Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Secondary Midi Controller for Serato DJ

thrillary 8:56 PM - 19 February, 2013
Hey guys - I currently have the NS6 and am so happy DJ was just released so I can start using some of the features - namely midi mapping. However I am unsure about what secondary controller to get. I want to mainly use it for cue points, effects and possible some looping functions so I don't have to push the shift button on my controller. I am thinking about:

Kontrol X1 (probably top of my list)
Akai ipd8
Numark Orbit (just seen at this years NAMM...www.engadget.com)

But I'm scared I'm missing something that might be obvious....anyone have any insight or experience with the above controllers or ones I haven't mentioned? Thank you!
phatbob 9:38 PM - 19 February, 2013
If you want to use it for FX, some rotary controls are worth having, so the Orbit is probably out of the running (cool as it is).

I have an LPD8, and have used an X1, and I'd say for the usage you're after the X1 is definitely more flexible; although it is 3 times the price!
thrillary 1:02 AM - 20 February, 2013
Very true - time to save up for the X1 :) Thank you!
bmck2006 6:43 AM - 21 February, 2013
Consider the Allen & Heath K2 as well. I'm debating between that and an X1
ivan zilch 7:50 AM - 21 February, 2013
the X1
coz it comes with FREE, FULL version of Traktor *cough cough not for $129*
that you can use with ANY other hardware and ANY other audio interface (including the ddj-sx with viper's mapping)

and now they have FREE key detection in Traktor as well...
phatbob 10:15 AM - 21 February, 2013
Quote:
Consider the Allen & Heath K2 as well. I'm debating between that and an X1

Nothing wrong with the K2 if that takes your fancy.

I feel like the X1 is better value than the K2, though, unless you are planning to use the audio interface in the K2 with some other software.
Dave The One 3:48 PM - 21 February, 2013
I'm a big fan of the LPD 8; at one time Numark were toying with the idea of making the NSP6 sample player; it was an lpd8 rebranded as the NSP6. Here is the link from last year. www.djworx.com
Dj QiK 2:37 AM - 24 December, 2013
Has anybody here succeed in using the Kontrol X1 with serato dj?? i use a Numark MIxdeck but i wan't a second MIDI controller, any help please??
TelosHedge 8:24 PM - 24 December, 2013
Quote:
Has anybody here succeed in using the Kontrol X1 with serato dj?? i use a Numark MIxdeck but i wan't a second MIDI controller, any help please??

mine works just fine. i use it for cue points and loop enables, among a few other things. functions perfectly, just like in serato.
Maskrider 5:33 AM - 25 December, 2013
LPD8 just do the job for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:53 PM - 26 January, 2014
Just mapped my Kontrol X1 MK1 to control the Internal FX of Serato DJ.

Perfect match tbh.

Its just ideal in both the 3 FX and Single FX mode.

I also mapped the 8 cue points to as my Rane 62 has only 5.

I dont know what else to map on it.
mdg14 12:58 PM - 9 September, 2014
There is a new midi controller from reloop: www.reloop.com

Its made for Serato DJ.
938MyDJ 6:41 PM - 9 September, 2014
These were way back when I still use SSL...
SP6 Sampler Volumes - I always start with these.
Video Crossfade Buttons - I don't want my crossfader attached when I do videos.

For Serato DJ...
Start Time & Stop Time (for my SX) - Use the the knobs on top.
Then mostly video controls for me... FX, Image, Text, Etc...

Edit Beatgrids would be useful too... or If you have P n T, or Flip.
deejdave 10:57 PM - 9 September, 2014
I still have my X1 but I have since been using the SP1. I will always love the X1's design and build but for me there is no comparison in capabilities. For example NONE of the mentioned controllers can map Slicer. Also the SP1 came with Serato Video. I understand it is a little more costly but I got mine for $300 and to me it was worth every penny.

The Reloop Neon is my next sub controller though which I am pretty excited for.

These are all great controllers though it just depends on your needs. None worked quite like the Sp1 for me though.

Quote:
the X1
coz it comes with FREE, FULL version of Traktor *cough cough not for $129*
that you can use with ANY other hardware and ANY other audio interface (including the ddj-sx with viper's mapping)

and now they have FREE key detection in Traktor as well...

Mine only came with Traktor LE (although I know they run specials from time to time.) and I have heard that Traktor's key detection is one of the worst a 54% as tested by djtechtools this year www.djtechtools.com ......................... which doesn't seem as effective as using MIK or Keyfinder and having Serato (or traktor) read the tags.
DJBarro 1:57 AM - 2 April, 2015
I have a VCI 300 MKII vestax's controller AND a Xone:k2 well maped and used as a secondary controller, affectin fx, hotcues, sp6, loops, roll, now beatjumping, etc. using the latching layers. Very cool

NOW
in order to use the sound card of the k2, i want to use it w/ableton at the same time that SeratoDJ, BUT Serato turns on and off and on and off the controller, despite the configuration in the midi tab in setup. The controller is not enabled, when appears, then turn off turn on...

Sadly, i'm a windows user.

How can I tell to SDJ not to mess w/xone:K2?
kebzer 7:51 AM - 2 April, 2015
Since we're talking about SDJ here, I'd say you go with the DDJ-SP1. If you're on a budget, go for an LPD8.