DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ vs Turntables

fcprod1 1:39 AM - 21 August, 2008
I started Dj'ing with CDJ's about 2yrs ago. I want to try out a set of tables but i get mixed reviews. Some say tables have a different feel and some say its really the same for scratching. What do you guys prefer. Are tables a better choice for scratching? Do you have better control of your scratches with tables or are they about the same. Let me know why you prefer one over another.
DJM_ 2:36 AM - 21 August, 2008
Started on TT and never went back. There is just a far more genuine feeling to using [control] vinyl. Occasionally I gig at clubs that have CDJ's/ busted up techs, and i always bring my Techs. Your going to get tons of posts about using search that will basically say: its all personal preference.
lost vegas 3:23 AM - 21 August, 2008
When u scratch on a cdj it's recreateing the sound of a scratch on a turntable useing vinyl..... So that tells me that turntables must have done something right!!!!! Turntables are better in every way!!!!
DJ Dynamite - NJ 4:42 AM - 21 August, 2008
Turntables...Once you feel the difference you'll dump those CDJ's in a heartbeat.
sixxx 5:06 AM - 21 August, 2008
Turntables. CDJ's can feel weird although a lot of scratching is crossfader based.
TONZ 10:25 AM - 22 August, 2008
i respect cdj's but turntables for me all the way.
DJTaino 11:01 AM - 22 August, 2008
Turntables all the way
monkeybiz 8:37 PM - 22 August, 2008
Given a choice, I find turntables a lot more fun.
dj king g 9:35 AM - 23 August, 2008
technics turntables... nothing else... but cdjs are tight.. i just cant see myself using them.... only with an outside gig. More control with tables..
OakLawnDJ 9:40 AM - 23 August, 2008
... this question is asked WAY too frequently. Search box is to your right.
Carbon the Element 3:39 PM - 23 August, 2008
Never sold tha 1200s - bought CDJs and I sold them in 1 yr. There are scratch techniques that if you attempt to do - especially slowly causes major buffer fall off in Serato... Not with my control vinyl as the needle is always on the record... If a CD is not playing then the buffer falls really quickly...
djdalite 5:04 PM - 23 August, 2008
i mainly use cdj's for the clubs im spinnin @ but if they have techs im all about it - you cant recreate the feel of vinyl with cd deck at least not until the year 2200
Dj Chris Roxstar 7:55 PM - 23 August, 2008
i started dj'ing in 1992...i loved my vinyl..it was really hard for me to transfer over to cds but i did.then serato comes out and i'm like damn, another thing to learn.serato has been a great product for us djs out there.i still love vinyl but i must say that cdjs are the way to go..less to carry...and now with midi controllers like the vestax vci 300 with serato itch...we wont even need a mixer/cdjs anymore.. we just plug and play..now don't get me wrong, i still mix my music and i never get lazy about it. we can still love our vinyl and turntables but, we do need to change with the times and technology. if we don't, we will be left behind...just my opinion...thanks
OakLawnDJ 11:04 PM - 23 August, 2008
How are CDJ's less to carry? You either bring two CDJ's and the control CD's or two turntables and the control records... I see no real difference other than the control records being larger.
DJDemand 6:02 AM - 24 August, 2008
i have cdj 800s and 1210 m5g's ... i always said cdjs are the best cd alternative, but nothing beats the real thing. i usually spend a few weeks using the turntables, then get tired of carrying them around and go to the cdjs which compared to my turntable coffin feel like a lunchbox, but after a few weeks i need to get back to the vinyl. im a mobile dj mostly so ill keep both, but if i had to pick one i would pick my turntables.
DJ Sniffles 7:34 AM - 24 August, 2008
to me..... Cdj's are like fucking with a condom on. Sure you're doing the same thing, and at the end, granted you know what ur doing, you'll bust a nut. But vinyl? It's sex with nothing in between. Sure you can go an hour wearing a condom, but it takes skill to get the extra mile while raw dawgin.

Meaning? Cdjs take away a lot of human error when scratching or even mixing. Sure many people love cdjs, but you'll never come close to the real deal. There is so much room for error on vinyl, but it's mastering the craft that makes it worth while. Cuz at the end, especially with the help of serato, there is waaaay more control with vinyl than a cd you can't touch
djchrischip 8:50 PM - 24 August, 2008
n i find it so much better on vinyl in that with relative mode u just drop needle back to earlier in the record where as with the cdj i always 4get til way later lol
Mr. Goodkat 3:02 AM - 25 August, 2008
i use turntables, but if i was starting out i would use a pioneer 800 or 1000. It gives you similar vesatility, you have not styluses to change or control records to buy(save money), and they are easier to transport, and are more accurate(no need ever to be tuned).
djchrischip 4:18 AM - 25 August, 2008
goodkat i'm really new to tt's n by tuning r u referring to the pitch slider moving the pitch differently over the course of time?
OakLawnDJ 4:53 AM - 25 August, 2008
That's one of the things that might need adjustment with time, but others include things like the bushings in the tonearm, etc. Searching will yield plenty of links to writeups for tuning turntables.
djchrischip 5:11 PM - 25 August, 2008
ok thanks oaklawn..
Mr. Goodkat 7:01 PM - 25 August, 2008
Quote:
goodkat i'm really new to tt's n by tuning r u referring to the pitch slider moving the pitch differently over the course of time?

yeah, i mean it technics TTs will not go out of pitch overnite, but in general they could. CD players are computers and 0s and 1s will always be 0s and 1s.

anyway, at this point, with your set up, i can see decks as being a waste of time and money. This is coming from someone that would never (probably couldnt play out using cdjs) play out with out technics.
Detroit's Dj Shaun 7:04 PM - 25 August, 2008
I aint gonna lie, I had CDJ 1000's and although I liked them. I bought a NUMARK CDX and I liked it even more because of the 12" rotating platter, however I had problems with the timecode cd ejecting and all other cd's for that matter. I sold that one too! Now I'm back to timecoded vinyl once again!
Dysquo 10:23 AM - 3 September, 2008
Get Serato Itch and the Vestax VCI300... LOL
wilkins820 10:09 AM - 17 September, 2008
i've tried cdjs and the numark cdx for about 2 years...

came back to the tables as soon as i discovered Serato.

the best thing is seeing the needle and realizing that you need to bump it back when using relative mode.

w/cds i always forget till it switches to internal mode
RaY_RaY 11:17 AM - 17 September, 2008
i would have to say TT all the way....CDJ"S frustrate me at times but I guess that would have to do with what players you have as well..ehhh who knows its all in what you prefer...
Trackfeen 3:17 PM - 17 September, 2008
For me i was never really a visual person when it came to Djing.... Sure i can use cdjs but in doing so you lose some of the feel that comes along with Djing. When you used vinyl it allowed for those subtle pitch bends. Made you check, re-check and triple check how well the beat synced up..honestly i feel it makes you a better dj.. No BPM meter you just had to listen to the music....serato brought that back for me. the ability just to feel a record out...
_Breeze 3:36 PM - 17 September, 2008
Quote:
to me..... Cdj's are like fucking with a condom on. Sure you're doing the same thing, and at the end, granted you know what ur doing, you'll bust a nut. But vinyl? It's sex with nothing in between. Sure you can go an hour wearing a condom, but it takes skill to get the extra mile while raw dawgin.

Meaning? Cdjs take away a lot of human error when scratching or even mixing. Sure many people love cdjs, but you'll never come close to the real deal. There is so much room for error on vinyl, but it's mastering the craft that makes it worth while. Cuz at the end, especially with the help of serato, there is waaaay more control with vinyl than a cd you can't touch

Great Analogy
DJ-A 4:53 PM - 17 September, 2008
CDJ's are for people who don't scratch
DJ DECK 7:10 PM - 17 September, 2008
T.T's 100%. Cdj's have more functions to work with, granted they expand your options to enhance your mix with all extra features. But when you have a program like Serato and TT it leaves it up to the DJ to become those extra features and be creative.
sixxx 8:20 PM - 17 September, 2008
If by enhancing you mean Funkymix a la Tony Little, then no, thanks. :P
Logisticalstyles 10:05 PM - 17 September, 2008
I'm thinking about using my CD players this weekend at the bar instead of my Turntables. One of my 1200's is broken and the replacement I've been using has shity pitch control.
DJ Anywhere 10:11 PM - 17 September, 2008
TURNTABLES ALL THE WAY!!!! its heavier but worth it.
DJ-A 11:51 PM - 17 September, 2008
here's 1 advantage to CDJs... 2 CDJ's still weigh less than 1 turntable
OakLawnDJ 3:10 AM - 18 September, 2008
... advantage to turntables - you build some damn muscle while you transport them.

A TT DJ could whoop a CD DJ's ass.

(it'll be fun to see where this one goes)
sixxx 5:37 AM - 18 September, 2008
Quote:

Not if your turntable is the Vestax portable one made out of plastic AND yes, you can use serato with it. :)
DJ DECK 6:10 PM - 18 September, 2008
Quote:
If by enhancing you mean Funkymix a la Tony Little, then no, thanks. :P
Yup. LOL!!! .
DJ-A 2:05 PM - 19 September, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Not if your turntable is the Vestax portable one made out of plastic AND yes, you can use serato with it. :)

Yeah... like after i just bought my M5G's i'm going to go drop more cash for a piece of plastic...
DJ-JA 9:46 AM - 29 July, 2010
Mr Goodkat mentioned that CDJ's are mechanically more sound than TT's? Well, i bought my first pair of 1210's in 1994 and they are still going strong to this day and they have NEVER been serviced. Sure, i have got through more needles than most in that time but that is the only thing i have ever needed to do in terms of maintenance. CDJ's however, are so reliant on electronic components that the list is endless of things that could potentially go wrong. Don't get me wrong, build quality of CDJ's has improved immensely over the years but I don't think they will ever match the reliability of the trusty old SL1210
Jynxx 3:37 PM - 29 July, 2010
Guys some of you are really gettin the topic wrong. He asked which is better for SCRATCHING. Not which has better pitch control, or has less to carry, or what is better technology.

And I am sorry, but anyone who has ever come off of turntables and tried to scratch on a bulky, slow ass CDJ platter knows damn well that turntables are WAY better for scratching.

While I am all for technology and all that, with the software updates that Serato is doing, adding effects and samplers, and extra decks.... I don't see why you WOULDN"T use genuine turntables. CDJ's and all their brethren (Denon, ADJ, Gemini, whatever else) try to emulate a turntable, and so I have to agree with "Lost Vegas" who said that that means TT's must be doing something right.

Bottom line is that Turntables are, and always will be, the best platform for scratching on. Period.
LT.Smash 11:43 AM - 14 December, 2011
OOOOOH SNAP!! Agreed, not only are TT easier and better for scratching on, but you look like a real DJ using TT it is so much better, authentic and still the best.
Mr. Goodkat 9:36 PM - 14 December, 2011
Quote:
Mr Goodkat mentioned that CDJ's are mechanically more sound than TT's? Well, i bought my first pair of 1210's in 1994 and they are still going strong to this day and they have NEVER been serviced. Sure, i have got through more needles than most in that time but that is the only thing i have ever needed to do in terms of maintenance. CDJ's however, are so reliant on electronic components that the list is endless of things that could potentially go wrong. Don't get me wrong, build quality of CDJ's has improved immensely over the years but I don't think they will ever match the reliability of the trusty old SL1210

its funny, i switched to cdjs this year, just to learn and my primary residence carries cdjs and the decks at my other gig were consistently messed up. I sold 4 tech 1200s to finance the cdj 900s, and so i could practice at home.

what i can tell you is that you save about 500-1000 a year if you are doing 4-5 nights a week and i like the line level signal rather than the preamp sound out of my SL3.

what i can also tell you is that im looking at buying a pair of used decks by selling one of my cdjs, because they are more fun to play on and i can't play my 1500 records any more.

for straight house music, cdjs are great as controllers, but anything outside of that i really miss my decks, probably because i had been using them for 10+ years and it gets comfortable after a while. The best thing about cdjs is if they turn on, they work. Although those jog wheels dont do well with liquids(as with tts),and they seem to have a bit of a lag(milliseconds but noticeable).

i guess i like both, but realistically speaking, you can't expect to jump into cdjs and have them feel like tts. some people say they can but its just not the same for me. only practice is gonna get you where you wanna go. its like off hand scratching,
str8nger 10:39 PM - 14 December, 2011
Love turntables, the spinning platter and the shiny dots with a colored serat vinyl, and the feeling when you touch the record, I think i just busted a nut!
Royalsincvf 8:59 AM - 19 December, 2011
Is there any good djs out there selling their catalogue of music for download ? Please email me what you have and your price . Johndwane1@gmail.com
DJ Dynamite - NJ 9:55 AM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
Is there any good djs out there selling their catalogue of music for download ? Please email me what you have and your price . Johndwane1@gmail.com

Really? GTFOH
Royalsincvf 10:02 AM - 19 December, 2011
Dynamite a lot of time on your hands huh ? Gigs are slow for you I bet? If you can't / don't want to help then why even answer
djbanno 10:10 AM - 19 December, 2011
Wow...
DJ Dynamite - NJ 11:52 AM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
Dynamite a lot of time on your hands huh ? Gigs are slow for you I bet? If you can't / don't want to help then why even answer

haha, funny... I'm a full time PROFESSIONAL DJ. Obviously you know nothing about that since your here trolling the forums asking to buy other DJs music catalogs. You do know that what you're doing is illegal and also against the Serato forum TOS. I'm gonna help you out though. If you want a spot to download a shitload of music try iTunes, Amazon, Beatport or Traxsource. You're probaby one these clowns that spin for $50 and a bar tab
Royalsincvf 4:34 PM - 19 December, 2011
There you go again allll the time in the world !!!!!!! Thanks for the info I will check it out

Q
DJ Remy USA 4:59 PM - 19 December, 2011
^^^^troll troll troll please ignore...lol
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:53 PM - 19 December, 2011
Yes, I have all the time in the world. It's good be your own boss and not be a slave corporate America. Maybe in a few decades u can finally quit your job @ burger king and achieve such success, but probably not if you're on here looking to buy other DJs catalogs... LOL
DJ Dynamite - NJ 6:55 PM - 19 December, 2011
@ Remy, I'm gonna ignore him now. I don't want him to spit in my drink next time I'm at the drive thru
HandsomeRobDJ 6:59 PM - 19 December, 2011
I started on CDJ 1000's WAAAY back when they FIRST dropped. I tried for like a year and couldn't figure out how to scratch for $#!t. I sold them off and got 1200's and had the basics nailed in less than 2 weeks. Completely different and I'm a 1200 snob now till death. There is just no comparison for me.
DJ Remy USA 7:03 PM - 19 December, 2011
Quote:
Yes, I have all the time in the world. It's good be your own boss and not be a slave corporate America. Maybe in a few decades u can finally quit your job @ burger king and achieve such success, but probably not if you're on here looking to buy other DJs catalogs... LOL

Im A Slaaaaave (in Britney voice) couldnt resist
PAJ 12:36 PM - 18 April, 2013
I have never owned cd tables but have used them many times, for clean crisp mixing no worries, but it is far to easy compared to vinyl, you must work with vinyl and that is why djing is too easy these days. How good does it feel putting it on, listing to it, then taking off and looking at it with amazement.
eugguy 4:31 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
I have never owned cd tables but have used them many times, for clean crisp mixing no worries, but it is far to easy compared to vinyl, you must work with vinyl and that is why djing is too easy these days. How good does it feel putting it on, listing to it, then taking off and looking at it with amazement.

Good.
DJ Eighty 8 7:44 PM - 18 April, 2013
Quote:
I started on CDJ 1000's WAAAY back when they FIRST dropped. I tried for like a year and couldn't figure out how to scratch for $#!t. I sold them off and got 1200's and had the basics nailed in less than 2 weeks. Completely different and I'm a 1200 snob now till death. There is just no comparison for me.

R U the "Messiah" or the "All Mighty Santa Claus"............? U speak of things that only Jedi's should know!