Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Library question:

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
prof. rockwell 5:05 AM - 16 January, 2006
Bon jour - I am the proud owner of a new microwave, er, SSL, and had a question that I could not find an answer for in the manual or searching the forum:

where does SSL read the actual song files from? To clarify: I had tried out Traktor DJ studio to get a feel for laptop djing, and created a Traktor music folder on my harddrive (songs weeded out from my itunes that I would play out). After installing SSL, I just dragged and dropped these songs from the import window. So does SSL create copies of these files in the ScratchLIVE folder? Or is it reading these files from my Traktor music folder?

The reason I want to know is to make sure that I don't have duplicate copies of the song files taking up space on my internal HD.

Thanks!
DJ_X_Trodinaire 6:01 AM - 16 January, 2006
it reads where you got it from

it does not duplicate the files
prof. rockwell 6:18 AM - 16 January, 2006
coolio thanx XT.

Another question for anyone out there: after importing some songs into SSL, they all have very strange comments like this:

00000B89 00000B89 00006787

0000046D 00000462 000073C1

it's not bothering me, but just curious if anyone knows what these mean/are?
nobspangle 6:40 PM - 17 January, 2006
those are crc checks, some encoders add the crc check as a comment, nothing to do with SSL, they would have been there before.
Prez 3:35 AM - 18 January, 2006
and if the next question is what's a crc? ...... lol

Cyclic Redundancy Check

A CRC is bit of mathematics used to ensure that your data is OK when being transfered. It's a checking procedure that quickly identifies when data has been damaged.