Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Retina display native support

djv 9:56 PM - 13 March, 2013
Retina Macbook Pro 15" is in the market for over 9 months, and it looks like Apple will make this a standard feature on all of it's products. Serato DJ and Scratch Live still don't have native support for the Retina Display. When are you planning to implement this?
vboyd666 4:01 PM - 14 March, 2013
+1
BalticBeach 4:39 PM - 21 April, 2013
That would be very nice..
Davideon 7:29 AM - 22 April, 2013
I'm looking at getting a MBP with retina. What are the implications of not having native support?
BalticBeach 8:03 AM - 22 April, 2013
I am not an expert...but think the font just looks a little fuzzy.

If you are buying a new Macbook, do yourself a favor and get the Retina...it's well worth it.
phatbob 9:56 AM - 22 April, 2013
Personally I value the easily upgradable ram and HDD, plus the ability to swap the optical drive for a second HDD in the 'regular' MBP over the retina models, especially for DJing, as no major audio software is retina optimised at this point.

The retina models are very pretty, but they're more a case of style over substance when it comes to audio work.
BalticBeach 2:11 PM - 22 April, 2013
Optical drive?? Does Apple still make anything with an optical drive?? Also, why would you take the effort to tear apart your machine and add another HDD and not just upgrade the one that is already in there?

And Apple IS style over substance...I just benchmarked my $479.00 Acer Staples special from 2.5 years ago and it really isn't any slower than my brand new (February manufactured) Macbook. Apple is perception+.

Get the Retina, besides the great build quality and the awesome backlit keyboard, it's really the only reason to get a Macbook. I love mine, it's not super fast but I believe it's the best Windows 8 laptop on the market.

..not being able to upgrade beyond 8GB RAM is a shame but I can't imagine any DJ software needing any more than that in the foreseeable future.

~matt
phatbob 2:20 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Optical drive?? Does Apple still make anything with an optical drive?? Also, why would you take the effort to tear apart your machine and add another HDD and not just upgrade the one that is already in there?

Because you need more space than Apple offer or third parties offer as upgrades for the retina, perhaps...
phatbob 2:22 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Get the Retina, besides the great build quality and the awesome backlit keyboard, it's really the only reason to get a Macbook.

Except the obvious reason.
BalticBeach 2:24 PM - 22 April, 2013
Considering USB3 is quite speedy, I think I would rather pick up a TB+ of external space than tear apart the innards of my machine.

..plus the slot on the side......what do you with that??? Freaks me out a bit...

~matt
BalticBeach 2:25 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Get the Retina, besides the great build quality and the awesome backlit keyboard, it's really the only reason to get a Macbook.

It's a great fashion statement at the local Starbucks??
phatbob 3:45 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The world doesn't need another Mac vs PC thread on the Internet, but you seem to be overlooking that a lot of people would rather chew off their own arm than use Windows. Myself included.
BalticBeach 3:52 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The world doesn't need another Mac vs PC thread on the Internet, but you seem to be overlooking that a lot of people would rather chew off their own arm than use Windows. Myself included.

Of course, the world is diverse....
Boombox 6:50 PM - 22 April, 2013
Retina support should not even be a topic on these forums. It should have come with the software to begin with, considering Serato DJ was released long after Apple released the retina display MacBooks.
BalticBeach 7:27 PM - 22 April, 2013
Quote:
Retina support should not even be a topic on these forums. It should have come with the software to begin with, considering Serato DJ was released long after Apple released the retina display MacBooks.

True.
DJ-Charly 9:08 AM - 1 May, 2013
In order to bring this discussion back on the desk: Is the requested feature on any timeline @ serato? Or isn't it planned to support the retina display?

Cause I really like to see this perfect software in the perfect resolution ;)
MPH 4:10 AM - 2 May, 2013
absolutely! I own a retina, and I want retina support!
theSuit 3:02 PM - 29 September, 2013
+1

Would greatly improve readability of track names.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:44 PM - 29 September, 2013
Think of the time it will take serato todo this then think of the user base that would benifit from this? Very small % i think people would want serato to work on things that benifit everyone. But for sure one day it will be a nice feature.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 12:11 AM - 30 September, 2013
I really enjoy the patience and decency from "phatbob" when he replies to other forum members...obviously there are some forum members around that don't have the slightest idea of what others are doing with their macbook pro's...I assume especially the deejays playing "just' audio, maybe with a controller.
Let me clarify things for those that don't understand my point...Phatbob is VeeJaying "LIVE" (foul proof) and doing intricate video editing/remixing... guys...on a very high level...running some complicated VIDEO shit read well "L I V E "... he's telling you (from experience) how you can squeeze the most out of a macbook pro if you modify it the right way...for example throwing the optical drive out and installing two super fast big ass 6g Solid State Drives loaded with VIDEOS. Also upgrading the ram etc
Show some respect for people (veejay code-e and some more) that tried all platforms and choose to WORK with the one that does not fail them live in front of people, I repeat what I said before... lots of us work a windows machine in the studio or for editing, for example I love Sony software, Acid, Sound Forge and Vegas and I run them on a dell precision workstation. NOT LIVE.
Any REAL life serato VeeJay should realize by now that the retina macbook does NOT offer any real benefit for us at this moment. Sooo...Please come with some real live experience on this forum to help others and not with hypothetical theories that do NOT benefit us.
BOOGIEFROMCUR 12:17 AM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
And Apple IS style over substance...I just benchmarked my $479.00 Acer Staples special from 2.5 years ago and it really isn't any slower than my brand new (February manufactured) Macbook. Apple is perception+.

@ baltic beach ...did you VIDEO mix with this acer?
4 hours nonstop? writing messages, mixing, scratching, stuttering backspinning etc Videos foul proof?
I really ...really... (this is NOT a typo) really want to see this happening...
BUT I really... really... really... doubt this happened...
WarpNote 10:04 AM - 30 September, 2013
I just run my Retina in 1920 res. Works great imo.
If I want bigger text in the track list, I just press [cmd] & [+]
DJ-Charly 7:16 AM - 28 August, 2014
+1
zoomwire 8:20 AM - 28 August, 2014
+1

Any comments on this from Serato, please?

Retina displays exists for three years and many deejays are using macbooks…
Jirczech 3:10 PM - 6 September, 2014
1+
MBPr 15" user, It'll be really nice.
Chester619 8:08 AM - 12 September, 2014
+1 Need Retina Support!
DjRoo-1 11:34 AM - 26 September, 2014
+1
dj a-cut 6:03 PM - 16 January, 2015
+1
Playabeatz 6:14 PM - 16 January, 2015
+10000000
DJ SP (UK) 1:41 AM - 17 January, 2015
+1 been using a 13" Retina MBP for close to a year now, would love support for these displays in SDJ!
DjRoo-1 7:40 AM - 19 January, 2015
+1
Acd 11:31 PM - 6 March, 2015
+1
DJ Frank Breuer 8:06 PM - 9 March, 2015
+1
B-Flat 4:00 PM - 20 March, 2015
+1
Entro 5:51 PM - 20 March, 2015
+1

Wow, two years now for this request!
DjRoo-1 10:56 AM - 27 March, 2015
I know right? 2016 is fast approaching and even 11 inch netbooks are getting higher resolution display both Apple and PC. I guess Serato are more interested in developing plugins to sell us rather that sorting out this issue
DjRoo-1 11:04 AM - 27 March, 2015
It's also longer than 2 years. People have been requesting this since the Retina laptops first appeared in 2012. In that time, mobile phones have even started to get higher res screens than 1920 x 1080
Mike Czech 10:18 PM - 27 March, 2015
+1

My 13" Macbook looks horrible running SDJ. The workarounds don't do much, and add weird side-effects in the UI, fonts are sized terribly. Please catch up with Apple in this matter guys. It's been a LONG time.
Konvurt 5:50 PM - 30 March, 2015
+1 but I hear this is coming
Entro 5:55 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
+1 but I hear this is coming

Well it's not in the current Beta, so at least a few months away I would think. :(
Konvurt 5:57 PM - 30 March, 2015
Yeah when I asked on FB they said it was not due out for this next version, but they did say that major UI work is coming as they update some the technologies they're using for rendering (or something of that nature), and that native resolution support was one of the biggest parts of that!
Entro 5:57 PM - 30 March, 2015
Quote:
Yeah when I asked on FB they said it was not due out for this next version, but they did say that major UI work is coming as they update some the technologies they're using for rendering (or something of that nature), and that native resolution support was one of the biggest parts of that!

Awesome!
DjRoo-1 6:27 PM - 31 March, 2015
That would be great
DJ-Charly 7:48 AM - 10 April, 2015
Hell it's about time ;-)
Frozone 10:16 PM - 10 April, 2015
+1
katmoda 1:00 PM - 22 June, 2015
+1