Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Minimum Screen Resolution Workaround??

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
bitwise 12:12 AM - 29 August, 2008
Hi there -

Are there any ways to get around the minimum screen resolution requirements for Scratch Live? I have an ultra-portable that only has 1024 by 600 resolution (but is a 2GHZ with 2GB of RAM, so it has enough horsepower on Win XP).

When attempting to start Scratch Live, it gives an error dialog stating the minimum resolution requirements and will not allow the application to start. I really just want to be able to set up crates and create cue points in files with this machine, so if there are any possible way to get around this (either in a supported or unsupported fashion)??

If not, are there any tools available outside of Scratch Live that are able to set cue points in MP3 tracks and create crates for use within Scratch Live? (eg: An API? I will write the software if an API exists!)

Thanks in advance for any information.
Rob - Low 2:32 AM - 29 August, 2008
Nah, no 3rd party software available for that. Try openong the software without the hardware connected. You dont need the hardware to create crates, loops, cue points etc.
bitwise 3:15 AM - 29 August, 2008
I did attempt it without the hardware connected. It won't even start unless the resolution is above 1024 X 700. I don't even really need the software to interact with the hardware; I just want to prepare crates.
bitwise 3:16 AM - 29 August, 2008
Oh, 1.8.1 stable is the verison.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 3:27 AM - 29 August, 2008
If you right click on the desktop, and choose properties do you have any options to increase the resolution under the settings tab?
Rob - Low 3:28 AM - 29 August, 2008
Yeah i know what you mean. You gotta change the video card... but actually in a laptop thats pretty much impossible. Sorry for the bad news but you gonna have to get another laptop.
bitwise 4:30 PM - 29 August, 2008
I can't increase the resolution - this is one of those new "ultraportable" (read: tiny) laptops that has a small screen that only can go up to a certain resolution (in this ones case, 1024 x 600).

The thing screams though and would make an EXCELLENT gigging platform, so it is too bad there is some vertical limit enforced by the software (which is odd in the first place; color depth I acn understand, but vertical height???).

Side note - The laptop can drive an external monitor up to 1900x1280 (or something like that), so the video card is more than capable. It is a limitation of the cheap LCD display they put on this laptop and not a limitation of the video card...
Rob - Low 5:25 PM - 29 August, 2008
Ok i understand, So if the video card supports higher resolution...you gonna have to use a secondary monitor, or use another laptop... Those are your only options.
bitwise 6:25 PM - 29 August, 2008
Hmmm.

That is not what I was hoping for. There *must* be a build flag in there to turn off that requirement...1.8.2-Devel?? :):)
Rob - Low 6:37 PM - 29 August, 2008
LOL.. if anybody would know, it would be Konix. Try hitting him up or hopefully he see this thread, he's everywhere all the time.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Nick M 12:25 AM - 1 September, 2008
What is the exact laptop that your using?
An eee pc?
bitwise 12:56 AM - 1 September, 2008
Actually, it is a slightly modified version of the new Acer Aspire One. Stock it is a 1.6gHz with 1GB of RAM with a decent little Atom processor, but mine is slightly "special". I am sure a standard one would drive Scratch Live just fine, even at 1GB of RAM and is *very* cheap. Upgrading the RAM is pretty straight forward, and I am currently at 2.5GB of RAM.

Anyways, it is so darn small that it would be great for DJs like myself that never have enough room at gigs...
redsand 3:30 PM - 2 September, 2008
yeah i exactly know what you mean - i've got the same problem... isn't there a possibility to bring out a "patch" for SSL's restrictions to the screen resolution...?
Rob - Low 5:48 PM - 2 September, 2008
How small do yall need it to be? Yall aint gonna be able to see the names in the crates.
redsand 3:38 PM - 3 September, 2008
don' know how it is in us-clubs, but in germany you've pretty less space for ssl box AND book. the resoultion is right enough to see everything you need in a club... but as it seems that there is no workaround we'll have to take a bigger one - or wait untill the screen resolution is high enough :o)
Rob - Low 4:49 PM - 3 September, 2008
I kinda be wanting to increase the resolution cuz i find myself squinting sometime to read my crates.
bitwise 2:20 PM - 5 September, 2008
I would suggest a minimum of 1024 x 600, but in general it seems that as a base requirement it should be able to size to ANY small size. Note I did not say it needed to be usable; the window must be of a certain size to allow things to be seen, but if the user wants to scroll left/right up/down to view the application, so be it!

Note that I am also not asking for a change in the resolution the software supports; I am simply asking to be able to have less pixel area than "required", even if it is an unsupported option (read: it looks like crap, but at least it works).

Also, I don't need to see all of my tracks and crates at one time. If I can scroll through the crates on the left and the tracks on the right one or two lines at a time, I am happy. Really all I need to see are the two decks loaded and spinning happily. :)
redsand 8:30 AM - 6 September, 2008
exactly! :o)
bitwise 3:06 PM - 8 September, 2008
I saw another thread on this exact same discussion, and with the popularity of the sub-notebooks I imagine this topic will continue to come up...It also sounds like 1024 x 600 is the common screen resolution for these notebooks.

So, since it sounds like there is no official or unofficial workaround for this limitation currently, is there a way to submit an RFE (or future feature request) for the software?
DJ Manila Ice 8:44 AM - 16 September, 2008
Ok, I figured it out and I was able to get it working.
I went to intel's site to download the driver for this video card on the laptop and just reran the install for fun.
You may or may not have to do this.

On to the fun stuff. You just need to go to your display settings. Click on advanced.
On the Monitor tab, uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display".

Here's a link to a picture the thing you need to uncheck.
djmanilaice.googlepages.com
<a href="djmanilaice.googlepages.com

Press apply, change your resolution to 1024x768, and that should be it.
You will have a blown up screen of course that will not fit 100% on to the monitor. But, you can mouse around the whole area of the 1024x768 resolution, and most importantly, you can run serato without having to hook it up to an external monitor.

DJ Manila Ice (DMC US Finalist 2007, Black DJs)
DJ Manila Ice 8:57 AM - 16 September, 2008
again, if anyone has any questions, email: djmanilaice@gmail.com

or go to DJ Geometrix Board to post up more on the topic which is here:
www.djgeometrix.com
DJ Manila Ice 6:59 PM - 16 September, 2008
Here's a picture of serato working on the acer aspire one.
Rob - Low 10:52 PM - 16 September, 2008
Quote:
Here's a picture of serato working on the acer aspire one.

Serato has been officially HACKED ;-p
dj_krypt 1:41 PM - 22 September, 2008
lol. Thats not a hack. Thats changing your screen resolution.

Install OSX. The Mac version doesnt complain about res modes less than 1024x600.

Runs resonable on my Aspire One.