DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to book event for my dj client

lock1 10:27 PM - 2 March, 2013
hello every one

first of all thanx for having me here im glad to be part of your community
so i just got my new job as manager of a well known dj and producer
which is great btw but im new at this and dont know anything about this managing stuff

just got text from him that he want to have an event or 2-3 night live at turkey in one the hotels there
so i wanted to book the hotel and tell them that they have to pay and give him the room and what ever he needs

would it be possible for you to help me write the perfect contract and how to contact them and what to tell them,it would be huge favor but i really appreciate the help
Jeff Scott 10:34 PM - 2 March, 2013
Il say it first.......

Really?
lock1 10:37 PM - 2 March, 2013
what? im new at this and he is one of my family members so what?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:50 PM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:
Il say it first.......

Really?

Hahahaha...

Quote:
he is one of my family members so what?

we could probably help you better if we knew who this "well known dj and producer" is...

In the mean time, I would just copy and paste some the info from here:

edmsnob.com

and make sure they spell your name right when that Hotel rushes to cut that check for your artist....
lock1 11:59 PM - 2 March, 2013
Quote:

we could probably help you better if we knew who this "well known dj and producer" is...

In the mean time, I would just copy and paste some the info from here:

edmsnob.com

and make sure they spell your name right when that Hotel rushes to cut that check for your artist....

well i cant say his name but you should know him from uplifting trance as Armin Van burren played his tracks 20 Times in ASOT

thanx for the link man really appreciate it
eder 12:56 AM - 3 March, 2013
I would ask Sixxx. He's the booking agent for Sadsfre. He knows all about contracts.
Papa Midnight 1:33 AM - 3 March, 2013
Now tracking for the inevitable impending massacre by Bezzle...
bicedidit 1:43 AM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
what? im new at this and he is one of my family members so what?

so what is that a 'well known dj' hired a manger whose best contact/resource is google.
DJ DisGrace 1:52 AM - 3 March, 2013
My best advice would be to tell him to find a real manager...
DJ Fez 2:44 AM - 3 March, 2013
If Armin plays his tracks he shouldnt have any issues getting booked or paid
Papa Midnight 3:22 AM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:

And he could probably find a better manager.
DJ Unique 3:24 AM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

And he could probably find a better manager.

True
lock1 11:52 AM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
I would ask Sixxx. He's the booking agent for Sadsfre. He knows all about contracts.

thanx man
DJMark 1:37 PM - 3 March, 2013
Right into the meat-grinder.

LOL.
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:42 PM - 3 March, 2013
This is like the kid that just got a computer and ScratchLive thinking he's ready to headline in Vegas...lol

If you don't know what you're doing then do yourself and your family member a favor and tell him to get a real manager with experience. Your inexperience is going to ruin this persons career. This is a very cutthroat and dirty business and the sharks will eat you alive.
lock1 4:59 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:

If you don't know what you're doing then do yourself and your family member a favor and tell him to get a real manager with experience. Your inexperience is going to ruin this persons career. This is a very cutthroat and dirty business and the sharks will eat you alive.

well your right this is dirty business but i have to learn how to be a manager cos this is what i need to do,how to learn it,thats what im trying to find out
DJ Dynamite - NJ 5:32 PM - 3 March, 2013
You're going about it the wrong way... One mistake could fuck up this person's career forever. Like I said, tell them to hire a real manager and learn by assisting
lock1 8:14 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
You're going about it the wrong way... One mistake could fuck up this person's career forever. Like I said, tell them to hire a real manager and learn by assisting

yea thats even better for me to learn by assisting but
the thing is he is not paying me and he doesnt want to pay for real manager and im stuck in this so...
DJ DisGrace 8:22 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
ust got my new job

Quote:
the thing is he is not paying me

that is not called a "job"
DJ Dynamite - NJ 8:25 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
he doesnt want to pay for real manager

Oh, so he's pretty much an idiot then. Good luck LOL
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:28 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

yea thats even better for me to learn by assisting but
the thing is he is not paying me and he doesnt want to pay for real manager and im stuck in this so...

Usually Managers often take a percentage of the Artists fee. If he charges $100 - you get $10-12.

If he is spinning for drinks - you get a sip!
lock1 8:34 PM - 3 March, 2013
well yea he is an idiot
Quote:
Quote:
he doesnt want to pay for real manager

Oh, so he's pretty much an idiot then. Good luck LOL

yea he is :D but what can say

so there is no manual in managing not even basic stuff?
Papa Midnight 9:57 PM - 3 March, 2013
Quote:

I really doubt then that he's a "well known dj/producer" who's tracks have been played out by Armin van Buuren.
Marv Incredible 12:32 AM - 4 March, 2013
I'm still not convinced the original OP isn't just having a laugh with this thread, but...

Quote:
tell them to hire a real manager and learn by assisting

That is the best advice you're going to get today. This way, all 3 of you win (Agent, DJ, Trainee) and once you've learned a thing or two about DJing and Artiste Management, you'll understand why you're quite rightly getting ribbed in this thread.

That said, I think you're getting less flak than your original questions deserve; people are actually taking time to give you some good advice so I suggest you take it or stop wasting yours and anyone else's time. Real talk.

Have you sat down with your DJ to discuss goals? Strengths? Weaknesses? Game plan?
Have you agreed any targets? Commissions? Manhours? Rules?

Have you written a profile for your DJ?
Do you have pictures and demos?
Any web links? testimonials? i.e. the basics of a press kit

That needs to be your first major goal.

Armed with some kind of press kit, start approaching the kinds of bars, clubs or venues you want to be hired by and at this stage, I think your best approach would be to be honest and humble. Don't be afraid to explain that you're new to this and remind them that just because you're green doesn't necessarily mean the DJ(s) you represent are. Fact is, you've been lucky enough to get such a good DJ so early on and quite possibly, it's their lucky day too (if your boy's any good that is).

Listen to their responses, good and bad. Learn from them. Find out what THEY want and then see how you can deliver it to them. Tweak and adapt. Try again. Get used to hearing "No" (a lot); NEVER take it personally and remember this: "No" doesn't necessarily mean "No way", it often just means "Not Today". Therefore, always place building a rapport/relationship at the forefront and try and leave the door open for you to return in the future. Then try again.

As for contracts, they are to be found if you spend just a little time researching but remember, you can always write your own simple agreements from scratch and build on them with experience and better research.

See how you get on with the direct approach. If it's not working for you, then I suggest approaching agencies and doing a similar thing with them. However, seeing as you say you want to get into management, find a way to engage one that will let you in on the process and teach you some of the ropes.

There's plenty more, but there's not much point until you at least establish the basics and work out whether or not you're even serious.

And don't start dropping names and phrases like "Well-known DJ" and "Armin Van Burren" if all you're really doing is blowing smoke up people's asses. You lose credibility immediately and it's so unnecessary. I appreciate that lack of confidence makes it tempting but without substance, you won't get far.

And if you've got something good..prove it and let the talents and accomplishments speak for themselves. Otherwise start building some.

And if your DJ really is as well-known and respected as you say, then start taking this more seriously, as he's taking a big risk letting you represent him. I actually doubt he is, but that doesn't mean I discount either of you. There's nothing to stop you from becoming successful if you're willing to work at it, no matter where your starting point is.

Anyway, bottom line is, start by googling 'Electronic Press Kit' or 'EPK' and as soon as you have, start putting a list of potential lients together and hit them up.

All the best
lock1 10:10 AM - 4 March, 2013
Quote:
I'm still not convinced the original OP isn't just having a laugh with this thread, but...

Quote:
tell them to hire a real manager and learn by assisting

That is the best advice you're going to get today. This way, all 3 of you win (Agent, DJ, Trainee) and once you've learned a thing or two about DJing and Artiste Management, you'll understand why you're quite rightly getting ribbed in this thread.

That said, I think you're getting less flak than your original questions deserve; people are actually taking time to give you some good advice so I suggest you take it or stop wasting yours and anyone else's time. Real talk.

Have you sat down with your DJ to discuss goals? Strengths? Weaknesses? Game plan?
Have you agreed any targets? Commissions? Manhours? Rules?

Have you written a profile for your DJ?
Do you have pictures and demos?
Any web links? testimonials? i.e. the basics of a press kit

That needs to be your first major goal.

Armed with some kind of press kit, start approaching the kinds of bars, clubs or venues you want to be hired by and at this stage, I think your best approach would be to be honest and humble. Don't be afraid to explain that you're new to this and remind them that just because you're green doesn't necessarily mean the DJ(s) you represent are. Fact is, you've been lucky enough to get such a good DJ so early on and quite possibly, it's their lucky day too (if your boy's any good that is).

Listen to their responses, good and bad. Learn from them. Find out what THEY want and then see how you can deliver it to them. Tweak and adapt. Try again. Get used to hearing "No" (a lot); NEVER take it personally and remember this: "No" doesn't necessarily mean "No way", it often just means "Not Today". Therefore, always place building a rapport/relationship at the forefront and try and leave the door open for you to return in the future. Then try again.

As for contracts, they are to be found if you spend just a little time researching but remember, you can always write your own simple agreements from scratch and build on them with experience and better research.

See how you get on with the direct approach. If it's not working for you, then I suggest approaching agencies and doing a similar thing with them. However, seeing as you say you want to get into management, find a way to engage one that will let you in on the process and teach you some of the ropes.

There's plenty more, but there's not much point until you at least establish the basics and work out whether or not you're even serious.

And don't start dropping names and phrases like "Well-known DJ" and "Armin Van Burren" if all you're really doing is blowing smoke up people's asses. You lose credibility immediately and it's so unnecessary. I appreciate that lack of confidence makes it tempting but without substance, you won't get far.

And if you've got something good..prove it and let the talents and accomplishments speak for themselves. Otherwise start building some.

And if your DJ really is as well-known and respected as you say, then start taking this more seriously, as he's taking a big risk letting you represent him. I actually doubt he is, but that doesn't mean I discount either of you. There's nothing to stop you from becoming successful if you're willing to work at it, no matter where your starting point is.

Anyway, bottom line is, start by googling 'Electronic Press Kit' or 'EPK' and as soon as you have, start putting a list of potential lients together and hit them up.

All the best

OH MY GOD
THANK YOU SO MUCH MAN
THERE IS THE ANSWER I NEEDED ALL ALONG
YOUR THE BEST
REALLY APPRECIATE IT
MY MAN
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:21 PM - 5 March, 2013
Quote:
Now tracking for the inevitable impending massacre by Bezzle...

Lmfao....i just wanna know how he linked up with this dj...was the make a wish foundation involved?