Off-topic Discussion

That which does not fit elsewhere. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Rapper ALIVE (Vibe Magazine)

D-Two 8:52 PM - 28 July, 2008
Dont know if this a repost. sorry if it is.

www.vibe.com

first off f*** vibe magazine.
2nd there missing like 20 rappers i can think of off the top of my head that are still rapping.
and 3rd all the good rappers go against eachother right off the bat so they can get eliminated.(Mos Def vs. Talib)(Ghostface vs Raekwon)(Meth vs Redman)(Common vs Black Thought)

your thoughts?
DVDjHardy 8:55 PM - 28 July, 2008
I just saw Eminem vs. Soulja Boy.

Goodnight!
D-Two 8:58 PM - 28 July, 2008
oh ya that was another good rapper vs good rapper....=/
john blaze 9:12 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
Dont know if this a repost. sorry if it is.

www.vibe.com

first off f*** vibe magazine.
2nd there missing like 20 rappers i can think of off the top of my head that are still rapping.
and 3rd all the good rappers go against eachother right off the bat so they can get eliminated.(Mos Def vs. Talib)(Ghostface vs Raekwon)(Meth vs Redman)(Common vs Black Thought)

your thoughts?

A play in game between Diddy and Jim Jones? lol.

The brackets are amusing to me.

I don't get why they have rappers who work together often going against eachother, such as the ones you listed.

The seeding is all out of wack too. Q-Tip @ # 14? Black Thought @ 13? Really?

No Kurupt? No Styles P?

Now i remember why I stopped subscribing to them years ago. They don't know shit.
dj cubicle 9:13 PM - 28 July, 2008
All I gotta say is Biggie, 2Pac, Pun, and Pimp C would smack the s*** outta whoever set this up.
john blaze 9:16 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:
All I gotta say is Biggie, 2Pac, Pun, and Pimp C would smack the s*** outta whoever set this up.

Lol.
DJ ThumpL 11:16 PM - 28 July, 2008
Quote:

Goodnight!

lmao
Caramac 9:44 AM - 29 July, 2008
Yeah this is boog.
sG 8:19 PM - 13 October, 2008
so Eminem won eh? interesting.
bourbonstmc 8:20 PM - 13 October, 2008
How did Soulja Boy lose?
stevie o 1:17 AM - 14 October, 2008
Eminem is the best rapper alive and ever followed by nas. That's based purely on lyricism.
Jsanty 2:43 AM - 14 October, 2008
thats cute, they got

snoop dogg vs bow wow
dj shadow from detroit 7:11 AM - 14 October, 2008
vanilla ice vs mc hammer
D-Two 8:50 PM - 14 October, 2008
If vibe magazine said it then i guess it must be true.
dj shadow from detroit 1:39 AM - 15 October, 2008
eminem new cd is gonna be fire.
stevie o 1:41 AM - 15 October, 2008
When does it drop?
dj shadow from detroit 1:46 AM - 15 October, 2008
G_illn 3:49 AM - 15 October, 2008
2 pac was a very average rapper lyricaly. he was like kurt cobain on guitar, good enough to sound good but played the right part at the right time. plus an extremely hard working individual. he was good , but no where near the best M.C. . not even by a long shot. ice cube in the first half of the ninties had way more skill then 2 pac . the whole east west, biggie tupac thing is what made pac so prolific. Biggie on the other hand was one of the best lyrical MC's
dj shadow from detroit 1:28 PM - 15 October, 2008
sorry but your wrong.2 pac was a lyrical genius.

biggie was also.
tig ol' bitties 1:36 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
sorry but your wrong.2 pac was a lyrical genius.

biggie was also.

+1

They were different types of rappers, but they both told stories and both were always on point.

None of this one liner try to make you laugh bullshit like Wayne.
DJ Jonasty 1:39 PM - 15 October, 2008
I read somewhere that they were sayin pac was average and overrated. So I thought about it, then listened to some pac, and no. They are wrong. He was on a whole other level.
tig ol' bitties 1:47 PM - 15 October, 2008
Pac lacked the production, that the only thing I think that kept him from being the best ever, but even with that, he still managed to put together an uncountable number of sick tracks.
AMF 2:20 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:

Goodnight!

Whoa. I thought you were joking. =P

Eminem the best rapper alive? I'd have to say YES. There is only 1 or 2 (Nas maybe Jay Z) that could give him a run for that title. I'm not mad at Vibe for this outcome. I'm really curious to see what this next album is gonna sound like.

As for Pac, I never saw what everyone else saw in him. He did have some bangers tho.
DVDjHardy 2:27 PM - 15 October, 2008
Haha, I think a good case can be made for best rapper alive for Andre 3000, Rakim, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem and Lupe - yep, I said it!

BUT, a magazine that puts Soulja Boy on this list is a big fucking joke!
AMF 2:36 PM - 15 October, 2008
Andre 3000, I can't even get past the clothes he wears.

Rakim, I wanna hear something else besides a song from 20 years ago.

Lupe, he's still too new to be considered imo.

It's obvious there are some DOPE/GREAT rappers alive. I still say it has to be Eminem, Jay Z, or Nas. I don't think anyone would argue that point (or maybe they would!).
DVDjHardy 2:48 PM - 15 October, 2008
You can really make an argument against anyone, its easy. I forgot to mention Common.

But anyways, I think Andre 3000's clothes shouldn't matter!
bourbonstmc 2:48 PM - 15 October, 2008
Last time I checked, both KRS-One and Chuck D. were still alive.
DVDjHardy 2:59 PM - 15 October, 2008
I defnitely think Chuck D and I really like and listen to KRS-One a lot, but I guess I just like the ones I mentioned better. We will never agree about who is the clear winner in this discussion, but we can all agree that fucking Soulja Boy should not be a candidate for the best rapper alive!
AMF 3:01 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
But anyways, I think Andre 3000's clothes shouldn't matter!

Sorry, I'm prejudice! lol

KRS-One could have a case too. Even if you listen to recent stuff, he is STILL ill after 20 years. Some of his beats are suspect, but he is never off of his game.

Public Enemy is probably my favorite group of all time. But Chuck is not better than Em, Jay or Nas. Or KRS.
mister iLL 5:03 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
eminem new cd is gonna be fire.

LAWL
dj shadow from detroit 5:53 PM - 15 October, 2008
top 5

1.2 pac
2.biggie
3.eminem
4.jay z
5.nas
in any order.
rakim is 6.
common 7.

2 pac was a beast on another level.
if you dont thank so its because you never listened to the tracks that didnt make the radio.
and biggie also that ready to die album is sick.along with the others.

a dope mc can put it on you in any way from nas if i ruled the worls to eminem stan.

they hit you in many ways.from positive to street truth.

andre 3000 is better then average but no on this level.
DVDjHardy 5:56 PM - 15 October, 2008
Mike, I'll play some old Outkast songs for you next time I see and then you can argue with me about this! :)
tig ol' bitties 5:57 PM - 15 October, 2008
2Pac - "Str8 Ballin" is my JAM!
dj shadow from detroit 6:04 PM - 15 October, 2008
i like outkast.because there different and there sytle is the shit.

but all i have to do is pop in some 2 pac and biggie and sit back and smile.

;)
AMF 6:08 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
2 pac was a beast on another level. if you dont thank so its because you never listened to the tracks that didnt make the radio.

*sigh*

Yes I did. I got everything up to the first Makiveli album. Definitely some good stuff in there. Lots of bangers. But he was not a "greatest rapper" by any means.
dj shadow from detroit 6:18 PM - 15 October, 2008
ok i respect your opinion but thats just mine.

eminem was sick but with him stopping and saying he is retiring every 10 minutes.set him back in my book.he can redeem his self with this next album and i hope he does.because it will be one more reason to put detroit back on the map in a positive way :)
DVDjHardy 6:21 PM - 15 October, 2008
I can't make an argument against Biggie, I don't think ANYONE can! The rest are all up for debate. I personally REALLY like Tupac, so I'm biased. I just think there is no way people can agree on the best rapper alive.

PS - Next I see AMF, I will do do my best to dress up like Andre 3000, lol.

nwfilmforum.files.wordpress.com
AMF 6:23 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
I can't make an argument against Biggie, I don't think ANYONE can! The rest are all up for debate. I personally REALLY like Tupac, so I'm biased. I just think there is no way people can agree on the best rapper alive.

PS - Next I see AMF, I will do do my best to dress up like Andre 3000, lol.

nwfilmforum.files.wordpress.com

Oh lord please don't! lol.
DVDjHardy 6:25 PM - 15 October, 2008
lol, is this any better? halloween is right around the corner!

inversehiphop.files.wordpress.com
AMF 6:39 PM - 15 October, 2008
=(

Sorry. I'm against people who wear 30 different colors in there clothes. lol!
tig ol' bitties 6:41 PM - 15 October, 2008
admit it...if you could rock it and look good, you would! :P haha
Steve Dub. 7:09 PM - 15 October, 2008
Eminem fell off after his 2nd album. I said it.
tig ol' bitties 7:11 PM - 15 October, 2008
Nah, I think it was after Eminem Show. (3rd)

I think this new one will be as good as if not better then the Marshall Mathers LP
FlexyD 8:10 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
Nah, I think it was after Eminem Show. (3rd)

I think this new one will be as good as if not better then the Marshall Mathers LP

I agree
G_illn 8:27 PM - 15 October, 2008
i understand that influence 2 pac had, i really do. yes he was good, talented, and a good actor. he went to acting school, he was a natural. the thing that made him so good was his connection to people. but m.c. / rapper wise, he was no where near the best. method man, pharcyde, common, jay z, ice cube, lil wayne(so what if he is full of one liners, they are all genius metaphores and done with such style) AZ, Q-TIP, BIG DADDY KANE. all of these guys were and are better m.c.'s then 2 pac. but everyone has different tastes, that is what it really comes down to. sorry i do not mean to be confrondational .. lol ..
bourbonstmc 9:01 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
i understand that influence 2 pac had, i really do. yes he was good, talented, and a good actor. he went to acting school, he was a natural. the thing that made him so good was his connection to people. but m.c. / rapper wise, he was no where near the best. method man, pharcyde, common, jay z, ice cube, lil wayne(so what if he is full of one liners, they are all genius metaphores and done with such style) AZ, Q-TIP, BIG DADDY KANE. all of these guys were and are better m.c.'s then 2 pac. but everyone has different tastes, that is what it really comes down to. sorry i do not mean to be confrondational .. lol ..

You lose all credibility when you include Weezy in your short list.
dj shadow from detroit 9:14 PM - 15 October, 2008
i cant believe you put lil wayne on that list.

all those rappers are good except weezy!

as far as you saying the rest better then pac thats insane.please go listen to all eyes on me then come back.and post. :)

i respect everyones opinion.

but go listen to all eyes on me.
thats not even his best album.
stevie o 11:02 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:

Agree with everything you said except lil Wayne! Yes 2pac was overated,... Also big pun was underared.

Now how can you add lil Wayne to any list except the list that includes talentless, crackheads?
Take a lil Wayne acapella and listen to it twice, I'm sure you will agree he's a talentless hack. He gets the best beats, that why he's perceived as a good rapper.
dj shadow from detroit 11:19 PM - 15 October, 2008
2pac overated ?

wow !
stevie o 11:48 PM - 15 October, 2008
probably the most overated rapper ever.
G_illn 12:08 AM - 16 October, 2008
again it is all about personal preference......... but lil wayne is not just hype beats, in reality a milli is the most annoying beat ever.
BUT TELL ME THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD A HIT WITH NO CHOURS? KRS 1 probably. before that??? and honestly it is exactly like when jay z came out, everyone is just pushing him to the side because you do not understand what he is saying. and if you do,,,,,, then how do you now think it is dope as fuck. think about it, he does not get to gun talk ish in his raps, maybe some but not to much, and even when talking about material shit, he does it with almost perfect metaphores and they are all original shit. and yes i have listened to all eyes on me, i have listened to all of pacs albums and they are great. but so was nirvava and kurt cobain was the most average guitar player out there.
..... why do i even type this much, it is not like i am gonna change anyones personaly tastes. lol
DVDjHardy 1:57 AM - 16 October, 2008
Quote:
BUT TELL ME THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD A HIT WITH NO CHOURS?

Just because its a hit doesn't mean its good. And Lil Wayne is nowhere near the level of others you're comparing him to.
Dj Rehab 2:01 AM - 16 October, 2008
Atliens,Aquemini by-Outkast. 3000 is just flat out scary on these albums. I just don't see how people can't see the greatness of his flow. 2pac as a RAPPER is overrated. But he is still the most important thing ever to hip-hop. And yes, I have listened to 2pacalypse Now.
The Notourious B.K.S. 4:37 PM - 16 October, 2008
Its an impossible argument, there is no clear cut winner. IMO Biggie was the best to ever bless the mic up to 1997, I feel like Jay really picked up the slack. Of all of Jay's catalog, Reasonable doubt was before its time, and Volume 2 really made him a household name, but everybody sleeps on Volume 1, there was some ill, ill flow, raps, and production on that album, of all his albums, its one of the most underated.

As far as pac goes, I love Tupac, but I think the thing that sticks out in my mind about tupacs allure is his delivery of rhymes, he really knew how to pull @ heart strings and play his listeners emotions. He has the most swagger of any MC ever! I would say there are quite a few MC's who could have taken the title in their day. Kane was a beast before anybody really had a sick flow, Big L was cut down before we could have witnessed his best work. Shit even 50, Get Rich or Die Trying is IMO the last great Gangsta Rap album released in the last 5 years.

Now I could argue that Common, Mos Def, etc are also great MC's but in a different way. Same goes for KRS etc. Hip hop is too broad to have it narrowed down to one mc, there is so much more to come as well. Its a lose/lose argument.
stevie o 5:05 PM - 16 October, 2008
solid post
bourbonstmc 5:08 PM - 16 October, 2008
Is this great rapper still alive?

Watchwww.youtube.com
john blaze 5:13 PM - 16 October, 2008
Quote:
Eminem fell off after his 2nd album. I said it.

I always felt like he fell off after the 3rd, but now that I think about it, the 3rd album isn't as good as the 1st and 2nd.
Steve Dub. 6:05 PM - 16 October, 2008
Exactly, although the 3rd isn't horrible, it never got more than two spins from me in my car. The first and second I listened to A LOT.
Matterhorn 6:21 PM - 16 October, 2008
Outkast FTW!
CMOS 6:44 PM - 16 October, 2008
Black Thought gets NO LOVE. He is wayyyy better than andre3000 but gets no mention EVER on these types of lists.
LightsOut06 7:14 PM - 16 October, 2008
Quote:
Black Thought gets NO LOVE. He is wayyyy better than andre3000 but gets no mention EVER on these types of lists.

I love Thought as much as the next man but he aint touching 3k man.
player89 10:16 PM - 3 September, 2017
Top 10 IN ANY ORDER
TUPAC
EMINEM
SEAN PRICE
PRODIGY
NAS
METHOD MAN
VINNIE PAZ
BIG PUN
BIGGIE
SICK JACKEN(PSYCHO REALM)
MENTION(DR DRE, JAY Z, RAEKWON,BIG L,KRS ONE, RAKIM,DADDY KANE,GURU,DMX,GZA,PMD,KOOL G RAP,RUSTE JUXX,REDMAN,ICE CUBE)
RnBDJkb 6:59 PM - 14 September, 2017
I thought "Alive" was the key word for this list?