Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Auto Gain Problem

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
bumbo08 10:56 PM - 13 March, 2013
Hey guys

I don't think auto gain is working correctly...

When I used itch my tracks would start off at a reasonable volume and wouldn't peak in the software or hardware and I used the DDJ-S1 to control the gain.

However in DJ it seems the other way around. All gain knobs in the software are at zero/12 o clock yet 99% of the songs I load in are immediately going into the red on the software VU but are OK on the DDJ-SX VU.

I have to turn auto gain on to get the levels down into the green.

Is this right? Should I be using auto gain to decrease the overall volume of most of my tracks?
Asu 1:12 PM - 15 March, 2013
Drop the auto gain in the settings to 90db...that's what i did and everything stays in the green now...i was having issues at 92db setting which is what's recommended i belive...SX kept going in the red.

i've found 90db is the sweet spot
bumbo08 1:21 PM - 15 March, 2013
Quote:
Drop the auto gain in the settings to 90db...that's what i did and everything stays in the green now...i was having issues at 92db setting which is what's recommended i belive...SX kept going in the red.

i've found 90db is the sweet spot

But is it meant to be like this?
My songs are louder in DJ than they were in Itch and I've done nothing to them.
It's Auto GAIN not Auto REDUCE.
vboyd666 3:22 PM - 15 March, 2013
If you have to turn auto gain on to get the songs to the green, then it sounds like it is working exactly as it should.
Asu 3:48 PM - 15 March, 2013
if you want your songs to be consistent at a given volume but also stay in the green...i found 90db to be the perfect spot...but yeah i noticed the Serato DJ/SX does get really loud fast.

Set auto gain to 90db and forget about it :-)
bumbo08 3:57 PM - 15 March, 2013
Quote:
If you have to turn auto gain on to get the songs to the green, then it sounds like it is working exactly as it should.

Yeah you're right... :)

Just threw me off with Itch being my benchmark for a while then DJ comes along and increases the volume!

Thanks for the replies guys