DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Old DJ learning a new trick...

dja_one 12:12 PM - 18 August, 2008
I have reached a level of frustration that I haven't been at since the first day I got my Gemini XL-100s and Gemini Mixer with the sampler 17 yrs ago...haha. You when you try to emulate what you hear other DJ's do when you first get your set-up and you just sound horrible (while you are learning) in your bedroom or Grandma basement(for me).

I have been DJing for 17 yrs. I would consider myself a mixologist but my idol was Jazzy Jeff (like every other aspiring DJ in the late 80's early 90's). With that said...I grew up learing how to transform with the best of them. I have approximately 3 scratches that I can do (respectably) and I just do those 4 in different order or variation. I have recently found myself wanting to know how to do more...shit I want an array of scratches at my disposal to add to my top notch mixing and second to none music selector reputation. This is where the frusstration begins. Please don't laugh...hahah...I went and bought me a DVD (the Q-Bert DIY is actually pretty good) to learn from. Over the years I have trained my hands and muscles to do the 3 scratches that I can do and I find myself not even being able to do the level 1 basic scratches (Grandmaster Theodore/Grandmaster Flash/Etc...). OMG, I sound like I am in my grand mothers basement all over again....hahaha, I LOVE IT. I got this new hunger again, it is crazy. This shit is incredibly hard to try and go backwards in what you do (especially with my left).

I just thought it funny how I can't even do the most basic scratches but will probably skip the transform lesson. I was more amazed at how after 17 yrs of traveling the world and rocking parties in Milwaukee, Chicago, New Mexico, Florida, Georgia, Turkey, Germany, Japan, South Korea and probably the most diverse crowds you can imagine...I find myself with that first day passion all over again. I love it and wanted to see if anybody else has experienced this.

--DJ A-O.N.E.
www.myspace.com
Cruel Hand Luke 7:28 AM - 19 August, 2008
Being that muscle memory has been setting in for 17 years you may be best off by changing it up as much as possible--using both hands, volume faders, transformer switches, slow beats, fast beats, drum scratching, heavy vinyl, thousands of sounds, acapella, yadayadayada...Just cut 'til your whole damn Dirtstyle collection is beat to shit! And you can never go wrong with trying to emulate Jazzy Jeff's percussive patterns.
pdidy 7:54 AM - 19 August, 2008
+1.........i was the best transformer in my hood when it came out.....now i feel like a newjack when i (try) crab,,,,,lol,,,,,,its so fuckin hard to unlearn old scratches and styles.
DJ GaFFle 1:39 PM - 19 August, 2008
I had the same issues prior to '97...I was a right-hand only DJ (scratching like DJ Aladdin - one of my idols) and transformed only on the left (ie. Cash Money/Jazzy Jeff). After seeing the DMC videos and hearing the flare scratch, I knew I had to learn it. It took LOTS of effort and I eventually caught on to the 2-click flare.

To this day (after an 8-year hiatus), I have trouble with the 1-click flare but the crabs and some of the other flare-derived techniques come easy. At this point, I practice more on control, forward/reverse drags, and transitions into other patterns with the left hand (I don't practice flares with the right). I also bought the Qbert video when I got back into DJ'ing in '05 so don't trip. It was pretty good.

I find that I am able to pick up techniques better just by listening to more 'regular' guys than the uber-DJ's. I came up on several new patterns listening to mixes Deeznotes and Young Herrera made a short while back. They're now part of my arsenal and have opened up more transitions and variations to stuff I already knew how to do.

I'd like to get to DJ SpinBad scratching status... I just need to find more mixes by him... oh yeah, air-scratching (scratching at your desk or just thinking of it away from your equipment helps too).
dja_one 12:58 AM - 20 August, 2008
Quote:
Being that muscle memory has been setting in for 17 years you may be best off by changing it up as much as possible--using both hands, volume faders, transformer switches, slow beats, fast beats, drum scratching, heavy vinyl, thousands of sounds, acapella, yadayadayada...

Quote:
...At this point, I practice more on control, forward/reverse drags, and transitions into other patterns with the left hand (I don't practice flares with the right). I also bought the Qbert video when I got back into DJ'ing in '05 so don't trip. It was pretty good.

I have been trying to concentrate mainly on my left atleast in the begining because I have the absolute minimum in record control with my left. I figure after I learn the concept of the scratch with my left...my right will naturally be able to get it. This is day 3 and I am still struggling with certain babu sctrach variations and this one fucking cutting variation (this one is really frustrating the hell out of me...haha). Quitting isn't an option...I get waaaayyy to much respect as a DJ and I feel like I deserve it to make this happen if not for myself for the other DJ's that look at me like I am the pinnacle. How in the hell can I take all these complememnts and amdiration when I know that I am a very very limited DJ in my craft. Even though nobody knows it except me and ya'll now...(I hide it very well that I really can't scratch). So I am determined to earn the respect that I do get....ya feel me?
DeezNotes 1:39 AM - 20 August, 2008
Quote:
listening to mixes Deeznotes and Young Herrera made a short while back.

*honored*

Don't let Gaffle fool you... he's dope on the cut. I feel like I do the same scratches over and over too, but hey... whatever. I try to learn from these guys too. We all session from time to time and try to rip apart what the pros do so we all can understand it and replicate it to step our game up. Too bad it's always an impromptu session on stickam.com, but we try none the less.

Don't feel bad. I think all DJs have a weakness one way or another.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 11:59 PM - 22 August, 2008
bimp