April, 2009
I have 2 ttx usb for 2 years now they work great i also got them for the pitch ratio they are great.......technics are only an egoistic machine...."hey look i got techs the best in the world". the ttx u can change the torque of the platter also higher than the technics. and all the controls can be changed on the fly once you install the platter you never have to move it again unlike techs where you have to remove the platter to do adjustments to the table. Techs & TTX are great but get what suits you best that is what i did.
DJFUNKMIKE 9:51 PM - 18 May, 2010
I had just my new TTX played at my residency.it blew the technics away.dont get me wrong i have been using the technics for like forever.i have always been nervous to purchase a ttx bcoz of what i read in so many dj forums(TTX1)...but it was a thing of the past and numark has redeemed themselves with this tables(TTX USB mine has manufactured date, dec.2009)...the pitch control is very accurate,doesnt drift.the pecentage incriment on the lcd and the serato is exactly the same. the torque? wow!!! so so better than technics,plus pitch selection from 8-10-20-50, though i just use the 10%. so i couldnt ask for more,im very happy with it...now,my technics 1210's m3d is for my home set up....TTX, residence set up all the way....Cheers!
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:53 PM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:

I had just my new TTX played at my residency

Quote:

i have been using the technics for like forever.

Quote:

have always been nervous to purchase a ttx bcoz of what i read in so many dj forums

is your residency a 3rd grade classroom?? lol jk, i think the TTX will be the next tables i buy, for home use
DJFUNKMIKE 9:58 PM - 18 May, 2010
LOL^^, nice one bezzle! go for it,ul never be disappointed...
DJFUNKMIKE 10:00 PM - 18 May, 2010
is your residency a 3rd grade classroom?? lol jk, i think the TTX will be the next tables i buy, for home use By the way,its a five star hotel club...
DJ LIB 9:38 AM - 28 March, 2011
Ive never touch wax when djing and now want to check it out, im using the denon s3500s which i think is wonderful. i went to the store to inquire the 1200s and the sales rep was trying so hard to get me to get the numark ttx saying its was better and up to date also bout half the price. i really dont know but it seem ttx is givin 1200s a run, could this mean its worth it? i know 1200s is world wide monster of djing but im nervous and uncertain where to put my money. any suggestions?
bicedidit 12:57 PM - 28 March, 2011
"tried and true"...
DJFUNKMIKE 3:40 PM - 28 March, 2011
TTX TTX TTX TTX TTX TTX
mkdva 5:13 PM - 28 March, 2011
TTX is simply not in the same league as SL-1200. So please don't compare them anymore.
Solidsnake 7:18 PM - 28 March, 2011
Advantages of TTX over the 1200...

1. Interchangeable S-shape and Straight tone arms.
2. Variable torque (can even set to low torque which produces the same as the Technics).
3. The ground is built in.
4. User replacable RCA's
5. Up to 50% pitch for trick mixing
6. USB out to rip vinyl
7. Parts are readily available because they are still in production.

Out of all the Numark products (which to be honest are normally cheap), this is/was their highest quality product that can go toe to toe with ANY other turntable. It seems ever since 2007 when these tables got refreshed, that Numark has taken a different stance on producing products, the quality is MUCH higher than products in the past. Just look at the NS7/V7 and the upcoming NS6 if you need any further proof as far as quality. They do still make cheap products, but the quality of their higher end stuff (TTX included) is MUCH higher than years past.

Oh yeah, look up "Roc Raida Numark TTX" on YouTube... if they were good enough for Raida (RIP) then they are more than good enough for ANYBODY.

Having said that, I still love my 1200s they are the standard, but when I gig out now I have been bringing out the TTX's and have been for the past 2 years. Love these tables.

I keep the torque setting to the same setting that the 1200s were on because that is what I was used to, and I can jump between the tables without any issues.
DJ Eighty 8 7:18 PM - 28 March, 2011
^^^........ I agree please stop it, end thread.
Dj Koppa Top 9:05 PM - 29 March, 2011
Quote:

2. Variable torque (can even set to low torque which produces the same as the Technics).
4. User replacable RCA's
6. USB out to rip vinyl

Out of all the Numark products (which to be honest are normally cheap), this is/was their highest quality product that can go toe to toe with ANY other turntable. It seems ever since 2007 when these tables got refreshed, that Numark has taken a different stance on producing products, the quality is MUCH higher than products in the past. Just look at the NS7/V7 and the upcoming NS6 if you need any further proof as far as quality. They do still make cheap products, but the quality of their higher end stuff (TTX included) is MUCH higher than years past.

Oh yeah, look up "Roc Raida Numark TTX" on YouTube... if they were good enough for Raida (RIP) then they are more than good enough for ANYBODY.

Having said that, I still love my 1200s they are the standard, but when I gig out now I have been bringing out the TTX's and have been for the past 2 years. Love these tables.

I keep the torque setting to the same setting that the 1200s were on because that is what I was used to, and I can jump between the tables without any issues.

Have a pair for 4 years and it was worth every penny i spent. I've played on Technics and i dont see the big difference.
KiddKutt 7:46 AM - 13 July, 2011
My ttx's finally took a shit after about 4 years. ive had my 1200's for about 11 years and they still work just like new. TTX= disposable
D.J. Trikz 5:37 PM - 24 January, 2012
I personally have had good luck with my TTX1's and currently on year 4 of owning them. Also, we have another set of TTX-1s at my resident bar/club, and despite heavy use 7 days a week, they have not failed at all after 3 years there, they outlasted the CDJ1000's we had there. I'm sold on them, I own the TTX1's, and the Technics MKII's and I swear by my Numarks....
Dj Farhan 9:59 PM - 24 January, 2012
have US ttx owners successfully used em in the UK?
DJ Michael Basic 10:04 PM - 24 January, 2012
Quote:

I posted that in 2008. My ttxs still work (though I don't use them super often, they are in my studio, I gig with my 1200s)
howcome 10:14 PM - 24 January, 2012
Any new ttx has a redesigned motor that are very reliable. Don't buy ttx1's. I originally had 2 ttx1's. One went out after 2 years and the other just failed after 4 years. I replaced the first with the newer ttx and just replaced the other with a ttx USB. AGI came through with the best price on that and since I was already using a TTX I didn't want to have 2 different brand turntables. For me they are great. Although, if you want super reliable long lasting turntables nothing beats 1200's.
anthracite98 11:36 PM - 24 January, 2012
I had about a gallon of water drip into one of my TTx's from a sky light and after taking it apart 5 days later, drying and cleaning it, it still runs 98% well (stop button on the left needs help sometimes) for home use. I've had water damaged 1200's and even a 57 and they all worked fine after intense drying. Just saying they are tough and a lot cheaper. They are heavy as all get out and suck for moving, but the rubber bottom seems to absorb shock and sound slightly better than 1200's. I love them both and have 3 of them (of 9 total turntables). TTX are more affordable and the pitch is really really nice.
L2daGee 6:36 AM - 25 January, 2012
Technics. That is all.
VP 1:49 AM - 26 January, 2012
features: numark >>>>>>>>>>>>> technics.

build: technics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> numark.

after 2-3 yrs your numarks will die. i have tt500 and ttx (the "newer versions") all but one tt500 works 100%. pitch and torque problems.

i'd be nice if products would work 100% the first time around even though most don't. and that's why they come out with revisions. but after 1,2 or 3 models or 5-6 yrs they should have it down. numark releases the ttx1 and a lot of them have motor problems. release ttx and a lot still have the same problems. then release ttx usb and the problems still exist. then what they do? they abandon the turntable business altogether and go make dj hero trash.
so now even the guys with working turntables will be left hanging. so my advise to the guys with working tables is replace your tables NOW before it's too late. dont be looking for cheap sh1t or features. get techs. it took me 5 years of avoiding to buy techs but still ended up getting some.
bicedidit 3:49 AM - 26 January, 2012
i have a feeling i will have my 1200mk2/1210mk2's forever.

just a little tlc...
str8nger 4:13 AM - 26 January, 2012
the word technics says it all homie
spirez 12:44 PM - 26 January, 2012
STR8-150s all the way!
DJBRIANM 2:40 PM - 26 January, 2012
I purchased the TTX USB's and retired my 1200Mk5's. I was on mk2's for years and got one of the last set of MK5's at Guitar Center. At first I bought the TTX's for my home studio but as the price started to sky-rocket on TECHs. I decided it was time to leave them at home. Yeah I will take them out for special events but my TTX's are pretty damn close to the feel and if they break I really don't give a shit.
After 1-1/2 years of being in use 3 nights per week I have nothing negative to say about the TTX.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:49 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
STR8-150

they look nice.....ive always been a technics man but if these performed like techys (functional and longevity) then they look really good....Ive never saw them before but then again i aint been looking at decks as ive got enough technics 1210's to last me my lifetime( i recon ;) )
spirez 2:56 PM - 26 January, 2012
The Stanton's feel great. I've had a pair for 7-8 years and they're still going strong.
s3kn0tr0n1c 3:42 PM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
The Stanton's feel great. I've had a pair for 7-8 years and they're still going strong.

Good to know.
VP 7:15 PM - 26 January, 2012
after getting used to numark's torque, scratching is kinda hard adjusting to technic's lower torque.
the guys who've been scratching for years on techcs have sharp scratches and for them it doesnt matter what they use. but for the new guys the higher torque just feels better. now, granted that numarks are junk, one is forced to look for a better build. and that can be found in the stantons [STR8-150]. but during research you'll find some stantons facing the same problems the numarks experience. so i came to the conclusion that the high torque motor just causes problems in the long run.

for me, going from numark torque and pitch range to the m5g's feels like a downgrade.
Solidsnake 7:34 PM - 27 January, 2012
Quote:
after getting used to numark's torque, scratching is kinda hard adjusting to technic's lower torque.
the guys who've been scratching for years on techcs have sharp scratches and for them it doesnt matter what they use. but for the new guys the higher torque just feels better. now, granted that numarks are junk, one is forced to look for a better build. and that can be found in the stantons [STR8-150]. but during research you'll find some stantons facing the same problems the numarks experience. so i came to the conclusion that the high torque motor just causes problems in the long run.

for me, going from numark torque and pitch range to the m5g's feels like a downgrade.

Numark put the feature of Variable Torque, they have 3 different settings on the TTX, low, medium, high... and the low is actually the same as Tech's... best way to go is leave it on low, practice and play on it on low. That way if you ever do go out to a club that has only Tech's... you'll already be used to that torque setting.
Dj Tru Lee 3:49 PM - 7 March, 2012
This discussion has been very informative. I know that Technics are the standard in the DJ game but I too wanted to know if there was something within my budget that works just as well as a pain of 1200's. Haven't decided yet but will continue to read up on the subject.
bicedidit 4:31 PM - 7 March, 2012
as far as im concerned, and ive been on variations of technics since 1994, at this point there are alternatives that realistically probably outshine 1200's as far as performance goes. but my grandfather gave me his1200 for high school graduation in 98 and he had it for at least 8 years and he got it from an auction and it has never been serviced (i switched the rca's) and it still runs like its brand new.

there is something to be said about that....
DJFADE 5:30 PM - 7 March, 2012
I've been using TTX-1s for about 4 years and had one motor fail on me....

Just moved to the UK and picked up a pair of new TTXUSB for £300 delivered , will see how they go =)
L2daGee 6:13 PM - 7 March, 2012
Technics 1210 M5G. You won't regret it.
DJ Ammunition 7:03 PM - 23 April, 2012
Mayne!
I want to first thank all the experience here, I too am looking for a legit setup of tables. I currently rock a Hercules DJ4set, but need to upgrade! Im still caught up between deciding, I mainly spin EDM, Reggaeton, Hip Hop & R&B... Everything except classical and country... thoughts?
Robert W 2:17 PM - 24 April, 2012
I spin opera, blue grass, and polka, so i need a reliable turntable that will keep up with my crazy high energy mixes.

While we're on the subject, anybody know where i can find some polka & opera songs with the 16 bar intros/outros?
MPC O.G. 10:50 PM - 24 April, 2012
Quote:

4. User replacable RCA's

6. USB out to rip vinyl

When they stop paying him Roc went back to Tecnics. I think the ONLY paid endorser for 1200's was Ca$h Money. I know my 1200's are at LEAST 20 years old and still the shit. You get what you pay for. That's why I now have a Rane mixer between them now. Buy the right shit once, buy it FIRST, have no regrets.
DJRemixEnt 11:19 PM - 24 April, 2012
ttx ftw!!!!
Solidsnake 2:09 AM - 2 May, 2012
Quote:

When they stop paying him Roc went back to Tecnics. I think the ONLY paid endorser for 1200's was Ca$h Money. I know my 1200's are at LEAST 20 years old and still the shit. You get what you pay for. That's why I now have a Rane mixer between them now. Buy the right shit once, buy it FIRST, have no regrets.

The point of it all is... doesn't matter the deck... matters what the DJ can do with them, as Raida showed, he could rock on any decks. You can have preferences, I prefer my Grandmasters (which stay at home)... but I rock the TTX's weekly at gigs no problem. If I lose a $350 deck to damage its whatever... seeing as though Grandmasters are no longer produced, if I lost them to damage/stolen/etc., can't just run out and grab a new set (would have to find used set and drop 2grand).
L2daGee 7:16 AM - 2 May, 2012
Advantages of 1200 over TTX:

1. Industry Standard
2. Rock Solid
3. They Hold Their Value
4. Parts Available Everywhere
5. Very Easy to Maintain and Service
6. You won't wish you had Technics every time you spin.
DJRemixEnt 11:11 AM - 2 May, 2012
Quote:
6. You won't wish you had Technics every time you spin.

been using ttx's for 10 yrs now... and the only thing i wished was that numark came out with these sooner!!!
MPC O.G. 11:31 AM - 2 May, 2012
@DJRemix.......Love the 1200's on your logo! jfwy!
DJRemixEnt 11:35 AM - 2 May, 2012
Quote:
@DJRemix.......Love the 1200's on your logo! jfwy!

lol...you got me there...

my buddy did my logo for me, if i had the skills he had, it woulda been a ttx...lol
DJ SoulSonic 6:49 PM - 6 May, 2012
Technics SL-1210M5G OWNS Numark TTX

here are the reasons:

1 lower low & flutter wich makes it easier to mix
2 superior build quality
3 easy to get parts
4 better tonearm that doesnt look like rubbish and toyish
5 customizable with all the different color leds and faceplates
6 club standard
7 the inside components are better build from Japan
8 its even recommended by audiophiles

So to anyone owning a set of Numark decks, please get ur rubbish out of here and buy "THE REAL THING"

real talk homie
DJWORX 9:57 PM - 6 May, 2012
I guess this tired cyclical argument will never end. But here's the real answer:

Try both, and see what suits your needs. Whichever you choose, is the best - FOR YOU.

I imagine that if STR8s and TTXs last 30 years, the Technics guys will say that 1200s last 60 years. Newsflash - they're going to have to last until the end of time now.
djvtyme85 10:49 PM - 6 May, 2012
And you know they will lol
Discobee 3:46 AM - 7 May, 2012
My turntable can beat up your turntable.
Dj Koppa Top 10:52 AM - 7 May, 2012
Quote:
I guess this tired cyclical argument will never end. But here's the real answer:

Try both, and see what suits your needs. Whichever you choose, is the best - FOR YOU.

I imagine that if STR8s and TTXs last 30 years, the Technics guys will say that 1200s last 60 years. Newsflash - they're going to have to last until the end of time now.

+1
BiggTone408 4:37 AM - 11 October, 2012
New TTXUSBs or 2nd hand Technics MK2?
The Occultist 3:22 PM - 25 February, 2013
How do the TTX's tonearms behave with scratching? Maybe after some years of use? Anyone?

I use a couple of Citronic PD45 Ultima Oem turntables (like the Stanton Oem family) where I had some issues with space on the tonearms. Hope you guys understand what I'm talking about.

Interested in the TTX because of the high torque which I am used to.
The Occultist 3:50 PM - 25 February, 2013
Some critical points in this discussion:
-Lower low & flutter of the Technics is a plus, the newer tt's with high torque magnet system are more sensitive for low & flutter. Ask yourself how important this is to you. If you mostly use DVS then low & flutter shouldn't be an issue as long as the timecode signal is given true (and it is).

-Parts of the TTX described as toyish or ugly: It's not an argument because it depends on personal taste. It doesn't say anything about the quality of parts. The same goes for arguments like "recommended by audiophiles". You really need to try equipment for yourselves before judging it.

-Parts for the TTX shouldn't be a problem because it's a modern tt of this time. Although there are still lots of parts being sold for the Technics, they are no longer produced so who knows how rare these parts will be in years to come.

Overall:
-Love the Technics reliability, tonearm, lower low & flutter.
-Dislike the low torgue and 8 percent of pitch.

-Love the TTX changeable tonearm, high torque, pitch possibilities.
-Dislike the higher low & flutter.
-Wondering about the reliability and how the tonearms hold up eventually.
BiggTone408 9:47 PM - 25 February, 2013
My OPINION , ttxusb is a better turntable. Question is how long will they last? Based on that, I purchased 1200s because you just can't go wrong with them
Code:E 10:13 PM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
My OPINION , ttxusb is a better turntable. Question is how long will they last? Based on that, I purchased 1200s because you just can't go wrong with them

Point is valid though i have friends with 8 year orl TTX's now and they still are going strong. If i ever buy another set of turntable it will be TTX's.

Only problem i have seen is one heavy pot smoking buddy had resen stick to the sides of the platter from his fingers because thats how he would slow the record down by touch the side. It
made the TTX's he own look very unattractive.

Biggest plus would be the relocatable pitch. I can't play on techs without hitting the tone arm now because it feels like its in the wrong place. And for the way i mix i like to know the exact % i have pitched a track. The digital display is awesome for that.

Techs have on things going for them Parts, parts are everywhere and you can custom the shit out of them. My club i res at just had there powder coated white and blue (club colours) with Blue LED's and platter LED ring. So sexy now. And the build date on them is early 1980's.... I don't know any other piece of DJ gear that you could use from the 1980 today.
El_MaUri 5:20 AM - 27 February, 2013
Just got a pair of the TTX USBs... dope tables. Torque is the shittt and the straight tone arm is the shiitttttt x2... Not the best looking ones though... But I still got my M5Gs for dem sexay looks :)
DJRemixEnt 4:40 PM - 27 February, 2013
had mine since 2004 with no issues at all
DJ Nightmare Productions 5:49 PM - 27 February, 2013
please just get what you want.. try both of them out.. and get the one you think is better... before the technic fanboys.. come around and try to make them seem like the reign supreme.. try both decide for yourself.. with that being said.. i have the Stantons for 4 years now.. not one prob.. techs are good too.. TTX's are good too... See you don't have to down another brand.. just to praise one.. lol
SELECT 8:18 PM - 27 February, 2013
What the hell is all this crap about torque? You use slipmats for god sakes! Some of you with plastic underneath them. Technics have way more torque than you'll ever need. Use the rubber slipmat they come with if you want ultimate torque lol.
sixxx 9:45 PM - 27 February, 2013
Quote:
What the hell is all this crap about torque? You use slipmats for god sakes! Some of you with plastic underneath them. Technics have way more torque than you'll ever need. Use the rubber slipmat they come with if you want ultimate torque lol.

Yup. I believe this has been pointed out plenty of times.
d:raf 9:55 PM - 27 February, 2013
I think the "torque wars" are a remnant from the period before the patent on the 1200-style motor ran out; there were lots of direct-drive options floating around out there with lackluster torque. Then the TTX and Vestax PDX series came out and overcompensated in the other direction. lol
FunkyRob 12:51 AM - 28 February, 2013
If the Numarks didn't have the weird shape, I'd probably be more interested in them
El_MaUri 3:18 AM - 28 February, 2013
I actually had an issue with the torque on my M5Gs... Well, not so much the torque but the vinyl was too heavy. I ordered a pair of CV, the new performance series, and one of them was too heavy. It wouldn't happen all the time, but when I would drop it on the 1 it would lag! Couldn't use that particular CV anymore, that shit would throw it off at the beginning. And I tried it on both TTs and got the same result. But with the TTXs, that shit does not affect it one bit. Picks that shit up with the quickness! And I used the same slipmats on both set of decks, Butter Rugs.

So this would be a scenario when the torque actually came into play... when u have heavy ass vinyl haha
DJ DisGrace 3:23 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:

So this would be a scenario when the torque actually came into play... when u have heavy ass vinyl haha

I'm gonna have to go with user error here.

There is no such thing as vinyl that is too heavy. The spindle hole on the record was too tight. Just needs to be loosened up a bit (nm). You obviously didn't use much real vinyl back in the day....
El_MaUri 4:14 AM - 28 February, 2013
Sure, could have been user error... but there was a bit of wiggle room. I checked. It wasn't on there super tight.

But those new performances vinyl are quite a bit quicker than some records I have and previously generation CV.

It's just that one piece that gives me problems on my technics... but when I throw on the TTX, it picks up with no problem.
Laz219 4:18 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
If the Numarks didn't have the weird shape, I'd probably be more interested in them

I'd have to agree with this. I just find them incredibly ugly. I guess they were trying to avoid being a Technics clone, just doesn't work for me though.
In use though I really like the TTXs.

In regard to stantons, I got mine about 5 years ago and even then I bought them used. Never had an issue with them whatsoever.
BiggTone408 7:54 AM - 28 February, 2013
I kinda like the look of the ttx - space age look....but, i think someone commented earlier in the thread that the 1200s can be customized and that is true! here in northern california there is a guy who does just that! from adding leds on the platter to mounting novation dicers INSIDE the 1200 so the buttons are flush on the face....i have seen beautiful work done on 1200s
Code:E 8:18 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
I just find them incredibly ugly.

I love the way they look. But I understand to some they could be really fucking ugly.

I really just feel that they are way more functional. 2 start/pause buttons lwasy close by. The movable pitch control. For that right there, to me, makes it stand out above everything else. LCD display, 50% pitch, key lock for real vinyl, changeable tone arms, RCA ports, digital out, USB(though i have never used a TTXUSB), Standard power-cable. For me a a dj functional is everything.

I know disgrace, there's no other way i can think to mesure it but torq, I have to agree the TTX's fell stronger, pickup better, start quicker. Its just more like a cdj in some aspects. And I love that.

They are just as stable and bump resistant. Track as well, sound as good.

Yes i give you ugly. I wont bet any other peace of tech outlive a tech1200, I have no problem giving you a tech will last longer. But I'm a child of consumerism, I have no problem buying new gear in 5-7. Hey I will want new shit every 1-2. But besides that Tech have what?

They really are just the best turntable out there.
DJRemixEnt 11:36 AM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
I really just feel that they are way more functional. 2 start/pause buttons lwasy close by. The movable pitch control. For that right there, to me, makes it stand out above everything else. LCD display, 50% pitch, key lock for real vinyl, changeable tone arms, RCA ports, digital out, USB(though i have never used a TTXUSB), Standard power-cable.

agree 100%

like its been stated before...techs are a great table that have stood the test of time. but with the stanton str8's or st150's and the ttx's, theres just alot more functionality, there's also less maintenance (ex replacing/soldering/removing rca's and ground wires, changing pitch faders, power cables, lights...etc. everything on the stantons and numarks are just plug and play.

and like Code:E stated, you definately get more functionality for your investment. generally, you can grab a new ttx for $299 and a new stanton for $600 give or take a few bucks. A single used 1200 is gonna typically run you $400 to $1500+ give or take a few bucks, depending on the model and condition.

now, i know the "1200's fo life" crew will jump in and say "do you really need all those extra bells and whistles?" and the honest answer is no, dj's did a great job for decades without them, but it all depends on your style of djing, and if you decide you want to take your creavity as a dj to the next level, the options are already there with the stantons and numarks.

when comparing the other turntables theres was always the question of "will the stantons and numarks be able to have a long life like the techs"... who knows...but you have several dj's who have been using their numark ttx's for 8-10+ years (not sure how long the stantons have been out)

will the Stantons and Numarks be able to have a long 20+ year life? who knows...but for an initial investment of $299 for a turntable, 10yrs is already a great life span if you ask me.
SELECT 3:24 PM - 28 February, 2013
Few things for the guys who havent been Djn that long-

Not all vinyl will feel the same. Vinyl is not heavy. Out of the dozen control records I have only a third feel right for me and how I like to play. Vinyl warps and even if its just a little it will cause one side of the record to feel easier to backspin than the other. Sometimes there is no hope, you can only use them for straight mixing, forget about scratching, etc. They just will never feel right on either side. Another thing is if the record is too loose it can cause your needle to jump so use clear tape in the middle spindle hole to tighten it up. Pretty much all my control vinyl has clear tape in the middle to keep it steady. On the flipside some of my real vinyl records have really tight spindle holes and that can make it difficult to backspin.

Not all slipmats will feel the same. Some are thin, thick, textured, etc. Some make your records feel light, others heavy. Really what Im saying is some slipmats will your records feel really slippery and others will make the records feel really tight and precise. For scratching I have two really thin slipmats in my collection. Even those two feel different from one another when I juggle. For straight mixing I have a dozen or so. They all feel different. I have this thick textured slipmat that makes the record almost impossible to backspin, tons of torque I tell ya lol.

So given all the factors still to this day I see people struggling to scratch, juggle and mix on turntables. I get on their setup and Im like.. this is all sorts of wrong for what your doing. Torque and the brand of turntable has nothing to do with it. Your using the wrong slipmats and your control records suck.
SELECT 3:38 PM - 28 February, 2013
As far as which turntable is better... Technics makes a higher quality turntable no question. Are there other brands that will work, absolutely. I used a vestax pdx for years at this in store I used to do. I didn't like it, but it did the job. Pitch was funky, tonearm adjustment sucked, felt really plastic and cheap. Still tho it held up and Im pretty sure people are still using it now.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:40 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Technics makes a higher quality turntable no question..

100% false...technics does not make turntables
SELECT 4:41 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Ok sorry, panasonic.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:47 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok sorry, panasonic.

Still incorrect....they USED to make higher quality TTs, they no longer make them
El_MaUri 4:49 PM - 28 February, 2013
The point was that out of the two sets of tables, M5Gs and TTXs, one handled the "shitty" CV better than the other. Just an observation.
SELECT 4:50 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok sorry, panasonic.

Still incorrect....they USED to make higher quality TTs, they no longer make them

Lol, ok thanks for clarifying.
MPC O.G. 5:54 PM - 28 February, 2013
1200's have only 1 weakness, that shitty rca cord. After that perfection. I bet my 1200's are older than a lot of cats on this forum. I will repeat what I always say 1 more time. Buy the best shit 1st and you'll only have to buy it once.

P.S. As far as other turntables having more torque that's just because the couldn't copy Technics motor without infringing on the patent. PERIOD. That's like Behringer copying Mackie mixing boards all the way down to mis-spelled words on the circuit boards. The best will stay the best.
Code:E 6:45 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
P.S. As far as other turntables having more torque that's just because the couldn't copy Technics motor without infringing on the patent.

Incorrect. The patent ended the year the TTX-1 Came out. Apparently the TTX motor is based on the tech design, but better.

funny side note, The numark NS7 has 2 torq settings, Low is ment to replicate the tech1200 and high is ment to replicate the TTX-1
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:58 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
1200's have only 1 weakness

....besides not being made anymore lol
MPC O.G. 8:38 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
1200's have only 1 weakness

....besides not being made anymore lol

But if you already have them........

A lot of people seem mad at people who made the sacrifices to buy the best. If you want something but can't afford it, let go of some unnecessary bullshit for a minute and see how easy it is to get what you want. This whole argument is silly. But we all keep talking (because bullshitting is a great way to pass time). If you could afford a Shelby Cobra you wouldn't buy a Scion and say it's the same thing. A TTX or Stanton......IS NOT THE SAME THING.....

(INSERT FLAMES NOW, BUT I DON'T GIVE HALF A FUCK.......)
P.S. This stupid shit is fun!
Laz219 10:25 PM - 28 February, 2013
This seems to be one of the things that always pops up in any debate on these kind topics
"anybody that didn't buy ________ is just mad because they couldn't afford it"
Which doesn't really make sense. The simple fact is there are different products that different people prefer.

And I'd have to agree with you Code:E- The second start stop button on turntables is probably the best feature.
MPC O.G. 10:34 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
This seems to be one of the things that always pops up in any debate on these kind topics
Which doesn't really make sense. The simple fact is there are different products that different people prefer.

And I'd have to agree with you Code:E- The second start stop button on turntables is probably the best feature.

For a LONG time I COULDN'T afford them, but it's not in my nature to settle for 2nd best. That's just the way I rock. I buy shit ONE time. That way I can buy MORE shit instead of upgrading the same piece constantly. That's all I'm saying.
sixxx 10:40 PM - 28 February, 2013
The best feature of a turntable is the one that doesn't come with it: practice.
Laz219 10:47 PM - 28 February, 2013
Makes sense, I'm probably just so used to the response I mentioned I just read it that way.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:51 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
If you could afford a Shelby Cobra you wouldn't buy a Scion and say it's the same thing

.....its funney cause i drive a scion lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:53 PM - 28 February, 2013
Quote:
The best feature of a turntable is the one that doesn't come with it: practice.

Fuck i bought mine used i didint find that in the bix....old owner musta kept it
Laz219 11:23 PM - 28 February, 2013
It's a once time licence.
You missed your chance Bezzle.
Mr. Goodkat 1:23 AM - 1 March, 2013
is the quality any different from the normal ttx or the usb ttx?
DJRemixEnt 1:34 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
if you want something but can't afford it

umm... i really dont think this is the case for most ppl...

hell, i started djing on 1200's, i bought the ttxs the day they came out solely for the reason of being different and not having the same set up as everyone else.
pdidy 1:42 AM - 1 March, 2013

I admittedly stereotype peeps who dont use....
1. Serato
2. Mac
3. Tech 1200s
DJ Eighty 8 10:36 AM - 1 March, 2013
^^^..........I thought I was the only one who acted this way?
DJ GaFFle 11:26 AM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

1. Serato
2. Mac
3. Tech 1200s

1. They're an EDM head, a producer, they own a controller, sponsored or they just like bells-n-whistles.
2. They're just starting out DJ'ing and are saving for a Mac or they're simply broke or cheap.
3. They're uninformed, stubborn, heavy-handed and need extra torque to scratch, a newbie, can't-afford-coz-prices-are-sky-high now, sponsored, feel the need to force pitch tracks up to +100 bpm or they've owned 1200's and just want added 'features'.

No knock on guys for #1 and #3 but you #2's...
bicedidit 2:01 PM - 1 March, 2013
i just watched the crate diggers episode with jazzy jay and he seems to be using something other than technics, which def says a lot. not sure if this has been posted yet tho
DJ GaFFle 2:28 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
i just watched the crate diggers episode with jazzy jay and he seems to be using something other than technics, which def says a lot. not sure if this has been posted yet tho

They may have invited him on set to interview and spin and they had some x-brand of TT at the spot. JJ doesn't carry TT's in his back pocket so he would use whatever's available... that's my guess.
bicedidit 2:40 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

They may have invited him on set to interview and spin and they had some x-brand of TT at the spot. JJ doesn't carry TT's in his back pocket so he would use whatever's available... that's my guess.

it was in jazzy jays basement
DJ GaFFle 3:00 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jazzy Jay... he use to spin with Bambaataa.
DJ GaFFle 3:16 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm checking the Jazzy Jay Youtube video now.
DJ GaFFle 3:20 PM - 1 March, 2013
Looks like he's running the Numark TTX joints. I'm not a pro on the 'other' brands of turntables. All the 'others' look the same to me. :-)
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:55 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

1. Serato
2. Mac
3. Tech 1200s

1. They're an EDM head, a producer, they own a controller, sponsored or they just like bells-n-whistles.
2. They're just starting out DJ'ing and are saving for a Mac or they're simply broke or cheap.
3. They're uninformed, stubborn, heavy-handed and need extra torque to scratch, a newbie, can't-afford-coz-prices-are-sky-high now, sponsored, feel the need to force pitch tracks up to +100 bpm or they've owned 1200's and just want added 'features'.

You must work for Apple...LOL
I went to school for computers and have always used pc. Almost bought a mac when I got my last laptop, but the pc outperformed it and had a bigger hard drive.
the_black_one 6:43 PM - 1 March, 2013
Mac will always be better than your pc :p
DJ Dynamite - NJ 7:10 PM - 1 March, 2013
LOL
DJ GaFFle 7:23 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
...but the pc outperformed it and had a bigger hard drive.

When was this, '95? LoL.
pdidy 7:39 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

1. Serato
2. Mac
3. Tech 1200s

You must work for Apple...LOL
I went to school for computers and have always used pc. Almost bought a mac when I got my last laptop, but the pc outperformed it and had a bigger hard drive.

Now I honestly believe dj dynamite to be a good dj but in the back of my mind I'm thinking somethings not quite right with dude if he's still using a pc at this level of the game.....
CMOS 7:48 PM - 1 March, 2013
Im a PC guy till i die. I even admit that the MAC runs SSL wayyyyyy better. Its really not even a comparison. I tinker around at home with windows machines to test em out and use as a backup but my gig machine is a Mac.
pdidy 7:58 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Im a PC guy till i die. I even admit that the MAC runs SSL wayyyyyy better. Its really not even a comparison. I tinker around at home with windows machines to test em out and use as a backup but my gig machine is a Mac.

me too.....i honestly never use my mac unless im djing
the_black_one 7:58 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

BOOOOOOM
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:52 PM - 1 March, 2013
Just gonna leave this here

Watchwww.youtube.com
Mr. Goodkat 9:18 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
...but the pc outperformed it and had a bigger hard drive.

When was this, '95? LoL.

in living color and movies werent paying well enough :D
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:20 PM - 1 March, 2013
You can dooo what ya waana dooo in living color
DJ GaFFle 9:28 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'll see your brand-x turntable / Scratchlive performance and raise you x10 with this here:
Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ GaFFle 9:30 PM - 1 March, 2013
^^^ top that. :-)
the_black_one 9:48 PM - 1 March, 2013
KABOOOOOOOOM
SELECT 9:51 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'll see your brand-x turntable / Scratchlive performance and raise you x10 with this here:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Ehh, I think he needs more torque on them turntables...
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:56 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com
the_black_one 11:01 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

White flag!!!
Laz219 11:37 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

me too.....i honestly never use my mac unless im djing

Me as well, the only bit of software loaded on it is a browser (chrome) and SSL. I much prefer a desktop when I'm at home anyway.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:57 PM - 1 March, 2013
Quote:

Now I honestly believe dj dynamite to be a good dj but in the back of my mind I'm thinking somethings not quite right with dude if he's still using a pc at this level of the game.....

Like I said, I went to school for computers so I know some stuff. Take care of your computer and you'll be good. My laptop is strictly for gigs. Doesn't go on the internet and the only programs on it are Scratch Live and my software for backing up my files. Never had any problems. On the other hand I've spun with other DJs that use Macs and seen them get the spinning beachball of death mid-set. It's really just a matter of personal choice to me.
pdidy 3:29 AM - 2 March, 2013
Your absolutely right, it's just a stereotype many of us have.
DJRemixEnt 1:51 PM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:
it's just a stereotype many of us have.

hmmmm...was wonderin why the old white ladies always clutch their purses n cross the street when they see me commin....lol
DJRemixEnt 1:53 PM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:
it's just a stereotype many of us have.

hmmmm...was wonderin why the old white ladies always clutch their purses n cross the street when they see me commin....lol

i knew i shoulda never switched to ttx's
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 1:37 AM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:

I know this is an old comment but I've had the Numark TTX's gen 2 since the day they dropped and still going strong today without any complaints. Which I believed dropped about 1-2 years after the TTX-1 & they released in 2002 it's now 2017 so about 12-13 years I've had mine and they're still slaving away & get about 4 days a week use since I bought the things.

Too bad people only heard about the original TTX-1 issues & write them off even though I prefer them to my Technics.
BiggTone408 8:36 PM - 10 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I know this is an old comment but I've had the Numark TTX's gen 2 since the day they dropped and still going strong today without any complaints. Which I believed dropped about 1-2 years after the TTX-1 & they released in 2002 it's now 2017 so about 12-13 years I've had mine and they're still slaving away & get about 4 days a week use since I bought the things.

Too bad people only heard about the original TTX-1 issues & write them off even though I prefer them to my Technics.

I figured that. That's good to know. I might buy a pair for backup. I'm sure Numark learned from their mistakes from the 1st gen. I think my only complaint would be that their super heavy being that I'm a mobile dj. I'm already breaking my back with the 12s using the odyssey glide coffin with mixer. But like I said, I might buy them just for backup. I wonder how the Numark turntables that was released about 2 years ago are. They look like black 1200s...
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 1:48 AM - 12 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I figured that. That's good to know. I might buy a pair for backup. I'm sure Numark learned from their mistakes from the 1st gen. I think my only complaint would be that their super heavy being that I'm a mobile dj. I'm already breaking my back with the 12s using the odyssey glide coffin with mixer. But like I said, I might buy them just for backup. I wonder how the Numark turntables that was released about 2 years ago are. They look like black 1200s...

You got the heavy right.. The things are flipping tanks. If you've not heard Number is releasing/released a new direct drive table called the NX100000 or something like that. I looked at the photos & it's pretty standard fair nothing crazy or revolutionary just a new high torque super oem table. But the price is super affordable.
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 1:49 AM - 12 May, 2017
Numark* god autocorrect
Laz219 7:40 AM - 12 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

I always saw the same comments about the Hanpins (mostly the stanton 150s) about 'will they last as long as techs' - I bought mine second hand 11 years ago (not sure how long they'd been used previously) and they are still perfect today.
I'm just still trying to adjust to shure doubling the price of their stylii in the last few months.
EISEN 4:28 PM - 18 September, 2019
Late to the party on this and you probably got your pair. I've been using my ttxs for many years on a weekly basis and they're the best turntable for price and quality. They've never let me down. Great pitch ratio and rarely drifts once beat matches. It's a quality machine and built extremely well. Havn't serviced these as they feel brand new. The torque is beastly too. I use my ttx to blend house UK garage hiphop R&B. Both record and dvs.
BiggTone408 7:05 AM - 20 September, 2019
That’s good to hear. I think my only gripe with those are that they are too heavy. But that’s why they’re built like tanks. They can last!