DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Traktor Dj for the Ipad

Dave The One 4:19 PM - 21 February, 2013
19.99, two deck mixing; track preperation and live use with Traktor Pro.

youtu.be

Serato where are you?
sixxx 5:44 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:

Serato where are you?

In the Traktor forums? lmao

nm
Alixx J 7:09 PM - 21 February, 2013
Downloaded this and it's a weighty app, liking it a lot so far... If I was a traktor pro user, I'd be loving the fact that I could set cues and loops out and about. Serato needs a music-prep app quickly, they'll be left behind...

Interesting too that you can run a powered sound card using the camera USB adaptor, I wonder how stable it is though and if a rane SL3 would be supported :)
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:21 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
Downloaded this and it's a weighty app, liking it a lot so far... If I was a traktor pro user, I'd be loving the fact that I could set cues and loops out and about. Serato needs a music-prep app quickly, they'll be left :)

Weve been asking for this for yeas
Alixx J 7:26 PM - 21 February, 2013
It's not like the whole tablet thing is a shot in the dark, it's guaranteed income for serato. I'd be happy to pay a decent amount for it, if anything, I thought the traktor app was cheap (compared to other pro music apps). If traktor pro adds video support too, I'll be thinking seriously about my future game plan
Taipanic 7:29 PM - 21 February, 2013
Where is the music the IPad is using stored - internal, external, cloud?
Joshua Carl 7:30 PM - 21 February, 2013
damn it, this is exactly what i had suggested!
(for the offline library management)

serato.com
Alixx J 7:30 PM - 21 February, 2013
Marry up serato DJ and scratch live, add a music app for tablets, it'll all be rosy again. Oh, and whilst they're at it, they might finally add pitch'n time to sort the key lock :D
Alixx J 7:33 PM - 21 February, 2013
@taipanic, it's internal on the ipad.

The Mixed in key app stores data on the cloud now, this is an excellent idea for serato!! And something traktor doesn't have yet...
SeriousCyrus 7:38 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
damn it, this is exactly what i had suggested!
(for the offline library management)

serato.com

serato.com
Taipanic 7:48 PM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
@taipanic, it's internal on the ipad.

The Mixed in key app stores data on the cloud now, this is an excellent idea for serato!! And something traktor doesn't have yet...

OK, cool. thanks.
BERTO 3:25 AM - 22 February, 2013
serato has the chance now to bang out a sick library prep app.... Yea haters gonna be like traktor had it first blah blahh but serato can one up em!
DJMark 3:31 AM - 22 February, 2013
Much as I'm not a fan of NI, this looks really cool...both compared to other available DJ apps and the remote library management features.
Johbremat 3:54 AM - 22 February, 2013
I'm just praying for a 'second screen' app.

Happy to leave all the heavy lifting to SSL on a notebook. More grunt and greater capacity for my library (size of files at high fidelity, versus the number of files).

Would just love to have on an iOS or Android device:

- card view of three decks, with BPM/time remaining/pitch detail
- no waveforms
- library view with search, plus crates

S'pose everyone else would wanting looping and cue points, too.
Good3go85 4:46 AM - 22 February, 2013
Serato I'm waiting...take my money for an app to cue and edit tags on the go.
DJ Jonasty 9:45 AM - 22 February, 2013
I bought the app. It's awesome.
Dj Nyce 3:35 PM - 22 February, 2013
Quote:
twitter.com!/@taipanic, it's internal on the ipad.

traktor ipad stores the metadata on dropbox and it syncs with traktor 2.6. there a preference pane for it in the 2.6.1 update which added color coded key detection as well. this is one hell of a 'point' update.
XRM5 5:37 PM - 22 February, 2013
Seems like NI drops something every three or four months lately? It's insane.

But apparently the way NI got the app going was just by snapping up an iOS developer who already had a lot of momentum and integrating him into their development.

Serato could have done this, or still could--their existing developers might have their plates full, but they could just acquire or contract some help to make this happen.

If they had beaten NI to the punch with it, they could have done a LOT less and it still would have been huge news. Now it's only gonna be a big deal to existing Serato users, everybody else will be all, "meh," no matter what it does.
Joshua Carl 6:27 PM - 22 February, 2013
<butt hurt
Dj Nyce 6:43 PM - 22 February, 2013
i mean hell, all serato has to do is hit up Ibrahim and boom...key detection in 4 weeks.
Code:E 6:50 PM - 22 February, 2013
Now if it could control this with timecodes or HID cdjs that would be cool.
thebuttonfreak 7:05 PM - 22 February, 2013
I downloaded this last nit, it was really fun. It's easy enough to be fun but has enough going on so that it's interesting to play with if your really know what you're doing. It's definitely a toy, but a fun one.
Joshua Carl 9:17 PM - 25 February, 2013
if Rane was to drop a traktor certified empath rotary mixer.....
Code:E 9:50 PM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:

bedroom DJ's everywhere would buy them. no club would ever want one and sales would be mediocre at best. But might video Rane some serious street cred.
DJ DisGrace 10:57 PM - 25 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

bedroom DJ's everywhere would buy them. no club would ever want one and sales would be mediocre at best. But might video Rane some serious street cred.

uummmmm.....

Rotary and "bedroom" are at two opposite and unrelated ends of the spectrum. Try again.
Code:E 12:18 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

uummmmm.....

Rotary and "bedroom" are at two opposite and unrelated ends of the spectrum. Try again.

I personally i never seen a Rotary in any club. I have seen pictures of Rotary mixers in mega clubs installed off to the side because they have been there for years. I haven't seen any DJ use one recently. I have never seen one show up on any DJ rider and i have seen a lot of riders.

I have seen many bedroom DJ's have DJM800 Rotary kits installed. I have seen nerds have older allen&heath Rotary mixers in there awesome home studio.

No sarcasm. How are they not the same end? I find home guys who really love the SQ love the control Rotary gives them. I even agree. So how are they at different ends of the spectrum?
DJ DisGrace 12:29 AM - 26 February, 2013
Rotary is for old, old school vinyl club djs. Ureis used to be the standard.

Bedroom djs use controllers and sync (I'm generalizing here to make a point).

Quote:
I personally i never seen a Rotary in any club

Man, way to make me feel old!!! LOL
phatbob 12:37 AM - 26 February, 2013
Code:E, I respect your opinion on many things, but on the subject of rotary mixers you are talking a right load of old shit, my friend.

;-)
Code:E 1:05 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
Code:E, I respect your opinion on many things, but on the subject of rotary mixers you are talking a right load of old shit, my friend.

;-)

I'm never above being proven wrong. How else do we learn.

Disgrace your right I still have the older version of bedroom DJ's in my head. pre 2004, Before controllers at future shop.
the_black_one 1:08 AM - 26 February, 2013
Mp2016 at my main gig and love it
haze324 2:09 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

uummmmm.....

I personally i never seen a Rotary in any club.

Story in South Beach (used to be Amnesia) had one the other night when Erick Morillo was playing. Also had a DJM 2000 and 4 CDJ 2000's. He used the filters on the rotary quite a bit. I saw Francios K using a rotary at a WMC party last year at the Shelbourne. Can't remember many other times that I've seen big name DJ's at primetime clubs using one "recently".
Joshua Carl 3:02 AM - 26 February, 2013
We have t seen a new one from any of the big companies in a while.

But you would think with the big EDM push of the last few years someone would drop one...even perhaps on a controller.
With the bridge, and remix decks you would think that precise volume control would be such a sought after perk?

I think if the companies made a swap out option they worked well and wasn't a price issue you would see a lot more people using it....
I think the bedroom people on those would be the house hobby elitists... Who I wouldn't necessarily call a "bedroom dj" (Ie someone who wants to spin out but cannot)

The rane 2016 And xps is one of the smoothest things I've ever played on.
I literally felt like an sound mixer at the helm of a awesome kit with precise control over every aspect of every track... I started out on a bozak, and spent a few good years on a urei ...even got a good two weeks on that ballsy Allen & Heath a few times...

Another reason is the style has changed a bit. 15 years ago a 12 minute record, in most cases would see a fair amount of play, and you could methodically ride in a 3 minute buttery mix.

But I still think a company needs to revive the idea....
The way things roll, by the time it drops, EDM will be a dead stick (and revert back to the underground where GOOD dance music will once again be created)

youtu.be
blackavenger 5:01 AM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
EDM will be a dead stick (and revert back to the underground where GOOD dance music will once again be created)

CAN'T WAIT.........it's bound to happen sooner or later!!!!
phatbob 7:47 AM - 26 February, 2013
A lot of it comes down to the way music is produced, too.

If you're playing contemporary electro house, all the tracks are mastered as such a 'wall of sound' that if you try to mix two of them, for any length of time, without some serious subtractive EQing, it's going to sound awful.

And if your mixing style is focused so heavily on EQing, then the real benefits of using a rotary are basically redundant; the blend is acheived via the EQ, not the fader.

I agree that when 'real' house music rises again then we might see rotaries rise with it. And it will, don't worry. In the UK the biggest 'trendy' scene right now is based on the Hot Creations/Julio Bashmore/DC10 sound; America will catch up in time!
Code:E 8:15 AM - 26 February, 2013
I am hearing Deep house is catching back on again.
blackavenger 1:12 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
I am hearing Deep house is catching back on again.

It is.......I've DEFINITELY been feeling the newer (last 3 or so years) 'ish!!!

Labels like Hypercolour, Hot Waves, Noir Music, Get Physical, Pets Recordings, Future Boogie, etc... really coming correct lately!
blackavenger 1:14 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
In the UK the biggest 'trendy' scene right now is based on the Hot Creations/Julio Bashmore/DC10 sound; America will catch up in time!

Me and my peeps have been following that "Latest Trend's" rise from the start!!
phatbob 1:19 PM - 26 February, 2013
I think in the UK it's been a reaction to how aggressive and commercial dubstep was getting last year - the kids who are looking for more underground sounds have migrated to deep house and future garage in their droves.

As a House-loving old man I'm certainly glad about that!
SeriousCyrus 2:20 PM - 26 February, 2013
The electronic underground has been going on well over the years, from bass music to electro pop, plenty of indie bands and musicians putting out new stuff all over the place, especially UK, germany, canada, and even a little from the states. I always found Bleep.com to be a great source for new styles and upcoming artists.
Joshua Carl 3:12 PM - 26 February, 2013
I just want speed garage back :-)
Code:E 6:00 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
As a House-loving old man I'm certainly glad about that!

The owner of the promotion company i work for said the exact same thing last night at our meeting
blackavenger 6:09 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
I just want speed garage back :-)

It's sorta' making a comeback.......

Watchwww.youtube.com

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Dac 7:09 PM - 26 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know why you hate so much, its more knobs to twist!!!! you think they would be all the rage!

I'm kidding of course...(partly)
Joshua Carl 11:00 PM - 3 March, 2013
For $20 it's a pretty fun app.
Messing with it for the past hour.

Even just for library management !

SeRato please!
eugguy 2:53 PM - 5 March, 2013
Thumbs up for a rotary controller. Mixing on Rotaries are fun if you are a House DJ. Mixing on faders can be done to "sound" the same way on rotaries, but it isn't the same "feel." Even with the longer style line faders, or even mixing with eq's, the feel doesn't compare to a good quality rotary fader. If rane, traktor were to come up with a rotary style controller option, I am sure it would sell well to the House/Mixing crowd, bedroom DJ or not.
SUBSTANCE 10:35 PM - 8 March, 2013
The app is pretty cool. Definitely need a Serato version.
SUBSTANCE 7:39 PM - 7 May, 2013
iPhone version now too...