DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What genre do you play?

ASO 1:27 PM - 19 January, 2006
Myself, it's tribal/prog/tech/dirty and dark kind of house, and starting to dabble in some minimal techno also.

Wondering what everyone else plays?
punosion 4:06 PM - 19 January, 2006
More-or-less the same thing, prog/breaks/tech/tribal/darker shades of house, etc. Getting real into the prog breaks and nu-skool stuff coming out now, also starting to realize the beauty of minimal techno.

I'm an amateur in the true sense of the word...I play what I love (and spend too much money on gear for not getting paid in the process). :)
Anton 4:22 PM - 19 January, 2006
I spin breaks (nu-skool, prog etc - whole world) since 2003 (pumping kind house, than i'm studying to dj before). Getting into both scratch music and live remixing scene now.
boabmatic 5:03 PM - 19 January, 2006
hip hop + uptempo R&B (I.e. not the soppy slow love songs)

I have dropped some of my old rock fav's in a set when I was DJin at a skate park last year...stuff like Henry Rollin,Alice in chains,pennywise etc..
Melissa 6:30 PM - 19 January, 2006
Hot garbage! Just kidding. I play everything. Hip hop, House (funky, latin, deep, vocal, commercial), R&B, reggae (+ton), rock n roll, 80's, latin, soca, zouk... I like music that makes you happy- no dark beats in my crates...
punosion 6:43 PM - 19 January, 2006
Melissa, dark beats make my head bounce...and when my head bounces, I'm happy. ;)

No happy hardcore, though. :D
DJ Rumor 7:07 PM - 19 January, 2006
Hip Hop (Old School, Golden Era, Current), 80's, Funk, Rock, Disco, Jazz, New Wave, Soul, Oldies, House
djtonypsalms 7:31 PM - 19 January, 2006
Specialize in Roots Reggae... But open to all Genres!
ASO 8:09 PM - 19 January, 2006
Quote:

*Hangs head in shame that I actually have a fair few old happy hardcore stuff lying about somewhere* Oh the shame... Hmmm, time for eBay perhaps ;-)
Cashless 8:46 PM - 19 January, 2006
There are few genres that I don't play. You can find some hot tracks in every genre. What defines what I play in any given set is the crowd itself.
punosion 8:48 PM - 19 January, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

*Hangs head in shame that I actually have a fair few old happy hardcore stuff lying about somewhere* Oh the shame... Hmmm, time for eBay perhaps ;-)

Naah, slow 'em down and toss 'em in some house mixes...instant transvestite vocal hard house!
GoodVibez 9:07 PM - 19 January, 2006
Hip Hop/Drum and Bass/Breaks
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:31 PM - 19 January, 2006
i spin classical music... you should hear my latest mashups of Mozart.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:36 PM - 19 January, 2006
as floor heaterz, i sometimes throw-in remixes of old school chants from the local monks.
DJRodrigoSM.br 2:52 AM - 21 January, 2006
Quote:
Myself, it's tribal/prog/tech/dirty and dark kind of house, and starting to dabble in some minimal techno also.

Wondering what everyone else plays?

Pretty much the same stuff I do, minus the minimal stuff, plus some electro-ish tracks that are coming out. And tons of Nu-School Breaks. Glad to see people are really starting to appreciate that down here.
djphilly 4:49 AM - 21 January, 2006
hip hop downtempo trip hop jazz funk whatevers clever!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 6:44 AM - 21 January, 2006
Nu-School breaks? any thing (examples) i can hear (maybe in iTunes?) very curious...thanks in advance for your feedback.
bush 6:08 PM - 21 January, 2006
Dj Metro 2:44 AM - 22 January, 2006
hip hop,dancehall,reggaeton.............its a latin thing
senator 3:59 AM - 22 January, 2006
darkside drum & bass ;o)