Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

What do you think about a Pioneer DJM 800 with SSL Built in?

WarpNote 6:19 PM - 4 August, 2008
I've been searching this forum for a long time but could not find a similar suggestion anywhere, so here we go:

What do you think of a DJM-800SL ? (Built-in Scratch Live to the mixer like TTM57)

I am not looking to start a Rane vs Pioneer debate, those have been done endlessly elsewhere.

What I am thinking is that it would be so nice with a DJM-800 that would connect directly to your computer with no need for any wiring at all except the USB (or firewire?). The majority of clubs I play have all favored the 800, and many of these clubs build the equipment right into the dj-boot, bolted down, often very hard to get to the connectors, and often not that much space for anything else.

I realize that Serato has a partnership going with Rane. Still they've now teamed up with Numark & Vestax so why not Pioneer? I guess the reasons could be many, but still there must be a market for such a mixer? I'm puzzled over not having seen this suggestion on the forums before. Maybe theres is 'only' hip-hop djs using Scratch Live After all?

In such a configuration questions do arise, 2 channels of DVS or more? What should be computer software, what should be in the mixer, what midi options, and what about video?

Id love to hear your opinions on this.
dj_penguin 9:19 PM - 4 August, 2008
Scratch LIVE! is a collaborative project between Serato Audio Research and Rane Corp. Serato makes the software, Rane builds the hardware and presses the records. Serato's collaboration with Vestax and Numark on the Itch product line is a completely seperate matter. Serato employees have said numerous times they would have happily worked with Rane on Itch, except for the fact that Rane has no experience building DJ software controllers.

There is zero chance of a DJM-800SL.
WarpNote 7:13 AM - 5 August, 2008
I never noticed the Rane Records label before today. Lol. Anyway, still, I guess it comes down to their interest, if Serato/Rane licensed to Pioneer then they could make some money from that, the DJM-800 being a "club standard". Again I guess they could be cannibalizing their own market.
dj_penguin 5:28 PM - 5 August, 2008
The release of a Rane MP-45SL or a Rane EmpathSL is far more likely than a three-way collaboration involving Pioneer if the desire is to target the club mixer market. In all honesty, I don't think any of those theoretical products will ever be produced.
treeo730 3:07 AM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
Serato employees have said numerous times they would have happily worked with Rane on Itch, except for the fact that Rane has no experience building DJ software controllers.

There is zero chance of a DJM-800SL.

Hey I know your just repeating what you heard, but isn't the 57 a software controller?
WarpNote 12:26 PM - 13 August, 2008
Quote:
Scratch LIVE! is a collaborative project between Serato Audio Research and Rane Corp. Serato makes the software, Rane builds the hardware....

You do know that Pioneer and Serato are working together making the CDJ 400 a native Serato controller right? www.pioneerelectronics.com No direct competition to the mixer market but still...

Quote:
The release of a Rane MP-45SL or a Rane EmpathSL is far more likely

I disagree, at least here in Europe, the MP-44 and the Empath are niche products. Not holding anything against them, they sound great, but the DJM pioneer line is the CLUB STANDARD over here. (First the DJM500/DJM600 and later the DJM800) If you go into a club almost anywhere you are likely to see a djm mixer, technics turntables and most likely cdj 800/1000 in a setup (maybe an occasional denon or numark cd players) and thats it. This is why most club dj's ar accustomed to djm and will continue to be so, much like the affection for the technics turntable. To be honest, I believe the first dvs to be included internally the right way into the djm would be the market leader...

Quote:
I am not looking to start a Rane vs Pioneer debate, those have been done endlessly elsewhere.

As I already said. If you don't think it's likely they'll build a DJM800SL, fine. Id still want to hear what you think about the idea?
DeeJMillz 10:06 PM - 14 August, 2008
id buy it...imagine the possiblities
DJMark 12:04 AM - 15 August, 2008
Quote:

I'm imagining Serato with crap sound.

Thanks anyway.
nik39 1:02 AM - 15 August, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks anyway.

+1
WarpNote 7:26 AM - 15 August, 2008
Quote:

Thanks anyway.

Really?
I think the 800 sound rather good. Maybe not like Allen & Heath, but lot better than the the 600. And theres the 4 channels....
DJMark 7:22 PM - 15 August, 2008
Quote:
I think the 800 sound rather good. Maybe not like Allen & Heath, but lot better than the the 600.

A rabid dog vomiting sounds better than the DJM-600 (or the DJM-500).

Seriously, my 1979 vintage "Radio Shack Disco Mixer" sounded better than a DJM-500/600.

The 800 is an improvement, but is mediocre at best.
dj_penguin 10:44 PM - 15 August, 2008
Quote:
As I already said. If you don't think it's likely they'll build a DJM800SL, fine. Id still want to hear what you think about the idea?

Okay, you want to hear my ideas about a theoretical DJM-800SL, here they are:

1.) It doesn't matter how much of a European standard DJM mixers are, an MP-45SL or EmpathSL are more likely than a DJM-800SL because the Empath and MP-44 are pre-existing club mixer products built by Rane, much like the TTM-56 scratch mixer is the basis of the TTM-57SL. If Rane and Serato decided to release a Scratch Live-equipped club mixer, you can bet they'll pick a Rane model as the basis over a Pioneer model.

2.) Pioneer mixers suck. They're only popular because they have built-in effects that are good quality. The faders are garbage and break far too easily, the EQs are boxy, the buttons get dirty and stick, the monitoring signal flow is maddeningly illogical, the input/channel routing leaves a lot to be desired, and the form factor is annoying.

3.) Pioneer's CDJ-400 is one of several products being integrated into SSL as a controller, along with Denon products, and Vestax products. All three of those companies compete directly with Rane in the DJ mixer segment. If you think Rane is going to take money out of their own pockets and give it to a competitor, you're dreaming.
WarpNote 5:18 AM - 19 August, 2008
So, Penguin, how about somthing like this then ?
scratchlive.net
WarpNote 6:40 AM - 20 October, 2015
Ah, the memories...
Just wanna thank Serato for bringing the Club Kit, use it most weekends, even though I love my 62 (and 68 before that...)