Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Cannot sort tracks by color

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Dj Wunder 6:27 PM - 22 February, 2013
Sorting tracks by color is my main sorting system in SSL. When SDJ came out it didn't work, but now we're a few versions in, and when I sort by color I still get different results. How long until the sorting the library by color will put tracks in the order of the color palette?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 11:13 PM - 24 February, 2013
Hey DJ Wunder,

Thanks for getting in touch,

Sorting tracks by colour is working fine for me in SERATO DJ 1.1.2?

If you locate your "_SERATO_" folder. (for some longtime users this could be called SCRATCHlive)
Compress it then send it to me, I can look into this further for you.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :)

Thanks.
8:04 AM, 1 Mar 2013
Dj Wunder attached a file: _Serato_MAIN.zip
Download· Permalink
8:06 AM, 1 Mar 2013
Dj Wunder attached a file: _Serato_EXTERNAL.zip
Download· Permalink
Dj Wunder 8:08 AM - 1 March, 2013
Have a look, let me know what you find. I'm on SDJ 1.1.2, using the same MBP that I have SSL on (up to date) and when I sort the all crate by color, they're all bunched up in the middle, out of order. (Same colors stay together, but the color GROUPS are out of order)
9:33 PM, 3 Mar 2013
Jamie W attached a file: _Serato_DJ Wunder.zip
Download· Permalink
Serato, Support
Jamie W 9:33 PM - 3 March, 2013
Hey DJ Wunder,

Thanks for that information.

I have had a look at both _SERATO_ folders.
Your MAIN folder had no music or crate information in it? Only one tune was in the library.

Your EXTERNAL _SERATO_ folder had all your crate information and tracks.
I have rearranged your music in order of "colour tags". They now look like they are in order it me? I have attached the folder for you to check out.

1. Navigate to your external drive.
2. Find your current _SERATO_ folder and rename this _SERATO_01
3. Download the _SERATO_ folder I have attached.
4. Uncompress the folder and RENAME it _SERATO_
5. Move it to the same location as your External _SERATO_ folder.
6. Launch Serato DJ

Do your colour tags look correct now?
Let me know how you get on.

PLEASE NOTE: You will noticed some tunes say they are missing, you will need to relocate these files using the "relocate files" button inside SERATO DJ.
Dj Wunder 12:43 AM - 4 March, 2013
Thanks I'll give it a try, but I don't have permission to download?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:14 AM - 4 March, 2013
Hey DJ Wunder,

My Mistake, I have changed the permission to download.
You should be fine now.

Thanks.
Dj Wunder 2:27 AM - 4 March, 2013
No that didn't work. I renamed the Serato folder on my external to _Serato_1, and used the folder you gave me, renaming it _Serato_

When I open SDJ, and sort by color, the files with colors assigned are in the middle of the list, and not in the order of the color palette.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 2:31 AM - 4 March, 2013
Hey DJ Wunder,

The crates should have already been organised when you loaded up the SERATO folder?.
When you first loaded up the _SERATO_ folder I created what did you see?.

Try the following,

1. Launch SERATO DJ
2. Arrange music by colour boxes.
3. When the colour boxes group in the middle of your music library.
- Select ALL tunes above the first set of coloured tunes.
- Right click and select the GREY colour.
4. Now arrange music by colour boxes again.

Do the colour boxes now arrange from the top down?

Thanks.
Dj Wunder 6:56 AM - 4 March, 2013
No, same problem, and in following these steps I've found another glitch: When I select 'white' from the palette, the color box stays grey. Since grey is a color I use to keep tracks at the bottom of my library, I no longer know which tracks I've marked as grey and which are default white.

So anyways, I followed the steps, and the color boxes are definitely doing some type of sorting, as all the reds and all the yellows and all the purples and so on are clumped together, but they are not in the order of the color palette, which my whole sorting system is based on. Purple is the first color in the palette, so I'm used to my purple tracks being on top, followed by less-purple, followed by even-less-purple, followed by red, and so on. With default white somewhere near the bottom, after the blues, and grey at the bottom. Right now it's less-purple on top, followed by yellow, followed by red, then green, etc...
Serato, Support
Jamie W 8:11 PM - 4 March, 2013
Hey Dj Wunder,

Thanks for that information.
I will do some further testing today and tomorrow and get back to you :)

Thanks.
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:56 AM - 5 March, 2013
Hey Dj Wunder,

I have done some further testing.

When selecting WHITE as the colour tag inside SERATO DJ the colour is not visible therefore it stays GREY.

When you put tracks in order of "colour tag" the WHITE tags get grouped together at one end of your library and the GREY tag boxes get grouped at the other end.
This puts your coloured tags in the middle of your library.

Also I have noticed a couple random colour tags get placed in the incorrect location.

This is a bug and it has now been logged.
We hope to have it resolved in a future update.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

For now the work around is this.

1. Open Scratch Live
2. Change all your WHITE colour tags to another colour (BLUE)
3. Close Scratch Live
4. Launch Serato DJ
5. Put your library in order of colour tags.

It should list the colours correctly now (you may have a couple random ones, try changing the colour and then changing it back, it should put the tag back to its correct colour group)

I have attached an edited version of your _SERATO_ folder,

1. All your WHITE colour tags have been changed to BLUE.
2. You will need to RELOCATE files.

Thanks!
2:36 AM, 5 Mar 2013
Jamie W attached a file: _Serato_Edited.zip
Download· Permalink
2:00 AM, 19 Mar 2013
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Dj Wunder 7:37 AM - 26 August, 2013
Where are we at with this bug? I'd like to use 1.3 and the new FX on gigs but I can't work with my music all out of order.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:12 PM - 9 September, 2013
Hi Dj Wunder,

Alot of work is going into the 1.5 release, this is likely to be fixed in the upcoming release.

I'll be sure to follow up on this for you

Matt P
Dj Wunder 7:39 PM - 9 September, 2013
Dope, thanks Matt
Dj Wunder 6:34 AM - 18 December, 2013
Quote:
Hi Dj Wunder,

Alot of work is going into the 1.5 release, this is likely to be fixed in the upcoming release.

I'll be sure to follow up on this for you

Matt P

1.6 beta on OSX Mavericks. Still can't sort by color... :(
Dj Wunder 11:47 PM - 2 February, 2014
Okayyyy... We're almost there. Any news on this?
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:03 AM - 3 February, 2014
Still broke, I reported it in the BETA but didnt even get a reply --> serato.com
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:06 PM - 4 February, 2014
Hey Guys,

Sorry about the lack of communication on this.
We are aware of the problem and have been able to reproduce it. We will be investigating it further now that 1.6 is released.

Apologies for the static on the wire.

Matt P
8:01 AM, 19 Feb 2014
Dj Wunder 8:02 AM - 19 February, 2014
Closed? No, no, I think not
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:40 PM - 19 February, 2014
Hi Dj Wunder,

This thread, will close after 2 weeks if no replies are made. Feel free to give it a bump.

I've got no more information on this right now

Matt P
8:01 AM, 6 Mar 2014
Dj Wunder 7:20 AM - 4 April, 2014
OOOKAAAYYY. Here we are at 1.6.1, and the color sorting is still a no go. At this point I'd be fine with just a few words on why this is still so difficult to implement?
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:09 PM - 6 April, 2014
Hi Dj Wunder,

It is still being discussed and worked on. This will be getting fixed. As you can imagine with the big move for SSL users coming over to SDJ and implementing DVS has taken up a great deal of resources.
Hang tight.

Matt P
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
Dj Wunder 6:35 AM - 18 June, 2014
OOOKAAAYYY. Here we are at 1.6.3, and the color sorting is still a no go. At this point I'd be fine with just a few words on why this is still so difficult to implement?
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:44 AM - 26 June, 2014
Hey Dj Wunder,

Sorry about the static on the wire. its still a priority, However, I have no information on when to expect it fixed. I understand thats not super comforting but I don't have any other news at this point

Regards

Matt P
DJPsychic 8:14 PM - 14 July, 2014
Just wondering how sorting by color helps. Also, what do your colors mean to you? I understand that colors are personal to each person's library such as RED for explicit Green for Clean White for new songs and maybe Yellow for classic bangerz. If sorted by color what is gained?

I'm new to Serato coming from Traktor and we don't have this color feature.

Thanks in advance for your answer.
Dj Wunder 5:17 AM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Just wondering how sorting by color helps. Also, what do your colors mean to you? I understand that colors are personal to each person's library such as RED for explicit Green for Clean White for new songs and maybe Yellow for classic bangerz. If sorted by color what is gained?

I'm new to Serato coming from Traktor and we don't have this color feature.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Personally, I color my tracks based on their value to me as a DJ tool. Each purple is 3 degrees of all time classics. Each shade of red is 3 degrees of Bangers. Yellows - Solid tunes. Greens - the inbetweens. Blues - Tracks I don't really like but need to be in my library. White - duh. Grays - GTFO tracks.

With my main library sorted by color, every time I search I have my best stuff at the top of the result. So let's say I search for the artist "Journey". Up top we'd have "Don't Stop Believin'" and down at the bottom of the list is where you'll find "Homemade Love". Or what If I search for the song "Low"? I'll get quite a few songs like "Get Low" and "Bass Down Low" and "Low Rider", but right up top would be Flo-Rida's "Low" right where I need it when that company party gig really kicks in to high gear.

Truly though, it doesn't really matter how we each use the colors, does it? They're there, laid out in order, with their own little column that allows you to sort your library by color. SO SHOULDN'T YOUR F****IN' LIBRARY GET F***IN' SORTED IN F****IN' ORDER OF THE F***IN' COLOR PALLETTE, SERATO???

Imagine if you clicked to sort your library by 'bpm', and the 130s were lumped in with the 92s followed by some 155s with a couple 112s after that.
DJPsychic 10:45 AM - 15 July, 2014
Thanks Wunder. Now I know and will add this to my bag of tricks, once serato fixes it. I see you have been down for a few months. Part of my reason for asking was to keep your ticket open.

Good luck.
Dj Wunder 6:09 PM - 15 July, 2014
Quote:
Thanks Wunder. Now I know and will add this to my bag of tricks, once serato fixes it. I see you have been down for a few months. Part of my reason for asking was to keep your ticket open.

Good luck.

Much appreciated DJPsychic. This one tiny detail has made SDJ useless to me. To have Scratch Live completely dialed in and working as a powerful DJ tool, then to have a core component of that thrown away in SDJ, is pretty frustrating
Dj Wunder 8:58 PM - 19 August, 2014
SDJ 1.7 sorts tracks by color. Glorious! Thanks Serato
DJPsychic 11:03 PM - 19 August, 2014
Glad they came through for you. Enjoy. Now get back to mixing!
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:12 PM - 19 August, 2014
Glad you found that out man. Super happy to hear you are liking the beta.

Matt P
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015